The Secret of the 2 inch Bonsai Mother: A Pictoral Guide

Gonna be tackling some of Chimera's Highland MexicanXBluberry this winter. This is really going to come in handy so I'm not drowning in a mini jungle. Thank you.

I want to share my 2 or 3 month old bonsai mothers
Dinafem Seeds: Blue Widow (feminized)
Mothers.JPG

They were root pruned once, and topped. When I topped them next time, I will get cuttings. And a root pruning session knocks at my door :)
I think one of them is getting rootbound again:
Rootbound.JPG

Glad I found this when I did - was rather confused how I will manage my girls.

Least I have been pointed in the right direction, now to get building a grow box to tend to this.

Epic!

Another great read is Josh's "Bonsai Sultan Method" - 8 pages long

And another great read is "Bonsai Mums" by Oldtimer1 - lots of great info and pictures.
https://overgrow.com/t/bonsai-mums-by-oldtimer1/1433
00eec4bd44c27876bcf3927aab9a2822e4de9eef_2_690x445.jpg

Longball

Here is a pic of my mother plants, they are ready to give cuttings for the new season.
This is a simple wooden box that I made and painted it white with water based paint.

I have two 14W LEDS (4000K) and one 15W CFL (2700K) as lumination (this is low power consumption but very effective to keep mom's over the winter)
I set the timer 15h on to keep them in vegative state when they are in their 0,5L pots.

They get Alga Grow as feeding and I cut the roots back 2x in the winter period and add fresh soil as explained in this thread.
They receive haircuts as often as needed, always have 2 mom's of a strain.
Once I want cuttings, I prune the roots a last time and put them in 3L pots with fresh soil and put the timer 18h on.
After 2 weeks I can take 6-8 cuts of each mom. After that I cull the moms and keep the box to root the cuts.
As adviced by Shanti I always keep a cut of each mom and put these outside in the sun during summer to rejuvenate and to make cuttings for new moms to keep in the winter period.

Air flow in the box is passive, there is an opening at the base and at the top. No fans.

This is a simple, cost effective method for the hobby grower to keep genetics alive. I do this for over a decade now.

In the picture you can see 2 SSH mom's on the left and right back is Skywalker Haze and right front is Western Winds.
They were transplanted 11 days ago in 3L pots, cuts will be made over the weekend.

Hope it helps somebody! Feel free to ask questions.

MomsNice.JPG

Greetings.

Last edited:
Hereā€™s my little beastie. Little bit of light leaks but oh well. Very over populated at the moment. Iā€™ve kept plants going for a long time in this! Just little clones they get changed over when they get too big maybe every 6 months. I donā€™t trim roots I just cut the plants back hard when they need it. Summer they go out like Shanti recommends.
474CAF8A-CF54-4CBC-A6B5-8D151BEF659D.jpegFCF64C8A-1348-493E-9FC8-CC8C6E6E15E2.jpeg04C19D0A-4108-4C1F-8E98-B39096E3AE48.jpeg

Back