Haze outdoors 2013-2014

I have been following your season .
It`s been a great ride .

Cpl questions and a couple of tips .

Do you think if you grew the plants as single colas or say 3-4 tops you might have more success ?
Why I ask is some of the plants were so bushy they would not have got good air flow through them . And the inner part of the plant would rarely see sun or feel the breeze .

Absolutely... but I've never grown MNS strains before so I had no idea they were going to get bushy like that. You're dead right but in all honesty it's the mould in the buds... bud rot... which really causes the most issues. I spray the middles regularly with baking soda and sometimes copper or sulfur. Once flowering starts I never spray the buds with anything.

From my exp testing Haze just after harvest can be mis leading .
Some phenos taste like hay and have no buzz to the high . When uncured .
A month later and its a different proposition . 2-3 months and they are just coming into their prime . Over 12 months old is different again . The Haze shines through after other terps have mellowed .

Hmmm I've already discovered that many of the MNS plants get stronger after even a few days cure. Some of these buds are starting to pack a real wallop.

I harvested my hazes this morning in the rain so I'll be drying them now. I've never tried Nev Haze but heard a lot about it.

Thanx for the feedback Mary Mary. Much appreciated. I'll look into the sheoke thing. Pretty sure we have them here.

scrubdog

hey scrubdog ,lovely pics as always,, nice to see you get some decent harvest after the rocky ride good job ,those mt and mango hazes look like they come thru well at the end for you to,, did any of your crosses take?

hey scrubdog ,lovely pics as always,, nice to see you get some decent harvest after the rocky ride good job ,those mt and mango hazes look like they come thru well at the end for you to,, did any of your crosses take?

Hey thanx harvestreaper and thanx for following the grow. Appreciate your support.

All the hazes are loaded with seed... especially the Mango Haze Inbred which had 3 Black Widow males around it. Haven't had time to check if the seed is ripe. Everything is still being processed.

I also see seed on the Nev Haze X Mango Thai and the Nev Haze so that is either Malawi or Black Widow male. Hopefully there's a good spread of Malawi in there which will give me a killer haze made up of three sativas.

But dunno if the seed is ripe yet. In other plants I've pulled none of the seed was ready but these have had flowering males next to them all season... so fingers crossed.

I really like the look of these hazes even though the yield was tiny and I pulled them about two months early because the cold was killing them.

scrubdog

Mango Thai

Mango Thai after growing for six months and flowering for two months!!! Everything else is harvested. Many of the hybrids fully completed flowering and have since died.

I have six Mango thai plants I think. They were the biggest plants of the season by miles. They're clones so flowering is the same on all of them.

All have been dusted with pollen several times and three of them have had males in full flower next to them all season. Two Mango Thai had male plants actually growing up through them so the male flowers were mixed up amongst the Mango Thai tops.

So far I have not detected a single seed on any of the Mango Thai plants. Unbelievable!!! My number one priority of the whole season was to seed my Mango Thai....

Still there might be seed there somewhere. I'll leave them growing till winter kills them although I notice a lot of mildew and bud rot on the Mango Thai in the photo:

scrubdog

Mango Widow

So far the only ripe seed I'm seeing is from that Mango Haze Inbred above... and plenty of it by the looks of it.

She had three big sativa pheno Black widow males surrounding her so I guess Black Widow x Mango Haze Inbred is a good solid cross I can run next year with a chance of reasonable mould resistance and maybe finishing in time.

That's a good start to the seed collection anyway.

Did an early smoke test (overnight cure finished in the oven) on the seedplant Mango Haze Inbred above. I think I chose the right seedplant which is a miracle. First off it has a lovely bud structure. Little running sativa buds just encrusted with resin. Plus the little resin glands go brown rather than white which I like. No real smell unfortunately except when breaking it up but a lovely smooth taste. One of the top three most potent so far but not in a scary way. Very cruisy but you know you've smoked a joint. Considering it was immature when harvested and fast dried then I consider this to be a very strong result.

