The Hempy Bucket

Hi Hempy
Well the reason i need to pH this water is because it has a pH of 8.5 straight from the tap,and 7.7pH when let let stand for 24 hrs, i am not using an RO filter but i can run the water through a couple of brita filters that drops it a low as 6.6pH from 7.7pH and does,nt take very long to do it when using it for the Hempy buckets,the water in our area has never been this high in the past,so i thought if i need to adjust the water for a while i might aswell adjust it to a decent range as they where showing some Defs but are now starting to clear up and are doing alot better now than they did before.
Thanks Hempy,Jesse and Scorpion for your help, and taking the time to show me how these buckets work it,s very much appreciated guys.Take Care.Hashish

Different,but effective.

Okay,so after reading through all of the advice and testimonials of the hempy bucket,I have converted over from a 9-site bubbler system to 7-2.5 gallon hempy buckets.

When I made the switch,a few plants were already into flowering for about 2-weeks...these plants had the hardest transition and seemed to eat up any of the nutes that I threw at them,whilst still having some dying off of the lower leaves as they seemed really hungry. But the plants that came staright from my veg chamber and were placed into flowering with the hempy style are gorgeous....beautiful,symmetrical growth,dark green in color and trich-laden with abundant flower growth.

I will actually see how different the hempy style is as compared to the bubbler because these are all clones that were origianally grown in my previous style.

Props once again to you Hempy for this simple and very effective style of growing. I now no longer worry about ppm or ph as the old solution is washed away/out every 2-3 days and I now have the ability to flush and carbo-load on the last few weeks of flowering....now,let's just see how well they do over a long weekend!!!

Give it a shot...I think that many of you will be uttely surprised with this method.

hi all,
ya I have the same problem with water,{well water at 200ppm/ph8+}
so I use RO filter which gives me 12ppm/ph 7 water
also if i dont filter ,it takes much more PH down to get PH to drop ...
I am assumeing that this is from calcium carbonate in the well water .
RO water only takes 3 drops PH down per gallon for proper correction.
if I do not correct PH and add my bloom nutrients then I am acidic at 5.3
so I adjust up slightly to 6... it sounds complicated ,but really this all takes just a few minutes to do.
so to sum it all up, everyone has different water,different nutrients ...so
do what ya need to keep it green and happy.

peace

Hi Scorpion
My Tapwaters pH has been only doing this over the past month or so,it,s never been in a range it,s at now, i should be getting an RO filter soon, , to sort this once and for all hopefully.
I,m also have the same problem your having adjusting,only mine is with the pH up,i thought there wa something wrong with the bottle but it,s good,it,s just taking far too much to correct the pH, and i mean alot of it Scorpion. Since i have started pH,ing the water to 6.0,6.1 things are certainley looking 100% better than they did in the past,i should have a few photos up soon of these plants in the buckets.Thanx again Scorpion.Hashish

Just thought i would drop by and let you's know that i have now flipped the Hempy Buckets over to 12/12 from yesterday.
They have been doing fantastic and i just can,t wait to see how they do come harvest time,Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with the Hempy buckets here in this thread, and through Private message.
i appreciate it,and thank you's all.Take Care.Hashish

Just thought i would drop by and let you's know that i have now flipped the Hempy Buckets over to 12/12 from yesterday.
They have been doing fantastic and i just can,t wait to see how they do come harvest time,Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with the Hempy buckets here in this thread, and through Private message.
i appreciate it,and thank you's all.Take Care.Hashish

Hey Hashish,
Good to hear an update brother :)

Happy Holidays to you my friend.

