Haze outdoors 2013-2014

Widow is more an all over feeling for me . Gives me a looking over my own shoulder kind of perspective .

Hey, the last couple of nights I've had some Golden Tiger oil and after about an hour or so started to see these weird shapes and movements out of the corner of my eyes, and colours kinda got all weird and flexible. Freaked me out a little at the start but once I found my groove all was fun. Me thinks you're in for some good times when your Tigers come in. The day after can be a little discombobulating but I like that.

GT x O Haze / SK

Golden Tiger Oil !??
Now thats taking it to extremes eh ? he he .

My friend who gifted me the Golden Tiger seeds has just finished his . He said the early sample had him giggling . Now this fella has a killer stable of genes and knows whats what. So it ups the anticipation for me sampling some .

I made f2s and hit a cpl of OHaze Skunks with the pollen also .
My buddy also grew some straight Malawi . Heavy yieder for a Sativa type . No smoke reports on that one yet .

Thai, Mullumbimby Madness, Widow

Hi scrub, I don't mind the Widow as far as crossing to a Thai goes. Kangativa crossed his old Mullum to a Widow and a good pheno from that line is very hard to beat in terms of a powerful, soaring high, and exceptional massive plants..
IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6220.JPG

I think there is also a synergy that occurs when a giant bamboo Thai and Widow are crossed, which cleans up the Thai structure and makes it more symmetrical, and strong limbed, while of course bulking up the colas. Here's my Thai x Nevil's Madness that will go into July...with a couple of buds closer to picking...
IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_51081.jpg

This is my second MM x Thai'78 that I planted at xmas, smell is sweet musk and citrus, the other one I have is pineapples and pepper and it tastes fantastic - overripe fruit and citrus. Last year I grew this line and the taste was earthy, assumedly from the Thai78, but this year I'm really getting some tropical notes, which is normal for Thais I reckon....
IMG_51501.jpg

Anyway mate. I'm looking forward to seeing a garden of Mango Thai Widows next season.

@Mary Mary - thanks for sharing ;)

Last edited:
Hi scrub, I don't mind the Widow as far as crossing to a Thai goes.

I'm glad you said that because that Thai has a lovely structure to it. I went to extreme lengths to try and keep those genetics. Dunno why but there's just something about it.

This is my second MM x Thai'78 that I planted at xmas, smell is sweet musk and citrus, the other one I have is pineapples and pepper and it tastes fantastic - overripe fruit and citrus. Last year I grew this line and the taste was earthy, assumedly from the Thai78, but this year I'm really getting some tropical notes, which is normal for Thais I reckon....
IMG_51501.jpg

I had Indonesians that looked just like that. That photo was like a trip down memory lane... so of course I really like that plant now.

I like sativas like that which have long internodes and distinct buds. So much easier to harvest and manicure and really good air circulation to help fight mould. It's a shame some of the nice Thais are so leafy and you have to wade through all the grass to get to the bud.

I'd be pleased with a plant like that. Do they all grow like that from that cross?

scrubdog

Last edited:
Yep I don`t think you got enough photons in the latter stages to allow them to express .
The calyx to leaf ratio was not like when in good sun .

I don't think any of them finished properly. Anything that got really ripe got mould. The resin hairs seem to trap water when they get really sticky. Pretty frustrating because I've had buds from other strains double in strength if they're ripened properly. Same with the Doors... I had to pick early or lose the lot. I tried to ripen one Doors plant and lost every single bud.

Black Widow has excellent mould resistance comparatively speaking.

Widow can also surprise after a cure .
I grew some . Good big hardy plants . Sampled it after harvest and thought what`s the hype about ? Put it away and forgot about it for a cpl of months . Rediscovered it and thought hmmm looks real nice . Better try some more .
Well it wasn`t even like the same smoke anymore . People still ask me a cpl of seasons later when are you getting some more Widow in ?

The dried buds look scary. They're pretty frosty. My only complaint about the Widow would be the leafiness... so much hay to manicure... but possibly my own fault because I harvested early. The Purple widows are leafy but the leaves die off on the yellow ones and they're much easier to manicure. I got about 3:2 ratio of purple to yellow phenotypes.

I'm finding Golden Tiger has better mold resistance than my Hz crosses containing Skunk or Afghani . Which has surprised me . Maybe the Hmong Thai helping ?

