The Hempy Bucket

Some better pictures I hope of Sensi Star in the Hempy Buckets.
sensi_22.jpg

Sensi_Star8.jpg

Some G's
G_s.jpg

Lemme chime in:
First, hempy, you're right an airstone is a downgrade ;).
Second, enjoy (no airstone used here, but the hose mentioned earlier in peeing action)

Attachments

• DSCI2933.jpg
    DSCI2933.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCI2935.jpg
    DSCI2935.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCI2651.jpg
    DSCI2651.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 88
JessE & Scorpion, thanks so much for your replys.
I love growing pot, I do not grow for profit, just personal use.
Growing pot and having a vegetable garden are my hobbies.

So far as my grow room, it's setup nicely, kept clean, and
moves about 750cfm. I do periodically clean the room with bleach.

Temps are kept at about 77 when not using co2. The hole is pencil sized.
The bucket is about a 3 gallon size.

My first attempt I used a femenized mazar, when it died, I used a lowrider, in case it died, I wouldnt care so much. (the lowriders were freebies)
Both were grown from seed.

I will re-check my ph again, but its been usually about 6.3, its well water.
Peace

Hey video,
Interesting problem, when Ive had problems like that which were pretty much a mystery as to what could have happened Ive completely dismantled my grow area's and cleaned them with bleach and water like my life depended on it. I would then buy fresh perlite and vermiculte, make sure my buckets are super sterile as well and basically start over from the beginning. This has only happened to me once, and after starting all over with a spick and span area things improved drastically. None of this is rocket science, its really not. Its about as straight forward and simple as growing gets. Theres no secretys or hidden techniques. Just takes time to get an understanding of whats going on, and the rest is pie from there baby.
Sounds like your temps are in check for the most part, so you may want to try to cover all bases mate. A good clean sterile environement would be the first step I took to make sure no mysterious problems showed up. Make sure you're using a real hydroponic nutrient, not some like like Sams Choice or Miracle Grow. Ive seen the hempy buckets perform pretty miserably when not using true hydro nuts like Canna, GH flora etc.

Hope you get it solved brother.

Hempy Bucket Questions

Looking good there Jesse,that plant has got a beautiful structure lets hope it,s the Pheno your after.
I have also have few questions about the Hempy buckets since your using them Jesse and i hope you don,t mid me asking.
ok here goes
i have ran a couple of the buckets last year with a decent outcome but could have done a lot better in the deficiencey department.

I would like to ask/know,what your feeding schedules are ?
and at what rate/strenghts/and nutrients you use for your setup Jesse.
Does a certain nutrient do better than others?.
Could i use a drip ring from my waterfarms instead of hand watering? or does this defeat the purpose of the buckets simplicity?
Do you feed/water more than once a day or every couple of days at half strenghts or full strenght solutions?.
I was planning on using GH 3 Part,but have now been considering using the Metrop 5 part as it seems to be the only Nutrient i use without encountering any def problems whatsoever.
I have done a comparison with the Metrop nutrients against Amsterdam indoors and GH one part grow and bloom.
The plants being fed on those nutes all show defs about 2,3 weeks into flower where as using the metrop they show none.
I have also gotten good results using AN Iguana Juice at the revised rate per litre,but the rest seem to lack one thing or another and become a real struggle to keep the plants needs balanced.
Sorry for interupting the thread with questions,but it would at least get me a step closer to getting them running abit smoother without the defs this time ,and get the plants running better all round as i thought i would never run them again.
And agian sorry for the questions and hope they make sense, but is greatly appreciated Jesse Thanks,Hashish

Looking good there Jesse,that plant has got a beautiful structure lets hope it,s the Pheno your after.
I have also have few questions about the Hempy buckets since your using them Jesse and i hope you don,t mid me asking.
ok here goes
i have ran a couple of the buckets last year with a decent outcome but could have done a lot better in the deficiencey department.

I would like to ask/know,what your feeding schedules are ?
and at what rate/strenghts/and nutrients you use for your setup Jesse.
Does a certain nutrient do better than others?.
Could i use a drip ring from my waterfarms instead of hand watering? or does this defeat the purpose of the buckets simplicity?
Do you feed/water more than once a day or every couple of days at half strenghts or full strenght solutions?.
I was planning on using GH 3 Part,but have now been considering using the Metrop 5 part as it seems to be the only Nutrient i use without encountering any def problems whatsoever.
I have done a comparison with the Metrop nutrients against Amsterdam indoors and GH one part grow and bloom.
The plants being fed on those nutes all show defs about 2,3 weeks into flower where as using the metrop they show none.
I have also gotten good results using AN Iguana Juice at the revised rate per litre,but the rest seem to lack one thing or another and become a real struggle to keep the plants needs balanced.
Sorry for interupting the thread with questions,but it would at least get me a step closer to getting them running abit smoother without the defs this time ,and get the plants running better all round as i thought i would never run them again.
And agian sorry for the questions and hope they make sense, but is greatly appreciated Jesse Thanks,Hashish

Hey Hashish,
Thanks man. I think she should be good reguardless of phenotype, but Im definitely looking for a specific pheno. As for my feeding schedule, I mixed my nutrients exactly according to the directions on the bottle. I use GH Flora 3 part series, but other nutrients would work fine as well. I feed the plants every day to ever other day. I basically just feed them enough as that they start to run off a bit than thats a enough usually. I bet certain nutrients do better than others, and there are probably better nutrient producers then GH........but I just stick with what I know works to be honest. I may switch up the nutrients one of these days. But no real special formulas, according to the period the plant is in during its life cycle I just mix up the nutrients per directions. For example right now, my plants are flowering and I just completed a week of the transition phase listed on the bottle. So I just fed them this morning with a 3 tlbs bloom, 2 tlbs(tablespoon) micro hardwater and 1 tlbs grow. I will continue this schedule throughout the rest of the plants life before I flush them.
I just repotted some Mango Widows, hopefully I wont encounter any serious issues with these plants. Im eyeing a Gskunk I believe may infact be a male, but only time will tell the ultimate tale.

