Search for Punto Rojo

Very nice! Thank-you for sharing this with us all. Its amazing to see these awesome old school lines being grown. Just awesome!!!! Sensient

Thanks for the props, gentlemen.

Six females and zero males. So much for finding a punto rojo stud this round. I will make some PR x (PR x mangobiche) seeds however.

~ 5 weeks

I may have successfully managed the stretch of these sativas. I bent over the tops of the three tallest plants (#1-3) and set the lights at max headroom. I now have over a foot of space above the canopy, with probably only another week or so of stretch. PR #5 looks like an imposter with really wide leaves and signs of underfeeding, versus all the sativa girls who are happy with the 20% diluted Jack's 321 formula I've been using. Most likely some cripi genes there.
If things get too tight in the tent that plant will get culled. I'm also keeping a sharp eye out for bananas as the buds begin to develop.

TLT_PR_at_5_weeks.jpg

~ 8 weeks

Eight weeks into 12/12 on my TLT Punto Rojo grow. Around week 7 I discovered that PR6 had gone hermaphroditic in a big way, so she/he was culled.

PR6_herm_week_8.jpg

Then a few days later PR4 suffered the same fate. So I got 0/6 males and 2/6 hermaphrodites, with ~10 weeks of flowering to go.

PR4_herm_week_8.jpg

PR1, the most vigorous plant and the one with chubby leaves in veg that I suspected of having skunk genes. She's showing the classic sativa Christmas tree structure and classic whispy sativa buds, so I guess she's legit. Not much in the way of smells developing yet.

PR1_F56.jpg

PR1_cola_F56.jpg

PR2 will most likely be the keeper if she remains sexually stable. Skinniest leaves in veg and flower with that slight arcing droopiness that suggests to me a highland sativa, showing much more resin and aroma than the other plants. Smells are primarily pine and lime/floral. My best guess is 18 weeks for this girl.

PR2_F56.jpg

PR2_cola_F56.jpg

PR3 is the bushy one that looks like it will have a poor calyx/leaf ratio. Smells and resin haven't really developed well yet.

PR3_F56.jpg

PR3_cola_F56.jpg

PR5 isn't doing anything to catch my attention. Similar to PR1 and PR3, she hasn't made much resin or odor yet.

PR5_F56.jpg

PR5_cola_F56.jpg

~ 11 weeks

A couple cola pics of two of the four TLT Punto Rojo girls in my tent at 11 weeks. I reduced the light cycle to 11/13 a couple weeks ago and will probably go to 10/14 soon. The plants are doing fine despite me letting the pH get a bit too high for a while.

PR2 is still the best plant of the bunch, by a significant margin IMO. Beautiful sativa colas developing and swelling, with lots of creamy white pistils. Aromas are pine and lemon, with a slight floral background. I expect this plant will go at least 18 weeks. She's seeded up with pollen so I'll have PR x (PR x MB), PR x Angel's Breathe, and PR x Grail Widow seeds to play with.

PR2_cola_F75.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised a week or two ago that PR5 had developed gorgeous red pistils at the tips of its colas, so this plant seems to be an aptly named red-pointed punto rojo. PR5 is otherwise unremarkable, like PR3, with small buds, low calyx/leaf ratio, and faint aromas. Maybe 20 weeks?

PR5_cola_F75.jpg

Thanks Fish. I'm hoping PR2 gives me long colas comprised of calyx-wide little dreadlocks arranged in a ropey/moppy form.