My original plan was to just get Golden Tiger. I had two solid Thai strains of my own though so I thought I'll just get the Malawi off Dubi and make my own GT. I went through 30 Malawi plants and never managed to seed any. I fully flowered either one or two small females. I lost the rest to stem rot before I realised what was going on. They were also more prone to root rot in cold soil than anything else I had. Not to blame the plant... I stuffed up growing them. Planted too early.

Wish I had got GT now. Heard nothing but good about it.

Dubi reckons his Zamal is even better but he used to refuse to sell it because it was hermie. I hear he sells it now and some say it is exceptional. Probably takes forever to finish though.

Thanx for showing an interest.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Old Heads

Haven't found anything trippy, mindblowing, spiritual, scary... super potent.. even racy... yet. Been pretty blah to be honest. I don't think anything hit full potential due to the bad weather.

I sampled several of Nevil`s original old cuts from his original selections .Over in the EU .
Tried NL5Hz C , G13 Hz A , and Nevil`s Nevils Hz .
The only one I found super potent was the Nevil`s Haze . Half a 1 one paper joint and you started having scary thoughts . The others were strong and pleasant highs but not the wet your pants BS I`ve heard retold over the years .

Maybe if you didn`t smoke for a month or two and then knocked down a couple of quick bongs .Or if you were out drinkin hadn`t smoked all week and some one handed you a joint things could spiral . Then yes it could get scary . But for an every day smoker they were just a long pleasant ride .

I sampled several of Nevil`s original old cuts from his original selections .Over in the EU .
Tried NL5Hz C , G13 Hz A , and Nevil`s Nevils Hz .
The only one I found super potent was the Nevil`s Haze . Half a 1 one paper joint and you started having scary thoughts . The others were strong and pleasant highs but not the wet your pants BS I`ve heard retold over the years .

Maybe if you didn`t smoke for a month or two and then knocked down a couple of quick bongs .Or if you were out drinkin hadn`t smoked all week and some one handed you a joint things could spiral . Then yes it could get scary . But for an every day smoker they were just a long pleasant ride .

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Doors (Dalek) is the strongest weed I have at the moment (lots untested curing though) and it is pleasant at best but not exceptional. The rest of it (including Nev Hz) I could chain smoke all day long and probably just get bored.

Please note this is not a complaint about the genetics. I have a very high tolerance and smoke a lot so it is what it is. Plus it tends to get better after a cure and something usually pops up and takes me by suprise. I'm very happy with the results so don't think I'm complaining because I'm not.

scrubdog

Mullumbimby Madness x Thai'78

Hi guys, yeah scrub, those MMxthai78 all look like that - wide spacing between the internodes and solid, distinct colas. I know what you mean about the leafiness of a lot of Thais, I guess that isn't how they grow in the tropics. Now I can't figure out if this one can or can't be bought (last I heard Nevil didn't want to sell it because he didn't want the Gypsy Nirvanas of the world copying it wholesale)

IMG_5327.jpg

IMG_5322.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

picture.php

Last edited:
I was also surprised at just how average the plants were when I came onto the seed buying seen. I found it completely bizarre, and to this day I haven't found one standout plant in the potency dept. that matches what I was used to. I've encountered one example each of a reasonably strong Nevil's Hz and Mango Hz, but man you have to search through a lot of seeds to find them. What was that spin I read? The strongest plant on, or off the market??

These strains do offer something in the crossing dept. though, decreased flowering times, interesting terpenes, high yielding structures, and they don't always dilute the stronger plant they're being crossed to. what else can you say?

You always say what I'm thinking but you put it better than I can... because yeah I've had identical experience except I have found killer landrace genetics but you still have to wade through hundreds of plants. Plus you have to really hunt around to get the good landraces.

There used to be a guy who lived in Colombia and had mountain colombian landrace varieties that he could just drive down the road and get seeds off villagers. He had a website but then the nutter crossed everything with Dutch indoor hybrids because that's where the market is and then distributed hybrid seed to the villagers to cross with the landraces. He used to have genuine Santa Marta but now he just has rubbish mixed up crossbreeds. That's the sort of thing going on all over the world at the moment.

I also haven't found a "named" hybrid that I would call potent or trippy. Nothing. Zilch.

