Phenos of the BW

MrGrulla

I've read and read for months before popping these seeds and honestly I'm surprised there is not more information or discussion about the phenotypes for BW, especially here on the strain base of the forum operated by the creator for these particular seeds.

Started 3 of 10 seeds in rapid rooters without any scuffing or soaking and expected them to take a few days to reach the surface. Within 3 days they were over an inch tall.

At day 12 there is an obvious difference with two plants having longer, thin leaves with greater definition of the sharp serrations along the leaf edge and a purplish stalk. The third plant also has the purplish stalk, but is about an inch shorter with broader leaves that have more of a rounded serration along the leaf edge.

Granted its early, and one would naturally assume the difference is attributed to the sativa pheno having the longer slender leaves and the indica pheno having the broader leaves.

Many other traits will show as the plants grow and I expect they will all three turn out to have their own great qualities, but my question is which pheno is preferred by the readers of this forum and why?

Good luck with your Widows McGrulla :)

Funny that you wondered this out loud, cause today I was wondering why Shanti doesn't weigh in more on his selections from his commercially available seeds. I understand him not wanting to describe his parent plants, but I thought it would be cool if he occasionally threw out a - "Hey, look for this smell...or the longer flowering pheno...". What I convinced myself is that he probably doesn't want the people who buy the seeds to go 'looking' for the pheno he likes and miss phenos that the individual consumer may potentially like more.

The beans that I've gotten to know the best are SSH and Shit, and I haven't found a female (minus one mutant ssh that I didn't finish) that I didn't like.

A buddy of mine ran a half of a pack of these, got 4 girls. All 4 indica leaning/dominant hybrids. 2 were foul/fueley, and 2 were orangey. The orangey plants were the winners IMO, but I didn't grow them. One plant was sweet/skittles orange, and the other one SCREAMED orange scented marker.

I'm smokin on some LN x Shits, and I'm getting some heavy flavors that I'm not familiar with in either the LN female or the Shits, so I'm figguring it comes from the widow end of things. Musky rotten fruit maybe?

EDIT - I'm lying. I have seen more MasterKaze plants than SSH. Liked em enough to go ahead and order me another pack! :D

Last edited:
Hey brother...

I got 8 for 10. Issues with plant numbers, and thought I can hopefully score another pack in the future... so ran 8, selected 2, ran those and let them pass. I am an idiot of letting them go... they were one of those ones that I could not comprehend at the time.

These two I found were the longest flowering, and the biggest yielding. Bud were still putting on weight at 8 weeks for me till I chopped them around 75 to 80 days on second run.

Smoke wise especially tasty. High was up and then stone creeps in... complex flavours and fragrance. That is what this plant is to me. All flavour appealilng, and there were some phenos' that had the flavour but not as developed or well rounded as my two keepers. Especially nice when you walk into a room with a BW session taking place... Hard to put a finger on flavor wheel, but very spicey pine, with citrus tones and some underlying bouquets of fresh tropical flowers, though I can not tell you exactly what kind of flowers... it is unlike anything else I have every smoked... inhale, expansion and exhale all had different taste that all combined really great.

I also found some people really loved BW while others did not care for it. I also found ladies love to smoke this plant... I have no clue why.

Potency was really strong. I dont know what kind of indian indica is used but she adds the low end theory to a t. I guess I enjoy plants with stone, but more sat high, so I would personally select to the Brazilian side. I like to smoke and be happy, not lethargic and lazy... as I do not use marijuana for pain, or other conditions.

As to how many combinations can be found, I have not run enough seeds to share with you. Though I am working with CW now, so maybe some more BW memories will be triggered by CW phenos. At least the stronger characteristics of BW as it relates to CW combinations.

You made me realize that I need to get these again because it seems that Shanti is crossing to other things. Might be a day were straight up bw is not offered any more...

Good luck on your grow Mr.Grulla and thanks for helping me learn something about my BW grow... albeit almost 2 years later, lol.

One,

Chana

EDIT:

Also deducted that the fabled white pheno is not so fabled. If I run them again, and if I may share to hassen the whitness by changing your light cycle to get them to frost up like pictures in magazines... i.e. 12/12 to 11/13 to 10/14, etc, until you can trigger your plants tricomb threashold...word!

