Q about curing

herb

Hi,
when your plants have had a nice slow dry and they're ready to go in the jars is it best to put the buds in as they are i.e- big buds still attatched to some stalk or would you say it's best to dis-mantle the buds into smaller buds?, i've always done the latter of the 2 but have seen pics on other forums e.t.c where they've put the big buds in still attatched to a little bit stalk, which method would you say is best?, peace, Herb

Hi herb

I take mine off the stem. The exception sometimes being the top 3-4 inches of the main cola where it becomes difficult to separate the individual buds. I usually keep the tops separate from lower buds too. I like to give my buds room to move around, jars never more than about half full until fully cured. I lay my jars on their side so as to give more air space to the buds. During the first few weeks I rotate the jars gently when i pop the lids. I've not had a mold problem yet....knock on wood.

SativaFan

It is also good to throw a silica moisture absorber baggy,(out of a shoe box)in ya jars,to keep things fresh,and mold free!

Here are what the buds off one of my ThaiTanics look like.

http://www.mrnice.nl/photos/data/500/medium/1227_ThaiTanic_buds.jpg

I cure mine in standard mason jars. After drying to about 30% of green, chopped weight, I put in jars. I fill jars about 1/2 full and lay on side in a dark cool place. Humidity in my apartment rarely goes over 50% in winter due to electric strip heat. I pop the jars 1-2 times daily for a week or two. After that they seem to be fine. The ThaiTanic and Satori dried much quicker than my Ice or Aurora Indica since the sativa hybrid buds are much less dense.

http://www.mrnice.nl/photos/data/500/medium/1227_Thai_jar.jpg

They both smoke OK, but weren't what I was looking for in a sativa hybrid. Maybe I just got the more indica phenos. Both smoke about like the Ice and AI for me. You'll just have to see how you like them.

The ThaiTanic were all branchy phenos with buds from top to bottom. I did very little trimming. Really nice looking plants and not real fussy IMO.

SativaFan

Looks like things turned out fairly well for you Sativafan, I would highly recommend you acquire some Mango Haze if you're a sativa fan.

try this it works

my mate a fellow grower who chopped his 20 critical mass plants 2 weeks ago drys like this.

i did say i wouldnt try as its too risky mold wise:eek:

but the proofs in the pudding it works.

he chops whole plants trims them all up still as a whole plant then he hangs then on a metal coat hanger and places a black dustbin bag completely over the whole plant with the open end facing downwards.

he then suspends the coat hanger high up in his flower room and aims a 5-6" clip on deskfan upwards into the black plastic bag.

due to his flower room having fresh air circulation via rvk inline fan and temps being about 70f constantly give or take a few degrees.

anyway in 3 days they were dry and smoothest smoking buds ive tasted-yes smooth and stoned me immediately.

this is in 3 days flat dry/cured.no chloro taste at all

now 2 weeks later no differance in taste of actual same buds i have stored in mason jars.

i didnt believe it until i saw for myself.

i witnessed him chop plants and was present also whilst he trimmed them up and 3 days later i had some myself.

pkj

Back