So far all the real hazy Hazes look like they're going to blow everything else away in the potency area. The Neville Haze is like little sticky nuggets of toffee.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Hey thanx harvestreaper and thanx for following the grow. Appreciate your support.

All the hazes are loaded with seed... especially the Mango Haze Inbred which had 3 Black Widow males around it. Haven't had time to check if the seed is ripe. Everything is still being processed.

I also see seed on the Nev Haze X Mango Thai and the Nev Haze so that is either Malawi or Black Widow male. Hopefully there's a good spread of Malawi in there which will give me a killer haze made up of three sativas.

But dunno if the seed is ripe yet. In other plants I've pulled none of the seed was ready but these have had flowering males next to them all season... so fingers crossed.

I really like the look of these hazes even though the yield was tiny and I pulled them about two months early because the cold was killing them.

scrubdog
that's good to hear you got some beans those widows and mh looked solid and seemed to do well in your enviroment sounds like a real nice cross to ,,btw thankyou for posting your thread been a treat and your determination is inspirin I think you should be renamed scrubulldog lol

,,btw thankyou for posting your thread been a treat and your determination is inspirin I think you should be renamed scrubulldog lol

Thankyou mate. As I've said I work alone so it's actually been quite helpful sharing my grow for once. I don't feel so isolated now thanx to the words of encouragement on this thread. Bushweed is always an inspiration to me.

I wouldn't say it's over yet. The growing phase is over but I still have to thoroughly test everything and grade it for future reference. Photograph some cured buds for comparison purposes later on.

I'm really just trying to show people what various MNS strains look like outdoors and how they rate just to help people make choices on what they want to grow. Like before I posted up this thread there was very limited info and photos on The Doors and Black Widow growing outside. Now people know what to expect. So I hope I've helped add to the knowledge base on this site.

I'm off to look for Mango Thai seed damn it. There must be at least ONE seed somewhere... surely.

scrubdog

I hope you find that mango thai seed Scrub! You worked hard enough for it! Glad you found some seed in the others. Be waiting for the smoke report! :)

Very nice photos everyone! Thanks for sharing ! All these haze plant photos really make me roll a nevilles haze joint ! And I will.... :cool:

Thankyou mate. As I've said I work alone so it's actually been quite helpful sharing my grow for once. I don't feel so isolated now thanx to the words of encouragement on this thread.

scrubdog

Thanks for sharing your grow Scrubdog, it's been a great read. I too am anticipating the smoke reports.
Btw, my mates Golden Tigers went to the first week of May. I sampled some last night and it was clear, clean and magical and that's with no cure. Right up there.

Mango Thai Seeds

Well I have Mango Thai seeds. I'd estimate about 50 but it's hard to tell until buds dry. I picked all the immature bud sticks (well the buds run the length of my arm along the branches).

I had a pile knee deep out in the field of fluffy trash and I went through every single bud and checked for seed. Took a long, long time and my eyes went wonky from concentrating for so long.

One plant out of six clones had seed. Plants were huge. I just love this strain. Light green leaves, fresh mango smell and the best bud structure out of any Thai I've ever grown. That's why I went to so much trouble to try and get seed off it. One of the top plants I've ever grown in my life.

Father is a very sativa Black Widow and I'm happy with that. Malawi would have been better or Nev Haze but Black Widow has sort of become the all purpose genetic tool that I reach for when I don't know what else to use but don't want to compromise traits too much.

Black Widow seems to be a good all rounder really. As long as the seeds are ripe then I'll be running this cross I made next year to have a look at what I've created.

Yay my season was a success! All I really cared about was getting that seed. Everything else is just a bonus for me. Took me two years and two seasons and one hell of a lot of work to make that seed. That's the most extreme effort I've ever made to seed a strain.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Braille

If seeds are my priority I squeeze the buds to feel for seeds .
Working from the preflowers to the top of the bud like milking . Dropping them into a dish .
Very few seeds elude me using that method .

