Setting up outdoor breeding project.

megnu

Hi, we have about 6 acres to grow outdoors on the Big Island. We have only made seed guerilla grown in the bush. Now though I'm planning out a breeding project, and was thinking of trying it on the property spaced or something (could build PVC hoop houses, but not airtight). How far should I keep the batches away from each other? Because it gets a bit windy, worried about cross pollination.

So usually how we do it is like this:
  1. start a batch seeds (anywhere from 20-100)
  2. take 3-4 of the best females and 3-4 of the best males and plant them out in the bush.
  3. go back to collect seed when ready.
But now I'm realizing there's probably a more efficient way I could do it so I don't have to hike out so much.

From my understanding, you can take male cuttings, let them go off inside, collect the pollen in a paper bag and then wrap that paper bag around a branch for 2 days? If we did it like this I could use our 40 allowed medical plants on the property. I'm not sure how fine the pollen particles are but is there a chance they could slip thru the bag? I'm worried about the wind regarding that. Because we are also producing sensimilla on the same plants/same grow area.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

So usually how we do it is like this:
  1. start a batch seeds (anywhere from 20-100)
  2. take 3-4 of the best females and 3-4 of the best males and plant them out in the bush.
  3. go back to collect seed when ready.
But now I'm realizing there's probably a more efficient way I could do it so I don't have to hike out so much.

From my understanding, you can take male cuttings, let them go off inside, collect the pollen in a paper bag and then wrap that paper bag around a branch for 2 days? If we did it like this I could use our 40 allowed medical plants on the property. I'm not sure how fine the pollen particles are but is there a chance they could slip thru the bag? I'm worried about the wind regarding that. Because we are also producing sensimilla on the same plants/same grow area.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Hey man
Sounds like a cool setup in a beautiful part of the world.

You can apply the pollen with a brush also.
Are you just breeding for yourself, or for distribution to your Ohana?

Don't worry that a bit of pollen here and there will seed out your san-semilla.
Female plants will often self a little also, so your bloom should be fine.

If the seed is just for your own use, you should be able to identify an outlier as a mismatch, maybe.
If an outstanding plant appears from a stray pollen, this isn't really a bad thing.

Regarding professional breeding protocols, for wider seed distribution, I can't offer you much:, sorry.

All the best with your adventure.
Aloha ahonui
Enjoy the ride brother

Last edited:
Hey man
Sounds like a cool setup in a beautiful part of the world.

You can apply the pollen with a brush also.
Are uou just breeding for yourself, or for distribution to your ohana?

Don't worry that a bit of pollen here and there will seed out your san-samilla.
Female plants will often self a little also, so your bloom should be fine.

If the seed is just for your own use, you should be able to identify an outlier as a mismatch, maybe.
If it's an outstanding plant that appears from a stray pollen also, this isn't really a bad thing.

For professional breeding protocols, for wider distribution, I can't offer you much:, sorry.

All the best with your adventure.
Aloha ahonui
Enjoy the ride brother

Aloha & Mahalo Vlad,

Appreciate the tip. I just saw that brush technique on a YouTube video, will definitely try that.

I also saw they have pollen bags, heard they don't let the pollen escape so should be good I guess.

Breeding for our own crops and to give away. Trying to learn it as much as I can, it's all very exciting to me.

I would assume it's risky to pollinate one branch and then pollinate the branch right next to it with another male? I'm thinking do it on opposite sides.

Bong time, fire in the hole!

