Sumithrin or phenothrin works for pests and it's inexpensive

Indi

I had a bad case of fungus gnats and another pest with bigger body all flyers.
They got on dog so I bought some dog fea and tick shampoo for dog for pocket change.
I looked up ingredients and thought if it's so safe and kills ticks used on edible crops it's worth a try on plants.
It worked fast I mean fast.No more flyers and I put sticky traps on medium still not one flyer.
It killed flyers so no more fresh eggs and I think I can drench 2 in deep to kill larvae in medium if spraying medium didn't already do it.
It's brand name is Sumithrin or patent name but it's derived from a flower and it works great.
Just like dish soap put in spray bottle spray foliage,medium surface,container surfaces and run off surfaces.
I soaked before lights off and 6 hour later when lights came on not one flyer and there was 20-30 per container and plant.
Didn't phase plant like blue dish soap does.
There's other products I've found that work the same or better as hydroshop stuff and it's 1/20 of price.

Last edited:
I was shocked on how well it worked.
One application of foliar on plant,container,surface of medium,etc... everywhere but a root soak killed all the flyers for 2 days.Just a few drop in hand spray.
I did a root soak just by adding a few drops in nute mix on a extra cutting and no harm to plant.
I think I got them from a bag of soil but who knows.
Unfortunately coco needs to stay fairly moist and they love coco.
I'm switching to rockwool so hopefully they don't like it as much.
The more I think about using it since it must be applied daily until cycle stops it may not be as safe as I thought.
It can effect humans and since it doesn't kill larvae it may not stop cycle.

Last edited:
The States have a grand total of 12 pesticides banned after human deaths directly linked to them. The European Union has 1200 on their banned list because unlike the U.S., they don't wait for someone to die before they ban them.

Back