Yes it strips a lot of resin off onto my finger tips . But the seeds are what its about so .

Golden Tiger still flowering here at 25 deg .

If seeds are my priority I squeeze the buds to feel for seeds .
Working from the preflowers to the top of the bud like milking . Dropping them into a dish .
Very few seeds elude me using that method .

Yes it strips a lot of resin off onto my finger tips . But the seeds are what its about so .

Golden Tiger still flowering here at 25 deg .

Yes I do that too... or if seeds are all I really care about then I'll over dry the buds on purpose till they're brittle and just crumble them till only the seeds are left.

I just don't like squeezing buds in the field because my fingers get so sticky I can't work my cigarette lighter. It clogs up with the resin off my thumb.

You can usually see the seeds pretty easy on a landrace sativa when the buds are still wispy.

The whole purpose of this season's entire grow was to seed the Mango Thai. I purchased all the MNS strains just to find suitable males. I got Mango Thai seeds to two different Black Widow males.

So I'm pretty pleased. Black widow isn't going to bring the Thai back enough though I don't think. It probably still won't complete flowering so now I have to work out what to hit it with next time to bring the flowering forward even more without compromising everything else.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Widow Bubble

Have you smoked Widow before ?
I find Black Widow , Mango Widow and La Nina have a different kind of buzz .
Compared to other Sativa ish types .
Where as most Haze hybrids hit me in certain spots on my cheeks or forehead even back of the head . Widow is more an all over feeling for me . Gives me a looking over my own shoulder kind of perspective .

They also have a different type of trichome much shorter stalk on the trich .

It will be intersting to see how they come together with the Thai .

Have you smoked Widow before ?
I find Black Widow , Mango Widow and La Nina have a different kind of buzz .
Compared to other Sativa ish types .
Where as most Haze hybrids hit me in certain spots on my cheeks or forehead even back of the head . Widow is more an all over feeling for me . Gives me a looking over my own shoulder kind of perspective .

They also have a different type of trichome much shorter stalk on the trich .

It will be intersting to see how they come together with the Thai .

No I've never smoked Widow before but heaps recently... I had about five Widow females.... two distinct phenotypes. One went purple and one went yellow. It ended up the male by attrition. Nothing else took except the Widow pollen and I hit the Thai with everything I had.

I might F2 it next year to try and get my Thai back. I just hate sorting through F2s because they'll be all over the place. I think that's what I'll do though to make sure I have as much of that Mango Thai back as possible.

So far... I've found The Doors and Nev Haze (plus Nev Hz crosses) to be similar in effect. The Doors is pretty good really.

Black widow is average with the purple Skunk I ran. Very similar taste and effect but the skunk has triple the bud weight and bag appeal. Early days yet though and a good cure could change that.

Mango Haze Inbred is sort of in between the two and probably has the best smell and taste by miles if you get one of those Mango Hazes where the buds go yellow and stink of sweet mango. I had two out of four do that.

Haven't found anything trippy, mindblowing, spiritual, scary... super potent.. even racy... yet. Been pretty blah to be honest. I don't think anything hit full potential due to the bad weather.

Yep I don`t think you got enough photons in the latter stages to allow them to express .
The calyx to leaf ratio was not like when in good sun .

Widow can also surprise after a cure .
I grew some . Good big hardy plants . Sampled it after harvest and thought what`s the hype about ? Put it away and forgot about it for a cpl of months . Rediscovered it and thought hmmm looks real nice . Better try some more .
Well it wasn`t even like the same smoke anymore . People still ask me a cpl of seasons later when are you getting some more Widow in ?

After trying La Nina , Black Widow and Mango Widow . I prefer the Mango Widow . Lots more pheno spread than Widow or Mango Hz . NL throw backs and Tall long noded Haze at the extremes .

I`m finding Golden Tiger has better mold resistance than my Hz crosses containing Skunk or Afghani . Which has surprised me . Maybe the Hmong Thai helping ?

Back