Last edited:
howdy mns how you do?

much respect and thank to total to share opinion and help

am keen to inquire with respect to black widow and trait to bolt and show elongation within bud....not to trait entire plant....rather with respect to isolate flower and similar to opposite flower with relate to internode

such to express similar much sativa haze

positive vibration

I have one BW pheno that as mentioned above, goes longer. This one goes 12-13 weeks, is a huge yielder as far BW goes. Its clones root easily and it is more robust. It can handle ferts easier, where my other BWs burn. It's flowers aren't compact like the Indica leaning ones are. Not as much resin production either. Still a very good high, and I use it for rolling joints and giving them away. Not a lot of bag appeal. I'm torn on whether to keep this pheno or not. This is my second harvest, and first from clone. I may wait two more grows so I can compare my phenos better.

Indica dwarf fenotype

I had grow 6 female and 1 male Black Widow.

1 girl growed dawrf 50 cm long, with Indica phenotype and at 8 weeks 57 days it was ready to harvest.

Also it was hermafrodite but sterile without polen.

Is this normal with Black Widow seeds?
Here there are somo pictures attached to this message.

Attachments

• DSCN3784.jpg
    DSCN3784.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 343
  • DSCN3776x.jpg
    DSCN3776x.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN3763.jpg
    DSCN3763.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN3761.jpg
    DSCN3761.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN3760.jpg
    DSCN3760.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3759x.jpg
    DSCN3759x.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 152
phenos

I understand the phenos of a strain are somewhat different, but are they extremely different for Black Widow?

Of three BW plants, running in the same cabinet,all DWC, water temp 64 F, ambient air temp 79 F, using GH two part nutrients, RO water supplemented with cal/mag, 400 W MH, pH for all three vary from 5.9 to 6.3. Calibrated Hanna meter shows 980 ppm.

I see three drastically different plants, One is on the small side and just short of being lime green in color, plant number two is yellowing in the top but has been darker green through the first 4 weeks of veg, and plant number three is a MONSTER almost double in size of the other two plants and doesn't like the nitrogen at 980 ppm because it is curling under with ram's horn leaves.

Is this difference among three plants grown in the same conditions standard and across the board for phenos of other strains and you must "dial it in" for each plant or is this something that is more sensitive with the Black Widow? Its rather annoying, but I guess that is why people select one or two plants from ten seeds and clone those??

I did find some big differences between the widows I grew, some tight buds some looser fluffier more sativa buds, some nice in between. Some did like more feed than others. Probably the best thing to do with white widow is grow as many females as you can as the first 3 plants I smoked of it I didn't like at all, wasn't till the fourth or fifth plant I smoked that I found some more to my liking, my point is if I'd only grown 3 I would have chalked it up to a total loss but seeing more plants let me find something I liked much more. So I'd say if those 3 ladies don't do it for you don't get discouraged the next 3 may blow your mind. Good luck with your widows I hope you find one you like.

Black Widow fenotypes

I grew 6 females and 1 male from 7 seeds (100% germination)

1 female grew only 50cm long, more indica fenotipe and was hermafrodite harvested at 57 days (8 weeks)
1 female very vigorous 60% sativa/ 40% indica (Perhaps hybrid vigor) a lot of resin (Excelent plant) very high index of calyx/leaflets
1 very productive female also a lot os resin and high index of calyx/leaflets
2 females more sativas 75% Sativa / 25% indica with flufy buds and a low index on calyx/leaflets
1 female 60% sativa/40% indica with a high index of calyx/leaflets and a lot af resin but not much productive
1 male very vigorous and with very little odor

Cetainly this strain is not much homogeneus there are very big differences between plants. and there are some plant with very flufy buds.

I understand the phenos of a strain are somewhat different, but are they extremely different for Black Widow?

Of three BW plants, running in the same cabinet,all DWC, water temp 64 F, ambient air temp 79 F, using GH two part nutrients, RO water supplemented with cal/mag, 400 W MH, pH for all three vary from 5.9 to 6.3. Calibrated Hanna meter shows 980 ppm.

I see three drastically different plants, One is on the small side and just short of being lime green in color, plant number two is yellowing in the top but has been darker green through the first 4 weeks of veg, and plant number three is a MONSTER almost double in size of the other two plants and doesn't like the nitrogen at 980 ppm because it is curling under with ram's horn leaves.

