Nl#5 Haze 2010 Direct

GreenFever

Hey Everyone,

Just started these a couple weeks ago and figured I would document the grow in a thread to help compile information on this new hybrid... Pic quality won't be great but I had more in mind documenting than displaying.

greenfever-albums-nl-5-haze-2010-picture5555-img-20110624-00031.jpg

18 seeds went into BioBizz LighMix unamended. Seventeen seedlings, with one obvious runt. They have been under T5s for 24 hours, no more than 2 inches away from the bulb. Temps from 70-86, humidity 45-55. I have been using a havd held sprayer to water them...this gives an even watering and simulates rain kinda...first time doing it, and I, as well as the plants, enjoy it...helps with low humidity too. Water has been non ph'd distilled water from the local grocery store.

greenfever-albums-nl-5-haze-2010-picture5556-img-20110624-00032.jpg

They were transplanted today and put under 400W MH. They will remain under the light for 24 hours.

greenfever-albums-nl-5-haze-2010-picture5558-img-20110624-00034.jpg

Nodes one on top of the other under T5s...internode...what internode? Hope this ride is a smooth one, so far so good... Peace!

Good luck Green!

I am with Josh... safe growing and i hope you find that elusive braided girl that everyone wishes they had in their gardens...

Or you could just pull a monster pheno like Gratphul did and be done with it!

CM

Hey Josh,

Yea, some of the better looking seedlings I have grown, so that makes me excited. And I'm glad there is interest...I will update regularly for sure.

Hey Chana,

Thanks for the luck my man...the ever so elusive luck :p. Yea, I hope to get some crazy lookin' colas like you and gratephul pulled off...that would be sweet.

So, my area is actually on the verge of a heat wave, and so I diligently swapped the HID for my larger T5 setup...we'll see how the temps and humidity go...the HID created temps as high as 90 and relative humidity below 40. They looked good however this morning after their first 24 hours in their new pots and under the HID. Enjoy the weekend everybody! Peace!

i got 3 myself in flower on day 12 of 12/12, so far one has tripled, one doubled and the other hasn't even got near the 2x range so i feel this hybrid offers a lot of options...i'm experiencing much more stretch on my AngelHeart but have 5gals of them so its a lil more diverse into the gene pool...all the best as i will be following closely
Edit: I had 4 males and 2 of them were the stinkiest plants i've ever encountered so i feel very promising about this line

i got 3 myself in flower on day 12 of 12/12, so far one has tripled, one doubled and the other hasn't even got near the 2x range so i feel this hybrid offers a lot of options...i'm experiencing much more stretch on my AngelHeart but have 5gals of them so its a lil more diverse into the gene pool...all the best as i will be following closely
Edit: I had 4 males and 2 of them were the stinkiest plants i've ever encountered so i feel very promising about this line

Hey Curious,

It's good to hear from you again, and it's nice to know I have so many people to draw help from! I was planning on topping this time...:eek: never been a fan...but Chana and Gratephul both independently stated this strain might benefit from topping, so I'm gonna give it a go. And I plan on flowering at no more than 18 inches with a little more than 5 feet head room. About the smell... oh I'm with you ;)... my seedlings got their own stench already! Crazy! Keep in touch! Peace!

Hey Curious,

It's good to hear from you again, and it's nice to know I have so many people to draw help from! I was planning on topping this time...:eek: never been a fan...but Chana and Gratephul both independently stated this strain might benefit from topping, so I'm gonna give it a go. And I plan on flowering at no more than 18 inches with a little more than 5 feet head room. About the smell... oh I'm with you ;)... my seedlings got their own stench already! Crazy! Keep in touch! Peace!

i'm in a very similar situation with mine as they get about 5ft of headroom if you start from the top of the growbags they are in...i'm doing some serious lst'ing on the tripler and also a bit on the one that doubled...after i select a keeper from the 3 this round i'm going to experiment with some serious topping myself so keep me updated on how it turns out, i'd greatly appreciate it!

Hey Sensi,

Hey man, thanks. Yea, It's exciting working with something so new. I imagine you went direct...good ol shanti...I popped a "full" pack and still have almost "half" a pack left! :p Hope your decision finds you well!

Hey Elmer,

Those from clones my man? The room looks fairly homogeneous. And if so, I would love to hear how selection went...a lot of assumption...I know:p Thanks for the heads up...again I assume those plants are currently goin?...I would love to hear of their progress in the future...keep in touch!

