Splitting stems a couple of weeks before harvest !!!

This Is'nt for outdoor only, but I grow outdoor only, hmm .....
Well kind of ๐Ÿ™„ if the weather doesnt comply with my plants needs and my own desirement ๐Ÿ˜‰ in the last half of flowering, the girls are granted a dry shelter in my garage with plenty of light and a dehumidifier, Where they Anyway are having their 12 hours beautysleep every night, since onset of flower.
Well Enough schmoozing for now, let me toss the ball and get the discussion rolling !!

Splitting the the main stem Before harvest, to encourage the plants to increase resin and terpine production ??

Anyone practicing this method with positive results ?

Has anyone stopped practicing this, Because lack of results or other negative side effects ?

Has someone Maybe made a side by side eksperiment ?

Well !! I'm looking forward to hear you chime in on this, Before i'm gonna pull out my knife, flash it Before her, stick it in and turn it around.

All the Best, and happy growing ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mygalomorph

I tried that 40 years ago, and other than damage the plant, it made 0 difference. I would also mess with branches. Sometimes killing the part I damaged.

You leave the plant open to pathogens ect, and I think its generally just not beneficial. For inside and increased Terpenes/THC ectโ€ฆ.Better off getting some SolaCure UVA/UVB Flower Power bulbs, or extra Phosphorus/Potassium during Early Budset, and extra Magnesium when the buds are set, and getting ready to swell.

This would equate to boosting P/K in weeks 3-4, and Magnesium weeks 5-6 for an 8 week strain.

In India they used split the stalks of plants, and put Cobra heads in them.

THC/CBD ect is genetically predetermined. Not saying something may increase it, but IMHO messing with the stalks isn't 1 of them.

Ive never heard of Shanti, Nevil, DJ, COOT, or any of the other veteran growers say anything about mucking with the stalks making the plants more potent.

Last edited:
Ive never heard of Shanti, Nevil, DJ, COOT, or any of the other veteran growers say anything about mucking with the stalks making the plants more potent.

Just my thought too ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘ i'm just asking course some advanced growers, Slayer to mention one, actually recommends this practice and have made Youtube tutorials About the subjekt !

Im growing 8-12 week strains, depending on the phenos, in soil outdoors and are in day 30-32 , and are giving them plagron alga bloom, AN Big bud and GH powder feed booster and so far, Everything has more than met my expectations.
Well more on that a little later in my "TO COME" grow thread

I have thought About uv a and uv b lights, but would just study/considder the " no investment options" first

Anyone Else Wanna chime in ??? ๐Ÿ˜‰

G `day

Grow the healthiest plant you can .
Then feed it only water the last 2-3 weeks .

Stressing the plant to create resin is a wives tale . Pre internet Urban Rumor .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Somethings are older than the internet.
My advice is to proceed with caution, and start slow. Some strains respond better than others. Shanti will tell you to turn the lights out for the last few days of flowering while running Black Whidow, to help the strain push out some extra resin. Not practical for outddors unless doing light dep. but same concept.
Try denying water the last week/weeks to stress it out just enough to squueeze out more resin. You would have to have a control group to see if it in fact helps with those strains.
Some old timers would hammer a nail through a mainstem or two for the same effect, but again, you'd need some control group. If you just wanna kill your plants before they're ready, go ahead and stick a knife in it and turn. I would wait till flowering is almost complete, like within a week, to go nuts on it.
I don't believe pampering plants to mediocrity is the answer, too much of that around, looks great, but smoke has no spirit.
Go slow, have control group, good luck. Outdoor for life.

What's considered an old timer these dayz, lol... First few years of growing in early 90's, nail stem few weeks before harvest, that was gospel.. I don't think it did anything... stopped doing it for some reason. it wont hurt the plant, lol... Id be more inclined to throw boiling water over roots and give 72 hour dark period, to see if anything extra can be produced...

Last edited:
What's considered an old timer these dayz, lol... First few years of growing in early 90's, nail stem few weeks before harvest, that was gospel.. I don't think it did anything... stopped doing it for some reason. it wont hurt the plant, lol... Id be more inclined to throw boiling water over roots and give 72 hour dark period, to see if anything extra can be produced...

G `day GS

That only works on a full moon .
And you must 1st sacrifice a goat ,cover your face with chicken blood .
And ingest a meal of Fugu .

