Search for Punto Rojo

Marcus_in_the_Darkus said:
I unfortunately lost the PD10 clone but have a lot of seeds, and I'm going to share them and collaborate with a new friend on a "Cape Cod landrace" project, where we'll see if we can acclimatize them to our (his) climate and do a couple years of selection in an effort to breed an early, 100% sativa that can finish here at 42N. The F2s I made from PD10 will be a good place to start."

Hello Marcu_in_the_Darkus!

WOW! Awesome grow! I live not far from you, near Albany at 42N! Would be more than glad to help with your project to help acclimatize the plants to 42N!

Longball

Lovely mate. Always fun and informative in here. My two Colombian crosses this year are SLOW to flower and they‘ve been alive since late March. Still no sex on 1 and tiny male pre-pre-flowers on the other. Cheers to a good smoke

I found enough of those Puntobiche buds to last me several days. Man that was nice. I had forgotten how great those sativas made me feel and how long it lasts too. I didn’t feel the need to smoke all day. It’s crazy how different and better music sounds with this stuff. I just put my headphones on and I’m on another planet like I was a stoned teenager again.
They were very red/rusty in color. I always hear about thc turning to cbn and making weed sleepy. I didn’t get that effect at all.
I’d love to hear an update on your PuntoDorado smoke.

I still have a tiny bit of it left myself, Fish, and I agree, it's really special weed. And to Buzzard's Bay's comment, these puntodorado colas have cured very nicely, with the 12-week #10 in the jar for five months now and PD1, the 20-week keeper, for three months. PD10 has taken on that classic Colombian woody aroma from the '70s, just like the puntobiche. And the high is great with very good potency. I haven't been smoking much of the others, so there may be more pleasant surprises as this stuff cures.

PD3 is a puntodorado female who didn't root in time to flower in the first round, so I'm running a clone of her now, along with a PD1 clone and a couple ABF2 clones. SHe's a beautiful plant, perfect sativa structure with long internodes, Christmas tree shape, and a long spear of an apical cola. Aromas are pine and citrus, nothing dank about it. This pic is from ~11 weeks and she's at 13 now, so I'll harvest in a few more weeks. I was late to seed her otherwise I'd harvest these a bit earlier to see how that changes the effect.

PD3 F70.jpg

PD3 cola3 F70.jpg

Attachments

• PD3 cola3 F70.jpg
    PD3 cola3 F70.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 2
And the search for the quintessential Colombian sativa continues. Next batch I'm going to flower some of the puntodorado BX seeds I made from the F1s. I had a tiny bit of '78 CG pollen in the freezer, enough to do a small batch of backcross seeds from each F1 plant. I popped four such seeds each from my fastest and slowest F1 plants, as well as a couple Lumbo mashup seeds I made from the puntodorado F1s (punto rojo x 78 CG) x (punto rojo x mangobiche). Not sure what I'm gonna call that one. Let's see what happens!

PD BX seedlings1.jpg

What does Yo Sam say? I personally disagree with Tom here, as I already told you fish.

More than one way to skin a cat through. :)

In my experience growing photos, blooming depends entirely on the strain. Even with landraces. For example Bekaa Valley Lebanese blooms here outdoors at the 45th parallel at the same time as it does in Lebanon on the 34th parallel. And they finish at the same time. I do not have to adjust for night length to get them to bloom outdoors here. Similarly Colombians do not bloom here until November like they do growing almost on the equator in Colombia. It has little to do with origin solstice or seasonal day length per se, and more with genetics and the actual hours of dark. Enough dark hours in successive days and the plant will bloom. Some years I let them bloom natuirally in the greenhouses outside like I did this year, and some years I force my plants to bloom earlier to get them harvested earlier (if they are late blooming strains). And when I do I run them 10/14 light/dark to force them. You do not gain anything by leaving them outside in late and twilight hours. No sun energy at those hours. It usually takes a week and they are blooming. Colombians may take longer. They are fussy bloomers. Also I have found running landraces for most of my life now that latitude does not really correspond to long blooming, or late or early blooming. Either where I am growing from the 33rd parallel to the 45th, or where the seeds are from. Also these seems to be no correlation to later or earlier bloom start times comparing where they originated. For example, Zacatecas Purple (more northern Mexico) blooms longer and later than SW Mexican Oaxacan, and then Colombians bloom longer and later than Oaxacan. Mexico and Colombia is not where weed evolved though, or anywhere else in the new world. Weed is an old world plant. How long they take to establish as landraces in regard to blooming long term in multiple generations is not really known. And as pretty much all weed strains are not from where they evolved because of human transport, it is hard to say what latitude they originated at and what the original blooming trigger time was, save for Ruderalis which were all autos. With the complete mish mash of strain genetics now, dark cycle blooming could well be anything originating from anywhere. Also there is gene switching involved, and IMO Cannabis will flip genes on or off rapidly (in as few as 5 generations) to adapt to any latitude and environment they are grown in. They are a true weed in that regard.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Tom Hill's take is interesting. My very first grow I flowered everything at 13/11 (with far IR at lights out) and I got massive buds and yield. OK, the DWC also helped. Ont he other hand, Snowhigh recommends sativas be flowered at 10.5/13.5, and he seems to have a lot of experience with sativas.

