Root-bound males and autoflowering tendencies

Cheers Canna. Hoping someone using Aero pots can add a bit if it's worth keeping parents in them.
If they live up to expectation.
I noticed some thick felt bags with velcro on the sides at my local garden shop, I'm going to buy one for a mum to see how it goes.

Nope, nothing by federation in my wares, sorry.
I would highly recommend Pua Mohana for anything Hawaiian if that's what you are looking for. I have tried the Maui wowie and although not the most potent it was still exceptional smoke with one of the best flavors I've ever come across.

Steve is intentionally off the grid right now (you know how that goes in this biz).
The st3 stash I have isn't deep enough to share and I dont think it will ever be produced again (the original spg cuts have been lost unless some random soul out there still has it).

Steve's reachable.... not sure what you're referring to. He goes away from social media for a week or two at a time, no extended absences, but hes usually reachable via whatsapp or the like

Back to the topic of root-bound-induced autoflowering. Been thinking about this topic in light of another punto rojo run I'm gearing up for. My last PR run I had success controlling the height of the plants by keeping them in small (2-gallon) pots and letting them grow up through the lights during the stretch. Like Musashi, I dislike pruning and training because it makes it difficult to judge a plant's innate beauty and structure. These PR plants were all definitely root bound, probably by the third or fourth week of a six-week stretch; this is about when two of the plants went full-blown hermaphrodite on me. Only one of six PR plants that grow didn't display any intersex issues. So it appears that I have unwittingly discovered one fairly effective means of stress testing landrace sativas.

Any thoughts on how stress testing via root growth restriction compares to other means of stress testing?

I tend to think that anything threatening survival of the plant can trigger both intersex and autoflower production and that intersex in cannabis is more the rule than exception unless man puts his mitts on it. Then it messes with our desire to control.

Not really helpful, I am certain.

...Any thoughts on how stress testing via root growth restriction compares to other means of stress testing?...

I have stressed my plants in the past for many reasons mainly because of ignorance and neglect. Nutrient deficiency/toxicity stress, water, heat, wind, salt stress, root restriction/binding, pH, humidity, light- abiotic stresses as well as pests, virus, bacterial, i.e. biotic stresses.
I have found incredible plants that have survived the above. They include a MH IBL, an old Master Kush, even a stable Diesel. They are but memories now. They needed attention that was lacking on my part.

Some say, “Happy wife, happy life”
I’d like to suggest, “Happy roots-> happy shoots-> happy fruits

Shaka
Mu

Big Sur, I think you've gone and confused yourself.
I don't think you are shitting on me for keeping your world's best seed stash to yourself.

Reason I posted is I don't think that I am humping your leg.

I guess the bit where you signed off your last 500+ posts with a tag explaining you are a SEED TRADER, allowed me to believe you are a seed trader, OK , my bad there.
( you know, the tag which you've gone back and edited out of every comment in this thread )

And the bit where you manage to drop the fact that you have 150+ strain into almost every thread, I thought was self promotion.
I see now that it's just self absorption.

For one, I did not say that you were humping my leg. I said that everyone has been leg humping me for my gear. Which is true. I get lots and lots of emails requesting beans. All one billion self-absorbed strains. I do not know why you read that the way that you did. Also I did not edit out the last 500+ posts here... I merely changed my sig file. Anyone here can change that in one file. I merely changed my sig file and my avatar here. New Mandalorian theme. One click and they ALL change retroactively and in any future posts.

You did say, quote: "hang shit on people for inquiring about your stock." That means that I am hanging shit on people. Yes? Funny, you have posted here about outing people for not having the gear that they claim to have, and then you wonder why people like me post that we have the gear that we have, for validity sake. But whatever. I have no dog in this race. I do not make a living off of peddling Cannabis seeds. I post here for amusement, and to meet people like me with large seed collections. Which I have, and with whom I have traded. If that makes me self-absorbed, so be it. Zac Purple seeds and all.