It appears that the 18-month old AB1 pollen I kept in the freezer remains viable, as the PR x AB seeds are developing nicely. The PR x AB cross is going to be fun to play with, because I feel like the AB1 male played a big role in bringing the piney-lemon terps to the keeper AB F2, so pairing it to a quality punto rojo landrace should make for some primo weed! This assumes, of course, that PR2 smokes as nice as she looks. :)

I'm starting to gear up for my next Punto Rojo grow and try yet another PR line. I sourced some BSC Punto Rojo seeds, collected in Colombia in 2004 by Aldo, Arjan's strain hunter. The BSC seeds have reportedly been kept frozen, and I was told to expect a 20-30% germ rate. I've been playing with worm bins for a few weeks now and have successfully germinated a test batch of fresh hermie seeds in the fresh castings. So hopefully fresh worm castings can help me get a few plants, which I'll veg outdoors this summer. If I have success getting the BSC PR seeds to germinate, I'll try another batch of the hippie seeds in worm castings.

wow

Growing up, I was taught to keep quiet when "big people" are talking. Lolz.
I am so blessed to be in such a forum with all the back and forth between the Senior members, has been such a lesson on so many issues. I recently bought CBG the Durban Poison. With 16 weeks flower time, I am assuming its the real deal. Anyways, I m posting in order to tip my hat to YOU ALL !

Cheers

~ 12 weeks

Here are some pics of my TLT Punto Rojo plants and colas at 12 weeks. I let the pH in the res get too low and got some burned tips and lost a lot of fan leaves, but the calyxes and flowers still look good. Smells are complex, astringent, pine, citrus, floral, spice. PR#5 has kept the red pistils and looks pretty impressive.

PR1

PR1_F84.jpg

PR1_F84_cola.jpg

PR2

PR2_F84.jpg

PR2_cola_F84.jpg

PR3

PR3_F84.jpg

PR3_cola_F84.jpg

PR5

PR5_F84.jpg

PR5_cola_F84.jpg

I'm coming up on 14 weeks and will have another update soon.

ive got 3 PR plants going.
i got cuts off 2 of them so i just started flowering the originals a couple days ago.
the third is waiting to be cloned and then i can flower it.

I am envious of you guys! Sativas are pretty much what I grew up on. Dropped bag seeds i.e. Mexican, Columbian, in the canyons of San Diego in my early years. It was always a surprise to come back in the fall to see these towering giants. As I recall, we were always laughing on the stuff and constantly calling the radio stations. I am convinced that we made Easy Rider #1 on the radio stations in the San Diego area lol! It was a time of The Doors and Moody Blues! Hashish, Spanada and 'ludes. Heroin came to my neightborhood in late '68. I was a pot head and never shot the stuff, lost several friends to it...
Powdered donuts and chocolate milk in the early mornings- surfer life was so sweet back then and so was the ganja. If I only knew then what I know now lol.

1967 corvette.jpg
'67 Corvette. 427 cu in. 435 HP

Great stuff Marcus! Many thanks for keeping the light on for us brah!

Shaka
Mu

@Zimbo, thanks for the kind words at the top of the page. I hope your long-flowering Durban gives you the effect you seek!

@jack hairy, excellent! Whose punto rojo line are you running? Please post some pics as they develop.

Muchas gracias, Musashi. I also remember the sativas of yore, even though I grew up on the wrong coast for surfing and primo imported herb. That's the stuff I seek. Punto rojo seems to be the best place for me to continue my quest.

Speaking of which, I'm now a worm rancher and am using fresh worm castings as a germination medium for 15 punto rojo seeds from Luiz at BSC, and 15 old hippie stash seeds I recently popped. We'll see.

Last edited:
mine are cbg
those first two both look like males.
have to wait and see what the third is.
ill keep an eye on all of them though and see if they are stable.

~ 15 weeks

Here we are at 15 weeks of flower and things are getting interesting. I unfortunately got lazy, let the plants get too dry too often and the pH got quite low for a while so they're not as pretty as they could be.

PR2, the thin-leaved highland sativa looks like it's in senescence while it's also throwing new white or cream colored pistils. The bud sure looks nice, and the smells on this one are head and shoulders above and louder than the other plants. It started showing nanners on the older colas so I think it's about done; I think I'm going to chop this one at 16 or 17 weeks.