Megnu, friend, I would ask how many seeds you want to make. A thousand seeds is easily obtainable from one mom plant and a few tops of a good male.
6 acres is a field. Do you need enough seed to sow 6 acres? Or that’s what your working with and you grow 50 plants on that 6 acres?
I know 2 ways to make reliable seed results
1) Find a good match between a mom and dad, keeping both parents as clones. The plants from those seeds are great and you can make more of those great seeds reliably over and over again from both patents until one dies and you start over. Most of ADAM works like this.
2) Selective Breeding, or Bottlenecking depending on how you feel about it. Find some great females from your patch, 5 let’s say (depends on what you are selecting for), pollinate with a male or a few males with traits you like. Smoke all 5 moms when ready, grow seeds from the 1 plant you like most. Repeat every year. After a few years of selection most of the seeds you produce will give reliable results for YOUR criteria. Some seed companies like ACE F1-? do this and are not ashamed of it. Farmers worldwide have been practicing this for a long time
I love dreaming of projects like this. Please keep me posted
Great luck

Aloha & Mahalo Vlad,

Appreciate the tip. I just saw that brush technique on a YouTube video, will definitely try that.

I also saw they have pollen bags, heard they don't let the pollen escape so should be good I guess.

Breeding for our own crops and to give away. Trying to learn it as much as I can, it's all very exciting to me.

I would assume it's risky to pollinate one branch and then pollinate the branch right next to it with another male? I'm thinking do it on opposite sides.

Bong time, fire in the hole!
If they are just for your selection, could you just make a breeding box inside.
Wouldn't need more than a 300w CMH, if.
You can seperate your males easily then.
Just run different males throughout the year.

If you get a nice team of ladies, you can let each dude date the whole harem.

Megnu, friend, I would ask how many seeds you want to make. A thousand seeds is easily obtainable from one mom plant and a few tops of a good male.
6 acres is a field. Do you need enough seed to sow 6 acres? Or that’s what your working with and you grow 50 plants on that 6 acres?
I know 2 ways to make reliable seed results
1) Find a good match between a mom and dad, keeping both parents as clones. The plants from those seeds are great and you can make more of those great seeds reliably over and over again from both patents until one dies and you start over. Most of ADAM works like this.
2) Selective Breeding, or Bottlenecking depending on how you feel about it. Find some great females from your patch, 5 let’s say (depends on what you are selecting for), pollinate with a male or a few males with traits you like. Smoke all 5 moms when ready, grow seeds from the 1 plant you like most. Repeat every year. After a few years of selection most of the seeds you produce will give reliable results for YOUR criteria. Some seed companies like ACE F1-? do this and are not ashamed of it. Farmers worldwide have been practicing this for a long time
I love dreaming of projects like this. Please keep me posted
Great luck
Hi Shrimp&Grits,

Thanks for the tips and breaking it down, very helpful.

No particular number goals but filling a big jar up would be nice. :cool:

Yes, 6 acres what we're working with for spacing, allowed 40 plants with our permits, and would like to maybe make seeds on the property? I thought it would be safer to do it away from the sensimillia crop but what I'm learning is with the pollen bags you can do it branch by branch next to unseeded? I had doubts about the wind releasing pollen as the branches move.

If they are just for your selection, could you just make a breeding box inside.
Wouldn't need more than a 300w CMH, if.
You can seperate your males easily then.
Just run different males throughout the year.

If you get a nice team of ladies, you can let each dude date the whole harem.

So if I understand correctly, the breeding box is used to keep male cuttings alive and producing? Then pollinate the females somewhere else? We only have a generator and solar panels for limited power use. Could be done with a bit of creativity and LED lights?

Last edited:
J
Hi Shrimp&Grits,

Thanks for the tips and breaking it down, very helpful.

No particular number goals but filling a big jar up would be nice. :cool:

Yes, 6 acres what we're working with for spacing, allowed 40 plants with our permits, and would like to maybe make seeds on the property? I thought it would be safer to do it away from the sensimillia crop but what I'm learning is with the pollen bags you can do it branch by branch next to unseeded? I had doubts about the wind releasing pollen as the branches move.

So if I understand correctly, the breeding box is used to keep male cuttings alive and producing? Then pollinate the females somewhere else? We only have a generator and solar panels for limited power use. Could be done with a bit of creativity and LED lights?

Just keep the dudes in veg in your nursery.
Breed in the box.
You don't really need tall plants just for seed.
The box is to limit pollen spread
Or use a small tent

Back