Search for Punto Rojo

Hey braddahs,

I think about those old days...
When we smoked leaves instead of flower and we were happy with that lid of shake because no one knew better. On the West Coast USA, choices were real simple then- basically Mexican, Columbian or Hawaiian. No micro variations or poly hybrids. No breeding gurus. We were satisfied in our ignorance. Now there are so many options to choose from and yet people are not happy. I can't help wishing we could go back to simpler, quieter times. Hence some of us clinging to old school genetics.
Looking forward to what Marcus may find again, in this old classic.

Shaka
Mu

I'm still wondering why the thread is titled punto when the correct spelling is punta.

Punto refers to a needle and sewing, punta means.....wait for it.....point.

Punta rojo meant red point.

Sorry to be a stickler but it's been bugging me forever.
Btw, yes mi espanol es vavoso, but I'm not wrong in this.

El chongo sale disparado de mi trasero.

I'm still wondering why the thread is titled punto when the correct spelling is punta.

Punto refers to a needle and sewing, punta means.....wait for it.....point.

Punta rojo meant red point.

Sorry to be a stickler but it's been bugging me forever.
Btw, yes mi espanol es vavoso, but I'm not wrong in this.

El chongo sale disparado de mi trasero.

Wow. Hmmm…

WikiDiff lists punto to mean dot or point.
Punto Rojo roughly translates to “Red Dot”.
Punta is a garifuna style of festive music and dance.
https://wikidiff.com/punta/punto

Spanish dictionary:
https://www.spanishdict.com/translate/punto

From what I understand, in the past Cannabiogen, as well as Maconha and Semillas de Marihuana have offered Punto Rojo, a Columbian “red” strain.

Punta Rosa cannabis strain by Cannabiogen is a pure Sativa hailing from Panama and Colombia.
Breeder: Cannabiogen
Lineage: Punta Rosa cannabis strain is a cross between Panama and Colombia cannabis strains.

Punto Rojo cannabis strain by Cannabiogen is a pure Sativa that hails from central Columbia...
Breeder: Cannabiogen
Lineage: Colombia Punto Rojo cannabis strain descends from Colombian Punto Rojo cannabis strains.

“Excellent Colombian strain from Cannabiogen. Charlie Garcia crossed Colombian line from center of the country with line from Santa Marta region, and gave us this lovely landrace sativa with little to none hermie issues.”

Interesting stuff here:
https://greencamp.com/landrace-strains/
How much is true, I dunno

Big Sur?

Shaka
Mu

Last edited:
Not really, espanol is probably older than most major languages and is pretty well dialed in.
I think at some point someone mis-spelled punta and everyone just ran with it (cannabiogen, ace, who knows ?).

It's like nino and nina ( boy and girl ).
Well defined bit easily mistaken by someone only partially familiar with the language.

Just look at any south America map.
Every point is called punta ( punta cabras, punta escondido, punta baja, etc) .

Blah, enough about this, doesn't matter in the grand scheme, it just irks me is all.

...I'm still wondering why the thread is titled punto when the correct spelling is punta...

...Charlie Garcia / Cannabiogen made PR seeds available in the 2012 timeframe...

...I was fortunate enough to trade for some Punto Rojo x Mangobiche F1 seeds...

... He grew them from CBG stock...

How about we try this?
As mentioned in the first post of this thread. Marcus is talking about and growing a CBG derived product. CBG called their product Punto Rojo. End of story.

Shaka
Mu

It's to simplify for would be breeders, know lines to look for male and female selections ;)

Last edited:
Well, since you brought it up; you are right, language has nuance. Gender, inflection and regions, etc. have different pronunciation depending upon cultural as well as sub-cultural influence within the region. Traveling from Barcelona to Madrid, one can notice pronunciation changes. Sake in Japan could mean rice wine but if pronounced incorrectly, you'll be served salmon.

But the fact remains, CBG, a Spanish company named and marketed their product as Punto Rojo. And since the seeds were derived from them, why argue about the title of this thread? Sounds like useless carping to me. If it really irks you perhaps you should take it up with Cannabiogen.

Hopefully we can now get back to this stellar grow of Punto Rojo that was given to Marcus by CF.

