Who has the real RoadKill Skunk ?

I'll save you much trouble with any future questions.
If it has a name like girl scout cookies, white castle, or cheese quake.....it was a pollen chucking closet hack that got lucky (rezdog or sub cool anyone? ).
I honestly don't care for the names like starlight og lemon kush mudflap.
It's not even really a strain....a strain is a genetic standard that can be found in nature or produced easily by 2 known and papered strains.
It's a hybrid of 2 hybrids of 2 hybrids, and so on.
All these "cutting only" strains? It's not even a hybrid line....its 1 fookin plant.

Do yourself a favor and search for Chimera, the man is a walking dictionary of plants and biology.....ask him, he is very open and willing to provide info.
I will warn you though, be prepared for a doctorate thesis type responce....he is that knowledgable.

I agree with you, i wonder why it really smell and taste like mint cookies and very very stinky.

i can still show you the skunk pheno interesting sativa

Yeah, that guy posting as Nevil is not the real guy.
First of all, he spelled his own name wrong.
It's "Nevil", not "Neville".

Second of all, part of that post you keep quoting is actually a quote from the real Nev made here on MNS. It then continues with some extra info which is incorrect.

Devil is an indica line that is unrelated to the jim ortega seeds. Pre-dated them in the portfolio by quite a while.
Throwbacks to afghan T will not be made more likely by doing an outcross to devil.

Afghan T is what you seek to re-create superskunk which was the closest thing Sensi had to the real old skunk that spread across the US from the hills of NorCal. Afghan S was sweet, not skunky.
Nev only mentions "S" because the only way to get "T" in an indica at MNS is mixed with "S", "ort15" and skunk in Shanti's Nordle offering from a batch of old Nev seeds.
It is also available in Afghan Haze, but must be selected out of course.

People questing for the original skunk may as well be looking for the arc of the covenant or some other legendary thing that will never be found.

BTW: if you spent 3 minutes checking out the person posting as neville on rollitup, you would find posts like this one where he says things like:
old-spice-albums-old-grows-picture13419-fakenev-rollitup.jpg

https://www.rollitup.org/t/nevils-new-genetics.677036/page-7#post-9776340

If you want to learn what Nevil shared with the web, I would suggest you read his posts here on MNS. It's the only place he came out to play in public, and we should all be grateful Shanti left the posts here for us to use as a reference.

thanks for sharing, so throwback to afghan T are impossible ? i have read many of his post and will try to read many more :) thanks for your input

Yeah, this is one of the big draws of this forum.
Other boards have way more active users and all the positives (and negatives) that come from that.

But this board is the only one where you can sometimes directly speak with one of the "legends" (Shanti) and can find some other "legends", like Nevil et al, have discussions in older, archived threads.

I believe I have already read everything posted by Nevil here and sometimes I go through it again, sometimes I discover a post or thread I had somehow missed. A lot of gems in there, especially regarding history and genetics/gene pool stuff (which are among the things that interest me the most). You barely find that type of coherent, to the point, unembellished info on these things as you find them in posts/threads from Nevil and Shanti.

Vis-a-vis Skunk, terpenes, Strawberry, Roadkill, etc. etc.:

From my research and first experiences with Skunk and Skunk containing strains, I have long since come to the believe that Skunk is somewhat of an "all-rounder" in terms of terpene profiles.

I remember the first couple of multi strain grows I did, with 5 or 6 strains in one grow and about 5 plants per strain, all strains had a certain range of terpene profiles but Skunk and Skunk containing strains seemed to always have a wider range of terpene profiles.

We all know that Skunk, along with NL, has been probably the most crossed strain in cannabis history. It's in almost everything.

I used to always think that's because Skunk and NL were just the "best" overall strains out there when things got heated in the scene and took off and that's why they were used so widely, because they were so popular.

With regards to NL, I still am of that belief: Was/is just one of/the strongest Indica/s and was crossed to give any strain that Indica/body "oomph" if it was missing that and that was desired.

But with Skunk... It was never the most potent strain, was it? The most "knock you on your socks" strain. But it was stinky, smelly, it was used so much because of its wide ranging terpene profile, which came with a solid body of other properties.
That is what I believe by now.

And from what I have seen of Skunk and Skunk containing genetics so far, I can absolutely believe any sort of terpene profile to be found in there.

Blowingupjake here on the board grew out a pack of Walkabout and found a dead ringer Blueberry Cupcake pheno in that pack.
How? How did that happen if DJ Short had to do all that work, sacrificing a lot of desirable properties, like potency, in the process to come out with his world famous and highly desired Blueberry?
How does a relatively new/young grower like Jake find a dead on Blueberry pheno in a pack of Walkabout? From a company that had no dealings or joined projects with DJ Short or anyone using his Blueberry genetics?