The trichomes are not part of the transpiration system . I don`t understand how torturing the roots causes the trichomes to increase ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

EUREKA !!! I FOUND THE HOLY GRAIL !!
We just have to talk Richard Branson and Elon Musk in to combining their funds and build a SPACE GREENHOUSE in orbit around planet earth ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ‘

"The trichomes are not part of the transpiration system . I don`t understand how torturing the roots causes the trichomes to increase ?

Thanks for sharin "

There are plenty of systems with causes and effects that we don't understand. However, this set has been pretty much discredited.

Thanks for sharing

Stop the violence! Peace and harmony with and for all. I get better success with Bach instead of torturing defenseless plants for my own selfish aggrandizement. Food and light are what we all respond to. Practice peace.

Aloha nui
M

I hold your hands and slowly take in the sights as I explain them to you..Torturing plants lmfao... Boiling water being the reason lmfao... Maybe with a three day flush it could allow for an extra couple of feedings (strain dependant) which could help extra production..
Torturing plants, hahaha..I'm not doing fem seed production...
Torturing plants, lol, don't do that, starve the bitch before her death, water diet before kill her.. doest sound like a pleasurable way to go, lol..
Torturing plants, lmfao.. how do you guys harvest? Do you kill it? Let it die naturally? Do you smoke its dead shrivaled carcass for your pleasure?

Last edited:
G `day GS

No deflections bro .
That goes to the pool room . Along with 20 ft Thai`s perennial cannabis .

Tech I heard was pull the plant up roots and all then place in a big pot of sugar water and boil .

Obviously the sugar will make its way up the stems into the colas and create the sweetest smoke you have ever experienced . LOL .

Thank god I managed to buy a Marijuana Growers Guide from Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal back in the late 80s . [30 years ago ...] Busted most of those myths

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited:
I love that book, I remember finding a free copy on the internet in early 2000's while in college, I printed it off in the computer lab because paper was free. It ended up breaking the printer at page like 102, everyone was behind me waiting for their own papers to print. It's funny as hell to think of now.
I don't recommend torturing plants. But I don't believe in babying them too much either.
Resin is thought to be a by product of the species way to fend off infidels of all kinds, i.e. UV, insects, animals, etc. So at the END of flowering, not before, a little extra stress, i.e. denying water, denying light, hammering nails through stems, etc. COULD have the ability to trigger a LITTLE extra resin. Some people think it has no merit. Fine. Some people have tried it and see NO difference. I can not say its impossible.
And I would rather smoke a plant from bagseed that was sowed on a full moon, after sacrificing a goat and covering therir face in chicken blood, than a kushbubblegumhaze grown in a lab. Thats just the Voodoo in me though. Big medicine.

Last edited:
I did do a boiling water flush couple times.. not for added production but due to a later feeding and heard it quickened the final flush.. worked.. plants yellowed and ready to harvest in three days and smoke wasn't needing a longer cure, crackling or harsh once smoked..
Sars like response... Hmm, now you got me thinking about my cough... thought it was too many cones...

Elmur, you know how to hurt a person with words.. perenial, you bastard.. didn't think my stoner thoughts were spreading such.... I must appologise.. but read back and I never said will work, was merely a suggestion to look...if you have given a hungry plant just water and another food, up untill harvest and production was the same, that's good to know.. not something ive done.. but I have had plants that can keep eating untill they finish. So where I would have looked to get added production... if pointless and has been proven, thanks for saving me the time.. although I'm a stoner, I'm not doing meaningless experiments for maybe something, when what I grow smiles the dial without adding confusion or time spent on them....
I'm not sure what you mean by deflections but I did read back and should have wrote my point clearer to begin with.. was clear in my head what I meant or where I was coming from.....

Last edited:
G `day GS

It was with my tongue firmly in my cheek .
Did you realise the Castle reference ? Straight to the pool room ,with all the other treasures .

Low Stress Training and Super Cropping I am all over .
Learnt that from Mel and Ed . It works . Apical dominance can be worked in your favor for increased yield . Stressing for extra resin , I don`t have faith in . Leave the plant a week longer . Resin generally increases .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited:
And I would rather smoke a plant from bagseed that was sowed on a full moon, after sacrificing a goat and covering therir face in chicken blood, than a kushbubblegumhaze grown in a lab. Thats just the Voodoo in me though. Big medicine.

G `day SG

What about a bag seed of kushbubblegumhaze lab weed following the ages old ritual ? LOL .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Back