Rust Colored Spots

bombbudpuffa

Hello. I have 2 purple widows about a week and a half old. They are in a mix of peat moss, wormcastings and perlite. They are growing under about 220w of cfls. The temp stays anywhere from 75-80, the humidity is around 50 at all times. I have them in a 1ftx1ft area, surrounded in mylar. I had one show lil rust spots on it about 5 days ago. I thought I got water droplets on it and it burned it a lil but the problem is spreading. The second one started showing the same thing yesterday. Any suggestions as to what could cause this? Any help greatly appreciated...these are some beautiful plants(leaves look like purple candy) and I don't want them to die!!! These are probably the prettiest color of purp i've seen on cannabis, i'm going to buy a camera just for this grow!

help

hey dude i have some purple widow on the go and exactly the same problem happen when they hit 2 weeksa old with me,,,

anyways after some digging i found this this>>>>>

The following simplified key should help you diagnose nutritional problems. This key is based on the fact that some elements easily move from one leaf to another inside the plant, while others are immobile and some are intermediate.
· If an element is mobile (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, chlorine, sulfur), symptoms of its deficiency will be seen first in older lower leafs, because it will be shifted up into newer growth where it is most needed.
· If an element is immobile in the plant, symptoms of its deficiency will be seen first in the younger leaves because it cannot be drawn to where it is needed. Immobile elements include iron, calcium and boron.
· In Marijuana, old leaves have a natural tendency to turn yellow, dry up and wither away. This does not automatically mean the plants short on nitrogen. However, if the whole plant takes on a light-green to yellowish color that is most pronounced in its oldest leaves, it probably has a nitrogen deficiency.
· If the older leaves turn dark green and red or purple colors are seen in the veins, suspect a phosphorus deficiency
· If you see older leaves becoming mottled, turning yellow and curling their leaf edges upward, consider a magnesium shortage
· If older leaves are mottled, yellowing and have necrotic spots at the tips and between the veins, a lack of potassium is probably the problem

· If the dead spots are generalized over the plant and rapidly enlarging and the stalks have shortened internodes the plant could need zinc.
· If you see distortions at the tips or base of the upper, younger leaves, followed by terminal bud shriveling up, the plant has a calcium deficiency.
· If young leaves of the terminal bud turn bright green at the base and become twisted, suspect a boron deficiency. If the terminal bud turns warty and dies, you have too much boron.
· If younger leaves wilt permanently without spotting or yellowing, the problem could be a copper deficiency.
· If young leaves don’t wilt but turn yellow and show spots of dead tissue scattered over the leaf, the plant needs more manganese.
· If young leaves are light green and do not show dead spots, chances are the plant is short of sulfur.
· If young leaves start turning yellow and there are no dead spots present, a deficiency of iron should be suspected.

i ahve highlighted the 2 centencies i found helpfull...

i just gave them some nutes and wihin 3 days they had turned normal.. but just a taste of nutes nothing special...

hope that helps dude

Last edited:
Yup...helps alot. I was guessing mag def but after reading this I think it's potash! Wish I could give you some rep man:D !
hey dude i have some purple widow on the go and exactly the same problem happen when they hit 2 weeksa old with me,,,

anyways after some digging i found this this>>>>>

The following simplified key should help you diagnose nutritional problems. This key is based on the fact that some elements easily move from one leaf to another inside the plant, while others are immobile and some are intermediate.
· If an element is mobile (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, chlorine, sulfur), symptoms of its deficiency will be seen first in older lower leafs, because it will be shifted up into newer growth where it is most needed.
· If an element is immobile in the plant, symptoms of its deficiency will be seen first in the younger leaves because it cannot be drawn to where it is needed. Immobile elements include iron, calcium and boron.
· In Marijuana, old leaves have a natural tendency to turn yellow, dry up and wither away. This does not automatically mean the plants short on nitrogen. However, if the whole plant takes on a light-green to yellowish color that is most pronounced in its oldest leaves, it probably has a nitrogen deficiency.
· If the older leaves turn dark green and red or purple colors are seen in the veins, suspect a phosphorus deficiency
· If you see older leaves becoming mottled, turning yellow and curling their leaf edges upward, consider a magnesium shortage
· If older leaves are mottled, yellowing and have necrotic spots at the tips and between the veins, a lack of potassium is probably the problem