I can imagine two answers:
A) MNS did at some point introduce Blueberry into their gene pool and it just happened to pop out in that Walkabout pack
B) DJ Short and all the others, used Skunk (or at least the genetic forebearers of Skunk - afghan, colombian, mexican) in their breeding efforts and the Blueberry terpene profile was a combination with or within the Skunk line

From what I could gather and my limited experience, I would say B) is more likely.

That being said, regarding "So which Skunk from which Breeder is "the best" which one should I grow?":
Personal preference ...
I personally do like the MNS version because like most MNS strains, they apparently refrained from bottlenecking it too hard. That's why you always get more seeds per pack with MNS than elsewhere: Because they refuse to bottleneck their strains to the point of no return for the tradeoff of being able to claim "at least 1 pheno as advertised in a pack of 10". Which I like a lot.

So I would say "Shit" is probably one of the Skunk offerings out there that would be the best bet to "start over" or try to re-create something like Roadkill or Garlic Bud or Cheese or the like.
I can definitely say from experience that the terpene profiles in Shit seem to be of a wide spectrum.

From what I could gather online, I would say most other Skunk offerings out there will be more bottlenecked towards the particular grower's/breeder's tastes.
Which doesn't mean they are "bad" or "worse than MNS shit". It just means they are more bottlenecked. Basically they did more of the breeding work for you already but in the direction they chose, which might not be the direction you would choose.

I know for example that Peakseeds Skunk has gotten quite a good reputation but it is bred and bottlenecked according to what they like/look for in that strain. I believe his was quite Indica heavy and not very fruity. Think MikeJ over at peakseeds generally liked his Indica stuff in the past and always went that direction. But last I spoke with him a few years ago, he was showing a great interest in moving towards Sativa strains.

Anyway, I digress. There are other sources, like MNS, that might be "less bottlenecked". I heard Uncle Fester's name dropped a lot with regard to "old school Skunk" that you could likely use to find a lot of the old terpene profiles that are missing in current offerings.

So in the end, my suggestion would be to make a decision if you want to try and breed, re-create whatever Skunk-related terpene profile you know from the past, or if you want to go with something readily on the market and would like a "worked" line already.

If you want to breed and try and re-create, go with "less worked" versions of Skunk like the MNS version.
If you want something readily available, you will have to find information on each particular Skunk breeder and what direction they took their Skunk and figure yourself if that sounds like what you would want.

What you can do beforehand is limit the pool of potential breeders to check out, by overall checking their reputation/community feedback.
You would quickly eliminate a lot of the Skunk offering entities out there, like Sensi or Dutch Passion.

I believe the Flying Dutchman's Skunk is actually one of the few strains you can buy from them.

Tough question to be honest...

Stay frosty Bros and Brodettes
Broseidon out

You make me want to try shit even more, i love mrnice. we already have a skunk that has a skunkyfunk strong taste, like the sweet skunk without the sweet portion.

might already have what i am looking for .... RKS a legend ? a ghost ? something legit ? some pollination accident in nature ?

About blueberry, is pure blueberry really that good ? i have tasted legal blueberry in canada and it didnt taste like blueberry or smell anything at all. is it just a bad pheno? and can you elaborate on that, how are you or jack so sure it was blueberry and was it stinky , smelly and tasting blueberry for real ?

i will post a grow journal with shit if i choose to take this path, i have a couple SSH growing right now at a friend's home. we're playing with some strains, now legal in canada :)

mrnice 4ever ! :)

... From what I understand, smells like chocolate and skunk are a rather complex combinations of odors. So skunk in weed is likely a complex combination of terpenes. Get it just right, and wham! There it is. But there are a million ways to miss that combination...
... so the stench likely comes from the Afghani side...
Like Chinese cooking; combine the sweet, sour, salty, bitter, spicy.

...Of course that may be pure luck as well...
Easier said than done.

... so the stench likely comes from the Afghani side...
A good starting point.

Good luck... It was pretty great, but more for the consistently heavy, relatively fast crop that was easy to grow and trim than the "best weed" label people attach to it... :)
American ingenuity and greed strikes again.

...People questing for the original skunk may as well be looking for the arc of the covenant or some other legendary thing that will never be found...

