true or wifes tale??

stickybud

Years ago in New Zealand people use to tell of pulling the hole plant, root systeem included. The roots would be put in boiling water to shock the plant, thus pushing more thc into the buds. Then you would hang the hole plant. So when i first saw people cutting the buds off i went WTF. So any thought on this Kiwi story??

Years ago in New Zealand people use to tell of pulling the hole plant, root systeem included. The roots would be put in boiling water to shock the plant, thus pushing more thc into the buds. Then you would hang the hole plant. So when i first saw people cutting the buds off i went WTF. So any thought on this Kiwi story??

Drying whole plants sounds valid. Boiling the roots to push more thc sounds like a wives tale. If anything, the roots would uptake water prolonging drying, which could have a benefit.

Scrubdog, another Kiwi, talks about it:

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/8-after-harvest/10601-article-about-curing.html#post191039

Hmmmm.

I actually prefer traditional curing methods. These methods have taken hundreds of years to get right and I'm sure if slow drying buds in jars etc was a better method then traditional growers would have worked that out a long time ago.

Most traditional methods are based on the theory that the whole plant continues to mature after harvesting. The two main traditional methods involve breaking or splitting the plant stem at harvest then leaving it for another 2-4 weeks to ripen in the ground in full sun. When done right this produces a massive color change (usually yellow as in Colombian Gold) and incredibly stinky smelling buds. The plants are left to almost fully dry in the ground.

The other traditional method involves pulling out the whole plant (roots and all) and hanging in a dark place upside down. Some growers also boil the roots though I'm not sure what this is meant to do. Some traditional growers (eg some Moroccan and Afghan growers) hang the whole plant upside down in full sun rather than in a dark room but this is more geared towards hash production.

In both methods the idea is for the plant to die as slowly as possible and it is usually done under warm conditions rather than cool. The warmth seems to make the buds way stickier and smellier than when done in a cool environment.

When done properly the plant dries from the roots down with the buds drying last of all.

Of course it's not always practical to dry the whole plant and I regularly oven dry buds and smoke them immediately straight from the plant as well as the other methods already described here. I'm not really as fussy as most people seem to be but if I have the opportunity then I will cure the whole plant properly.

Out of interest, some African tribes simply build a fire and then throw freshly picked undried cannabis on the fire and inhale the smoke using bamboo tubes.

scrubdog

have heard strange stories of using ice water the last watering, the clown claims it as shock ripening, i figure thats another way of saying im in a hurry so i want to stress my plant so it dies within days instead of waiting 2 weeks to do a proper flush and have the plant mature/finish as naturally as possible

nothing more than what we call 'hippie lore'. like when they tell you to freeze banana peels and smoke them. Funny that these false leads still exist. That ice water bit is nonsense too( I believe the clown you refer to works for greenhouse seeds, bro). Cut the plant down, but don't hang with the roots in tact unless you want dirt to dry and fall onto your sticky buds. I cut each branch, hang in a cool, dark area until they get to a jar-able dryness. Then, breathe them by opening containers for 15 to 30 min a day for a couple weeks. Then just keep sealed until you are ready to smoke them. Light and heat degrade cannabinoids once the plant is harvested. You should have a dry room around 70f. Hope this helps. CC

Hi All,

In my attempts to get an indica to grow here at sea level near the equator I have gotten some delightful mini-plants which when harvested, roots and all, are perfect for a vase where they drink only h2o and live for a couple weeks. They plump up and look lovely with a nice aroma but never noticed any difference in anything when they are finally consumed.

I am tempted to try putting food coloring in the vase water to see if the plants change color like carnations do. I have always wondered if hash oil or nice smelling essence in the vase would affect potency or odor?

Wondering in S.E.A., P77

I would be more interested in using lemon juice or orange juice. I wonder if done for a week or so if it would effect taste.

I would be more interested in using lemon juice or orange juice. I wonder if done for a week or so if it would effect taste.

would effect the ph of the growing medium, so if you try it be careful to adjust accordingly, knowing growers who use lemon to adjust their ph yet grow strains with no lemon traits im doubtful

doesnt cannabis/roots only break down and use what it needs anyway ? like using food colouring wont work ? ive seen people water with koolaid crystals in the water trying to change or add colour with no success

I tried adding natural blue food coloring (blueberry extract), a whole bottle. No difference in color or taste from the same that wasn't fed the blue shit. So I'm thinking that it isn't like the carnation trick. That is putting a cut stem into a liquid which goes into the plant's vessels and flowers.

I got a cut of nl5 back in 99.
I grew it a couple times, but got tired of it.
kind of boring taste, but nice resin and dense orange buds.

so on the last crop of it I tried using juicy juice concentrate, cause it 100% juice.
that crop the nl5 tasted much sweeter and much better, if it tasted like that everytime I would have kept it.
so take it for what its worth, I do believe flavors can be affected by feeding them things.
I put the juice in the reservoir during the first week of the flush, and then back to plain water for the second week.

I got a cut of nl5 back in 99.
I grew it a couple times, but got tired of it.
kind of boring taste, but nice resin and dense orange buds.

so on the last crop of it I tried using juicy juice concentrate, cause it 100% juice.
that crop the nl5 tasted much sweeter and much better, if it tasted like that everytime I would have kept it.
so take it for what its worth, I do believe flavors can be affected by feeding them things.
I put the juice in the reservoir during the first week of the flush, and then back to plain water for the second week.