· If the dead spots are generalized over the plant and rapidly enlarging and the stalks have shortened internodes the plant could need zinc.
· If you see distortions at the tips or base of the upper, younger leaves, followed by terminal bud shriveling up, the plant has a calcium deficiency.
· If young leaves of the terminal bud turn bright green at the base and become twisted, suspect a boron deficiency. If the terminal bud turns warty and dies, you have too much boron.
· If younger leaves wilt permanently without spotting or yellowing, the problem could be a copper deficiency.
· If young leaves don’t wilt but turn yellow and show spots of dead tissue scattered over the leaf, the plant needs more manganese.
· If young leaves are light green and do not show dead spots, chances are the plant is short of sulfur.
· If young leaves start turning yellow and there are no dead spots present, a deficiency of iron should be suspected.

i ahve highlighted the 2 centencies i found helpfull...

i just gave them some nutes and wihin 3 days they had turned normal.. but just a taste of nutes nothing special...

hope that helps dude

Not even 2 weeks old and you see purple leaves with rust colored spots ?

Simple.
Overwatering and the PH is out of whack.

(and I didn't even have to type out 4 paragraphs)

lol first i ddnt type it out just simple copy n paste:p

but also i missread it aswell and was sure he said 2 and a half weeks lol

but it cleared mine up .ok and i can only advise on what helped me and what was wrong with mine lol

Not even 2 weeks old and you see purple leaves with rust colored spots ?

Simple.
Overwatering and the PH is out of whack.

(and I didn't even have to type out 4 paragraphs)
Lol...not a defficient purple(not a reddish purp but more of a neon purp, coolest color plants i've ever seen). The new leaves are purple(natural for this strain) then turn dark green after a few days. It's not overwatering, i've only watered it once(distilled, ph-6) since transplant(put jiffy cube in pot) and the leaves were already doing this before the watering. There's new growth and the ph from the runoff is anywhere fro 6.1 to 6.4 so I really don't think it's ph. I'm thinking potash, as i've eliminated every thing else and sometimes they need a lil bloom fert when they are young. If it was mag, this bad, the leaves would start tacoing on me. I'll recheck everything before giving it anything, though. Thanks guys!

At 2 weeks old there is NO deficiency.
Do not add anything, it doesn't need it.

No herb plant sprouts purple unless it is mistreated.

Pull it from your unwashed peat and put it in standard potting soil.
Testing runoff is never accurate.

Of course you can add every nute known to man and fry it even more.....but hey, what do I know eh ?

At 2 weeks old there is NO deficiency.
Do not add anything, it doesn't need it.

No herb plant sprouts purple unless it is mistreated.

Pull it from your unwashed peat and put it in standard potting soil.
Testing runoff is never accurate.

Of course you can add every nute known to man and fry it even more.....but hey, what do I know eh ?
Look...I know just a lil bit about growing:) . I am positive the color is natural. I have 2 of the same strain growing, along with 6 other(Blueberry, Afghani and Ak48)strains, the only ones showing color are the Purple Widow. Believe me...I haven't given these babies anything but distilled water:D , no nutes. They have already been put into larger containers, transplanted from the jiffy. I've run into ph probs, overfeeding, underfeeding, overwatering, underwatering and i've gotten this down to a science besides lil kinks here and there and this doesn't look like any of them."· If older leaves are mottled, yellowing and have necrotic spots at the tips and between the veins, a lack of potassium is probably the problem"-this is a right on descrip right here though. I'm sure you know what you're talking about and i'm not trying to sound ungrateful because i'm very grateful. I know not to give any nutes until around the 3rd week and then only give about an 8th strength and see how she takes. I wish I could take a pic but my cam is so crappy I doubt you could see the color. Oh well, i'll just monitor her, I just flushed her with ph balanced water. Thanks for the help! Btw, I wouldn't burn her...i would have used something very low in N and k and only gave her a small dose, organic products. This is funny, you guys make me feel like a beginner.

Last edited:
6.8 PH works for every strain I've ever run, in soil.
Most people will tell you to go higher or lower, but they almost always report problems.
Not every strain likes the same PH.
It's very common to have a slight higher or lower than normal PH and have it show as purple if too high and as necrotic tissue and yellow spots if too low.

I have yet to see peat come out of the package not needing washed to either correct the salinity or the PH.