Agreed. It would take much money and expensive lab equipment as a starting point. But why? I am willing to acknowledge the many valuable contributions Skunk has made as a building block of todays cannabis culture but personally, I never liked it as a standalone. In combination, Jack Herer and Mango Haze come to mind. Outstanding products! I was fortunate to be in the middle of it in the 80's and I did appreciate the RKS smell but IMO it was an unfinished product. Overbalanced in aroma which warranted paranoia and undefinable as to effect other than confusion. The stinkiness did have bragging rights I guess as the smell was usually an indicator of potency. After smoking a half joint of Skunk I was left wondering if I should come or should I go; unable to make logical decisions and left without energy to give a shit. I've said it before, the effect was muddling. I would rather be flying in clear skies or comfortably numb and narcoed than to be stuck in purgatory within a medium high that never seemed to get me anywhere other than the fridge.
While aroma is paramount for some I am more interested in other aspects that have to do with stability, potency, and medicinal value- which is my number one objective. And in this day of security and privacy concern, this is not a direction I am going in.

Good luck to you braddahs in your search!

Aloha
M

Last edited:
Nice ! now that we know that some afghani was responsible for the smell, roadkill skunk must have then originated in Holland.

I was led to believe that there was no afghani - skunk mix in america or not at that period.

So that would indicate that RKS we are searching was in fact a pheno of super
skunk from Nevil breeding with afghani am i right ?

just trying to make some sense of the facts here.

thanks for the great infos musachi

Good luck. I think the memories of skunk being "the best" outstrip the reality. I would wager most searching for skunk didn't experience it. IMO and E, It was pretty great, but more for the consistently heavy, relatively fast crop that was easy to grow and trim than the "best weed" label people attach to it. I do remember it being more of a Sativa dom hybrid than it seems to tend to now.

Just an opinion. :)

You are right sir,

most people memories are tainted by non comparison with today standard, and it always feel like it was the golden age and now it's so bad, but it's doubtful that weed was so much better back then with everyone no ?

it's very hard to believe everyone ? had so much better in the past.

anyway here is the skunk no1 pheno my friend got the clone from someone who made selection og crop king seeds skunk.

here it is : tell me what u gys think

Attachments

• skunk 1.jpeg
    skunk 1.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 22
This year I will be doing some hunting and open pollination on the mns shit and mns devil, then possibly breeding the 2 together in hopes of finding something truly skunky

I’ve been looking for roadkill since the day I tried it and none have compared to that yellow haired skunk spray bud I tried, you could literally smell it from bloacks away, a truly remarkable terp profile

And with legalization happening around the world, I hope that myself or someone can find it once again and bring it back to its former glory

wow man on the road to kill the skunk i see ! lmao nice project i wish i would see the results

cant wait ur breeding project is insane mate

Road kill aka the original skunk was California only.
Trying to find it will only get you lost.

There was no Afghan in it...it was Lebanese and Moroccan indicas

so i guess theres 2 line of thinking so far,

hypothesis 1 = it has afghani mixed with the skunk that gave it it's stench and crazy stink and it's a pheno of super skunk from nev seed bank.

hypothesis 2 : it was from before in cali, with lebanese or/and morrocans in origin
so what kind of landrace is grown in morocco and lebanon ? some kind of hashplant ?

am i lost there or i understand correctly ?

I seriously doubt that. I never saw any Lebby or Moroccan tops in California ever. It was all hashish. And hashish did not have seeds. Nor does Lebanese have the terpene or cannabinoid profile for breeding skunk. I have grown a lot of Lebby weed here in the past several years now. It took me 2 years to source seeds for it through Europe. I have Blue Hemp and RSC IBL beans. They grow the same. Bekaa Valley genetics. True to form, they throw two phenos. A sativa pheno, and an indica-like pheno. They are pleasantly mild with light terpenes. I grow in a mild climate here and I cool cure my bud, so I get the most terpenes out of my grows. Lebby has a light floral profile. You can look at Ace Seed Co and they have posted 4 different terpene and cannabinoid profiles for Lebanese. Lebby is also high in CBD, and skunk has near zero CBD. So they did not come that route. Sorry. Nor is Lebanese an indica. Its a sativa... more mis-information passed down through the ages.

The more I collect and grow the Mediterranean landraces, the more I am convinced that they are 1) related, 2) much older than people say they are and have been grown there for much longer than people say they have been, 3) they are all sativas. Not that sativa and indica really mean anything. Newer research says that the psychotropic Cannabis strains are much more closely related than previously thought, as compared to hemp from Northern Europe and Ruderalis of northern Eurasia.

Last edited:

there is also the answer to the many statements / claims of Sam...LOL

Last edited:
Wow nice

Is ir your favorite smoke or in your top 10 say ?

