brown tips

element420

My plants were yellowing so I had to invest in a cheap ph kit and I bought Ionic grow for soil/coco and some neem for a preventative, I seen a couple gnats I know its from the soil ...damn miracle grow organic crap....

So I sprayed them with diluted neem and watered them with ph'd water as mine was on the base side so I had used a little bit of ph up and retested water and it showed yellow on the test chart. I also added the neem in the ph'd water for a soil treatment. I used 1/5th of the recommended grow nute. Today I noticed brown tips on 8 of 12 plants...

Think its nute burn? I thought they were starving so I just wanted to see how they react to really diluted feeding. I also foilar sprayed the diluted feed and neem on the leaves....maybe thats what did it?

I am lost as what else I can do to get these plants right lol...I was told to dump the soil and repot them in new soil but I am broke atm and they just got going good after putting the jiffy peat pots in the bigger pots w/ soil. I plan on repotting them for bloom in some fox farm soil or maybe something with no nutes so I can control it better. I dont plan on using soil once I have my selected few parent plants. I will switch to hydro in an ebb & gro 12 bucket setuup using clones. I only plan on the parents staying in soil.

Brown tips suck and look like shit but they are not going to kill your plant. When you are tweaking new nutes or just get used to some new medium these things may happen. Flush with some water ph'ed to 6. Smoke some bud, and let your roots take care of your plants.

Eliminating Possibilities To Pinpoint Problem

Your test kit Shows yellow ? . I use the same type of test kit ( General Hydroponics PH test kit ) which when yellow reads PH6 .
This is fine for Soil Grown applications ( For Hydro I find Beige to be The best colour @ PH5.5-5.8 .
Are Your leaf tips curling Upwards , Or Downwards ?( Hooking )
Did You Overwater Your Plants During Transplantation ( Jiffy Pots Or Jiffy Plugs , Especially The Pots i Have Found the roots have a hard time breaking through the pots , Unlike the plugs )
Whats the PH Reading Of Your Run Off Water ?( In Your catch Tray )
Windburn ; Are Your Fans Blowing Directly At Your Plants ? If So Deflect The Breeze off A Wall
A Image Would Be A Great Help In Diagnosing Your Problem, But Using A Elimination Of Possibilities Is Also A Good Way Of Detection.
I Don't Know If This Image Will be Of Any Help , But It Covers The Basics , Including The Commonest Of Mistakes ; Overwatering .
JKP

Attachments

• What Went Wrong.jpg
    What Went Wrong.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Damping off troubleshooter.jpg
    Damping off troubleshooter.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Chloroplast Epidemiology.jpg
    Chloroplast Epidemiology.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Chloroplast -1972 Book..jpg
    Chloroplast -1972 Book..jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Remember Your P.R.T.jpg
    Remember Your P.R.T.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Osmosis.jpg
    Osmosis.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Plant Basics 101-1972 Book.jpg
    Plant Basics 101-1972 Book.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 6
JKP's advice is just about spot on, really. It could be many things. A good sign that you gave it too much N is if the ends of the leaves curl downwards. A very low rH, lamp burn, scraping against something when you moved them, foliar feeding them under a strong HPS, too high a temp..all these things might have done it. The best you can do going forwards is to just make sure that everything is right and the plant will sort itself out.
I do mean EVERYTHING, though...including eliminating those gnats and making sure you have good, healthy, LIVING soil and that the air conditions are right. Make sure that the plant tops aren't too close to the lights.

Brown leaf ends isn't a good sign but it isn't necessarily too bad.

Good Luck

GS

Element I just reread post and saw the part about adding neem to the water you feed your plants. Neem is good for foilar spray but IMHO should not be poured directly into your soil. A good remedy for your gnats would be an inch or so of pure perlite on top of your soil. The neem will kill your beneficials in the soil indiscriminately.

thanks for all the tips everyone...I am gonna add some pics. I am a camera noob so I couldt get clear pics but I did manage to get a few pics

I dont have curling on the leaves up or down. I wasnt ph'ing the water at first. Thinking maybe lockout? My well water is basey...high ph so I been using ph down to ph water to 6.seems to be helping. The Jiffy peat im using is cups. Still having brown tips.I used a dilution of 1/5 the recomended feed.greened up my plants...but now I have more brown tips...albeit they look a little better. I also treated with neem oil in the fiolar spray and at root level to ward off gnats,also put up fly tape. I watered them heavily with ph'd water today and added half dilution of root stimulator. Will not water for a few days now. Have fan breeze against wall so its indirect. Im using 6500k t8's right now but Wedsnday there going under a 400w 6500k metal halide Will not add anything to water except ph adjustment until they look hungry. Might get sand or vermiculite soon to add on top of soil.afraid sand will bring in mites...hoping home depot has vermiculite or silica stones or something to top soil with and trap gnats.plants are so so.brown tips but not too bad yet lol. I do have one mutated looking plant though and one sick one. Not sure what to do with those.