Hi
I just found this site and learned about Hempy Buckets. After reading all 10 pages I am really considering this method. I have no hydro experiance but I have grown indoors in soil for a couple of years. I was thinking about doing a DWC grow but then I would have to buy a chiller and connect all the buckets.Hempy buckets seem so easy. I want to grow very large plants and prune and veg for about 5-8 weeks before flowering. Is this possible with the Hempy Bucket method? Is it possible for the plant to become root bound in a 5 gal bucket? If so, what do you do about it? Can I keep a mother plant in a Hempy bucket? How do growth rates compare in the Hempy Bucket compared to standard soil buckets? Also, I live in the warm south. How do Hempy buckets fare in slightly higher than ideal temperatures (77-82 degrees)?
Thanks

Last edited:
. Is this possible with the Hempy Bucket method? Is it possible for the plant to become root bound in a 5 gal bucket? If so, what do you do about it? Can I keep a mother plant in a Hempy bucket? How do growth rates compare in the Hempy Bucket compared to standard soil buckets? Also, I live in the warm south. How do Hempy buckets fare in slightly higher than ideal temperatures (77-82 degrees)?
Thanks

Hi Bill,
It is possible to veg plants that long in the hempy buckets, but I suspect you would be dealing with some monsters by that point unless you carefully select your variety. And it sure is possible for a plant to become root bound in a 5 gallon bucket, my plants routinely hit the bottom of the 5 gallon buckets and come harvest time the perlite is swallowed in a mass of roots that have fitted to form of the buckets. You can keep a mother plant in a hempy bucket, although I have not had the luxary of doing that so far. Eventually though the time will come to take cuts and start over. Growth rates in the hempy bucket compared to soil in my experience are not even close. The hempy bucket leaves soil grows in the dust, they are slow initially but really explosive once established. As for the south, you shouldnt have an issues or negative side effects. This method is proven world over by now.

Glad you enjoyed the thread and took the time to read through it in its entirity.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. If the plants become root bound, is there anything you can do? Can you transplant it to a larger container with a hole about 2 inches on the side? Would it be better to start off with a larger bucket if I plan on vegging for a long time? Could a large container like a rubbermade bucket be used in the manner of a hempy bucket?
Thanks

Thanks for the info. If the plants become root bound, is there anything you can do? Can you transplant it to a larger container with a hole about 2 inches on the side? Would it be better to start off with a larger bucket if I plan on vegging for a long time? Could a large container like a rubbermade bucket be used in the manner of a hempy bucket?
Thanks

I wouldnt advise transplanting, so if you are going to veg for awhile go ahead and use the 5 gallon bucket. As for doing something about the root bound, it shouldnt be an issue that effects your grow ultimately as it should take the entire life cycle of the plant to achieve the maximum capacity of the buckets. So there really isnt anything thats going to hold you back from your plans here. A 5 gallon bucket should meet your needs. I haved used a 20 gallon rubber maid container to grow the EQ before. Theres a picture of her floating around somewhere. Keep in mind though that you have to walk before you can run and it may be better to get a feel for the hempy bucket in its "truest form" before you start experimenting. Ive used the method for years now and probably asked hempy every question under the sun a dozen times over. Glad to help, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

edit: I have transplanted before with this method, but I hated doing it and the only reason I advise against it is the potential for problems to occur. So its possible, but do it at your own risk really. Things can go south if you're not 100% what you're doing. So just use common sense and you should be good.

Last edited:
Hi Hempy-I have read a few of your threads and I am curious about your buckets. I am 53 yrs old and like simple too.I have been growing in deep water hydro for 6 years in a very small system and as an experiment this current crop (SHIT) I grew one single plant in nothing but a colander(Plastic thing to strain spaggetii noodles) full of rockwool and just covered over top with lava rock.Without the air pumps and pain of draining a resevoir, this plant did as well as any in the DWC system. I am assuming that the roots were getting lots of oxygen from the many holes in the colander. My question about your buckets would be-how are the roots getting oxygen? Also like your opinion on changing light to 11/13 for Sativa dom strains. I have been fighting to get my 4 foot high SHIT plants to fill out and mature under 12/12. Thanks,Scorpio

i have a question

when u leave 2inchs of nuits in the bottem of the bucket, doesnt the plant drink more water than nuit, and raise ppm to toxic levels, ive left hydro with out adding fresh water before, had to go out of town for two days. and i was glad it wasnt 3, i got some shock from ec/ppm raisin up over 1500ppm. just curious, due u feed chem every time or every other time??