Nope. It (strawberry skunk) does not have that great a high to it. Just an interesting taste. The high is muted and muddled. I smoke mostly Lebanese. Even high, easy to manage, no head rushes, no paranoia, and for whatever reason I have not built up a tolerance to it. Others have posted the same about Lebby not creating a higher tolerance. I noticed the same thing back in the day when I moved a lot of Lebanese red hash. I loved the stuff then, I love it now. I also smoke Durban Poison for morning wake 'n bake, and GDP if I cannot get to sleep at night. I also smoke Grape Ape and Maui Waui if I want to get party stoned. Those are my top 5. I have maybe 30 canisters of grams and eighths that I have bought from dispensaries here, and they all pale. Cindy 99, Super Silver Haze, OG whatever, Green Crack, Orange Skunk... to name a few. I will probably render them all into my next batch of hash oil. Or give them away. I also have my own failed grows, like J1 last year. The bud from that is lame. Trial and error.

I'll save you much trouble with any future questions.
If it has a name like girl scout cookies, white castle, or cheese quake.....it was a pollen chucking closet hack that got lucky (rezdog or sub cool anyone? ).
I honestly don't care for the names like starlight og lemon kush mudflap.
It's not even really a strain....a strain is a genetic standard that can be found in nature or produced easily by 2 known and papered strains.
It's a hybrid of 2 hybrids of 2 hybrids, and so on.
All these "cutting only" strains? It's not even a hybrid line....its 1 fookin plant.

Do yourself a favor and search for Chimera, the man is a walking dictionary of plants and biology.....ask him, he is very open and willing to provide info.
I will warn you though, be prepared for a doctorate thesis type responce....he is that knowledgable.

G `day N2

What feats of breeding has Chimera produced ?
S1 Girl scout Cookies , Blue Berry crosses and Fem crosses to elite clones .

Yes he knows the science . Does he use it ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Good luck. I think the memories of skunk being "the best" outstrip the reality. I would wager most searching for skunk didn't experience it. IMO and E, It was pretty great, but more for the consistently heavy, relatively fast crop that was easy to grow and trim than the "best weed" label people attach to it. I do remember it being more of a Sativa dom hybrid than it seems to tend to now.

Just an opinion. :)

Whatever skunk once was and wherever it was bred, it is not the same now as it was. It would have been a 50:50 hybrid. True F1 hybrids are the best IMO, like White Widow. Any strains from Holland and Master Thai now are likley to be so far down the Fx line that the original genetics are washed out. Too many generations. I did not get any seeds in my bags of skunk or I would have saved and froze them, like I did all my others. I kept the better seeds that I liked the highs from.

I smoked a lot of skunk back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and I never thought that much about it. For that and because it stank I did not buy much of it. There were better offerings around then. Like seeded Colombian for $40 an oz. For a short while really good Mexican seedless was around for $50-60 an oz. Red Lebby Hash. There was also better local home-grown. Mostly second gen red and white haired nearly seedless tops, for $60-80 an oz. And Big Sur Purple (AKA: Holy Weed/Zac Purple) which I think I paid around $100 an oz for. Skunk and Purple weed was all the rage. The smell and the color got people's attention. I preferred purple and Mexican seedless. The Mexican sense had these beautifully manicured and sparkling buds. Thai sticks had changed after the VN war, and I did not like the later fat ones.

Last edited:
Go back and read my post on page 4 of this thread.

Nothing I have posted pertains to skunk#1 or super skunk, or any other Amsterdam product.
I have only posted about the original California skunk which has of late been termed as "road kill".

If you took those old skunk buds and put them in a carefully rolled up bag, taped it shut, put that in carefully wrapped tin foil, and put that in another carefully wrapped and taped baggie....it still stank, strong enough to smell 10 feet away.
That is the bud I'm talking about.

Mel Frank never saw it, neither did Nevil or Skam the Skankman.
Exactly how do they know what it looked, smelled, or tasted like?
They didnt, and still don't know a thing about it.
If they did, skunk#1 might not be anything like it is today.....it would at least resemble ....skunk?

BigSur, bekaa valley isn't the only place in Lebanon and yes they did have pure indicas.....kinda hard to make hash the way they do with a sativa.....right?
No, I have no clue what they have over there these days.....last time I was there a barrack blew up all around me, that was 1983....look it up.

Honestly.
Why do you guys think there is no real skunky skunk these days ?
The market would snatch it up in a heart beat, right?
Why then has it not been replicated?

It's because you cant get there with Amsterdam strains.....no amount of crossing them will get you there, no how, no way.

