Living Soil

Even better
Edit: Got some nice pics i was trying to share but the 1MB setup...Isnogud...
aq1028_0.jpg

Last edited:
Is this really true? Do you have sources I could look into? I am an avid user of Michorrazae, and want to ensure my children can properly utilize the fungal colony I'm attempting to establish for them.

Thank you in advanced for any and all info.

Diesel840

I have used a mix, I haven't used this by itself so don't know. I gave up sometime ago adding packaged mycos. Now teas with humates, fulvates and kelp concoctions. I'm going by what the speaker Jeff Lowenfels said in the first vid. Here is a study and a statement.

Not sure of this source but quote from https://khalifagenetics.com/mycorrhizal-fungi-cannabis-symbiosis/

"Which one should you buy?

There is a multitude of different mycorrhizal fungi out there. However, only one variety is known to form symbiotic relationships with cannabis. No need to waste your money buying many types of mycorrhizal fungi. The one that works with marijuana plants has many names. It is called: Glomus Mosseae, Glomus Intraradices, Rhizophagus Intraradices and Rhizophagus Mosseae even though it is the same mycorrhizal fungus. It’s pretty hard to come by and a little expensive but fortunately you only need small amounts of mycorrhizal fungi for them to colonize the roots of your plants."

mu

I have used a mix, I haven't used this by itself so don't know. I gave up sometime ago adding packaged mycos. Now teas with humates, fulvates and kelp concoctions. I'm going by what the speaker Jeff Lowenfels said in the first vid. Here is a study and a statement.

Not sure of this source but quote from https://khalifagenetics.com/mycorrhizal-fungi-cannabis-symbiosis/

"Which one should you buy?

There is a multitude of different mycorrhizal fungi out there. However, only one variety is known to form symbiotic relationships with cannabis. No need to waste your money buying many types of mycorrhizal fungi. The one that works with marijuana plants has many names. It is called: Glomus Mosseae, Glomus Intraradices, Rhizophagus Intraradices and Rhizophagus Mosseae even though it is the same mycorrhizal fungus. It’s pretty hard to come by and a little expensive but fortunately you only need small amounts of mycorrhizal fungi for them to colonize the roots of your plants."

mu

Jeff Lowenfels is definitely well known in the circles as one of the better sources so i find it very interesting to hear it is actually known that a certain strain does indeed work speficially with Cannabis.
Thanks for the sauce.
I have watched many times how mycelium forms a relationship with roots and fuzz them up and i have used different mixes and sources over the years.
An Austrian brand beeing my favorite so far, a friend of mine always uses Great White a weed brand myco mix that also packs some variety.
Mycos are pretty much the shit. I love seeing them grow all over the woods

I try to keep living soil going. I use a compost bin for convenience when overrun by food scraps. I have a few worm bins to use for castings. I bake my eggshells and powder them in a food processor for grit in my worm containers so the worms can eat and digest my scraps and figure it likely adds value from the composition of the eggshells. I have an abundance of worms I simply add castings worms eggs and all to my containers. Sometimes I will dig in a little fruit or scraps that worms enjoy to encourage their sticking around in my containers. This works as I note many worms in my root balls when I dump and break them up (I know it disrupts fungal networks so I try to minimize this action).

I make my own bokashi innoculant and bran on occasion with the rice water method and a gallon of milk. I use shredded boxes/paper and alfalfa meal to make my bokashi bran. I like bokashi because, during the cold winters we get here, my materials are still composting quite effectively in my garage space. I disturb my topsoil down to the uppermost roots and mix these things in then top dress it all with this mix. I use a fire pit for wood ash and charcoal that I add, sparingly of course. I am also that grower that uses urine I dilute it and add it, I have a relatively healthy diet and don't eat a ton of processed high-sodium foods so that has not become an issue for me. Also, I pee on my charcoal. I know urine eww but waste not want not right? I do provide the disclaimer to people that I add pee to my plants out of consideration and no one has ever declined sampling my flowers :D.

I like fish emulsions as a little boost to my soil but the one I use has a little bit of an earthy stink to it. I am a fan of down-to-earth dry additives or similar but try to source as much from my own yard or waste products that result from my own diet and habits as possible. I also will get a wild hair and make some fermented plant juice or similar on occasion to try and introduce unique microbes from my environment into my growing medium. I look for healthy thriving stands of legumes, like the alfalfa I have cast all around my house, or whatever else I see that appears to be thriving. I need to get better at incorporating cover crops It is on my to-do list for sure great value in it. I use it in my vegetable gardens just need to incorporate it into my containers. Basically, I try to mimic as many natural processes as I can in the lowest effort highest yield ways I can make work. I am also on the cheap side so I spend as little money on additives as possible.

@ODZ thats a nice variety of work. I tried the rice bokashi diy once but failed, could you share your way of doing it a kittke more detailed?