You flushed your NL5 bud with orange juice? That's WAY OUT THERE (and cool) - I wonder if you could flush it with beer or even Red Bull and Vodka? It would taste like a Friday night in the 90s.

Bloody kiwi's aye) - I reside in kiwi land and although ive never seen any growers try this method using marijuana I do know of another plant species this was indeed used for,

The plant in question is the Poppy plant, paver blah blah opiate poppy)
The whole point of pulling the plants without breaking any tap roots and into a bath tub of hot water was so the bleeding process would bleed a whole lot more or push it up to the crowns poppy growers or stealers would slit right off and catch the white/pinky milk later dried out and cooked with A/acid turning it into a herion type product, or closer to it, same process is used on morphine pills in this country the land of the long white cloud, or rather green cloud) ha'

In my early growing days using hydroponic's I tried a few silly things such as adding Benzodiazipines in the water like Diazapam & klonipin known as clonazepam, the plants may have got high wasted but by the end of the drying out stage it made no difference, the things we do I no, I no.

In my early growing days using hydroponic's I tried a few silly things such as adding Benzodiazipines in the water like Diazapam & klonipin known as clonazepam, the plants may have got high wasted but by the end of the drying out stage it made no difference, the things we do I no, I no.

what was your intention in doing this? greater high?

Clarification

Just to clarify things because I was around at the time. First up it's not a kiwi thing. The original instructions for this procedure came out in a magazine called The Whole Earth Catalogue which was American hippy published from memory.

Before you dismiss it out of hand I should point out that The Whole Earth catalogue was the first... and only... (until very recently) publication that gave details instructions on grafting cannabis plants and extracting colchicine from Crocus plants to produce tetraploid cannabis plants. This is way back in the sixties.

The Whole Earth Catalogue was well respected and keenly sought after. I don't know about boiling the roots but I still think hanging the whole plant is the way to go if it can be done safely.

scrubdog

Going to like it here, some of you know your shit. And if you grew pot in the port hills in the 80s. You didn't hide it very well, but it was nice. Bloody teenagers back then.

Just to clarify things because I was around at the time. First up it's not a kiwi thing. The original instructions for this procedure came out in a magazine called The Whole Earth Catalogue which was American hippy published from memory.

Before you dismiss it out of hand I should point out that The Whole Earth catalogue was the first... and only... (until very recently) publication that gave details instructions on grafting cannabis plants and extracting colchicine from Crocus plants to produce tetraploid cannabis plants. This is way back in the sixties.

The Whole Earth Catalogue was well respected and keenly sought after. I don't know about boiling the roots but I still think hanging the whole plant is the way to go if it can be done safely.

scrubdog

The only thing I would point out is that I'd very much like to see some good logic/reasoning (at least, if not evidence which is pretty hard to get).

Particularly because both grafting and use of colchicine are valid but of course have their foundation in other areas; grafting has been used on every cultivated plant under the sun for centuries and the actions of colchicine are the subject of fairly extensive study.

In general though I agree with you it's worth further investigation, but it would really depend on identifying the underlying reactions going on because of boiling roots.

There are some folk-techniques with cannabis that are based on centuries of experience and happen to have underlying scientific processes that support this experience, but there's likewise long traditions that appear to have nothing more than a psychological effect on the grower. For instance in Nepal it is considered advantageous to split the main stem of the plant and insert a severed cobra's head in the split.

While the plant is alive I would assume such massive trauma as boiling (and thereby cooking and killing?) the roots would indeed cause the plant to go into shock. There is a junk-logic conclusion that stress creates more THC - I say junk-logic because as far as I'm aware (I hope I'm wrong, I want more THC) stressing doesn't increase THC.

I've got a mate who reckons water-stressing increases THC, never seen any conclusive evidence that shock does anything helpful, in fact I try to harvest as quickly and gently as I can.

You flushed your NL5 bud with orange juice? That's WAY OUT THERE (and cool) - I wonder if you could flush it with beer or even Red Bull and Vodka? It would taste like a Friday night in the 90s.

Haha! That's funny! You forgot the Zima, LOL!

what was your intention in doing this? greater high?

yea trying to make something different really, trying to make another calio orange high, or closer to it, this plants high was very similar to diazepam and could make another appearance in future breeding programmes I hear, hope so,

one of the best things ive ever fed a sick plant was soda water or co'2 water like used for soft drinks, direct co'2 to the roots yea.

Going to like it here, some of you know your shit. And if you grew pot in the port hills in the 80s. You didn't hide it very well, but it was nice. Bloody teenagers back then.

I was living over port hills a couple of years back, no plans on any returns either, earthquake ridden now days, in the mid 80's we grew closer to Akaroa which is about a 1hour drive from port hills, close to the sea also and that meant we could get another month bloom time in as no frosts near the sea, still cold though and some of our nz bush sativa or skunk/1 looking plants would turn completely purple and die, purple stalks etc, still good shit as we got there on time I recall, mid july is early winter in NZ.

b.

Back