questions for Nevil

Skunkha

In keeping with Shanti's request of not overloading Nevil with the controversial historical questions, maybe we can submit friendly inquiries to Nevil's vast experience help the community.

my inquiry concerns a strain I have not seen in 20 years:

the best batches of buds were golfball sized and airy yet they were brittle (obviously crystallized, but back then I did not know to examine the trichombs). The bud color was blue-green with banana colored pistils. this is the only bud I have ever seen with yellow pistils. Some batches the pistils were more ripe banana colored and these were not as good as the yellow pistilled (sp?) ones. The smoke was soft yet expansive and very potent.

Also, have you ever seen the "Silver Blue" Haze ... I'm thinking: 'was this blue-green, yellow pistil a version?'

peace, my friend

Also, have you ever seen the "Silver Blue" Haze ... I'm thinking: 'was this blue-green, yellow pistil a version?

im quite curious myself which haze your referring to ,is this a hybrid ?

because i can say there were four phenos of the original haze ,one being blue another being silver you might be referring too

i like the idea of this thread

my first question for neville

while none are noted in the catalouges ,im very curious as too what haze hybrids have you created using the haze female B?

their is only one possiblity that comes to mind

1luvbigherb

im quite curious myself which haze your referring to ,is this a hybrid ?

because i can say there were four phenos of the original haze ,one being blue another being silver you might be referring too

i like the idea of this thread

while none are noted in the catalouges ,im very curious as too what haze hybrids have you created using the haze female B?

their is only one possiblity that comes to mind

1luvbigherb

Howdy bigherb,

"silver blue" is what I read as a possible pheno of O. Haze. I don't know if the buds I had were a Haze or not ... these had no name that they came with, I was just happy to get them. the buds had a sort of silvery light blue appearance. there was still green on them since a green-less bud would have really stuck in my mind. As with any real potent bud, the smoke got me to a place other lesser smoke could not. I don't remember if the "high" was ceiling-less since I tried to conserve it the best I could with still getting a good "buzz".

Howdy bigherb,

"silver blue" is what I read as a possible pheno of O. Haze. I don't know if the buds I had were a Haze or not ... these had no name that they came with, I was just happy to get them. the buds had a sort of silvery light blue appearance. there was still green on them since a green-less bud would have really stuck in my mind. As with any real potent bud, the smoke got me to a place other lesser smoke could not. I don't remember if the "high" was ceiling-less since I tried to conserve it the best I could with still getting a good "buzz".

im sure the smoke is delightful,id lov too see pics and wish you could find more info on your stock

"
silver blue" is what I read as a possible pheno of O. Haze

i dont know where you are sourcing your info from or if you have misread somthing

but i can tell you for sure there are four phenos of the original haze magneta/gold/silver/blue

1luvbigherb

"

i dont know where you are sourcing your info from or if you have misread somthing

Hi bigherb,
Skunk is likely sourcing his information from Sam Skunkman. He did not misread anything.

What a crock, Positronics did not even have any Haze until I gave it
to them after the mid 1980's. They crossed Haze with a local Pars
Purple outdoor variety that was weak shit pot that had a nice color.
FYI, Purple Haze was sold in the early 1970's by the Haze Brothers
in Santa Cruz, I should know I smoked it back then every day for
years....
BTW, some of the Purple Haze needed cold to turn purple, others did
not need cold and were purple even if never cold. Purple Haze was
pure Original Haze, and the purple color was not dominate, so easy to
lose.
I also like the Silver Blue, and Lime Green Haze better then the
Purple Haze, because they were more up, clear, and energetic in the
high. But the Purple may have been the strongest Haze and got the top
prices. It also looked great.
Did eneyone ever hear the band the Original Haze? Jerry Miller from
the Moby Grape started the group in the 70's after smoking the
Original Haze in Santa Cruz. He loved the Haze and bought a lot!!!

SamS

Hi bigherb,
Skunk is likely sourcing his information from Sam Skunkman. He did not misread anything.

The subject of Haze keeps coming up.
I got mine from Sam the Skunkman in the 80's. I bought a couple of thousand of old stock late 60s/ 70. The first batch that I planted produced one plant, a female. It was the slowest to flower I'd ever come across and flowered for longer. I got 3 different crops of seed of it and it had still not finished. It was huge and filled a quarter of the room, it had wispy buds and when you smoked it, other people complained about the smell. It didn't have much resin and after 9 months flowering, with no end in sight, I chopped it. It seem the most impractical plant I'd ever grown. I didn't keep a cutting.