99% of the troubles I see with plants are due to PH, of course PH locks out nutes if it's off....and everyone sees the obvious, but not the true underlying problem.
I've seen thousands of threads where people show a plant with what appears to be this or that deficiency, so they add what it looks to be lacking and it doesn't solve the problem.
Everyone will tell you to add something.....in reality it's almost always needing something removed :)
Like too much luvin.

6.8 PH works for every strain I've ever run, in soil.
Most people will tell you to go higher or lower, but they almost always report problems.
Not every strain likes the same PH.
It's very common to have a slight higher or lower than normal PH and have it show as purple if too high and as necrotic tissue and yellow spots if too low.

I have yet to see peat come out of the package not needing washed to either correct the salinity or the PH.

99% of the troubles I see with plants are due to PH, of course PH locks out nutes if it's off....and everyone sees the obvious, but not the true underlying problem.
I've seen thousands of threads where people show a plant with what appears to be this or that deficiency, so they add what it looks to be lacking and it doesn't solve the problem.
Everyone will tell you to add something.....in reality it's almost always needing something removed :)
Like too much luvin.
You're exactly right! So, hopefully, i'll see some improvement in the next day or so with the flush. Btw, when they were in the jiffy pellets, I gave them distilled water ph balaced at 6.1. I always do this with good results. Thanks so much for taking time out for the simple minded;) ...lol.

ok ermm well ok... without trying to sound funny or anything if u flush and it works out well and i8 added a little fert and it worked out well...

then it could deff be tha same as what i posted...

just differant soultions for the same problem...

i will admit i am a new grower and adding nutes soo young is prob wrong but my plants was over 2 and a half weeks b4 it was as bad as u made out..i waited n waited it out n it got worse... but im using normal soil with no peat in it.. and too be honest its not the best kinda soil for the job.. so adding nutes for me was deff the right thing...

anyways either way hope they get better soon lol and least u should be sorted now dude:cool:

ok ermm well ok... without trying to sound funny or anything if u flush and it works out well and i8 added a little fert and it worked out well...

then it could deff be tha same as what i posted...

just differant soultions for the same problem...

i will admit i am a new grower and adding nutes soo young is prob wrong but my plants was over 2 and a half weeks b4 it was as bad as u made out..i waited n waited it out n it got worse... but im using normal soil with no peat in it.. and too be honest its not the best kinda soil for the job.. so adding nutes for me was deff the right thing...

anyways either way hope they get better soon lol and least u should be sorted now dude:cool:
No prob. I figured i'd flush them before giving them anything just to be positively sure. I hate to kill any of my babies:( so i'm usually extra careful. I'll see what happens and keep you guys posted so someone can be proven right...lol:D .

yo dude its not about being right or wrong m8 all what matters is they get better..... and aslong as u dont have to chop them up everything is dandy...plus i think we was both right just that maybe differant solution to the same problem....

u are using peat and i wasnt so that can also be too strong when they young... and i had been advised to avoid peat mixes... but every1 is differant n uses diff mediums... also ur plants where yonger than mine when it started.. which i ddnt c i thought it said 2 and a half weeks not 1 and a half....

but it dus sound very much like the potas aswell with the mottling, so when u flush it will be better then adding something....

my medium is just crap soil i got a lot of for little money... and when all my plants hit 2 weeks something has been wrong with all of them.... i use a lot of pearlite with them around 60 to 70% so it was deff the soil had run its course...

next time i give advice i will try to be more thoughtfull. and try to get more advice for the person im helping.. if that makes sense lol

mine are all in flower now and doing ok.. if i had a microscope or mag glass i be able to sex 5 outa 6 of them... and they only been in flower under a week...

but i havnt so i will have to wait a bit longer.... they groovey looking plants n i got a thread on hg420 i will add some more picks later today if u wanna have a nosey... mine are all only small just 3 weeks veg then in to flower.. cos supposed to get real high if u veg longer.....

anyways gl m8 hope urs turn around for ya n grow into monsters lol

Last edited:
Hi bombbudpuffa,there is a hardwater thread, with a bit of info on organic and not using distilled water,might be of interest to you .peace

They Have Recovered...

But my new growth is still a light neon purple, not light green. After a few days they turn dark green. I'm still thinking it's the strain. Sorry for the crappy pics:eek: .

Attachments

• bud 007a.JPG
    bud 007a.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 12
  • bud 008.jpg
    bud 008.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 7
  • bud 009a.JPG
    bud 009a.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 7
Back