walkabout for life

First I have heard that EQ is used in all WA. I suspect EQ and about every other outdoor strain or old school strain can be found in WA but the late flowering, looks and smells all remind me of haze crosses-- If anything looks to be dominate in WA it would seem to be haze or possibly skunk haze crosses. Only "A" has been harvested but it has been around 13 weeks so will harvest the rest down in one week. Finally seeing some turning on the haze doms, a few are sweling up nicely, some foxtailing, still fairly green though. The dominate smell is becoming that classic haze/sat rubbery/thai smell. Not descriptive I know but many smell like some crazy ass 90s haze crosses I grew. I thought at that time much of this unique smell is via haze or other equatorial strains. Unique smell different from most.

Hi Sysadmin

I think I remember some thing about Early Queen being crossed to Land races for Walkabout .
I`ve grown both . And I did see similarity in the two lines . Possibly FX or Shanti can confirm or deny ?

VEry nice healthy looking plants sysadmin. are you seeing any la nina similarities in them?

I always assumed walkabout is random seeds from late flowering varieties that had fallen out or gotten mixed during collections. Possibly some from plants that are tests or aren't normally for sale

Awesome place to find a cheap keeper without any labels or biases.

yes, I see similarities to LN esp when you look at L33t pics of old (the standard for what I hoped to find in LN I might add). My only LN cut looks different from these LN leaning ones though.

I assume like you, that these WA are seeds that fell to floor or got mixed accidentally. Technically one could claim heritage of thai, mexican, new guinea, etc via the strains they are mixed in. So if true most of these haze leanings are probably sk/hz, NH, mhz, ssh, etc. I had hoped maybe there are some true landraces like Mexicans in there but seems like a lot of segregation and work for very low price so tend to now believe just a mix of many MNS stock.

Having said that the slowest one is the variegated pictured above, and she has the old school mexican look, almost all tight hairy crystally bud with zero leaf or trim to be removed. The classic spear shaped herb, very tall and has a limey/peppery/lemony scent. I am really looking forward to that one.

Last edited:
L33ts thread and photos did alot for la nina. When i saw those pictures, i had to get em.

I like the looks of that slow one too. It looks like some of the others have shorter petioles and broader leaves comparatively.

I have 1 nevilles haze mango that is giving me that same variegation as yours and some slight crinkle/taco leaves. I'm thinking its more genetic than environment.

A few more shots, click on them a couple of time for bigger res....plan to harvest within the week as now at 13-14 weeks

this one is pretty crazy on foxtails, also lots of resin on fan leaves, reminds me of some medicine man or el nino shots of old but also some type of sat

this one is probably biggest yielder, looks like sk/hz cross or similar

I like this tight, super spear bud, reminds me of l33t LN shots

the slowest and tallest, reminds me of columbian or mexican

Last edited:
The more I think about it a mix of existing strains may be correct, leaning to the sativa or haze side of things. It would take keeping mothers and fathers of various other strains to produce seeds for this mix which I doubt would make it possible to be sold at the value price that they are. Maybe I’m wrong.

Those last bud shots are great, can’t wait for a smoke report. Maybe then you can determine what some of them are with any past experience of similar strains. I’m going to put a few outdoors to see how they do, my only concern is how long it will take them to start flowering as it looks like you’re seeing flowering times in the 12-14 week range.

Last edited:
hey BH

Actually I had my dates wrong, looks like it has been around 10 week flower, so "A" finished around 8 weeks, most others will be 11+ as will take them in one week or so but some could easily go 12 weeks if left alone.

From clone or a seedling with longer normal outdoor veg should be a bit faster though. Biggest unknown is when sat doms would start flowering, in northerly latitudes many are not triggered by light until august, so a real push to beat the killing frosts of late october/early november.

I have harvested all except the tall, mexican type which is still flowering. A few bud shots but still could cure out another 4+- weeks for optimal tokage.

I can make the overall general observations on how these smoke

1)smoke is a bit harsh, assume b/c many plants had lots of leaf growth, resinous leaf growth but still a bit more than I normally select for. Curing will help and I have had a cold so also makes it a bit harsh. Had a few hack attacks post smoke which always seems to ramp the highs up!

2)flavor is similar across phenos relative to earthiness and this underlying odd taste. specific phenos have taste ranging from paint thinner to rotten funk/carrion to more typical skunk, one a bit sweet. Overall though not much stands on so far on taste but the final one still flowering looks like my kind of plant.

3)highs are mixed but nothing earth shattering yet, seems to produce a fair amount of appetite stimulation. The herb still needs to cure better so I have generally only taken one toke, then finish with one of my old reliable phenos which are nicely cured. A few shots below of what I have tried.

They actually look really good. Great skills.

I can well believe these are a selection of sativas all hit with Early Queen pollen to produce an outdoor adventure pack. In fact, it is what I do believe.

I always find outdoor plants need a much longer cure so I admire your patience!

Good luck with that last girl.

Hey grey man

Yes, when mary mary first made that suggestion I was skeptical that shanti would dedicate space/parents specifically to WA. But the idea may have some merit but again some mystery seems to surround WA for some reason. After researching EG, EP, EQ I did see some things in those grow experiences that do seem similar. Mainly the odd taste I can get across all phenos and the, well lets just say it, the lack of potency of the WA girls.