One of the males I crossed it with was Ruderalis x NL1 X NL1. I was testing a 25% Ruderalis male on the most difficult plant I'd come across to see what it would do. I used all the seed I had to find the earliest male for the next generation. I grew the females out and because it was so resinous, I made hash out of it. To this day it was the best hash I've ever smoked, and I've been privileged to have smoked the best.
I truly regret not having made a cutting of that plant. I didn't make that mistake with the 6 that followed.
I'm feeling a bit sad now, I think that I'll go and have a smoke.
I'll tell you the rest later.
N.

Hi Nev

Nice to hear some haze history from you , its great to hear the stories straight from the 'hourse's mouth' as there are a lot of controversial posts on Haze and MNS haze. So thanks for taking the time to fill some gaps and for posting some interesting info from the past.

Can you tell us a bit more on your initial haze selections and the haze selections the pure HazeC and HazeA males came from , also any info on the female pure Haze Shanti uses in LaNina would be appreciated.

Btw Sam posted that he also gave you a pure Haze clone back in the 80s (he is not sure if male or female anymore) did you use that one for any of your hybrids?
Since you ve worked with landraces over the years and are probably familiar with different strains from around the globe I was wondering do you actually 'see' the Mexican , Colombian , Thai , Indian expressions of the Haze in the Haze seeds you got from Sam?
According to Sam Haze is Mexican combined to Colombian and the Thai and Indian were added later (next/later years) during the strains development. I ask cause according to Sam during the early years of the Haze development ('69-70) Haze didn't have Thai or Indian 'blood' yet.

last but not least I d like to say thanks for breeding NH , its one of my all time favorite sativa smokes and some of the best around , she will definitely stay in my garden for a long time..Any info on NH keepers selection will be interesting to hear.

thank you for your time
have fun
l33t

Last edited:
Hi nevil, I wonder if you have any pics of your vortex design, I dont have good enough internet at the minute to watch the videos that you posted.
I'll be starting a new grow in my hydro system within weeks and would be very interested in incorporating this into my reservoir if its cheap and easy enough to build..
Anyway hope the smoke cheers you up a little, and like others look forward to all you have to share on the haze story and everything else...:)
peace
BL

Hi nevil , ive always wondered about growing sativas out of there natural environments ,, mostly the far northern reachs and indoor...

Do you think the haze you grew that never reached fruition out of its natural environment would have proven to be a good plant in that environment???

Which to me brings up a question of how to select from such genetics out of their environment , given they may not be truely representing the strain ..??

Its something i wonder a lot about given we see more and more sativa offerings that have been grown/bred and selected out of their natural environment ,, how did they select the best ones ,, or did the best ones go unnoticed ???

hi nevil i have a question for you. what interesting plant have you got growing in your garden now anything special?

Hiya Nev i think there are a lot of question people would love to ask you me also but i think a good one would be what are your thorts on the direction the cannabis community has taken in regards to the lack of real work by many in the seed world that seam to just re combine things you did years ago and just re name things.

what are your thorts on the fem seed trade.

I found from running a search on hawiian lines you had won the cup with a hawiian haze entry think that line would of been something very special.

Hi nevil, I wonder if you have any pics of your vortex design, I dont have good enough internet at the minute to watch the videos that you posted.
I'll be starting a new grow in my hydro system within weeks and would be very interested in incorporating this into my reservoir if its cheap and easy enough to build..
Anyway hope the smoke cheers you up a little, and like others look forward to all you have to share on the haze story and everything else...:)
peace
BL

A little google goes a long way hehehe...

nozzlnu32.jpg

So a little more info on the magnets would be helpful.. Where would the average joe be able to pick up the six magnets and is the alignment easy??
In my trade we use electrolyitc water descalers are these the same kind of thing??
Also any info on pump size/flow rate required, and pond/reservoir size that this would treat??
would love to see some pics of this in action would give a good idea of how this can be implemented into a hydroponic system..
thanks in advance
peace
BL

I'd like to answer all of your questions, but I am a reluctant one finger typist. If we were sitting around having a smoke you could ask me anything you want. I will limit myself to what I think is important. I'll finish the haze story yet because I can imagine that You think it's important. I would if I were you too.

