Search for Punto Rojo

Finally, an update on my second round with and some thoughts about the quality of this puntodorado smoke.

In December I harvested PD3, the clone that didn't flower in time for the first round last spring/summer. I also harvested PD1, another clone of the 20-week keeper. I flowered these plants and a couple of my keeper Angel's Breathe F2 clones last fall after all of the Angeldorado plants I vegged last summer turned out to be males. During that grow I had one of those pollen events that heavily seeded my weed, but possibly in a serendipitous way. I had kept two out of the six Angeldorado males I grew last summer in the veg cabinet. These are beautiful plants with excellent resin, structure, and the tastiest, pineyest terps I've ever found on a male. One of them autoflowered in the veg cabinet. The fan that exhausts my veg cabinet is (now, was) right next to the inlet on my flower tent, so I had a perfect pollen distribution system. :) So PD1, PD3, and ABF2 plants all got heavily seeded from an outstanding keeper male of ABF2 x 78CG lineage. That means I have lots of seeds with some really interesting crosses and backcrosses, including:
  • ABF2 x (ABF2 x 78CG)
  • (TLT PR x 78CG) x (ABF2 x 78CG)
So I have a bunch of seeds that backcross to either the best haze plant I've grown or to a 78CG male that has passed progeny testing with flying colors. I could spend a few lifetimes exploring these lines.

PD3 had a lovely structure and is very potent smoke, but I found the effect to be a bit more stupefying than the clear-headed buzz I prefer, so it wasn't a keeper. PD1 was even better the second time around because I harvested it at ~ 17 weeks rather than 20. This significantly improved the effect and the intensity of the terps of the weed, which has now been curing for three months. It's majorly pungent and, dare I say, even dank. But not in a skunky or chemy way; it's slowly taking on that classic Colombian smell I remember so fondly from the 70s. The effect is more potent, more energetic, more clear-headed, and my frees my mind to explore concepts that would otherwise be out of reach. A lady friend joined me last weekend and we had a major smoke-out of the 17-week PD1, shared three or four joints over a couple hours and ended up laughing our asses off at stupid shit just like the good old days.

This weed is really fucking good. It's all I smoke. One or two tokes on a one-hitter and I'm right back in the 1970s, enjoying the good herb and the good life, preferably in the great outdoors.

Below I've updated the flower time chart to reflect the fact that I finished growing out PD3, and that I've sampled PD1 at both 17 and 20 weeks.

PD10 - 12.5 weeks
PD6 - 16 weeks
PD3 - 17 weeks
PD2 - 17 weeks
PD9 - 20 weeks
PD1 - 17-20 weeks

These breeding goals are exciting and have huge upside.
Afghan haze is high the afghan crossed to c in probably its 2and generation. Nev seemed to hint he made the original f1s towards end if time in amsterdam
Afghan t was skunk archetype type for nev. Seems he was right considering what's been found in balhki Kunduz hash plant populations since.
By far Afghan t x haze c haze has more afghan t of any cultivati t r. Making f2s out of any throwback ladies . Recreate super skunk and rks with it!. Hopefully

Greetings MNS compadres!

How is the yield on these plants brah?

Musashi, I think I averaged about 3.5 ounces per plant, but a lot of that was seed! LOL

Fish, that looks like a great batch of Colombianas! May the outdoor growing gods be with you in full this year - these babies express so much better outdoors. I hope you keep us posted on what you find.

I was out of town for a couple weeks so I let my automation setup flower the rehabilitated seed plants and I left the clones with my son for daily care in my absence. After I returned I picked up the now-rooted clones at his place and was pleased that my car filled with a pretty nice, dank weed smell. Impressively stinky for such little beasts. After about three weeks of 10/14 the seed plants finally showed sex, and I got four girls and one boy. So last night I put four rooted clones into the flower tent in 2-gallon hempy buckets: three Puntodorado #1 BXs and one puntodorado x puntobiche. I have clone backups so the seed plants have done their job (showing sex and making cuts) and will be culled. I'm going to flower and collect pollen from the puntodorado BX male in a separate area.

Of the five punto rojo F2 seeds I germinated, I've culled two (wide leaves and leaf deformities) and am thinking about adding one to the flower tent with the four puntodorado plants. I gave the punto rojo F2s a little stem rub and holy crap, one of them is a major-league standout on terps. Very strong menthol smell for such a small, immature seed plant. I think this one deserves a closer look in flower. Does anyone know if the menthol smell in veg translates to the peppery smell in mature flowers? That subtle peppery smell and pine and earth are the three primary smells I remember from the good Colombian and Mexican sativas I smoked in the 1970s.