Meanwhile, back in the veg cabinet, the puntodorado backcrosses and Lumbo mashup seedlings are doing fine. Here's a group shot. The four in the back are PD10 (fastest plant) BX. The four in the middle are PD1 (20-week plant) BX. And the two plants in front are puntodorado x puntobiche. I'm planning to take cuts in another ~3 weeks and flower the clones when rooted. I'll pay closer attention to nitrogen reduction as they begin to flower, but I'm still fighting a losing battle with PM. I'll introduce some improved environmental controls this time, but I'm pretty much of the opinion that the best thing I can do is select for PM resistance. My last grow the AB F2 clones were loaded with PM, while puntodorado #3 was untouched.

PD BX seedlings2.jpg

These were some of the strains Jim Belushi was searching for on his recent 3 part documentary.
Growing Belushi
Punta Rojo
Santa Marta gold
Panama Red were all well known names in the seventies but faded into oblivion when the dutch hybrids hit the scene.
Man that old seedy red bud was the bomb!
Good luck with finding a really special female.

You should,. You're about 1000x more credible than the dude he sourced his seeds from in Colombia.

Jim doesn't come across as the world brightest guy in that show. Contrived drama. But I have to say that my opinion of Dan Akroyd remains high after he insisted that the Blues Brothers name be associated with Colombian sativas. I doubt that Belushi would have the patience or commercial appetite to grow out 16 - 20 week plants.

You should,. You're about 1000x more credible than the dude he sourced his seeds from in Colombia.

Jim doesn't come across as the world brightest guy in that show. Contrived drama. But I have to say that my opinion of Dan Akroyd remains high after he insisted that the Blues Brothers name be associated with Colombian sativas. I doubt that Belushi would have the patience or commercial appetite to grow out 16 - 20 week plants.

Dunno. I have seen Belushi's setup in Southern Oregon along the Rogue River. Videos are posted on YouTube and they have shown stuff on it here on the local news. He mainly has Quonset hut hoop GH setup outdoors with closable lower side panels. That is made for the summer river valley heat. The frost there in the Rogue River Valley right when the Colombians are just starting to bloom. Average first frost there in the Rogue River Valley is only one week after me in North Oregon on October 22. So they would have to use the heated, insulated and lighted GH to grow these late and long 'lombo bloomers. I believe they have some there that they use for carrying clones over winter. But it is not set up for late bloomers and cultivation.

I also tried growing the CG weed back in the late 1970s in coastal California. The rains came early in October that year before they bloomed in mid October. So I moved one inside my south facing bedroom window and the rest inside an abandoned house on the lot. I gave up on them and forgot about them. The lesbians next door found them in December and chopped them. They said they 'smoked up real good'. Fan leaves mostly, really small buds. The one indoors did OK, but it was just the same as weed I could buy for $40 an oz. Hardly worth the effort. By that time local sinsemilla was hitting the scene, and that was killer weed. I switched to growing mostly Mexican and local NorCal hybrid strains after that that finished in October.

Tom Hill's take is interesting. My very first grow I flowered everything at 13/11 (with far IR at lights out) and I got massive buds and yield. OK, the DWC also helped. Ont he other hand, Snowhigh recommends sativas be flowered at 10.5/13.5, and he seems to have a lot of experience with sativas.

Meanwhile, back in the veg cabinet, the puntodorado backcrosses and Lumbo mashup seedlings are doing fine. Here's a group shot. The four in the back are PD10 (fastest plant) BX. The four in the middle are PD1 (20-week plant) BX. And the two plants in front are puntodorado x puntobiche. I'm planning to take cuts in another ~3 weeks and flower the clones when rooted. I'll pay closer attention to nitrogen reduction as they begin to flower, but I'm still fighting a losing battle with PM. I'll introduce some improved environmental controls this time, but I'm pretty much of the opinion that the best thing I can do is select for PM resistance. My last grow the AB F2 clones were loaded with PM, while puntodorado #3 was untouched.

View attachment 47526
I am down on the Cape. I’m selecting for PM resistance as well.
I did have some success with Big Sur’s PM control.
I also practiced with the bud washing technique of Jorge Cervantes as seen on you tube. Another guy in you tube uses another step washing in lemon juice and baking soda.

The Puntodorado BX plants are now about 8 weeks from seed and doing well. Very vigorous jungle plants, especially from PD1 (the 20-week, primal keeper). They took over my veg cabinet. Pretty similar look to most of the PD1 BX, more variability in the 12-week PD10 progeny. Long internodes, emerald leaves, beautiful large fan leaves. Mild sativa aromas developing on most plants. Here's a PD1 BX and a thin-leaved, but bushier PD10 BX. I took cuts and should start to flower them in a couple weeks.

PD1 BX.jpg

PD10 BX.jpg

Back