Last edited:
Uhh,no.

Its VERY common for some of us old school growers to take a 10 year old mother (or father) and just pull the whole plant and soil from a container and a large pair of scissors and whack away at the rootball then put back into the container with some fresh soil.
(Over run sentance but wtf?).

I've been doing it since at least the 80's.
I still have a 27 year old bonzai'd mother chocolate thai that has been trimmed top AND bottom dozens of times.
I'm not the only one doing it....I'm sure you can find tons of howtos on it all over the interwebz.....clicky clicky.
You've got a 27 year old Thai? That's incredible man, thai is a sativa I'd like to grow for myself but all the scare stories about herms put me off.
I grow small indoor so waiting all that time to flower a Thai only for it to herm would devastate me, I'd love to see a picture of it if you wouldn't mind. Is she a stable Thai or a wild beast you have tamed?

Bong

Hey
Are they really that rare musashi?

Bong
Hey man.
There is a couple of different types of Thai, or there were, I don't know if what they r growing now isn't molested by modern genetics.
The low land late season type is probably related to laos n Vietnam.
The hill type is probably related to Burmese/yunaan type
That hill Thai has been kept in Canada for more than 30 years as Burmese/Burmese pure/Burmese Kush.
Quick enough maturing and tamable to indoor.
Not pure Thai, but got called *Mr highest* as a nickname
Don't worry about intersex either.

I'm wondering about Mu's cryptic comment n emoji combo too.
You could buy a tamed Thai from ace, but I don't think the effects are anything like the little Thai stick you got 40 years ago.

Nevs skunk has a low yielding pheno ( single strings of calyx, so 70's ) that apparently throws to hzA" Thai.
Uncomfortable levels of phychactivity for most users. Scary weed.

Ha! Can you tell that I don't care for either of those companies? Talk about hermis, never had a positive experience with either one of them. Nuff said.

🤙
Mu

Hey

Hey man.
There is a couple of different types of Thai, or there were, I don't know if what they r growing now isn't molested by modern genetics.
The low land late season type is probably related to laos n Vietnam.
The hill type is probably related to Burmese/yunaan type
That hill Thai has been kept in Canada for more than 30 years as Burmese/Burmese pure/Burmese Kush.
Quick enough maturing and tamable to indoor.
Not pure Thai, but got called *Mr highest* as a nickname
Don't worry about intersex either.

I'm wondering about Mu's cryptic comment n emoji combo too.
You could buy a tamed Thai from ace, but I don't think the effects are anything like the little Thai stick you got 40 years ago.

Nevs skunk has a low yielding pheno ( single strings of calyx, so 70's ) that apparently throws to hzA" Thai.
Uncomfortable levels of phychactivity for most users. Scary weed.
I had looked at ace seeds a few years ago but I had read about really bad Herm tendancies from their stock, I'm only 31 so I missed out on all the old haze or Thai stick that made the strains famous. (Not many sativas in n the UK these days too long to flower for most)

I have looked at the real seed company also and their landrace sativas, I've been tempted to try their Highland and mango Thai but again the Herm tendancies scare me lol from my reading it seems 90% or more of Thai are herms.

Man I wish I'd found this place 5 years ago when I was still gardening 😁

I had looked at ace seeds a few years ago but I had read about really bad Herm tendancies from their stock, I'm only 31 so I missed out on all the old haze or Thai stick that made the strains famous. (Not many sativas in n the UK these days too long to flower for most)

I have looked at the real seed company also and their landrace sativas, I've been tempted to try their Highland and mango Thai but again the Herm tendancies scare me lol from my reading it seems 90% or more of Thai are herms.

Man I wish I'd found this place 5 years ago when I was still gardening 😁

If you wished you found this place 5 years ago, when you were still gardening
No worries.
You're here now...
Start gardening again.