The strongest weed I've had in the last fifteen years was bagweed a guy gave to me because he'd accidentally seeded it and couldn't sell it. Little tiny white buds and miniature sativa leaves. Buds were tiny but tight... not wispy. Looked like real ditchweed and I nearly turned it down when I was offered it because I couldn't think why I'd want the seed of rubbish like that.

Might as well have dropped a tab of acid. That was some serious weed... and I already had a real high tolerance. Never had paranoia that bad in my life before even after dropping a cap of cannabis oil. Racy. I was like Taz the Tasmanian Devil charging around like a cat with it's tail on fire. Lost a whole day and still can't remember what I did. I was scared to smoke that stuff. That was twelve years ago and the next year I was busted and the cops got all the seed.

So there is stuff out there still.... Sure is a marathon effort wading through all the dross to find it though.

I still think the best stuff out there is stuff that is being grown by people who have gone overseas and brought local seed back with them from places like Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, PNG....

India has some real extreme weed but all you ever hear about is Kerala. India is a gigantic country with localised farmed strains that have been around for generations. Once upon a time drug cannabis was known as "Indian Hemp" all over the world. I've always thought something impressive will come out of India eventually.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Tolerance ?

The last time you scored the trippy weed , what was your supply / intake like ?

I`ve had some very trippy experiences when I stopped smoking for say a month . And then got together with my friends who smoke everyday .
Not being able to feel comfortable in my own house . Laying n the floor wishing it would stop NOW !

Discussing the Nevils Hz cut with my Haze buddies . They both said it has a dark side .I understood what they meant . Let your mind wander over to negative thoughts and its starts a spiral . Stay relaxed and positive its a good ride .
Let your mind ramble and things get prickly .

I went to Amsterdam for a week last year. Sampled lots of different buds and hashes . The outstanding smoke for me was some Thai Brick Weed . 3 grams for 10 Euro . Few seeds and some stalk . Got me higher than any of the Coffee Shop buds .The biggest difference in the effect was my vision . Dutch Weed shut down my peripheral vision . I really noticed it riding a bike [ as you do in Amsterdam ] . The Thai did the opposite opened up my peripheral vision and turned my ears on . I talked about it with a German guy I met . Shared a joint with him and he reported similar effects .
I gave the seeds to Romanian truck driver in Belgium I shared a road side meal with . I did tell him they probably won`t flower in Romania . He was undeterred . he he .
The Coffee shop weed is strong . But its a roller coaster ride . Boom stoned for half an hour - then it wears off - and off to the next coffee shop .
I found some of the Coffee shops by following the trail of Amnesia/SSH smoke . Its every where in Amsterdam the town smells of it .

Last edited:
Anyway mate. I'm looking forward to seeing a garden of Mango Thai Widows next season.

I ended up with TEN ripe seeds. Sigh. Six Thai clones the size of a Volkswagen each... two seasons... vegging all winter... seven different males at five different sites....

.... all that for TEN seeds!!

I'll plant all ten next year and some Mango Haze X Widow I made this season. Compare them next to each other. Not sure what else yet.

I'm not happy with my hazes. The Nev Haze and Nev Hz X Mango Thai just don't have any zing to them at all. Maybe they just need a cure. One of them looks and smells awesome as a dried bud. It's gone all yellow and smells fruity.

I don't get this purple and green thing with Shanti's strains. I've got two Doors phenotypes... one goes purple and red and the other stays green and the trichomes go black. I had about three of each sort this season. Same with the Widow. Mango Haze Inbred I have a yellow mango and a green something or other that I seeded.... several of each type. All sorts of breeding possibilities there.

My Thai82 was like that. It had two distinct phenotypes... a purple and a green. I still get purple Thais about one in ten from the Thai82 X Laos that I made.

Do you think the Widow will bring the flowering time forward and shorten it much in the cross with the Mango Thai? I'm thinking it may still not be enough to finish the plants and I might have to hit them with something else yet. Guess the only way to find out is to run them next season and see what happens.

scrubdog

Last edited:
congrats on the hard fought for seeds ,little acorns and all that ,at least you got some and with a lil luck you ll get something to go on with from it

congrats on the hard fought for seeds ,little acorns and all that ,at least you got some and with a lil luck you ll get something to go on with from it

I'm pretty pleased to be honest. I had Nev Hz with three males flowering right next to it all season and not a single seed. Same with a Nev Hz X Mango thai.

I haven't found a single seed yet from my open pollination of the Purple Kush.