repo

Last edited:
when u leave 2inchs of nuits in the bottem of the bucket, doesnt the plant drink more water than nuit, and raise ppm to toxic levels, ive left hydro with out adding fresh water before, had to go out of town for to days. and i was glad it wasnt 3, i got some shock from ec/ppm raisin up over 1500ppm. just curious, due u feed chem every time or every other time??

repo

Hi repoman,
The entire bucket is filled with perlite/vermiculate, so in reality there isnt truely 2 inches of nutrients below the res. hole because of displacement. There are no toxic level build ups of anything in the hempy bucket, they work like a charm. Ive never checked the ppm, EC or for that matter PH with these buckets and the plants grow like rockets seemingly with no signs of distress.
You feed the plant at full strength nutrients per directions on the bottle every time, which can differ in frequency depending on the position the plant is in, in reguards to the its life cycle. You will be feeding it more or less depending on age and at times variety.
Some folks like to check their ppm and EC etc. to stay on top of things. I know how to do it, but have found no reason to stay on top of such things.

The plants roots receive oxygen from a few different ways, but mainly the perlite/vermiculite mix is a loose medium composition that easily allows oxygen to reach the roots.

For anyone interested, this is a link to an online instructional with pictures I put together on the hempy bucket. Click on each picture to get details on how to put things together.

http://www.mrnice.nl/photos/showgallery.php?cat=518

Last edited:
Jess:

There's still something about that hole that bothers me. I looked at your gallery and it's very good. But...If that hole is 2" above the bottom, why doesn't 2" of water/nutrient remain in the bottom? And if 2" remains in there, won't it cause problems? Am I a moron? I'm missing something. I must be. For one I don'tunderstand that first sentence talking about "displacement". How would that keep 2" from remaining in the bottom?

ok I think I get it now. 2" DOES remain in there as the reservoir...and the vermiculite in the perlite mix acts as a wick of sorts to keep the whole mix moist from one water/feed to the next. The vermiculite wicks up moisture from the bottom 2 inches of the rez. Is that how it works?

The hole is simply ensures that the mix doesn't have too much moisture in it. 2" deep rez has been found by trial and error(?) to be adequate.

Thanks

SativaFan

Hi Sativa,
Well the perlite and vermiculte rest in the entire bucket, even below the res. hole. So the volume that the perlite/verm mix takes up means that there is not truely 2 inches of nutrient solution there. Basically water displacement is what I was talking about, the volume of the perlite and vermiculite dictate that a true measuring of 2 inches of nutrient solution would not equal what remains below the res hole in a hempy bucket because of the perlite/vermiculates volume.

The hole is basically there to serve a drain hole, so that the solution can run off when fresh solution is added.

DUH... I see now. There will be "liquid" in the bottom 2" but as you say, the perlite/vermiculite mix "occupy" the majority of the "space" below the hole.

Thanks for the 2x4 between the eyes LOL!! I needed that :)

SF

otay that makes since, but what about high hummid inviroments?? i mean outdoors in florida, not indoors with dehummidifier? sounds kool, want to give it a try, lets me due more then 1 strain at a time due to hydro system i use.

repo

Hey repo,
Yup should work just fine even in Florida. You just need to max your environment out and keep an eye on your plants as you should do regularly anyway.

Best of luck

hey Scorpio,to answer your question on the SHIT, switching to 11/13 is not going to help this strain, its 100%indica. that only forces sativa to finish. i've seen alot of members not knowing what strain there growing, not to pick on anyone. i simply want to let u know of 4 books that have dam near every strain known to man. plus they include grow tips and basic info, however very good knowledge on each strain. thats how i found out bout MNS. books 1-3 are intitled "The Big Book Of BUDS 1,2 &3. the 4rth one is: The Good Bud Guide. these books are pretty good reading, great photo's.

check em out!

repoman

Back