ratio m/f

johnpeace

Hi, I've sexed 18 sharks and only got 2 females and one has albino leafs,always get 50/50 with usually a little more females i should have got 11 or 10 females but two i must have got the unlycky straw,temps 78/62 nite.I hope one if them us decent or my shark shock gig us a disaster,what would cause a high number of males .my mate bought a pack of femms and every one was male. I hope this is not the start of bad luck as I.always get 50/50 as I've started 40 odd NL5haze and doors with 13 not rising .I m a vetran so no noobo mistakes .peace.

Hi JP, Let me join in asking the same question - i started a full pack (not shark)and got 2 females and 18 males using all same techniques that have resulted in normal gender results for years.

P77

Sex ratio has been likened to tossing a coin before - do it enough times and the average will be close to 50/50 but in 18 tosses it's not too unlikely that you may only get 2 heads. Take a picture of all the males and send it to Shanti - he may be able to do something to help you out when he's back.

In terms of the low germ rates - where were they purchased from? Direct from MNS should ensure you get fresh stock but third parties may be storing them too long (hence the cleaning lots at the auction noting slightly lower germ rates).

i have sprouted a whole pack of Critical Mass and got three girls one dwarf, whole pack of the The Doors 4 girls, other packs better the 8/10 girls. like Mark said toss of the coin.

One minute my tent was full of sharkys
Now two lonesome buddys left .first time since 80s never had 50/50 got to happen sometime.I use mns because its problem free.I've used dutch passion for years but switched when hermies kept appearing.some people want males I don't as big numbers gives me stress it may push me into the hands of the femm men .I'm going to give femms a go from a good company as numbers will get me jail so i want the most females i can get .peace

That´s bad luck jhonpeace, I put in september 8 sharks from the auctions and 50/50 and found a really good pheno.

Keep on planting, more seeds more chances. :)

i put 4 in outdoor last year they didnt finish here 55lat for me. But i have clones from 3 girls i got out of 4 seeds. Looks like i was lucky. ;)

Have you thought about how environmental issues in the early life of a plant (ie before pre- flowering shows) may influence sexual determination?

I know this rather flies in the face of the regular model of sexual determination solely through inheritance of chromosomes but IME it improves the m/f ratio.

Conditions which favour females-
Highish availability of nitrogen, low potassium
Highish humidity
Lowish temperature
Bluish light
Acidic-ish medium

Vice versa for males (ie high potassium low nitrogen etc).
Most importantly, stress will tend to result in a higher proportion of males.

Of course the conditions listed need to be in the ballpark for healthy plants in any case- for example if temps are too cold your seeds won't germ anyway.

I get around 2/3 females on average, sometimes it is a problem that there are no males to use for pollen..
Other growers I have talked to who use these factors to try to increase the ratio of females seem to get good results also.

Peat n Perlite is a good medium to germ into to favour female determination IMO..

I seem to average 2/3 or more females, but maybe I'm due for a lot of males soon, I don't know! ;) I thought I heard 60-70% females is the norm but maybe that wasn't true. peace

hello

FARMErGILES: I think the sex of the plant is already defined in the seed. ?
I saw that the company said it also dutch passion.
at the blue light and nitrogen. I do not see how we have more females if it is already in the graines. maybe I'm wrong. was someone we could be informed about a
thank you in advance
bye
chris
ps. again sorry for my english is not the translator apparently terrible

Last edited:
hello

FARMErGILES: I think the sex of the plant is already defined in the seed. ?
I saw that the company said it also dutch passion.
at the blue light and nitrogen. I do not see how we have more females if it is already in the graines. maybe I'm wrong. was someone we could be informed about a
thank you in advance
bye
chris
ps. again sorry for my english is not the translator apparently terrible

Hi chrisebasto.

Here is a quote from dutch passion's website-

From literature and our own findings it appears that the growth of a male or female plant from seed, except for the predisposition in the gender chromosomes, also depends on various environmental factors. The environmental factors that influence gender are:

• a higher nitrogen concentration will give more females.
• a higher potassium concentration will give more males.
• a higher humidity will give more females.
• a lower temperature will give more females.
• more blue light will give more females.
• Fewer hours of light will give more females.

It is important to start these changes at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks, before reverting to standard conditions.

Feminised seeds | Grow Info | Dutch Passion

:confused:
hello
yes I know this text.
but what I comprant if the seed is already female or male. I do not see how this plays?
it not change the sex
chris

They say the sex is not entirely decided in the seed.

The environment when the plants are young seems to make a difference to the m/f ratio.

It seems to work for me anyway :).

As far as the less hours of light thing goes it's difficult to tell, exactly, due to other environmental factors, BUT...

In my last two germination cycles I went from a high male count to a high female count. The 2 things that were different were my lighting schedule and genetics.
I rarely grow the same genetics twice, so I'll leave this part out of the equation, but, it very well could be a deciding factor in regular (not feminized) seeds.
My lighting (6500K T5s ONLY), however, went from the standard 18/6 (high males)to this 12/1 schedule I'm now using (high females). I can't say with any confidence that lighting IS the cause of the higher female counts but it seems to have made a difference at this point in time. I'll know more over the next couple years as I germinate more seeds under this, new to me, lighting schedule.

Sex, in cannabis, is not 100% predetermined by genetics. The proof, IMO, is hermaphrodism and nearly any cannabis plants ability to go into survival mode and change sex/throw nanners. It is a truly rare thing to find a female cannabis plant that refuses to throw nanners, IMO.

farmergiles said:
The environment when the plants are young seems to make a difference to the m/f ratio.
do a search for "epigenetics" for your answer chris. ;)

They say the sex is not entirely decided in the seed.

It seems to work for me anyway :).

I Agree It's In The Genes And Is Normally A 50/50 Male/Female Ratio.
I Have Often Had Higher Female Rate , And Having More Than 4 Males Is Highly Unusual.
On Two Occasions I Have Had 9 Females From 11 Seeds ( S.O.L - T.R.C )
But 6 To 7 Females Would Be The Norm.
I've Just Culled One Male Shark Shock Today ( First And Only Thus Far ).
JKP

Let's not forget our males have value

IMG_20130125_140954.jpg

The Doors x Nevilles Haze, CBD Critical Mass x Nevilles Haze. All sound like a breeze to find a Gem or two :D

Back