Which strains that may produce lemon aroma phenos?

Anything with skunk in them apparently.

I had a MKxSK pheno that had a slight lemony touch after a decent cure.
NLxSK had more grapefruit but hints of lemon as well.

The one Mango Haze IBL pheno that survived had a hint of lemon as well but I almost smoked it up before it was able to cure for long (not even a month).

My assumption is that it is the Skunk that brings those terps.

Could be wrong though.

Good huntin!

Thanks,
I seen your post on NHS strain.Was it mostly fruity or sweet aromas?
I'll do some reaches to see what terpines give lemon and perhaps narrow strains.

It seems MNS Skunks have a dominant lemon smell, I ran Critical skunk and over half had good lemon aroma. One is pure lemon skunk, she smells like a lemon orgy on a skunk, its pretty great.

I didn't grow NHS yet, have a pack though.

I think the lemony/citrusy terps come from the Sativas used in both the Haze and the Skunk.

Probably the Colombian or the Mexican would be my guess.

Anyway, anything that builds on these should have the potential at least to show citruy terps.

On the widow side of things I cannot confirm but it wouldn't surprise me as I assume the same or similar landrace sativas are part of the mullumbimby madness.

In terms of mostly sweet or fruity aromas: There is always some variety and I am recently suspecting that the personal growers environment, soil mix, nutes etc. play a significant roles in what terps show.

Across 2 grows with wide varieties of strains from various seedbanks, I have noticed that I seem to run into 2 distinct phenos again and again, across multiple strains.
I keep getting that undesirable "camphor" smell that is really unpleasant and stinky but not in a good way.
And then I get this fruity, bubblegummy, lemony, citrusy pheno.
I was really down on myself for not being able to save a clone of the MKS that had this pheno. But the following grow I ran into eerily similar aromas (not 100% the same but very close) in both a World of Seeds Colombian Gold and a Mango Haze IBL.

In between there were other phenos, some grapefruity for example, some super low odor (c99) but these two, camphor and sweet/citrusy keep showing up for me.

I am afraid nobody will be able to give you a sure fire strain that will give you lemon terps 100%. Maybe some feminized strains ...

Otherwise I would suggest to look for strains that include Skunk and Haze as both strains use certain landrace sativas that I believe are what passed on these terps. And both Skunk and Haze have been used in a whole lot of crosses, most of which have a report or another floating around the web where citrusy/lemon terps are mentioned.

After that it is just pheno hunting like everyone else and isolating a lemony specimen.
But I have only flowered about 20 plants so far and I have come across lemony terps several times. It shouldn't be too hard to find what you are looking for.
Finding an excellent specimen with dominating lemon aromas could be harder of course but that's part of the fun isn't it?

Stay frosty and all the best

Last edited:
You are after strains high in limonene, an aromatic Cannabis terpene that has the lemon citrus smell and flavor to it. I would attribute a lot of the early strains with lemon to what is now called by some as Limon Verde, and what we called Colombian Green back in the late 1970s, a land race strain from west coast Colombia, and Verde Limon, a land race strain from southwest Mexico. Lemon terpenes were also common in early Thai stick weed in the 1970s.

Older and more modern strains with lemon terpenes include: Lemon Thai, Lemon Haze, Super Lemon Haze, OG Kush (some of them, there are so many OG Kush strains out there now that are self- back- and re-crossed like Bubba and Larry), Lemon OG Kush (AKA: Presidential Kush), Lemon Diesel, Lemon Drop, and Lemon Skunk (AKA: Las Vegas Lemon Skunk).

In the MNS lines, everything I have grown that had haze in It I have found lemon scents and tastes. That includes critical haze (very common), G13Hz ( its in there 1 in 6girls I grew), and SSH had it (3 out of 9 girls I had). One of the SSH girls has the most intense crushed lemon smell I have ever experienced and it carrys over to the flavour...exceptional. Smashing potency too.
Personally I have not seen it in any of the mns skunk, afghan or Black widow hybrids that I have grown out.
I hope you find what you are looking for...

Thanks,
Looks like Haze is the key.
Would the Afghan hazes crosses be just as likely or try to stay with Haze crosses?

Last edited:
I would agree that haze is the key ingredient. The super hazey 18-week Angel's Breathe F2 I've been enjoying lately has a lot of lemon and pine smell, and the lemon flavor really comes through in a dry toke of a freshly crushed and rolled joint - it tastes like a lemon drop.

A couple people have mentioned lemon thai; are seeds or clones of lemon Thai available anywhere?

I have a ssh pheno I call lemon pledge because it smells like some type of lemon cleaning supply . The lemon smell is predominant with a underbelly of a chemical fuel or cleaning supply Oder . When cured the lemon smell crosses over to the taste and is very smooth for the first twenty minutes can be very heady and if you are drinking heavily can make you sick . But over all very heady at first no paranoia but I’ve been smoking a long time so maybe for some , can also get very focused on what ever you may be doing after about twenty minutes your body feels light with a clear head and energy burst and tappers down to a relaxed body but nothing like couch locked or any thing of that nature but this was the only pheno I found like this out of a whole pack of ssh not saying their is not other good phenos with in a pack , just what I found to be my favorite

Back