What I think is important, is that we have some very old seeds, with some rather exclusive genetics and we have to save what we can. The most promising lead that I could come up with is this:- http://blip.tv/file/3881270/
I'd like you to look at this and tell me what you think. If you have other idea's how to pump some life into old seeds, I'm willing to entertain them. Maybe we need to sacrifice some virgins or something. (just joking)
N.

Meeting?

I'd like to answer all of your questions, but I am a reluctant one finger typist. If we were sitting around having a smoke you could ask me anything you want.
N.

Let's have a meeting soon then :D Let's say somewhere in the midlle of Europe, say Brussels for a change,... it's something else then A'dam hey... Antwerp or Tilburg is also great!
But first things first.... it's surely worth more then a try germinating those old seeds you have!
Even if it means sacrificing a virgin or 2,... then make it so... (Insane laugh).
Grtz,
Y. Sam

Last edited:
hiya neville i have managed to germ a few old seeds but it was hit and miss i came up with it out of desperation in short i relised that why older seeds would not germ was because the seed embryo case would stick to the seed embryo and in short suffocate the seed embryo if that makes seance.

I would see after some time say a week a tap root just brake out of the seed shell then the next day as i expected it to be showing a longer tap root i would see no tap root it had gone back into the seed case.

So i would leave it and the seed would die i started to think why so then as the tap root would show its self i would carefully open the seed case removing the seedling to find the seed embryo looking healthy but the seed embryo case stuck to it and unless i removed it from the seed embryo it to would die so then i tried a few ways to keep the seed embryo alive first using rock wool and coco starters both with some sucses but found the best way to place the seed embryo into a good quality soil with no ferts and only feeding it or them with water keeping the soil moist but letting it drain well to only watering it to not let the soil dry.

They take some time to fire up you will see colour starting at the base of the seedling then running up the seeding finally going green at the leaf.

So basically the liquid that's in the seed embryo between the embryo case and seed embryo drys up in old seeds and the only chance i think to germ them is to germ the seeds for a week in the first week if you see a tap root show open it up remove case and plant the tap root exposing the top of the top of the seed embryo or if the seeds don't germ or even open up after a week to open them up your self remove the seed embryo do the same and place into soil and i put them under fluros grow lux.

Hope that makes seance.

Good post Hempy

As Louis Pasteur said, "In the field of observation, chance favours the mind that is prepared".
N.

hiya neville i have managed to germ a few old seeds but it was hit and miss i came up with it out of desperation in short i relised that why older seeds would not germ was because the seed embryo case would stick to the seed embryo and in short suffocate the seed embryo if that makes seance.

I would see after some time say a week a tap root just brake out of the seed shell then the next day as i expected it to be showing a longer tap root i would see no tap root it had gone back into the seed case.

So i would leave it and the seed would die i started to think why so then as the tap root would show its self i would carefully open the seed case removing the seedling to find the seed embryo looking healthy but the seed embryo case stuck to it and unless i removed it from the seed embryo it to would die so then i tried a few ways to keep the seed embryo alive first using rock wool and coco starters both with some sucses but found the best way to place the seed embryo into a good quality soil with no ferts and only feeding it or them with water keeping the soil moist but letting it drain well to only watering it to not let the soil dry.

They take some time to fire up you will see colour starting at the base of the seedling then running up the seeding finally going green at the leaf.

So basically the liquid that's in the seed embryo between the embryo case and seed embryo drys up in old seeds and the only chance i think to germ them is to germ the seeds for a week in the first week if you see a tap root show open it up remove case and plant the tap root exposing the top of the top of the seed embryo or if the seeds don't germ or even open up after a week to open them up your self remove the seed embryo do the same and place into soil and i put them under fluros grow lux.

Hope that makes seance.

Good job Billy Liar. I've got material, I'm just not good with computers. There's a photo of the Water Vortex Magnetizer at
http://www.quantumbalancing.com/vortex_magnetizer.htm
Now I'm not endorsing this product, but I can tell you that I have 2 1L plastic bottles connected with a hose to create vortexes. The first bottle has a clockwise vortex and the water from this bottle drains into the 2nd bottle to create an anti clockwise vortex. The W.V.M. is screwed onto the bottom bottle.
Water is constantly recirculated. If I was growing hydro I'd connect this up to the reservoir. If I disconnect this the water seems to loose charge.
It doesn't cost much to try.