Only plant with lots of seed is Mango Hz Inbred. Two hazes next to it had zero seed!! Same males next to all of them in a little group.

So I consider myself very lucky and I'm happy with ten Mango Thai X Black widow seeds. I bought a clearance pack of BW on purpose because it was my fallback male if I found nothing I liked amongst the hazes.

It wasn't that I found nothing I liked either. I had a Malawi male growing up through a Mango Thai female all season and not one single seed on the Thai. Only the BW pollen took. I had a BW male next to a Mango Thai and when the male was almost done I pulled it out by the roots and shook the whole plant over one corner of the most mature Mango Thai (they were all clones but the ones in the most sun matured much faster) on a real sunny day. That is the only place I found seed when I harvested all the immature Thai buds on all six clones.

I'll probably use those ten seeds as the backbone of most of my breeding now. Very tempted to hit some with The Doors Dalek pollen or vice versa next year. That Dalek is pretty strong and I didn't really grow it very well. I'm finding a few seeds on it but I don't know who the father is. I dusted it with four different sorts of male pollen at various times.

scrubdog

Oh man I think you just have to be philosophical as a grower knowing most plants won't give you what you want, but there'll be one or two that are bound to make you smile.

My Thai82 was like that. It had two distinct phenotypes... a purple and a green. I still get purple Thais about one in ten from the Thai82 X Laos that I made.

Do you think the Widow will bring the flowering time forward and shorten it much in the cross with the Mango Thai? I'm thinking it may still not be enough to finish the plants and I might have to hit them with something else yet. Guess the only way to find out is to run them next season and see what happens.

You could always follow Shanti's advice and plant the seed, let it sex, then take clones and finish the job off as clones. This should knock some time off the flowering and make your ten seeds go further.

The Thai82 is interesting, I know you had a lot to do with sharing your Thai82 work around. I've recently been given some original Thai82 Green Hornet packs that came from the breeder. I don't know what the germination possibilities are since they're ten years old, but there are two packs and one is from an unreleased female that was significantly longer flowering than the released Thai82. I have some quotes here that came from the breeder.

The Thai, Vietnamese, and Cambodian seeds all came from the same source. I met a guy who had travelled extensively in Asia and India in the late 70's and early 80's. during this time he collected many seeds and he gave me his collection. The seeds were very old and despite this some of the Thai Vietnamese and Cambodian grew, from these plants I made these seeds.

All of the Asian Sativas are prone to hermaphrodite. I used only the stable males and females to produce seed. Despite this there are still some Hemaphrodites present.
Thai 1: these are long and fine with typical sativa leaves, very thin and narrow with light green color. The flowers grow like cotton candy and have a sour taste similar to a Haze flavor. These were very difficult to get to finish indoors. They kind of flower forever. I had a reasonable result in about 4 months.
Thai 2: similar to Thai 1 but the flowers were more compact and they had red stripes on the stalk.
Both Thai strains seeds were made from the same male as there was only 1 good male there wasn't much of a choice. The male had red stripes corresponding to Thai 2.

I believe it was the Thai82s with the red stripes on the stalks that were released.

Nevil has also got a hold of some Thai82 that Reeferman was calling Lemon Thai. Another MNS member smoked some of this Thai82 and said it produced the buddha sick aromas and high that were common in Oz up until the 80s. Hopefully he will release them without too much adulteration at some point.
I notice also that Breeder's Choice has two Thais - Highland Thai and Hmong Hilltribe that are said to come from the same source as RSC's Thais. There still out there. There must be dozens of old Thais kept around Australia, I know that because I've just been sent a couple!

Thai x Nevil's Hz x Mullumbimby Madness
IMG_5136a.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man I think you just have to be philosophical as a grower knowing most plants won't give you what you want, but there'll be one or two that are bound to make you smile.

You could always follow Shanti's advice and plant the seed, let it sex, then take clones and finish the job off as clones. This should knock some time off the flowering and make your ten seeds go further.

The Thai82 is interesting, I know you had a lot to do with sharing your Thai82 work around. I've recently been given some original Thai82 Green Hornet packs that came from the breeder. I don't know what the germination possibilities are since they're ten years old, but there are two packs and one is from an unreleased female that was significantly longer flowering than the released Thai82. I have some quotes here that came from the breeder.

I believe it was the Thai82s with the red stripes on the stalks that were released.

