damaged stem

luvtogrow

About 3 weeks ago, i dropped a fan on a plant in early flower, broke some lower stems off. Just noticed, now nearly 4 weeks into 12/12 that the main stem is split open about 3" long 1/2" wide and deep. Should i put something on it? tape over tar, vaseline, bandaid. Never had or even seen this before, so if i don't hear back, i'll just tape over, around it, to keep whatever out/in.:confused:

luvto - You may have lucked out, breaking the stem when you did (transition to flower). IME, plants that are snapped/cropped/dropped before the stems get woody generally recover ok. If they are going to show problems, it will be in the immediate aftermath of the break. If the plant looks healthy now, no worries. It may be a good idea to support above the break once the buds start to fill out, but by then the plant will have had 6-8 weeks to recover, and if you just noticed now, she is prolly ok. I wouldn't worry too much about anything 'foreign' going into the plant if she is otherwise healthy. If you DO decide to put something over the break, be sure that you can loosen/remove it, as the stems should still thicken between now and harvest. I tried to fix a break with 2 small hose clamps and a popsicle stick one time, and did more harm than good when the clamps began to constrict the stem. I would have been better off leaving it alone, and trying REAL hard to not bump into it (my new method, lol).
:)

Last edited:
About 3 weeks ago, i dropped a fan on a plant in early flower, broke some lower stems off. Just noticed, now nearly 4 weeks into 12/12 that the main stem is split open about 3" long 1/2" wide and deep. Should i put something on it? tape over tar, vaseline, bandaid. Never had or even seen this before, so if i don't hear back, i'll just tape over, around it, to keep whatever out/in.:confused:

If it looks healthy then it healed itself

Thanks for the replies. Amazing how these things can take abuse! I'll leave it alone since it's flowering fine.

Amazing how these things can take abuse!
Yeah they are just a weed. Look how hard it is to get rid of unwanted weeds in the yard. After mankind has been erased all that will survive is roaches and weeds, and maybe lawyers.

Back