PR2_F107.jpg

PR2_apical_cola_F107.jpg

PR1 and PR3 are kind of boring, but PR5 is a red-pointed beauty queen, and her colas have been swelling in a most impressive manner. Still mostly pure white pistils; this one (and the other two) are going to go at least 20 weeks.

PR5_colas_F107.jpg

PR5_apical_cola_F107.jpg

They look nice.
it looks like all 3 PR i have are males.
i did notice one of them may be throwing some pistils too.
so i will try to make seeds from what i have.

I had some time last night to give these Colombian girls a good look. PR1 and PR3 both gave me a couple nanners, and I surely missed a few more. PR5 seems to be nanner free so far. PR2 was loaded with them, so she got the chop at 15.5 weeks. Smells on PR1,3 and 5 are still muted but developing, and certainly not the sweet floral pine lime that PR2 has exhibited, more pepper and spice and astringent. I staked and tied up the loose colas, took a shower, and went to see the GF who told me I smelled strongly of really good weed. So maybe the aromas are stronger than I thought...

Hola Amigo Pez,

I have been sampling some of the PR2 bud which was harvested at 15.5 weeks, and it's very good and potent weed. Two puffs and I'm set for a several hours. A little electric, a little dreamy. Soaring at times. Plant is still drying but odors are pronounced and wonderful, hazey pine, fuel, lime and pepper.

Almost at 19 weeks on the remaining three plants, which I will start to flush tonight. I think they're as ready as Colombians ever will be; despite the presence of a lot of white hairs, the buds are no longer noticeably swelling. Trichs are clear and cloudy, no amber in sight.

Aromas on the other three are very nice but much more subdued than PR2. Lots of nanners all over PR1 and PR3, but they don't seem to be throwing pollen. PR5, the red one, remains rock solid sexually. I have crossed her and PR2 to punto rojo x mangobiche, to Angel's Breathe, and to Grail Widow. I'd like to work the line of PR x (PRxMB) and select for quality of effect while also keeping the red pistils. PR5 really is a beaut.

They look nice.
it looks like all 3 PR i have are males.
i did notice one of them may be throwing some pistils too.
so i will try to make seeds from what i have.

JH, I overlooked your earlier post. I'd suggest/ask that you save sexually stable males and collect and freeze some pollen from them; maybe we can work out a trade? Believe it or not, at 19 weeks, I don't think it's too late to make seeds with these plants.

~ 20 weeks

We have reached the end of the road on this batch of punto rojo. I harvested the remaining three plants at 140 days, after 20 weeks of flowering. They could've easily gone another month...these Colombians just never want to finish. The smoke from 16-week PR#2 is powerful; it's curing nicely. That plant yielded 90 grams of dried bud, but there's a lot of seed in there.

A word or two about hermaphroditism in punto rojo: it happens, a lot. Only one of these six plants remained completely sexually stable - PR#5, the red-pointed one. Two went half male half female at 7 weeks, and three of the remaining four threw a lot of nanners in late flower, after about 12-14 weeks. It happens with wild landraces. That coupled with the rarity of males (I got zero) means that you'll need to run a lot of plants to find enough stable plants for breeding/preservation. But if you're breeding out intersex issues, is that preservation?

Here's some pics at harvest time.

PR1
PR1_F140.jpg

PR3
PR3_F140.jpg

PR3 cola
PR3_cola_F140_2_.jpg

PR5
PR5_F140.jpg

PR5 colas - she's a beaut!
PR5_cola2_F140.jpg

PR5_cola_F140.jpg

I'm really looking forward to smoking this herb. With smoke tests pending on three plants, I will say that the TLT Punto Rojo looks to me like the real McCoy, a pure Colombian sativa landrace. I'd run it again, and I probably will.

Nice bud

Strong work with that bud. Reminds me of musashi's Bob Marley quote ( if she's amazing she won't be easy, if she's easy she won't be amazing, if she's worth it you won't give up!:)

Wow Mark!!
#5 is a stone cold fox. Great work and tremendous patience. Impressive stuff man. Looking forward to your smoke reports!

Back