Hempy I have noticed that on some of dj's gear. I recently termed some gk and had that same problem. I was elsewhere and read something very similiar to your post. All but one of my seeds showed a taproot and the disappeared 12-24 hrs later. I Pryed open three of them in the manner you described removing the entire shell. All three that I did that to survived and the others did not. I'm not sure on the age of the seeds as I only had them for a month it two at most.

Hope that makes seance.

i use pretty much the same technique on old seed. if i have a batch off seeds i know will have a problem i just remove half the seed husk and tear the embryo a little. this seems to help the embryo rehydrate fast and most seed germinate just as fast as normal fresh seeds in tissue paper. i dont germinate seeds in soil but in theory they should germinate just as good. seeds that have been force dried in the bud sometimes have the same problem as old seeds as well and sometimes the embryo sticks to the tip of the seed leaf. this sometimes need splitting so the seed leafs can open before the seed uses all its energy and dies.

The subject of Haze keeps coming up.
I got mine from Sam the Skunkman in the 80's. I bought a couple of thousand of old stock late 60s/ 70. The first batch that I planted produced one plant, a female. It was the slowest to flower I'd ever come across and flowered for longer. I got 3 different crops of seed of it and it had still not finished. It was huge and filled a quarter of the room, it had wispy buds and when you smoked it, other people complained about the smell. It didn't have much resin and after 9 months flowering, with no end in sight, I chopped it. It seem the most impractical plant I'd ever grown. I didn't keep a cutting.

One of the males I crossed it with was Ruderalis x NL1 X NL1. I was testing a 25% Ruderalis male on the most difficult plant I'd come across to see what it would do. I used all the seed I had to find the earliest male for the next generation. I grew the females out and because it was so resinous, I made hash out of it. To this day it was the best hash I've ever smoked, and I've been privileged to have smoked the best.
I truly regret not having made a cutting of that plant. I didn't make that mistake with the 6 that followed.
I'm feeling a bit sad now, I think that I'll go and have a smoke.
I'll tell you the rest later.
N.

wow my first response from the king of cannabis

i love your writing style ,i for one appreciate indepth reports and details ,ialso feel the same as you on many occasions i have said i wish we could sit and chat it makes for a more thorough convo

i wish to hear everything and anything you can share about the history of your haze ,id like to state i for one have not believe SAMS for somtime wit many contradicting post

I got mine from Sam the Skunkman in the 80's. I bought a couple of thousand of old stock late 60s/ 70
soo you are saying you had 2 different stock of haze to work with ?

quoted shanti
But the best thing to say to you all is that we at MNS worked on '69 seed that Nev received in the 70s.

id like to know exactly when you got the 60's/70's stock and exactly wat year the soucre said they came from?
because the given info is contradicting comparing the below quote from your seed bank catalouge
we managed to salvage a few viable seeds from the last crop growin in america,and we haveused them to to produce remarkable hybrids

the first original haze crop was from 69/70 and the last crop was 81

The first batch that I planted produced one plant, a female. It was the slowest to flower I'd ever come across and flowered for longer

i hope i understand correct,your sayin the special female was from the 60s/70 stock

soo now since you didnt save this female cutting id lov to kno exactly which stock the haze ABC com from was it the SAM or the other stock?

I got mine from Sam the Skunkman in the 80's

id also like to be very clear on this ,as SAMS has posted contradicting stories,we hav been told he gave you his worst female clone a male clone seeds etc

in what form did you recieve your haze stock from SAMS?

One of the males I crossed it with was Ruderalis x NL1 X NL1
soo does this mean the hazeXnl from the first offering in the seedbank catalouge was from this crossing ?

I truly regret not having made a cutting of that plant. I didn't make that mistake with the 6 that followed

wow great read and hard to hear ,experience is he best teacher

id love to know wat you refer too wen you say the 6 that followed

im most thankful your here taking your time to answer our questions ,i have soo many questions but im tryin to keep it in tune wit the current discussion.i have to tell you becaz you tested the oldest sources of haze in holland first hand and possibly some of the purest haze available after 81, becaz of L33t taste/aromas description i found a home at mns ,im a haze lover the frankincense/incense trait is dear to my heart and neville haze is the closest taste ive come across to the NYC HAZE ive grown up on ,soo much thanks and respect

1luvbigherb

Back