Please stop with the supposition and hyperbole.....please.

Nice to know, was it good enuff for you to keep a cutting of those pre skunk seeds and funny trade back and forth between the new world and the ancient world ( europe and america).

On a side note, what do you think of master thai and uncle fester as breeders compared to mr.nice that IMHO is the benchmark.

And do they have strains that are much better than others in their offering ?

I tried to re-veg the strawberry skunk plant but it croaked. Never happened before. I have always been able to re-veg plants after harvest under lights. No loss though, I have over 100 more of these beans. This was from a private collector trade, and not from a seed company. So they were not in any offering, per se. I have some other skunk beans from NorCal as well. Never saw or heard of skunk coming from SoCal. It was around California long before they had it in Holland. Say 1977? Maybe earlier. That as the first I saw it.

Yes, odd that I have gotten some rare heirloom from Europe and not here where they came from. I got Cali-O and Maui Waui from Europe as well. But that seems more common than not. For example, I have rare Colombian and Mexican landrace strains that are extinct in those places now. The black market world for you. As for breeders? Breeding is variable. Some like me breed mainly IBL to preserve lines. I think that is all that Uncle Fester set out to do. It was similar in the 70s in Big Sur, where they grew Zac Purple for a decade before I got it from them. Hybrids were not always the goal, nor should they be, IMO. Master Thai is something different, and I do not know much about his lines. He inherited Uncle Fester's beans (who happened to be his real uncle).

As for the 'Dutch benchmark breeders', my version is that they leveraged the work done in California and other places. And in California they leveraged the work done over the previous 10,000 years of armies of unknown people growing weed. Not to suck up, but Shanti is a rarity in that he bred White Widow himself, one of the true Dutch breeds. But few hybrids merit long term growing and they fade in time. Its the same with other plant hybrids in the flower industry. People always want new sensations. I collect strains and I think of then as the benchmarks, not the fairly tale stories of who may or may not have bred them. Like who made Bubblegum in Indiana? Who was the Indian that came up with Northern Lights on an island west of Seattle? Or who brought Zac Purple to Big Sur? We all have beans that other people worked long long long before us.

I tried to re-veg the strawberry skunk plant but it croaked. Never happened before. I have always been able to re-veg plants after harvest under lights. No loss though, I have over 100 more of these beans. This was from a private collector trade, and not from a seed company. So they were not in any offering, per se. I have some other skunk beans from NorCal as well. Never saw or heard of skunk coming from SoCal. It was around California long before they had it in Holland. Say 1977? Maybe earlier. That as the first I saw it.

Yes, odd that I have gotten some rare heirloom from Europe and not here where they came from. I got Cali-O and Maui Waui from Europe as well. But that seems more common than not. For example, I have rare Colombian and Mexican landrace strains that are extinct in those places now. The black market world for you. As for breeders? Breeding is variable. Some like me breed mainly IBL to preserve lines. I think that is all that Uncle Fester set out to do. It was similar in the 70s in Big Sur, where they grew Zac Purple for a decade before I got it from them. Hybrids were not always the goal, nor should they be, IMO. Master Thai is something different, and I do not know much about his lines. He inherited Uncle Fester's beans (who happened to be his real uncle).

As for the 'Dutch benchmark breeders', my version is that they leveraged the work done in California and other places. And in California they leveraged the work done over the previous 10,000 years of armies of unknown people growing weed. Not to suck up, but Shanti is a rarity in that he bred White Widow himself, one of the true Dutch breeds. But few hybrids merit long term growing and they fade in time. Its the same with other plant hybrids in the flower industry. People always want new sensations. I collect strains and I think of then as the benchmarks, not the fairly tale stories of who may or may not have bred them. Like who made Bubblegum in Indiana? Who was the Indian that came up with Northern Lights on an island west of Seattle? Or who brought Zac Purple to Big Sur? We all have beans that other people worked long long long before us.

Nice call, so i guess that sam the skunkman that went thru 100K beans to breed Skunk numba 1 ( the story that parents read to their children before bed ) was all fake , bells and whistles.

Sux no jokes i told this story to at least 10 peoples in the past thinking it was true :#

so you keep landrace alive ? wow what a nice hobby my friend, why are mexican and colombian landrace extinct? how can you be so sure since it's illegal there ?

So now that we know cali got Skunk CIRCA sixties or seventies so it must have been there before the netherlands.

then to the second most important question of our great adventure, is Skunk number one a mix between Colombian Gold, Acapulco Gold and Afghani ?

is it those landrace that are exctinct ?

Back