SCROG attempt, take two

Alaskanwild

So my last grow failed due to having to go out of town and not having a baby sitter for my girls, however I did get an introduction into building a small 3 gallon rope/wick feed system which might come in handy in the future. Its hard to believe its been almost a year, but life gets busy. Popped some of what was left of my original MNS Early Queen and had them vegging under my giant 200watt cfl for about a month in small rockwool cubes just keeping them alive until I could get fuel in my main veg/flower area (its been about 20-30 degrees F out for awhile now) but I was getting impatient and tested out how my grow box would maintain heat while the outside room temp averaged between 32-35F. 600W HPS with only a couple computer fans has maintained a nice 76-78 degrees so I decided to jump the gun and put my girls in a couple days ago. I'm still impressed with how the DWC just gives explosive growth I dont think I could use any other method.

Going to use this thread for a second try at a grow journal, hopefully will not disappoint this time :)

Pics of first day moved into DWC grow box

Attachments

• IMG_3708.JPG
    IMG_3708.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3709.JPG
    IMG_3709.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3710.JPG
    IMG_3710.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 24
After 24 hours in DWC growth is already apparent, roots were barely showing through the starter rockwool and now are already reaching through the 5" net pots to the resevoir

Attachments

• IMG_3711.JPG
    IMG_3711.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 21
I'll have to check your grow out Mr B. I'm actually using a trellis mesh I bought at the hydro store, I think it's designed more for vertical growth so I'll see how well it works. Probly will eventually build a custom one out of PVC with tighter squares cause what I'm using now has pretty big holes.

One thing that concerns me about this grow is that as temperatures outdoors drop, moisture buildup inside may become a problem, more so for the building structure than the plants. That's a big issue here in building design in the arctic areas if the world, I may need to install a small HVAC system next year

I think as they fill out and grow through and you have to space some under you'll find the spacing is fine, am using same size-ish net myself.

Everything looks good, they sure did explode over that 24 hours.

Hey Everybody,

I don't see an appropriate place to post this question but I'm looking for suggestions on what MNS strain to grow next, I understand EQ is not the most potent so I'd like to try something else in the future that does well indoors with high yields but more potent and sativa leaning, maybe something similar to Trainwreck with no more than 10 week flower

Any suggestions???

Its been 9 days in the DWC vegging, tops are reaching above the SCROG screen. I did a res/nute change today, bought a small submersable pump which made things a lot easier. Switched light/nute regime in flower cycle, added some Fox Farms Open Sesame to try for this grow (already been using FF Liquids trio so trying out their solubles) I heard this may cut down on the stretch so we'll see, I plan on weaving my scrog during the stretch, which last time was a good 2 feet. I'll post some more pics when theres something more to see :)

Just a little update, everythings doing good so far. Did a res change a couple days ago with open sesame again, not sure yet if its helping I'll have to go through my notes from my last grow to see at what week they started stretching since this stuff is supposed to help decrease that. I think I'll be able to start sexing soon from the looks of things.

Attachments

• 11-12-14-2.jpg
    11-12-14-2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 11
  • 11-12-14.jpg
    11-12-14.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the input Kanga :)

I think I'm leaning toward one of the Critical strains but again I'd like more potency, unfortunately a lot of the strain review sites are giving contradictory potency reviews (I think Leafly has given almost every strain I've researched at least 4 stars where other sites would give a 6/10 for example) . I think this site needs a separate section for smoke reports. What I really appreciate is the integrity of MNS breeding! I'm also looking at crossing My EQ with some of my freebies I have (Boss Hogg and some random Sativa House) or either Ordering Some AK47, Trainwreck or sour diesel. I could also expand my grow cab to 4x4 and scrogg some MNS supper silver too :)

Just a little pic update. It seems like the Open Sesame is doing what its supposed to, bud sites already appearing a little faster than normal and more of them, stretch seems a lot less than my last grow but there's still many more weeks to evaluate these additives, I also just bought some Beastie Bloomz and later will get the Cha Ching. I'm hoping I will still fill up my scrog screen, never used the Fox Farm solubles before and I may have not let everything veg out enough before adding the Open Sesame. Also got some Fox Farm Sledgehammer for my next res change, Ill see if this helps.

Attachments

• 11-15-14.jpg
    11-15-14.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 14
Bud sites forming, I would be a little more pleased with a fuller canopy but I jumped the gun on the open sesame. Just picked up some Beastie Bloomz and Cha Ching, gonna run some beastie probly in a few days.

Attachments

• 11-20-14-1.jpg
    11-20-14-1.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 11-20-14-2.jpg
    11-20-14-2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 7
I hate grow journals that end abruptly leaving the reader hanging so here goes...garage door got left open for almost 8 hours in below freezing temps, defying all logic the early queen seemed to survive these temps in their grow box (temps showing 33 degrees for lowest that day) I allowed a couple days of normal light schedule and flushed the resevoir with clean water, 3 days of darkness and the buds turned out not too bad with such drama occuring at the end. I had numbered the plants and made clones, plant number 4 having the most yield and best smell, I plan on propegating those genetics for next grow. Just harvested tonight so it will be some time before I will have a smoke report and yield per plant. I plan on getting a blockbuster hood for next grow and expanding my box to 4x4 for my next scrog.

I hate grow journals that end abruptly leaving the reader hanging so here goes...garage door got left open for almost 8 hours in below freezing temps, defying all logic the early queen seemed to survive these temps in their grow box (temps showing 33 degrees for lowest that day) I allowed a couple days of normal light schedule and flushed the resevoir with clean water, 3 days of darkness and the buds turned out not too bad with such drama occuring at the end. I had numbered the plants and made clones, plant number 4 having the most yield and best smell, I plan on propegating those genetics for next grow. Just harvested tonight so it will be some time before I will have a smoke report and yield per plant. I plan on getting a blockbuster hood for next grow and expanding my box to 4x4 for my next scrog.

The harvest...saved a bunch of secondary "popcorn" buds for some nice cannabutter. Photo of single bud not the best of all but I was busy and not very focused on taking pics

Attachments

• buds2.jpg
    buds2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 31
  • harvest.jpg
    harvest.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 14
took a smoke sample about 5 days ago for a quick test. used a cutting from 1 i decided was the least favorable and had a nice cerebral high for about 15 minutes and then a low level body stone not more than an hour, a little disappointing as this is what I experienced with the last batch that I bred and was full of seed so I was expecting much more from this sensimelia batch however I still have some curing to do and some more favorable genetics coming from one of the four plants that I hope will be a nice pheno to use next grow with the the clones I took, a lot of crystals, resin and highest yield of the four plants. I have two freebies from attitude that are "Boss Hog" from Cali Conection so I may pop these next to some of my clones from my best of this grow.

Hi mate. Pity none of the kangas are still around. They were both geat for this community. Yeah, quick dried bud ain't really something to go by. Not sure if you need all them additives either. What do you do for air exchange? Fresh air in and old air out will increase yield (temps permitting).

Your crop sure looks nice though I must say. Nice grow man ;)

Back