If you wished you found this place 5 years ago, when you were still gardening
No worries.
You're here now...
Start gardening again.
I've got 3 going now :) just what I had on hand
Nightmare og from sin city seeds
zurple punch
Mac (fem)
Just a quick run to get me some herb, next one I'm hoping to get some MNS beans to run when I learn a bit more about the best way to grow them :)

Bong

Just my opinion based on my experience growing weed since 1972, but I do not agree that root bound or root stressed plants bloom earlier or differently. As for "auto" or early blooming from cramped roots, I have not seen that. With landraces or with modern hybrids. From seed or from clones. Though I have never needed to clone males. I only grow standard photos. No autos or fems. I bonsai (root bind) my males as I do not need gobs of pollen. I size them up to 2 gallon pots max, whereas I size up females to 15 gallon pots. The males tend to start blooming slightly earlier than females, but that is the same with full size males which I have also grown in the ground in different years.

I have also seen claims that Mediterranean varieties like Lebanese red are "autos", or partial autos because they bloom earlier and finish in September. But that is not the case. They are true photos, and they just bloom with less decrease in day length. As opposed to say SE Asian or Colombian strains that bloom way later with a large decrease in day length. Either of these strains can be forced to bloom when light deprived. I have forced blooming with light dep for some decades now.

I have also found that bushy pinched/topped plants or bent stem plants will produce more weed than if they are left tall and slender. Many have noted this growing here in the west US, so it is a common commercial practice. Its an energy thing. More sunlight falls on a wider area. Simple physics. More sun, more sugars for the plant. The plants also stay more compact and easier to manage, spray and harvest. And here you have to keep home grows out of public sight, so tall plants are just not an option for many. I grow in greenhouses so I have to pinch my plants to keep them lower growing. Otherwise they get to 12 feet and become too hard to manage and they touch the greenhouse ceiling and rot from condenstation.

As for the "my way to the highway" posts here... get real. None of us is as smart as all of us. And there are many different methods to grow plants. If you think we are all as dumb as bags of rocks, you just sound like Mr Ego himself, Dave Watson. Seriously.
The thing I’m thinking is that it might be one way to stress the plant to test its tendency to herm. I am anti herm. If I breed with 2 females, I’m going to make sure to stress test them so they don’t herm.
As a nurseryman we cut roots and root prune all the time. Produces some beautiful trees.

OP here (me!) chiming in with yet another observation of males autoflowering when root bound. Of the six Angeldorado males I grew out last summer, I kept two of the best clones and let them go in my veg cabinet. One (the taller, more vigorous one) autflowered in a big way under a 16-hour light cycle when it was rootbound. The exhaust from my veg tent is (was) right next to the inlet to my flower tent. That pollen got everywhere and knocked up everything. So I have lots of new seeds to play with, LOL. The take-away: I've now had two males derived from Angel's Breathe stock autoflower under 16/8 when root bound. It is most definitely a thing.

The thing I’m thinking is that it might be one way to stress the plant to test its tendency to herm. I am anti herm. If I breed with 2 females, I’m going to make sure to stress test them so they don’t herm.
As a nurseryman we cut roots and root prune all the time. Produces some beautiful trees.

Well, in my experience, I have not observed bonsai Cannabis being stressed into blooming at different times, earlier or later than normal. Nor have I see that restricting pot size ever force sex changes. In either males or females. Or root pruning for that matter. I cut root balls with a knife when potting plants up to encourage more root growth. Weed and my nursery stock here. I typically restrict my males in 1 or at most 2 gallon pots every year. I do not need gobs of pollen. I have grown full size males and they will produce buckets of pollen. They bloom on schedule when pot bound. Typically they bloom a few weeks before the females of the same strain. I have also grown 1 foot females in 1 gallon pots (not desired, that just happened one year back in the late 1970s when we had a cool and wet summer here in Oregon at my dad's place) and they bloomed normally. No herms.

Last edited:
Back