Is this difference among three plants grown in the same conditions standard and across the board for phenos of other strains and you must "dial it in" for each plant or is this something that is more sensitive with the Black Widow? Its rather annoying, but I guess that is why people select one or two plants from ten seeds and clone those??

Last edited:
Hi tatewari1

I grew a pack of BW and all were compact and grew slow in veg. My keeper is a powerful dwarf that smells pleasantly fruity. Mostly in the head but also relaxing.

Phenos of BW

Question for those with experience on this strain. What number of leaves are seen on each of the fan leaves of the BW

Is it the "norm" to see 7 leaves on one plant(6 symmetrically spread with a small asymmetrically 7th leaf at the base of the fan) and nine symmetrically spread on another plant?

Does anyone have particular notes (i.e. potency, aroma, flowering time, etc.) on BW having either of these descriptions?

Question for those with experience on this strain. What number of leaves are seen on each of the fan leaves of the BW

Is it the "norm" to see 7 leaves on one plant(6 symmetrically spread with a small asymmetrically 7th leaf at the base of the fan) and nine symmetrically spread on another plant?

Does anyone have particular notes (i.e. potency, aroma, flowering time, etc.) on BW having either of these descriptions?

*BUMP*!

Good unanswered questions re the BW. Anyone? :confused:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nearly ANY strain can show this trait, IMO.

The differences in "GENOTYPE" (the exact genetic code of the individual plant) will determine the number of leaflets on each leaf.

BW Phenos - Scents

Almost a full 3 weeks into flowering and several plants already have buds covered in trich's even on the underside of fan leaves...but I haven't noticed ANY scent at all yet. Is this common for this strain?

re-ignite thread

Can we re-ignite this thread i have 2 BW going at the moment one was a tri leaf, one looks pure indica, the indica one is growing at a 2:1 ratio to anything else i have ever seen atm looks to be 4 weeks in at 2, i have 2 ssh aswell all bought as pick n mix and all female! pics to follow if anyone is listening...
grown in 2 parts enhanced top soil added hummus, 1 part compost, fish and bone, volcanic ash usually used for exfoliation, volcanic rock dust, worm casting and oyster shell, and insect droppings. in 1 gal air pots 12/12 from seed, 600w 12 spectrum boss led

Hi Tickly, im always keen for a show. I really like BW and have found some really nice examples. I have found that those with the spicy, bubblegummy tropical fruity aromas always come through with the effects. Careful with the fast grower don't let it get too big before flipping it. The sativa leaners can quickly overgrow a space.

And OMG she plays well with others. I've enjoyed her variations in medicine man and la nina and continue to do so. The sat doms especially of the la nina variety are stellar in taste and effect. A thing of beauty I tell ya.

Cool runnin
M

For sure musashi, for me it really shines in Medicine man. I have found so many spectacular specimens in that line, truely outstanding, the whole package.
I have accumulated a heap of shark shock and mango widow, 100 of each, that I am really looking forward to working my way through. Any one have any tips on selecting in these lines?
In this age of OG, kush and cookie lines I feel like the widow lines have been completely underrated and or forgotten. For potency and quality of effect I think that they are right up there with anything out there.

Thanks for your interest guys! :)
This is the indica leaning pheno, extremely aggressive growth pattern, very competitive for space/light, already smells of the nineties will take picture tomorrow all now fully flowering.

bought 4 singles all turned out to be females, the other pheno of BW was a tri-leaf, allot more sativa leaning, and closer to growth description, as this one will frost up and bulk up nearing end of flower.
The other fast pheno has bulked up from the get go as soon as the pistils began to show the calyxes began to swell....

plant already looking whit in areas, will upload pics tom in light hours

the 2 ssh i have are showing one is actually flowering the other hasn't stopped vegging yet... strange mix thinner sativa leaves on the faster growing pheno.

This BW is a beast began to show/ flower about 3 weeks ago will upload more pics tom.

Peace.

Last edited:
The tri leaf sativa dom pheno..

phenomenal branching on these tri-leafs i do suspect the air pots and medium do play a role, i have had a slight N deficiency in the fast flowering ssh same medium not air pot though which is interesting, have tried out a new supplement tonight organic fed frass bug manure will let you know if any reaction as an extra side note, more pics to follow tom.

Peace.

The small plant on the right was a blackberry from sativa seedbank, didn't grow, stayed miniature, very weird... Turned out to be a good thing as i was not expecting 4 girls.

:)

Last edited:
Back