Tripod plants?

Yosemite Sam

Hi guys,
I just popped a couple of beans and one of the seedlings that came out has a triple leaf set...
Thought i'd share some pics of this one...
It's a nev haze.

yosemite-sam-albums-random-picture5353-tripod-nvhz.jpg

The one front right
yosemite-sam-albums-random-picture5355-seedlings.jpg

yosemite-sam-albums-random-picture5354-tripod-nvhz.jpg

Maybe it holds some special genetics that makes one much higher then the average NevHz....:D
Can't wait to sex it and give it a go.

Oh i almost forgot,... this one is also a beauty

Mango Haze with giant leafs
yosemite-sam-albums-random-picture5357-mango-haze.jpg

yosemite-sam-albums-random-picture5358-mango-haze.jpg

Nice no?

YS

Sorry MJ, not trying to be an arse here, but triploid may or maynot be the correct term for that plant. There is no way of knowing without doing a lab test on it. Haploid refers to a single set of chromosomes, diploid refers to the normal state of 2 sets of chromosomes, and triploid refers to a state of having 3 sets. The 3 leaves per node thing may or may not be a triploid, but simply having 3 leaves is no guarantee of that. There is some debate still about how to refer to these things, personally I always use the term trifoliar (3 leaves). It would seem that the trait is linked to a higher than normal rate of auxin production coupled with an additional gene for the production of leaves.

wholed politaxl? is the corerct term for a trifolate plant

tripliods can only be made crossing a polyploid to a diploid.

You could take a normal plant hit it with a mutagen, then take the polyploid seedlings and backcross to a diploid parent for a triploid offspring.

Sorry MJ, not trying to be an arse here, but triploid may or maynot be the correct term for that plant. There is no way of knowing without doing a lab test on it. Haploid refers to a single set of chromosomes, diploid refers to the normal state of 2 sets of chromosomes, and triploid refers to a state of having 3 sets. The 3 leaves per node thing may or may not be a triploid, but simply having 3 leaves is no guarantee of that. There is some debate still about how to refer to these things, personally I always use the term trifoliar (3 leaves). It would seem that the trait is linked to a higher than normal rate of auxin production coupled with an additional gene for the production of leaves.

My bad... Thanks for the correction and I'll try to remember this. ;)

You could take a normal plant hit it with a mutagen, then take the polyploid seedlings and backcross to a diploid parent for a triploid offspring.

"Whorled Phyllotaxy" I believe is what you were trying to type. We wanna end the "politaxi" due to the oppression it causes. LMAO JK

While its true that the term Whorled Phyllotaxy can be used to describe these plants, its also confusing. For instance that term can be used to describe trifoliars, quadrafoliars and pentafoliars, and there'd be no way of knowing which you were talking about. Simply using the number within the name however allows instant knowledge of what it is that were discussing.
Yes triploids can be created by crossing a tetraploid to a diploid, however that isn't the only method by which they occur. In 0.5% of cases, (1 in 200), the diploid cells don't split into haploids at the point of meiosis, and a diploid is combined with the haploid of the other parent, creating a triploid. In mamals this results in a miscarraige, in plants however this is not the case. In 0.25% of cases, (1 in 400 seeds), a diploid sex cell will meet a diploid sex cell, and create a tetraploid. These plants are reported to be much healthier and more vigorous than diploid plants, but by looking at them with the naked eye, you wouldn't be able to tell if they were diploid, triploids or tetraploids.
Trifoliar
gmt-albums-3-s-2d-picture4076-p1010128.jpg

Quadrafoliar
gmt-albums-4-s-picture4077-p1010125.jpg

Pentafoliar
gmt-albums-5-s-picture4330-p1010151.jpg

all can be refered to as carrying the Whorled Phyllotaxy trait.

polyploids have to do with chromosome number not leaft count.

polyploids have to do with chromosome number not leaft count.

yeah, hi coop, that's the point i made in my first post in this thread. The pics are for the purpose of discussing the problem you have with the term trifoliar. I also included a quick explanation on other ways triploids and tetraploids are formed. I had hoped that the post would explain itself, I guess I was wrong.
It's my belief that all of the above pics are from diploid plants.

Last edited:
yes i understand

but triplods are not found that in nature to often,

Polyploids yes, but to get triploids you need to breed for them.

well a polyploid is a member of a species which has had its chromosomes doubled from the normal state. Therefore with cannabis, a polyploid would normally have 4 sets. Which would make it a tetraploid. These occur in nature only half as often as a triploid would, but are quicker to create in a lab as that only requires one generation where as a triploid in that setting would require 2 generations.
For cannabis, yes you are absolutely correct that triploids are rare in nature. There are plenty of other species of plant for whom the state is the normal though. For those species of course a polyploid would posses 6 sets of chromosomes.

Anyways, neat plants, to say the least.

I've never seen a pentaploid before seeing that pic GMT. Thanks for it and the insights you've provided about "polyploid" plants.

I think that they may very well increase overall yields but I cant say for sure about any other aspect of the plant. Time will tell.

well a polyploid is a member of a species which has had its chromosomes doubled from the normal state. Therefore with cannabis, a polyploid would normally have 4 sets. Which would make it a tetraploid. These occur in nature only half as often as a triploid would, but are quicker to create in a lab as that only requires one generation where as a triploid in that setting would require 2 generations.
For cannabis, yes you are absolutely correct that triploids are rare in nature. There are plenty of other species of plant for whom the state is the normal though. For those species of course a polyploid would posses 6 sets of chromosomes.

most triploids are only able to reproduce asexually.
Fruit trees, seedless watermelons etc.

as far as i know cannabis is a diploid but has an autoploid sex chromosome which would explain the intersex traits of the plant .

I don't want to get this thread to far off topic,
Polyploid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Triploid Watermelon Production

Attachments

• white russian male quadrafoliar.jpg
    white russian male quadrafoliar.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 2
  • white russian male quadrafoliar1.jpg
    white russian male quadrafoliar1.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 4
  • white russian male quadrafoliar2.jpg
    white russian male quadrafoliar2.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
tripod plants

Tripods can be formal, made to a Classic design, or they can be made from more natural-looking rustic poles. The former are better where they are still partly on show when the climber is in full growth. The latter, in spite of their informal charm, are more suitable for carrying heavy, rampant climbers that will eventually cover them completely. More formal designs can be bought complete, ready to be installed in the garden, but for a more satisfying result, try making one for yourself. A rustic-pole tripod is much more basic, and can easily be constructed by most gardeners.

Are you referring to a plant with three sets of branches or that have a extra leaf when sprouting?
They were all from fem seed packs so that might help support asexual theory or has it been proven?

Back