New FSOTD episode out there with Dragonflyearthmedicine

A must watch imho

Maybe he did all three. Was a Frenchman if i remember correctly...
Iznogoud is a Franco-Belgian comic strip series, created by René Goscinny (screenplay) and Jean Tabary (drawing), and first published in 1962 in Record magazine under the title Les Aventures de calife Haroun El Poussah. The series depicts the adventures of the terrible vizier Iznogoud at the Caliph's court in Baghdad, seeking in each episode to oust the Caliph in order to gain supreme power. The name Iznogoud is the francization of the English expression "He's no good" (literally: "he is not good", but whose precise meaning is: "he is not worth anything").

@ODZ thats a nice variety of work. I tried the rice bokashi diy once but failed, could you share your way of doing it a kittke more detailed?

New FSOTD episode out there with Dragonflyearthmedicine

A must watch imho

Here is the link I originally used to get started:

I soaked the rice for a week the lid will get pretty tight on your jar because of the gas it will produce. I dumped it into my gallon of milk and set it in the dark corner of my pantry. I have also cheated when feeling lazy and added about a half cup of kefir to a gallon of milk and let it sit in a dark corner. The consistency of the separated whey was more creamy every time I used the kefir method and find it interesting because I believe it is related to the different strains of Lactobacillus present in this form of yogurt. You can also use some of the serum in another gallon of milk to ferment a new batch. I strain the whey out with cheesecloth and a strainer and I use the whey on bagels. You can make all kinds of cheese with it but cream cheese is simplest. You can also defer adding molasses to the serum and store the jug in the fridge to keep the microbes inactive for an extended time.

As far as getting the activated microbes to colonize the bran it is accomplished under anaerobic conditions. I placed my alfalfa meal and shredded paper in a 13-gallon trash bag then added some of my serum to the bag and de-chlorinated water and get all the material moist. I squeezed all the air out tied it bagged it again and did the same in the second bag. I then shoved it into a 5-gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid and let it sit for two weeks. It will have a sweet apple cider vinegar smell if the right microbes take hold. Then I dried the bran in a shady spot and finally once dried I stored it in buckets also with gamma lids. As for the bokashi compost container two five-gallon buckets one drilled with a 1/4 inch drill on the bottom and around the sides up maybe an inch from the bottom to allow it to drain set it inside the other intact bucket then gamma seal lid on the drilled bucket. When you are fermenting the food scraps, much like making the bran, anaerobic conditions are what you are after. This has proven effective for me. If you have further questions I am happy to help Thanks for asking Proud Kraut.

I soaked the rice for a week the lid will get pretty tight on your jar because of the gas it will produce. I dumped it into my gallon of milk and set it in the dark corner of my pantry. I have also cheated when feeling lazy and added about a half cup of kefir to a gallon of milk and let it sit in a dark corner. The consistency of the separated whey was more creamy every time I used the kefir method and find it interesting because I believe it is related to the different strains of Lactobacillus present in this form of yogurt. You can also use some of the serum in another gallon of milk to ferment a new batch. I strain the whey out with cheesecloth and a strainer and I use the whey on bagels. You can make all kinds of cheese with it but cream cheese is simplest. You can also defer adding molasses to the serum and store the jug in the fridge to keep the microbes inactive for an extended time.

As far as getting the activated microbes to colonize the bran it is accomplished under anaerobic conditions. I placed my alfalfa meal and shredded paper in a 13-gallon trash bag then added some of my serum to the bag and de-chlorinated water and get all the material moist. I squeezed all the air out tied it bagged it again and did the same in the second bag. I then shoved it into a 5-gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid and let it sit for two weeks. It will have a sweet apple cider vinegar smell if the right microbes take hold. Then I dried the bran in a shady spot and finally once dried I stored it in buckets also with gamma lids. As for the bokashi compost container two five-gallon buckets one drilled with a 1/4 inch drill on the bottom and around the sides up maybe an inch from the bottom to allow it to drain set it inside the other intact bucket then gamma seal lid on the drilled bucket. When you are fermenting the food scraps, much like making the bran, anaerobic conditions are what you are after. This has proven effective for me. If you have further questions I am happy to help Thanks for asking Proud Kraut.
Well thanks! That way i should be successful next time. I love Bokashi but not the part of buying EM starter solution. My EMa seem to not live forever unfortunately. The Kefir thing is also nice to know, unfortunately i have no Kefir cultures going atm but have access to raw milk that should help with the procedure even without the use of Kefir.
I once forgot 1l raw milk in the fridge and after ibdont know, 1-3 weeks i camme backband it was almist camenbert cheese...
Since youre producing both Bokashi and your own activated charcoal you should try making activated bokashi charcoal (if youre not already at it).
I have a bag of (bought) premium bokashi charcoal ready and i will use it on fresh chicken manure (ill try layering the biochar and chicken shit in HDPE contaijer until ibrun out of char and ket it sit for min. 4 weeks before usage) to produce a non stinky super fertilizer as a amendmend and also base component of DIY Cannabis taylored Terra Preta...

apocalypse_now_willard.gif

musashi said: "- Cut off male plants, transplant on top of it to take advantage of existing fungi and exudates. Ding, ding, ding!"

