Well....this is gonna sound strange :)

n2ishun

No, that's just a fully seeded top so the pistils have retracted, happens when they have been pollinated on some sativas (never seen it on a indica).

Well, I think I've got it nailed down.
Today I was looking at it and took one of the dried up tops that I had been snapping to keep height in check....it was completely dry and brown as can be.
I crumbled it up and took about 10-15 good solid sniffs to get the best possible aroma recognition.
The very first sniff I knew, it was immediately recognizable, further sniffing just confirmed it.
Mexican, circa about 1978-1982.
Smells exactly like that mexican cocoa tablet thingies (abuelita brand) a light bit of pine, and some back end skunkiness.
Remember that really top notch mexican that everyone thought was chocolate thai ?....yea, exactly
All along I was letting myself be fooled by the chlorophyll since I had really only smelled the fresh greens, not dry and brown.
My bad....I guess I really wasn't interested enough to bother with details.
That fully explains the speed rush you get after smoking it, the original mexican had it in spades.

Now that I look at the whole plant it just all makes sense....someone tossed out mexican beans all those years ago and they just took off.
Here's a full plant shot and the same pic zoomed in so you can see detail.
Yep, old school mex.

whole plant.jpgzoom.jpg

You can easily see the browned out branches I've been snapping and leave hang, quite a bunch of them, the thing would be huge if I hadn't.
Don't mind my 'wall of tomato's' in the background, it's great camouflage.

Unfortunately it probably won't finish for me. I'm in the relatively upper midwest and the snow will probably hit late next month or early november....I have a feeling this plant won't be done by then.
Funny the parent plant I got the beans from *seemed* finished when I found it in mid octoberish but that could be because it was fully seeded.
Ah well.

Last edited:

CannaFish

Unfortunately it probably won't finish for me. I'm in the relatively upper midwest and the snow will probably hit late next month or early november....I have a feeling this plant won't be done by then.
Funny the parent plant I got the beans from *seemed* finished when I found it in mid octoberish but that could be because it was fully seeded.
Ah well.
if it wont finish you can always hash it up. I thought they were growing in arizona. Is that where they were sourced?

n2ishun

No, they were sourced here in the upper midwest and I did a johnny appleseed in Az...I have no idea how those ones are faring but will probably be down there in about a month so I'll see then.
Hey I'm an old man and have a right to snowbird if I want to mmmk ? :)
This plant and 1 other will probably put out a hundred or so nice 1-2 foot spears as you can probably tell by that last pic I posted....sorry I have them camo'd so well. but hey, upper midwest, not kosher here.
I'll leave them go as long as I can and take what they give.
It'll be like a blast from the past....wish I could share the smell, it'd knock yer sox off, it really does smell exceptional.

Marcus_in_the_Darkus

Such an interesting thread, it raises some interesting questions. In particular, I'm wondering if this plant or strain may be high in THCP, the newly found cannibinoid that is supposed to be 30x stronger than THC. When news of the discovery of this cannabinoid broke, I immediately thought that might be the secret ingredient for the legendary trip weed. The most memorable high I've ever had was in 1974 or 1975 when my friend scored some "trip weed" and it induced full-on visual hallucinations. That was in the days of stemmy, seedy brick weed. Who knows where it came from. I wonder...

n2ishun

Please, no requests for beans (yep, getting that).
Scott requested that we not share beans directly with each other and I respect that.
I think there was a security issue in the past and that's why he went in that direction, he said to send to him and he would forward them on and I didn't see money involved....dunno particulars!?!
I'll see if Scott would like me to send him an ounce or two of these beans and he can decide then what to do with them (freebies?).
Yea I do have lots, yea I'm not in a friendly state, yea security is at the forefront.
Mus, if you read this can you *maybe* chime in if you know anything that might help keep it phree ?
They were free to me and I'd like to keep it that way but a nice clean secure way would be best.

(edit)
Shanti has been contacted.

Last edited:
Loved reading this thread, very good of you to want to share them n2ishun. Just seeing a super sativa looking plant like that is fantastic it looks like real wild weed.
Hopefully you get to sample it close to finished if the weather holds out.

Bong

Looks nice...bit like the king congo strain. Maybe some african type ? What ever it is it does look quite beautiful. Good find.

Last edited:

longball

"Marcus_in_the_Darkus, The most memorable high I've ever had was in 1974 or 1975 when my friend scored some "trip weed" and it induced full-on visual hallucinations. That was in the days of stemmy, seedy brick weed. Who knows where it came from. I wonder...