I'd Hold Off With The Neem Oil ( As Previously Mentioned ) Until The Plant Grows To A Bigger Size
The Oil Can Affect The Transpiration Of The leaf By Blocking The Stomata ( Pores ) Of The leaf.
Continue Doing A 5 Day Bug Check , And Keep Room Neat And Tidy
Gnats ( Scariad Fly ) Are More Often Than Not Attracted To Overly Wet Soils And I Think This Is Where Your Problem May Lie
Stick A Small Raw Potato Wedge In Your Soil For A Week To Diagnose The Severity Of Your Fungus Gnat Colony ( Fungus Gnats Are Not A Big Problem With Short Flowering Plants , But In Your Case , Being Seedlings , It Is A Problem.
Diahydro ( Silicate ) Is Great Stuff ( Kills Spider Mites Too ) See http://www.elementshydroponics.com

Sharp Sand ( Also Known As Silver Sand ) Is Also A Great Deterrent

Get Your Well Water Tested By Your Local Water Authority ( $40-$50 ) And Consider Investing In A Reverse Osmosis Filter
Stop Foliar Feeding And Water Less ( @ 1/4 Strength ) With Some better Nutrients ( Alaska Fish fertilizer Is Available Where Miracle Gro Is )
The Last Time Miracle Gro has been Mentioned In Any Of My Books Is Circa 1978 ( Ed Rosenthal & Mel Frank ).
By Using Such A Challenging Formula I Think You Are Making Your Grow Harder
Use The K.I.S.S Technique ( Keep It Simple Sunshine );)
JKP:)

Using miracle grow soil, not fertilizer. The retail stores here have plant food off the shelf except home depot. They have tree and shrub stuff and rose stuff, not much else. I have ionic grow for soil/coco. Will report tonight with a water report and more photos.

will I need to use bought water...the only thing I have is a kitchen faucet britta atm...theres no hook up where the purified water comes out :( and filters are pricey so if my water will work id rather run a hose from my faucet.

I live 5 blocks away from a lake. I have well water. The hot water goes thru a bioler system and supplies hot for shower and baseboard heat thru pipes. my water has a faint smell of eggs when I rinse out my mouth in the bathroom sink(unfiltered there). visible signs of rust(discolerment) in white shower over a couple weeks or so time

Cheap water test strip absopure sent me tested as Hard Water

Heres a water test done three years ago. no violations in 2006 when tested.
Regulated
Flouride ppm 0.4
Nitrate ppm ND

Unregulated
Sodium ppm 16
Sulfate ppm 8
Calcium ppm 18
Iron ppm 0.2
Magnesium ppm 24

Collected in Distribution System
Lead ppb 51 collected 6/06 and ppb 4 on 12/06
Copper ppb 0.33 collected 6/06 and ppb .053 on 12/06

If my water is usable what kind of modifications will I need to make with nutes?

Thanks in advance for any help here!

I dont have a ph meter but I have the GH ph water kit. The water is testing green colored...basey side maybe 7-7.5 id guess

Last edited:
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
4 weeks out, flushed with ph'd water, sprayed with diluted neem oil foilar and at root level. This was taken few days ago, plants are greening up but lower growth is still yellow and browned....I think it was the basey ph well water causing nute lock out and the jiffy peat cups messing with the roots

Last edited:
Add One Tablespoon Of Epsom Salts To A Gallon Of Water
Wait 12 Hours And Test It Again
It Should Now Read PH6 ( Yellow )
Feed When Dry ( Ionic - http://www.growthtechnology.com )
Ionic One Part Nutrient DOES Have Issues With Magnesium Deficiencies
Maybe We're making Some Headway;)
JKP

gonna foilar spray with epsom tonight.....today is gonna be the first day on a hid though...should I wait till lights out? or spray a couple hours before I fire up the mh?

gonna foilar spray with epsom tonight.....today is gonna be the first day on a hid though...should I wait till lights out? or spray a couple hours before I fire up the mh?
A Couple Of Hours Before ;) ( Only If Lights Off Temp Allow )
Personally I Would Only Concentrate On The Issue Of Overwatering
Heres A MG Deficiency ( But I Don't Have Brown Leaf )
I Do Have Excellent Drainage Though
Joe:)

Attachments

• Post Epsom-MG- Jan4- Early Haze.jpg
    Post Epsom-MG- Jan4- Early Haze.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 13
now I got the brown spots on the leaves....damn it lol!

Fed calcium and magnesium along with a foilar of mag and h20 and gave a full strength feeding of the ionic grow....

lets see if these babies are real hungry....lowered temps in room to lower 70's

Back