Search for Punto Rojo

Today I smoked some of the BX2 seed plant that I removed from the tent at about 10 weeks, and I've learned something about sativas taken (way) too early. They're freaking freaky! I was in line at the hardware store a while later and I realized that I was almost having a panic attack. I was super high but in a strangely uncomfortable way. I smoke sativas almost exclusively, so I expect I have a pretty good tolerance toward this sort of thing. I can see how this stuff could make the uninitiated swear off of the Devil's weed. Curtain-peeking herb, this stuff when taken too early. I attribute it to how immature that plant was at harvest. I'm pretty confident the high will be much better from properly grown and harvested plants that go the distance.

The flip side is that I've smoked my puntodorado keeper harvested at 20 weeks and another one harvested at ~17 weeks. In both cases the buds were done swelling at ~16 weeks. The 20-week sample has now cured 10 months, while the 17-week clone has cured for six months. The 17-week bud has an aroma and an effect that's clearly superior to the later one.

Not too early, not too late. It's like the goldilocks story.

I can get confused quickly… you crossed TLT punto rojo keeper with 78 Colombian. Grew this out, selected a female F1 (PuntoDorado) and crossed it back to 78 Colombian. That made BX1… Then what…?

I can get confused quickly… you crossed TLT punto rojo keeper with 78 Colombian. Grew this out, selected a female F1 (PuntoDorado) and crossed it back to 78 Colombian. That made BX1… Then what…?

....Then I grow out the puntodorado BX1, which is where I am currently (10 weeks), and select a keeper male or female for breeding. I'll cross that Colombian keeper to a select Vietnamese plant that I'll grow this fall, and those seeds will be my first iteration at a haze revival

Beautious Fish! God how I'd like to be able to finish sativas outdoors. I have a couple punto rojo (F2s from Cannabiogen stock) growing outside this year, but the best I can hope for is to take cuts to flower indoors or collect some pollen if any are males.

Here we are at 16 weeks into the puntodorado BX grow. These are difficult plants to grow and I did a terrible job keeping them happy. I need some remedial tutelage from my brother Musashi. At least I'm PM free in the flower tent this grow; again, thanks to Musashi's advice and the purchase of dehumidifiers and a HEPA filter. Speaking of filters, if I had ever gotten around to outfitting the inlet to my tent with an improvised HEPA filter as I planned, I might've avoided a pretty thoorough pollination of everything in the tent. My angeldorado keeper male autoflowered in the veg cabinet and the pollen was exhausted in the direction of the tent inlet. I call it a fortunate accident, because I'll have lots of Haze/Colombian seed to play with.

I harvested three plants last night, the faster BX#4 and the puntobiche cross. Smoke tests of 12-week samples from the seed plants of these were good, but not keeper quality. The PRM cross was to the fastest PD mom, and that weed is correspondingly more stony. I am increasingly of the opinion that there's a correlation between stoniness and flowering time. Here they are before the chop.

PD BX #4
PD1BX4 F108.jpg

PD1BX4 cola F108.jpg

PD10 x PRM
PD10xPRM F108.jpg

Here are the two longer flowering plants that I'll harvest in another week or two, when the seed ripens further. Both of these plants had the most interesting aromas, and after manhandling them for a bit my hands smelled like Chinese food - ginger, much like the PD1 mother plant. BX#3 is the longer flowering specimen with longer internodes and that feral bud structure that I love. I think the foxtails would've grown longer, and the plant finished later, if it had not been seeded. Smoke tests on these two plants from the 12-week seed plant samples were electric and bright, particularly BX#3. She's probably the keeper, although BX#2 was the most resilient plant to my horrible grow technique and may also have a more interesting taste and aroma.

PD BX #3
PD1BX3 F108.jpg

PD1BX3 cola1 F108.jpg

PD BX #2

PD1BX2 F108.jpg

Back in July I planted a punto rojo F2 seedling (CBG stock) in the ground, knowing that it'd never finish at 42N, but damn...it sure is a beautiful plant. All of 7' tall even with partial sunlight. Mid September and it still isn't showing sex. I might take a couple cuts, just because.

PR female 1.jpg

About a month later I put another punto rojo seedling in crappy soil in a planter, and basically abused it all summer. It's a male, and it has a wonderful peppery finish to the aroma. I'll collect and freeze some pollen for sure. Good thing too, because all the Vietnam and outback / grail haze crosses I'm running are female except for one Swiss Thai Nevil. So this guy will have his way with some Asian girls. I like the idea of a Vietnam x punto rojo DIY haze cross.

PR male flower.jpgPR male plant.jpg

Back