Still letting them cure but just not the type taste of high I am after. Still smokes a bit harsh and find myself passing it over for other faves. Did harvest the tallest last night so should have that one to test soon. Otherwise the WA is perfectly fine for toking but a bit mellow on the high. I did give half the harvest as well as cuts of all starts to somebody else to experiment with. The plan is to hopefully see the WA in outdoor setting later this summer.

So except for the tall one I dont plan to run any of these again but open to trying some more starts from seed. A bit disappoingting to realize all WA may be EQ influenced but bound to be one of two keepers in that cleaning straw!

best

The EQ hypothesis is interesting, where is this information coming from. I grew Early Haze outdoors (EQ x AfgHz) and they were very sturdy plants and I assumed this was due to the EQ influence. I mean they were some strong featured plants, robust stems and a sturdy structure. We never had any really bad storms or high winds but I would put money on those plants weathering anything thrown at them. Did you see this kind of plant with the Walkabouts sysadmin? I knew you grew them indoors but I would think you would notice a sturdier structure, mine (Early Haze) were the sturdiest plants I’ve grown. I have a few Walkabouts that I’m hoping to get out, a little late but if I do it will be interesting to see if they have any similarities to EH.

Last edited:
Check the hangin with the Queens thread .

There are similarities with EQ and some phenos of Walk bout . Leaf shape , colour .
I`ve grown both and I got a vibe . Then I saw a post here saying they PM`d Shanti and were told EQ is in the mix .

So ...

thanks mary for your input. It does seem a bit vague but that statement could be taken as simply eq is found in the mix along with other strains or as you and gm believe eq is a parent. There is an odd fragrance / perfume / lavender scent that seem to underly most of the phenos this time around. Supposedly eq variants have a unique smell but not sure what exactly it is.

BH these WA were all pretty hardy, many had multiple white bumps are base on thick stalks (and all rooted easily) which to me is sign of robust aggressive strain. Also had a fair bit of leaf growth on buds except for one below.

Anyhow here is the tall, mexican leaning pheno. It went about 12-13 weeks and has a very sat dom structure. That odd smell is there but much more subdued. The taste has the paint thinner crossed with underlying funk, not really pleasant, a faint bit of skunk. The herb burns like a sat dom, hisses and pops as calyxes heat and does not have the leafy harshness of some other phenos. The high is very interesting, it made my mind start turning but not in a bad way. Problem solver weed but also up and motivator. I cleaned the house for several hours on this herb, all while thoughts spun, turned and rotated in my head just thinking various things out. I had somebody else toke some and they say it gave them an "existential" high and they preferred my other strains. Different folks I guess but will def run this one again.

Yeah, I remember the Queens thread, I read it prior to getting the EH. I still don’t know why a mix would be made with EQ as a parent unless it was to take a bunch of existing long flowering strains and try to make them more manageable. But that would be a lot of doing to be offered as a value pack.

I did get quite a few fragrance/floral/fruity types with the EH, I attributed that to the Afghan…maybe some of it was coming from the EQ. I also found a woodsy/spicy one which I kept. Wasn’t the most potent but was a good social smoke.

If I get some females with the few Walkabouts I have, I would think there would be some similarities if EQ is a parent.

I take high over flavor if the high is good, seems like many sat doms strains have a similar terpenes ala earthy, funky, rotten, solventy taste that I get from both this one and moreso in my LN cut. Not the catpiss smells that I found in some 90s haze crosses, but similar.

Have been toking this one all day and must say it has the elevator effect and you seem to be able to get higher as more is smoked. Some visual trippy weed with a head angle probably not the best social weed but great for introverts who like trippy highs.

Why would you run it again if you don't like the flavour?

I take high over flavor if the high is good

I know what you mean. It doesn't matter how tasty a bud is...if it just puts me to sleep then I don't want to know. (DnA's Cannadential to a tee - AMAZING flava but just sooooo STRONG.)

Having said that, a combination of great high + great flava = Great Keeper!! (that is Mango Haze - such a nice high, such a great flavour)

hello all

Popped some more of these seeds a few weeks ago even though I ended up not re-running any of the first round. So far these WA seem similar to the first round, maybe a few more squats vs sativas. Only about 4 weeks into flower so will see if anything of note. One thing similar to last round is these WA seem to have a weird variegation/leaf curl that only exhibits on certain leaves. I have noticed it across many of the WA plants though

wac.jpg

wad.jpg

wab.jpg

waa.jpg

The latest WA are coming along nicely, and look similar to the previous batch. Too early to tell yet if anything special but looking healthy for sure.

sitn.jpg

nhrutytt.jpg

eskijju.jpg

9943222.jpg

888585.jpg

latest WA are filling in nicely, some real beasts in this batch, one is nothing but pistils but so thick. Otherwise some indy doms this time around, they should be finished sooner than later. One is probably a week out, has a skunk smell and profile.

IMG_7847.JPG

IMG_78451.JPG

IMG_78461.JPG

IMG_7843.JPG

IMG_7842.JPG

IMG_7841.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG

Back