I was able to experiment with this no longer than 5 minutes after I read it. While bending my plants to keep them smaller, I broke off two branches :mad: I stuck them in a glass of rainwater. No clonex, no nothing, already have too many plants. After 3 weeks, no roots, not dead, not really growing either. I put in soil, same thing. I read the above and went right out and tried it. Not proof of anything, just reporting what I experienced.

Both plants had been in containers like the one on the left. Both plants looked the same.The one on the right is now in a container that I'd cut down a male from. Stalk and roots still in container. The one in the container with the roots and stalk is growing much healthier.

opt_MR 1 P1080480.jpeg

Both plants looked like this before the transplant.

opt_MR 2 P1080481.jpeg

The plant grown with stalk and roots looks MUCH healthier. Sadly, it is a male.

opt_MR 3 P1080482.jpeg

You can see the male stalk that's left. I just stuck that sucker in there, stalk, roots, and all. I wish I had kept track of what plant this cutting came from. I'd like to know if it had been a female plant.:unsure: I may need some AI to help me keep track of shit!

opt_MR 4 P1080483.jpeg

Longball

Thought id share a little stuff i got going on today, his is me utilizing EMa to do some Bokashi fermenting without buckets in glas containers.

Poor mans Bokashi

Besides the starting solution nothing was specifically purchased to make this, all items where withing the household or would have been ejected from.the household as wasteproducts.

Items used:

Liquid EM solution and random sugar source with tapwater for EMa solution.

One Glass was Eggshells with spent Coffegrounds that at one point wasnt closed properly, had fly larva in and stunk so i topped it off with EMa again screwed lid on properly and fermented them alive.
bokashisoil CE layers.png

One Glass only Banana peels + EMa
bokashisoil B pur.png

One Glass Linseed cake + EMa
bokashisoil LS pur.png

Trashy 10L bucket

Small shovel and a stick (just to be exact)

The one thing i really did on purpose was the Banana peels Bokashi as a PK rich amendment.
Coffee & Eggshells was combined on purpose but rather experimental version
Linseed cake just wasnt used for anything and probably full of goodies i didnt even check what to expect but it will be good i guess

Everything was ferment for 4- indonknowhowmany weeks. Pretty neglegted 'project'

Not even sure that my EMa solution works properly anymore but at leats the coffee one had bigbass mycelium on top...sexy...and a little scary for first timers...

Long story short, all this needs to break down in soil and i plan on using these 10L of recycled soil and bokashi as an upcycle for both to end up with a very rich 10L of Bokashihumus for topdressing, compost tea, soilmix...whatever your style is.

Just added layers of soil - bokashi - soil - bokashi - soil anlet it rest forr some weeks and then give it a mix. Thats the plan.

Bottom layer of soil
bokashisoil bottomlayer.png

Coffee and Eggshell bokashi (buried it deep still stinks like shit and coffeeine)
bokashisoil CE mycel.png
bokashisoil CE_1.png

Next layer of soil- above it - next layer of bokashi (Banana peels and Linseed cake bokashi)

bokashisoil B.png
bokashisoil LS.png

Sealed off by anothe layer of soil lightly pressed on
bokashisoil.png

Snail came around to approve its all natural...
bokashisoil snail_1.png

I hope i could inspire a few to try homemeade bokashi as a base to mix with your soil and reuse it, fermented foodwaste is often a higher quality input than what you can buy in bulk and easy to make. I wouldnt rely on it only the way i just showcased but it sure is a great way to recirculate organic matter and microorganism into exhausted growsoil.
The enzymes from the EM break down a lot of stuff and are -living- thus i wanted to post this in the living soil thread.
Plus fungi and worms will love a proper cooked Bokashi base.

Last edited:
@ODZ i happened to be already a step ahead of what i thought...looks like my diluted rests of EMa juice did something to the rice i had jarred up somewhere down the line...think i'll have to give it a stir and add some milk oo water, not sure if i want to distrub/overcolonize the existing microbiome of this one. The darker stuff is residue from the previous run of coffee bokashi (not the one from previous post).
I use mostly on the outside garden as it is not as nutrient rich (depending on the beans i think) as i need it for LED.m

Redrice Bokashi.png

Think i can make this a bit more powerful if stirring up and adding a little sugar source to have it as a starter inoculant, ibwant the whole rice full of mycelium. Need to find a cheap/free malted barley or bran source gotta check the neighbourhood...gonna do a few sacks in the yard as long as the weather allows me to and put the finished product in buckets...any experience in drying bokashi bran for storage? I know you can buy the bran inoculated so it must be possible somehow...

Last edited:
Another one...as i am learning more and digging deeper i come across different stuff.
This is said to be the original poster from Santa Cruz Haze growers, given out under the shelter in the early 70s.
It was said in the article it contained a how to so i went after it, i was too curious what i may find.

Happens to contain a soilmix recipe, the base mix is given in percentages but not as a whole amount vs the amendmends also refered to as 'minerals' are give in weight (lbs).
Would make sense to pin down what the amount of basemix is to get the ratio.
What was the standard back the in Santa Cruz?
A (1) cubic foot maybe?

picture(1).jpg

Some great posts & info @ODZ thank you!

Back