Shaka
Mu

Yesca
hqdefault.jpg

Punto Dorado?

Lol, I'm a huge Cheech & Chong fan but I never got the yesca reference until I just looked it up. MUF DVR is a classic! Thanks, Fish and N2, for the laughs and the continuing ganja education. Excellent referral to the Ganja Outpost, Fish...I'm gonna enjoy reading that, thanks!

I think I'll continue to call punto rojo punto rojo, although the idea of referring to the females as puntas roja is appealing. And yes, the first batch of Colombians I grew out, the puntobiche, were courtesy of Cannafish. Really excellent herb, it's totally old school. And oh so fine after a 16 month cure.

Speaking of proper names for Colombian cultivars, I have been told by the generous donor of the 1978 pollen that, based on his smoking the herb he grew last year, he believes the 1978 seed he grew out last year was Colombian Gold, and not punto rojo. So my catchy name of punto rojo resurrection (PR²) is not apt, but what is? I'm thinking punto oro or, better yet, punto dorado. I'm happy to take advise from fluent Spanish speakers in this regard.

Best of luck Marcus. Late 70s-early 80s Columbian gold is my very favorite weed I have ever had.

I could not agree more (although I did hallucinate on some weed once in 1975 and I'd love to find that again...even remember thinking back then I should save the seeds!)! Very excited to see what I find in this cross of c. 2005 punto rojo x c. 1978 Colombian Gold...hoping for the CG effects I remember from a batch of CG seaweed that washed ashore in the Florida Keys around Christmas 1976...it was epic weed.

On the topic of my current punto dorado (puntodorado?) grow, these plants show tremendous vigor and I have now topped all ten and am rooting the cuts, essentially two weeks earlier than I had planned. Hopefully I'll have this latest batch of Colombian mashups in flower in a few weeks. Problem is I have ten plants and room for six in the tent at the most. I hope to find a nice male or two and I expect to find a couple more that go full hermie as soon as they get root bound in my 2-gallon pots (at around 5 weeks), otherwise I'll have to make some tough choices in early flower regarding selection, or prune and train the hell out of them. Last time around the trick of letting them grow through the lights worked really well to control stretch.

Real columbian gold was always from Santa Marta and is known as such.
Maybe red santa ?
Martas point ?

Edit
Puto santa
Heh

Last edited:
Greetings and salutations, MNS compadres! While we adjust to social isolation in these times when a microbe has interrupted humanity, let us focus on the good things we have and take time rarely found to improve ourselves and our world. Great time to grow some kick-ass ganja!

Currently cleaning out the tent and harnessing my xi so as to prevail in the upcoming battle with these landrace sativa throwback jungle plants. Also disinfecting everything in my grow space, because PM absolutely ruined my last crop 10 weeks into flower. Sadness.

These puntodorado plants are seriously vigorous! The #2 seed plant in a 4" pot is taking over the canopy in the veg cabinet, and I have rooted clones ready to flower only 6-7 weeks from seed, despite low nutes and cold conditions. The veg cabinet is crazy; I'm going to have to go in there and take more cuts and prune roots.

The stem rub smells at this stage are different from the punto rojo mother; aromas are more pronounced and a few of the plants have a sweeter, yet richer aroma that makes me think of...chocolate. Interesting. I'll have them under 12/12 soon and will post some pics in a week or so when they really start to look like sativas. :)

Puntodorado Day Zero

OK, they don't really look like much yet, but I'm so excited about this grow that I decided to post a picture of nine puntodorado clones right after I got them into the flower tent. Six of the clones had rooted; I'm hoping the other three that I put into flower will root directly into the coco coir/perlite growing media. I still have ten seed plants in veg, and will cut some more clones in a week or two. One of the cuts (#3) did not root and the cutting was looking pretty sad so it didn't make it into the tent this round. Ironically, #3 is the seed plant that has the unique chocolate stem rub aroma, which intrigues me, so I'm going to keep it in veg and run it next round (in September, lol).