Nevil has also got a hold of some Thai82 that Reeferman was calling Lemon Thai. Another MNS member smoked some of this Thai82 and said it produced the buddha sick aromas and high that were common in Oz up until the 80s. Hopefully he will release them without too much adulteration at some point.
I notice also that Breeder's Choice has two Thais - Highland Thai and Hmong Hilltribe that are said to come from the same source as RSC's Thais. There still out there. There must be dozens of old Thais kept around Australia, I know that because I've just been sent a couple!

I had ten breeder packs of unreleased Thai82 stamped with Green Hornet. I still know the guy actually. Well what you're saying explains a lot. I had both phenotypes and I was really into working that line. I had thousands of seeds at one point and several crosses with the Thai82 as well as IBL I made.

It was a nasty bust though that left a bad taste in my mouth. Real bent red neck cop. Was almost like an Easy Rider movie. Kill the dirty hippie.

I lost a lot of very rare seed in that bust that can't be replaced and some of it cost me an arm and a leg. That's why I rarely mention Thai82 anymore. It brings up memories I'm trying to forget. I hate dirty cops!!

I only have it as a cross with a Laos now so rather than sulk I've moved on. I have another huge sativa line that is WOS Wild Thai X ? (probably Mexican). My mate bought ten WOS Wild Thai seeds and nine were hybrids and one was a twenty foot Thai (genuine 20 ft... I have photos of it somewhere) that was very feral looking. I have a line of seed from that plant.

I still think there is an absolute killer Thai line out there somewhere. Its been around for a long time and I think the genotypes probably date back to Thai Stick seeds and show up in Aussie and NZ sometimes where hippies have kept a favourite strain going in the hills. All I know is that over the years every now and then I've run into crappy looking weed that looks like some sort of Thai and it's been like smoking a mixture of coke and mushrooms.

scrubdog

Golden Tiger Oil !??
Now thats taking it to extremes eh ? he he .

My friend who gifted me the Golden Tiger seeds has just finished his . He said the early sample had him giggling . Now this fella has a killer stable of genes and knows whats what. So it ups the anticipation for me sampling some .

I made f2s and hit a cpl of OHaze Skunks with the pollen also .
My buddy also grew some straight Malawi . Heavy yieder for a Sativa type . No smoke reports on that one yet .

Nothing exceeds like excess hey.
I spent last night laying in bed off my face on Golden Tiger with a Laser Stars Projector filling my room with thousands of green stars, each on their very own trajectory, with a kinda shifting galaxy of blue light. Think Northern Lights but better :D
Good luck with the seeds.

Had to get the stash out and air it, check for mould etc... and I put some of the better dried buds aside to photograph later.

So that'll be coming up next. I'll photograph some of these MNS buds for comparison purposes. Think sugar coated candy. The trichomes don't really show up heavy until the buds have a couple weeks cure.

scrubdog

The Doors

The Doors

This is the strongest stuff I've got unless I find something I've missed later on. It tastes nice and smells nice. Both the Dalek and the Beast have very similar buds (both are pictured below) but the Dalek is stronger with skimpier buds.

I got about 10 seeds from it. Not sure of the male but I'll run them next year to cross with my Mango Thai X Black Widow.

When I reach for some weed The Doors is always my first choice so I've just about smoked the lot already. I still have original MNS Doors seeds left as well that I'll probably work with. I prefer The Doors to Mango Haze Inbred or any of the other MNS strains I've tried... so far anyway. I reserve the right to change my mind.

scrubdog

Kush

Some random Kush buds.

I open pollinated all my Kush with four Purple Kush males and to date haven't found a single seed. Doesn't really worry me too much. My interest is in other areas.

scrubdog

Mango Haze Inbred

Mango Haze Inbred

Not sure how to rate this strain because I had phenotypes all over the place. One finished very early and had a strong smell of ripe mango. Had tight dense indica buds that turned yellow. I have no photos of the buds. Two never finished at all and didn't look close but had running wispy sativa buds. Another one in between that got destroyed by mould. The indica phenotypes were very prone to mould and only average potency. The wispy buds are much more potent and I think they have real potential if I could get them to finish at my latitude. I'll work with this strain some more.

None of these photos do the strain justice. I smoked all the early buds and the later ones were either seeded or never finished so I didn't have a decent bud to photograph. I really like the extreme sativa phenotypes and made some seed with a Black Widow male and two sativa phenotypes.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Back