I took a four-month break from flowering during peak PM season in my shitty indoor grow environment, and it's good to be back in the saddle again. I'll post some pics soon. That feeling of anxious excitement and expectation of good things to come when you begin a new flower cycle...I love it. I'd be happy to pheno hunt sativas for the rest of my life.

Greetings MNS compadres!

Musashi, I think I averaged about 3.5 ounces per plant, but a lot of that was seed! LOL

Fish, that looks like a great batch of Colombianas! May the outdoor growing gods be with you in full this year - these babies express so much better outdoors. I hope you keep us posted on what you find.

I was out of town for a couple weeks so I let my automation setup flower the rehabilitated seed plants and I left the clones with my son for daily care in my absence. After I returned I picked up the now-rooted clones at his place and was pleased that my car filled with a pretty nice, dank weed smell. Impressively stinky for such little beasts. After about three weeks of 10/14 the seed plants finally showed sex, and I got four girls and one boy. So last night I put four rooted clones into the flower tent in 2-gallon hempy buckets: three Puntodorado #1 BXs and one puntodorado x puntobiche. I have clone backups so the seed plants have done their job (showing sex and making cuts) and will be culled. I'm going to flower and collect pollen from the puntodorado BX male in a separate area.

Of the five punto rojo F2 seeds I germinated, I've culled two (wide leaves and leaf deformities) and am thinking about adding one to the flower tent with the four puntodorado plants. I gave the punto rojo F2s a little stem rub and holy crap, one of them is a major-league standout on terps. Very strong menthol smell for such a small, immature seed plant. I think this one deserves a closer look in flower. Does anyone know if the menthol smell in veg translates to the peppery smell in mature flowers? That subtle peppery smell and pine and earth are the three primary smells I remember from the good Colombian and Mexican sativas I smoked in the 1970s.

I took a four-month break from flowering during peak PM season in my shitty indoor grow environment, and it's good to be back in the saddle again. I'll post some pics soon. That feeling of anxious excitement and expectation of good things to come when you begin a new flower cycle...I love it. I'd be happy to pheno hunt sativas for the rest of my life.
When is peak pm for you inside what months?

Hey Fish, how's the Lumbo jumbo doing?

BuzzardsBay, PM seems to be worse in the winter.

Here's an update on my continuing quest. Took this pic last night. The plants in back are the seed plants I sprouted back in November. I nearly killed them, brought them back to life to take cuts (again), then flowered them to determine sex. I put the rooted clones into flower a few weeks later. Those are in the square pots. My two favorites are bottom left (most odiferous) and lower right. Huge internode length. Now about 4 weeks into flower, they have enough root mass to really stretch, over 2"/day. Beautiful skinny leaves. Not quite needle leaves though. The little guy front center is the lone male. He looks great, but the male seed plant went intersex when I severely light stressed him. I culled the seed plant but kept the clone and will flower it long enough to make and store some pollen, but I'm not going to keep him. I include a couple pics of the male seed plant before I culled it.

PD BX1 4-week.jpg

PD BX1 male culled.jpg

PD BX1 male herm.jpg

Yeah they love the heat and sun. I have no doubt that with the right timing and watering, they would grow 20'+ tall.
that big TLT x PRMB plant is the in first pic on the bottom row, front and center. it was a big one from the get-go

Greetings all. Herewith are a few snaps of the Puntodorado BX1 male from clone that I'm flowering. He's a stud for sure. Super vigorous and feral looking. Put in the tent with the girls, he began making staminate flowers within a week or two of 12/12. I took these pics before I bent him over and stuffed him inside the Flowering Chamber for Randy Males.

PD BX1 male cola.jpg

PD BX1 male plant2 5-13-21.jpg

PD BX1 male 5-13-21 flowers.jpg

PD BX1 leaf2.jpg

Here we are already at 9.5 weeks flowering from (barely) rooted clones. The stretch was over around week 7, and they're starting to fill out, add resin, and exuding those delicious sativa smells! Viney bud structure seems to prevail at this stage. Yay!

PDBX2 has the most interesting aroma. Not the typical Christmas tree structure. Viney. It wasn't crowded or trained prior to this pic.

PDBX2 F65.jpg
PDBX2  buds F65.jpg

Here's PDBX3. She's a wild, freaky beast. I had to tie her up a couple weeks ago.

PDBX3 F65.jpg
PDBX3 budsF65.jpg

Here's PDBX4.

PDBX4 F65.jpg

PDBX4 cola F65.jpg

Finally, here's the cross of the faster PD mother plant with punto rojo x mangobiche. Truly, a Colombian mashup.
PD10 X PRM F65.jpg
PD10 X PRM cola F65.jpg

Back