Hey Curious,

You got it my man!

So the T5 definitely helped with the temps, keeping the tent below 90 at the hottest point of day, but humidity is still pretty low. I'm gonna put a bucket of water in there today to see how that helps... The girls look good though, and are continuing to grow at a great pace...I might be sold on 24 hr veg as opposed to having any sort of dark period...faster growth, and no worries of light leaks to honk things up early on... Peace!

Last edited:
So we are on about the 5th node, and from my understanding this is where many feel the plant is old enough to be topped for the first time? Any suggestions, or just some verification on the fifth node idea, would be helpful. I plan on updating weekly, that would leave Friday for the next photo shoot ;), by then the fifth node should be well mature, and the plant will likely be on the 7th node...they are growin' fast!...so I'm planning on topping at the fifth node on Friday after the photo shoot...any suggestions? Peace!

well i top on the 3rd to 7th node depending on the strain...indica's that don't stretch much get topped more on the early side (3-4nodes) so that they bush out and bring in some weight toward harvest...Sativa's on the other hand tend to get all tall and bushy without a great deal of topping...i topped my SSH at the 6th node and then again 10-14days later shortly before flower...i'd say 5 nodes is the average and for a strain like the NL5Hz mine were topped on the 7th node and then flowered 7days later, all of them are quite bushy and as mentioned stretch is very managable...my AngelHearts have surpassed the NL5Hz atleast 6inches taller bare minimum and i thought with the Nordle in the AH it would be much shorter and the smallest pheno is way bigger than the NL5Hz...the NL5Afg stretched a great deal more than the NL5xHz's i'd say that the NL5HzC is a very managable hybrid and more indica in structure than the AngelHeart...hope all that rambling helps a bit

Hey Curious,

Very helpful my man! Although it is still extremely early the thought that the NL#5 dominates in at least plant structure has occurred to me...by the looks of them now, I don't think 50% haze would cross anybody's mind. So, yea, I'll top them between 5-7 and take pics this Friday just before the topping. Thanks man! Peace!

I've never heard the 5th node thing you mention. I go more on how healthy the plant is. Ive topped strains before than with no problems but I was also familiar with that plants "style".
I can tell you that the ONE nl5haze I am currently growing is haze Dom and stretches tremendously. 12/12 from Seed ended up close to 6 ft tall. Be prepared to lst and bend if you have to on some.

i usually wait until they show their sex before I top. I do supercrop before the 7 th node if needed.I say 7th node because most strains I've started from seed show between 7th and ninth node..
A good friend just finished a pack of these ordered direct from Shanti about 6-7 months ago.Got @ 4 phenos..Kept a 100 day one I dubbed "Adrenaline"..cuz thats what she is..lemon lime flavored adrenaline :)

I've never heard the 5th node thing you mention. I go more on how healthy the plant is. Ive topped strains before than with no problems but I was also familiar with that plants "style".
I can tell you that the ONE nl5haze I am currently growing is haze Dom and stretches tremendously. 12/12 from Seed ended up close to 6 ft tall. Be prepared to lst and bend if you have to on some.

Hey Resinfinger,

Not sure where I remember hearing it but it has come up a couple times in conversation...maybe "many" should be replaced by "some" ;). These girls are pretty healthy and I hope they will take well to the topping. Six feet 12/12 from seed :eek: Soon their will be enough darkness to flower naturally outdoors, so if I got any crazy stretchers like you have found I can put them outside and let em go crazy!!

i usually wait until they show their sex before I top. I do supercrop before the 7 th node if needed.I say 7th node because most strains I've started from seed show between 7th and ninth node..
A good friend just finished a pack of these ordered direct from Shanti about 6-7 months ago.Got @ 4 phenos..Kept a 100 day one I dubbed "Adrenaline"..cuz thats what she is..lemon lime flavored adrenaline :)

Hey Budluver,

I'm curious about your reasoning behind topping after they show sex. Yea...adrenaline sounds good to me man!...100 days is a while...but...I know it is awhile away, but it would be interesting to hear how much of that flowering time is cut down on the clone run...Thanks for the inspiration! Peace!

Update!