Grow setup will be my usual, 4x4 tent, 2-gallon hempy buckets, Jack's 3-2-1 diluted down to about 600 ppm and fed at a target pH of 6.2. Lights are 640 W of LED COBs, half 3000K and half 3500K, plus 12 W of far red for 15 minutes every day after lights out. Starting out under 12/12, will dial back to 11/13 in about 4 weeks, then to 10/14 4 weeks after that. Even though I've vowed not to attempt more than six sativas in a 4x4 tent, I'm starting with nine because I hope to find a male or two and I'll probably cull a couple plants with intersex issues. Hopefully I can take 4-6 girls all the way to the finish line.

I have a plan to control the stretch, which I expect to be severe with these landrace sativas. Based on past experience growing landrace sativas indoors, they will stretch for at least six weeks. The lights are currently set 20" above the canopy. As the canopy rises, so will the lights. Figuring on 1 to 2 inches of growth per day, in about 2-3 weeks the plants will be ~16" tall and the lights will be 36" above the top of the soil. I'll keep the lights there for a couple weeks and let the plants grow up through them. The plants should slow down a lot when they are about 10-12" above the lights, or about 46-48" tall. At that point I expect I'll be in week 4 or 5 of the stretch, with only another week or two of stretching left. I'll move the lights to their uppermost position, giving about 10-15" of space between the canopy and the lights. I'll train the colas horizontally and let them stretch the rest of the way. That (along with using 2-gallon pots) worked well for my last landrace grow, and hopefully it will work this time also. To alleviate crowding, I'm also planning to prune the lowest branches to keep the plants from spreading too wide.

puntodorado_F0.jpg

Last edited:
In my growing experience, landrace sativa strains have far less stench than Afghani or indica landraces or several modern hybrids. In particular these were all low odor 'pure' landrace strains for me growing here in the past few years: VietNam Black, Lebanese Red, Colombian Gold, Punto Rojo, Morelos Mexican, & Durban Poison. Also Jack Herer was pretty low odor. A moderate 'odor' strain that I find very pleasing and appealing is Maui Waui. MW is the best smelling strain that I have ever grown. Just the smell of that stuff is addictive with the terpene profile. When growing and curing it is divine. Then there are heirlooms and modern hybrids that reek, like Granddaddy Purple, Cheese, OG Kush (any strain), Chemdog/Diesel, Cherry Pie, Afghani, and most skunks.

Very interested in the search for punto rojo! My sister was in the southern part of mexico near the Belize boarder for a few weeks last year. She brought me back ~10 seeds from some "not good" smoke that she found down there in the in the Yucutan. I popped one, turned out to be female and looks a lot like Oaxacan gold or some of the central american landraces. I was considering doing a grow journal on this plant. I'm excited about these particularly because from what I've read, most of the native genetics from mexico have been hybridized and are getting harder to find and this small female looks to be pure sativa indicating less chance of hybridization.

I've gotten big into landraces in the past year. I just got manipur recently, supposed to be a "divine" sativa...one of the next on my list!

ezgif-7-eb94c7793477.jpg
(Acquired near Lake Bacalar, Quintana Roo, Mexico)

Last edited:
Some southern Mexico strains are still available locally, but they are rare. Most of the old SW Mexico strains have been bred with newer hybrids, quite on purpose. After a century of growing the SW Mexico landrace growers and hippie buyers/importers of those strains were wiped out by the DEA Paraquat spraying in the later 1970s. For a brief time after that the hippies backed growers farther inland in states like Morelos using original local landrace sativa genetics. During that time (1977 to about 1980) some really good sinsemilla was coming up from Mexico. It was typically lime green and manicured like mo other weed I have seen before or since. After that the hippies left Mexico and moved growing to Northern California (the Emerald Triangle). The cartels then took over growing in Mexico, as they had long since done in Colombia. The cartels "moved" growing in Mexico to the northern states. They also used Dutch and Northern California genetics for growing that weed.

In the Yucatan there were several landrace strains. I forget the names of them off the top of my head. Nicaragua, Guatemala and Honduras had their own landraces that were similar. They were not like the Panama or Colombian strains. Belize had some really good landrace weed up to the early 1980s when the DEA busted that Kentucky import operation (the so called Cornbread Mafia).

Last edited:
Back