About that same time, I scored some 'trip weed'. Never had weed like it before or since. It did remind me of tripping as I was doing LSD once a week back then. I was used to thicker, fuller, chunkier buds and the 'trip weed' bud looked a lot stringier. I just figured it was crap weed spiked with LSD or something. It looked like pictures 1 and 4 in the photo below. Maybe from the Haze Brothers? ;)

Who knows where it came from? I wonder also...but I will never forget that day.

Longball

Pictures 1 and 4 - tripping weed?
Haze Bros article 3.jpg

musashi

Site Moderator
Staff member
... yea I'm not in a friendly state, yea security is at the forefront.
Mus, if you read this can you *maybe* chime in if you know anything that might help keep it phree ?
They were free to me and I'd like to keep it that way but a nice clean secure way would be best...
...Safety first...

So if people wish to still follow up on trading seed or free seed from members to others then I ask you to do it on a different mail address and out of the vicinity of MNS community...
Public forums are well, public. Consider what you say or do here. Though times have changed with many states now being legal, federal still has cannabis scheduled. Assure your own safety first, always. No seeds are worth the price of incarceration, the expense of lawyer fees, possible felony record, loss of job. Take it off line braddahs.

🤙
Mu

n2ishun

What do you guys think of 'Shagadelic' ?
It's certainly shaggy looking and there's this whole 70's vibe about it so it kinda fits....
Any other solid ideas ?

n2ishun

Since I have to take the plant down fairly soon I decided to jump the gun and pull one of the smaller lower branches...for shits and giggles or something...
I ripped all the larger leaves off to shoot this pic and then clipped all the nodules off for the closer pic.
Surprisingly the smell has changed and is the same but much much sweeter.
Like a overly sugared hot cup of cocoa with a smidgeon of cinnamon and a slight skunky pine background.
Yea, makes you wanna take a bite :)
Gettin her sativa foxtail dreadlocks on and frosting up better than I remember the mexican strains being, but I'll admit, it's been more than a few decades since I grew mexican sativas.

branch.jpg
nudge.jpg

Shrimp&Grits

My friend, what a cool project. Did you get to seed any of the wild stuff with modern cultivars? I am cheering for them getting to finish all the way.
I tried Appleseeding a few grams of Spring Cleaning auctions before to no avail.
Good on you.

n2ishun

No I didn't do any crossing at all....yet.
I had no idea on what to expect growing out these beans. It's important to me to know what to expect first so I can have a handle on it.
It's a good thing too as I did expect a large plant but nothing like what these have shown.
I have no doubt at all that they will go 20 foot if given the opportunity.
I did nothing to prep the soil at all, just plopped the beans onto the surface and kinda kicked them into the dirt....seriously, I just smooshed them into the ground.
I did regularly water them but nothing more, no nutes, nothing but well water that I really cannot vouch how good that well water is...dunno, never been tested.
Now I have a feel for how it grows I can kinda let the cat out of the bag as it were.
I'll start a few indoors and get a solid female and take cuts then toss the mother, flower cuts as soon as possible and intentionally let them be rootbound to contain the size.
That's what I'll seed with known pollen as yet unchosen.
I'd love to get a Tom Hill Deep Chunk male for pollen donor but have no beans for that.
I do have a afghani Kandahar landrace indi that might be a good candidate, add some girth and cherry taste/smell and see what happens.
I was planning on a thai or lumbo crossing but the size would get out of hand real quick....I don't have a greenhouse and feel that would be required to go that direction.
I *might* do that later but am unsure how to fully control a 20+ foot beast in my neck of the woods.
Believe it or not I have grown plants that size when I lived about 5 blocks from disneyland way back in the day before anyone knew what weed looked like but no way in hell you can do it in a non legal state these days.
I'm not concerned in the slightest though since I probably have 3-4 ounces of beans....and that's a metric shit ton so I can afford to play around a bit and not worry about any certain plant as being of particular value (that's difficult to phrase, does it make sense ?).

slabsofdank

I just can't see Prohibition lasting much longer. The times have changed. I went into the bank yesterday and a bottle of CBD lotion/sanitizer with a cannabis leaf in clear view for customers to use. That would have never happened even five years ago around here.
1601559160309.jpeg
The biggest concern I have as an outdoor grower is when you have no idea what pollinated a plant. We'll be having so much airborne cannabis pollen included in the pollen count along with ragweed and grasses.

n2ishun

This should be the last pics I post of the old girl.
I have to have a bit of time for her to dry and I want to leave before the serious cold kicks in...so...
Took these pics from the other side so she shows a bit better.
Remember that I have topped this plant *maybe* 6-8 times and for sure the main stalk would have been at least 8 foot taller.
You can see how she's sorta missing the whole center to her and also how branchy she is.

1313.jpg

Attachments