Hey All,

So they are still doing pretty well despite temps reaching 90 F and relative humidity going below 40%.

greenfever-albums-nl-5-haze-2010-picture5622-img-20110701-00040.jpg

I choose not to top them today right after the watering and plan on doing so tomorrow after they have had a little time to adjust to the wet soil. So I will top tomorrow, and then give a light feed the following day with the MEST Grow from Advanced Nutrients since I noticed some of the lower growth is slightly lighter than the top, and this will be the first feed...up until now, except for a beneficial bug watering, they have only recieved non-pH'd distilled water.

greenfever-albums-nl-5-haze-2010-picture5623-img-20110701-00037.jpg

Above is a good representative of the structure so far.

Hope all are well! Peace!

looking beautiful my friend... very uniform so far, sure that will change in flower tho, variety is the spice of life n all! lol.. can see the afghani from the nl side with the big rounded indica-esk leaves..

have you not considered repotting into fresh soil rather than giving them a feed? look about right size for a repot or u sexing em before you put em into bigger pots?

all the best with the grow mate... c

Hey Mr. Cheese,

Yea, I'm seeing a lot of the NL side as well...like you say though, we'll see what happens in flowering ;). I actually hadn't considered transplanting since I'm not sure if I could fit 17 3 gallon pots under my 8 lamp 4 foot T5, and also it seems like I just repotted, but they are growing fast.

So, yea, I'm gonna check that out and consider it...if I have enough soil to waste on some males I might pot up before sexing, but yea this is their veg pot and I wanted to get some preflowers to sex them before potting into the final container. Thanks for the thought! Peace!

Hey GF!
Plants are looking great! Hard to predict what will happen once they start flowering cuz we all know what that 50% haze is capable of!

That's awesome you can finish outside if necessary...I hope not to jinx you of you don't want to do it but I'd love to see the new Nl5xHZ outside!

Cheers all,
Sensi13

Hey Sensi,

Thanks man! I know the high temps and low humidity won't play into the hand, but if I have a good high female to male ratio, I will likely be unable to fit them all in the tent anyways...so chances are good some will go outside in my Solexx greenhouse...Keep in touch! Peace!

Hey GF,
I read an interesting post on here in a thread about foxtailing and "bud elongation" if you will. They stated something to the effect of high daytime temps during flowering can cause stem elongation (within the inflorescence or bud) to allow for a higher surface area of flower clusters to release heat. In theory it makes sense to me but I haven't looked up any similar studies to support or refute it. So the hot summer time temps might give you some less dense nuggets. Anyone else have feedback on that one?

Of course genetics plays a role in this with sativas having a more "airy" structure and indica more dense floral clusters. That also is in line with sativas evolving in hotter, tropical regions.

Lookin' forward to the next update!

Cheers,
Sensi13

Hey Sensi,

I think I remember the post and if I recall it was within the context of evolution: a trait they gained as it was beneficial to them to have in their environment. It made sense to me and I liked the post as well. Along the same line of reasoning though, may the dry conditions have more of an effect on transpiration? It is my understanding they generally originate from areas with high humidity? So without the high humidity maybe the trait won't be expressed? Just trying to convince myself I'm goin' to have some fat colas :p Would be interested to hear from others or maybe even the original poster. Oh...yea...I'm planning on weekly updates. Enjoy your Fourth of July weekend...and I just recently told myself I was going to quite drinkin...We'll see how that goes! Peace!

Hey Sensi,

This was the post I was referring to, and the one I thought you were speaking of.

Hi Vajra,

I like to approach this problem as a combination of both physics and long term natural selection due to environmental conditions. As we all know, heat radiated from an object is directly related to its surface area via a concrete mathematical relationship. Think about the ribs on a radiator, these serve to help disperse heat. Plants need to maintain a certain temperature range in order grow, thus they will try to disperse heat in the budding cycle by elongation of the buds in order to increase the surface area of the bud in contact with the air. So, if the temperatures in your room are too high for cell division to occur efficiently your plants growth will indicate such. Also, as many people have mentioned, it is largely strain dependent, this is where the long term natural selection due to environmental conditions comes in. Sativas being well experienced at dispersing heat due to being selected over generations in largely warm climates will have looser floral clusters, indicas that have been selected over generations in cooler climates will have tighter floral clusters as heat dispersion was probably not so much a factor to it's survival as much as heat retention. But as with all things remember there are exceptions.

Hope that helps

Peace!

Back