Take care Hashish, feel free to ask anymore questions. The hempy bucket isnt really my system, so hempy is really the guy to ask. I just do what the man told me to do.

Oh, about the water farm drip ring..........I dont know much about them to be honest. I personally wouldnt use them, as I dont mind how I do things now but thats not to say it couldnt work. As long as the nutrients get to the bucket in a sufficient rate, you should be fine.

Jesse,good looking grows man...you now have me really interested in the hempy style grow. I'm currently growing in a 9-site bubbler and the only problem that I run into is the mix of plants that I grow require different nute levels so while some starve,others over-feed.

With the hempy buckets,I can feed according to the strain that I'm growing and actually flush one whilst others continue to take in bloom ferts.

One question,do you think it would be beneficial at all to add just a bit of guano or castings to the 3:1 mix or would that just be overkill? are thses buckets really as easy as they seem?

Thanks for any info.

Hey uberhausen,
Yes the buckets are every bit as easy they seem. You basically put a plant in the perlite/vermiculite mix(3:1) and feed from the top down once a day. Early in the life cycle you dont have to give them much nutes, so a gallon can last you 3-5 days usually.
I wouldnt recommend adding guano to the mix, however in the case of worm castings while thats probably over kill, im sure it wouldnt hurt anything. Then again, I could be completely wrong. Questions probably both best answered by hempy, but my overall feeling is you dont need the castings or guano. There are organic hydro formulas out there, Ive been eyeing them in a magazine I have for awhile now. But in general, just stick to hempys basic idea and you're rocking and rolling to be honest. Just a bucket, with a drain hole 2 inches from the bottom of the bucket. Pretty straight forward really. Place your seedlings or clones in the center of the bucket. You can bury them, which I do or just set them straight on top and feed per directions on the bottle once a day. I basically feed them until I see some run off, then I stop. Nothing more less really. Its definitely very simple, and effective. I had numerous issues growing indoors until hempy convinced me to give his buckets a run. That was 5 years ago now I believe.

Thanks Jesse

Hey Jesse no problem man and thanks for the reply and explanation.
I tried to reply to your post a few times but my Acronis OS starting messing about with the computer so sorry for the delay with a reply.
Well you,ve convinced me enough Jesse to try these again,maybe not as soon as i would like to, but there definitley on.
I,m gonna use Hydrocorn instead of the perlite,and try out a set of nutes called GenX made by Grotek,they are for hydro and soil growing so they should do ok for this,it,s just a three part Grow,Micro,bloom,and just take it from there and see if i can keep them green and ontrack,as the last time really knocked the heart outta me as the two in the buckets got a really bad zinc def,and just could,nt get them to recover no matter whatever i tried,my pH was stable and everything else in the room was doing great so it became abit of a mystery too be honest.
I got a good enough yield but i know they could have done alot better,in the meantime i will just hand water for the smplicity of the bucket,and give the drip rings a miss.Thanks again jesse for taking the time to reply to my quetions.Stay safe.Hashish

Hey everyone,
Due to some questions and maybe some slight confusion about how the Hempy Buckets actually work, lets take a look at the steps involved.
So picture 1 here is of your rooted clones, they could be from seed if you choose as well.
Picture 2 is a small idea of what we will be working with for the time being. The clones, perlite and vermiculite.

Attachments

• Hempy1.jpg
    Hempy1.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 83
  • hempy2.jpg
    hempy2.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Okay, so here we are. Pictures 1, 2 and 3 are the first steps in making a hempy bucket. We have the perlite, vermiculite and the bucket.

Attachments

• hempy3.jpg
    hempy3.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 626
  • hempy4.jpg
    hempy4.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 13
  • hempy5.jpg
    hempy5.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 27
Ok so in this picture, open the bag of perlite and spray it down with water. This will eliminate harmful dust from the dry perlite.

Attachments

• hempy6.jpg
    hempy6.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 20
So its time to add the perlite to the bucket. We are going to add 3 cups of perlite, for every one cup of vermiculite.

Attachments

• hempy7.jpg
    hempy7.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Okay so we have 3 cups of perlite in the bucket. Now time to add the 1 cup of vermiculite. Dont forget to mix the two mediums together.

Attachments

• hempy8.jpg
    hempy8.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
So now repeat the above process's of 3 cups perlite for every 1 cup of vermiculite. Fill the bucket as far as you can get it. Your bucket should now look something like this.

Attachments

• hempy 9.jpg
    hempy 9.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Ok now time to poke a hole, 2 inches from the bottom of the bucket. The bucket should now look like this.

Attachments

• hempy10.jpg
    hempy10.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 52
Now take your rooted clone and place it in the bucket. First start by digging a small hole about 3 inches deep, 3 inches wide and place your rockwool cube in the the mix.

Attachments

• hempy 16.jpg
    hempy 16.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 30
Now you should get something like this.

Attachments

• hempy 17.jpg
    hempy 17.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 26
Now here is an intricate part of the hempy buckets effectiveness. You have to have good hydroponic nutrients. Here is what I use. GH Flora 3 part hydroponic series nutrients.

Attachments

• hempy11.jpg
    hempy11.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 61
Back