outdoor strains

I don't have the money to try strain after strain. Have tried seeds from friends but you never know the genetics. Have tried clones, ordered seeds twice but haven't been happy with the results. The order I make will have to be something I will live with for a few years. I was hoping for some expert advice on what strains to avoid and what strains to try. Am counting on your expertise! I have to make this next seed order count.

Okay, maybe I am approaching this wrong. Can you tell me a list of strains to avoid? Strains that have proven to be a disappointment or are a waste of money? I don't care if they are high yield, long finishers or a divas. Looking for quality not necessarily the amount I can harvest. I don't care if they require a little extra work on my part. I have more time then money.

What do u like

I live in CO. I like to grow something different every year. Do u have experience growing. Growing outside? Some strains do well some not so well.

I live in CO. I like to grow something different every year. Do u have experience growing. Growing outside? Some strains do well some not so well.

I'm trying grape stomper this year.

I've got Early Skunk to try as an outdoor crop here in the mile high city... Haven't gotten to it yet. It's tricky here because the first freeze could come in September or on Halloween, just never know!

Stay Hazed,
Jake

I am very big fan of Early Haze from MNS. I looked for the perfect outdoor strain for my area at 37N latitude for a long time and found it with Early Haze.

It is not uniform, you will get a lot of variety and it will swing from super fast, kind of short, kind of dense afghan type bud all the way to super tall/lanky and will never finish, but the majority will finish around the middle of those two extremes and be something very special, not super dense so you don't have to worry about mold so much. All of it will be great smoke, Early Queen x Afghan/Haze.

I have personally grown this strain multiple times outdoors at 37N latitude and it has done well, and am growing it again this year.

Goodluck with what you choose and the grow.

I don't have the money to try strain after strain. Have tried seeds from friends but you never know the genetics. Have tried clones, ordered seeds twice but haven't been happy with the results. The order I make will have to be something I will live with for a few years. I was hoping for some expert advice on what strains to avoid and what strains to try. Am counting on your expertise! I have to make this next seed order count.

Short on cash the best thing to do buy Skunk NL5 maybe G13 genetics and breed with them you will not only climatize them but you can select for the best plants for yourself and you won't have to buy seeds every year.

Of course their are lots of other great genetics to work with but a good 98% of the current clone onlys are most likely genetics from Nevil, Dutch Passion has some Durban is pretty popular these days I imagine it's just a hybrid version. Does get a little expensive when you want genetics from all the greats though but just a Skunk hybrid you will probably be happy with it and the F2's.

The kind of high matters if you want haze high early skunk haze would be good. If you want strong Indica NL5 x Afghan would be nice to work with, keep the males separate for pollen collection if possible so you don't end up with more seeds than weed. You can just pollinate a single branch with a bag if you collect a little pollen indoors or a plot a good half mile away.

My main goal right now is preservation of genetics I'm making F2's of a lot of strains nothing too crazy 100 seed each will do I'm a little paranoid though with Sessions I was even worried when GW Pharmaceuticals just started.

Okay, maybe I am approaching this wrong. Can you tell me a list of strains to avoid? Strains that have proven to be a disappointment or are a waste of money? I don't care if they are high yield, long finishers or a divas. Looking for quality not necessarily the amount I can harvest. I don't care if they require a little extra work on my part. I have more time then money.

I don't know what you want to avoid everything I've grown from MNS has been pretty good I've tried a lot. But Neville's Haze and even SSH Mango Haze can take a long time to flower most hazes do you probably don't want even a 50% haze but Oregon has a little better climate than New England whole different hardiness zone than me

Hey Big Sur, I want to let you know that I've really enjoyed the content you've posted in this thread, and in others. Looks like we're about the same age, but grew up on different coasts. You enjoyed a much more robust weed scene in your youth than I did. Great to hear some background on Big Sur Holy Weed.

Thanks. I started to write a book about my crazy days in NorCal growing up around weed, but then I run into the likes of Dave Watson and all his fantasy tales posted in High Times and IcMag, and I figure why bother.

as a sativa fan and freak, i cant add much more useful info in here, other than the strain SAGE from thseeds (supposed to contain BSHW) , is special in the means that its different than other sativas, mostly haze versions, in and around europe / africa

its quality has a reasonable legitimacy, and is one of the strains i would grow over and over without a second thought, it is good, even that good, that the sour in sage n sour, is dragging down the quality of the cross to a "felt" skunk level, even their mother cut cant reach up into that league , and by league im talking C5 or A5 as a reference ... yep, that good it is

where is Joe, when you need him?

Ah, S.A.G.E. Now THAT is the Big Sur Holy sativa x Afghan (or African) indica cross. Many now seem to confuse it with the earlier BSHW. Supposedly the original SAGE strain is still being grown in and around coastal Monterey County. I knew some people in Pacific Valley (south of Big Sur) that were growing and crossing African indica with sativas in the late 1970s, and that is why I think that the A in SAGE is as likely to be for Africa as Afghan. The Pacific Valley seeds that I saved are marked "African hybrid." I did not hear of anything being called SAGE until way later. Nor did I hear of anything called Haze until 1982 or so in Gilroy when I bought a bag of local grown, "Purple Haze." All the Big Sur local stuff that I got, including Holy weed was just called "Big Sur" then.

I do not believe that there is any Haze genetics in SAGE. Many list it as having Haze genetics though, including Leafly (the propaganda factory of Dave Watson) and TH. Haze is a sativa mutt. In theory it is a South Mexico x 'lombo cross, re-crossed with 'lombo and then crossed with Thai. Then it was crossed with South Indian ganja, or (as some claim) a Jamaican sativa. Maybe both. I think it was ganja as there was some really really good Ganja in the Monterey Bay area in 1975. Best weed I ever smoked, actually. The ganja, not Haze. Haze to me is middle of the road weed. BSHW was/is a land race from Zacatecas, north Mexico. The simple first round sativa-indica crosses can be really quite good, like White/Black Widow, the many early skunk strains in NorCal, and SAGE.

Last edited:
I grew THSeeds SAGE for a couple of years in the very early noughties.
The blurb said Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium.!
Very nice it was too, Sandalwood aroma and heavy resin content.
Can't add any more, not grown outdoors since 1983.

I don't know what you want to avoid everything I've grown from MNS has been pretty good I've tried a lot. But Neville's Haze and even SSH Mango Haze can take a long time to flower most hazes do you probably don't want even a 50% haze but Oregon has a little better climate than New England whole different hardiness zone than me

I guess it didn't make myself clear. I don't have extra money to throw around. I have saved for a few years to make a seed purchase. Can only afford one shot at this and want to get that one shot right. I just wanted to know a good killer strain. What is a good all around smoke? Don't understand why people are so secretive about this kind of info.

I am very big fan of Early Haze from MNS. I looked for the perfect outdoor strain for my area at 37N latitude for a long time and found it with Early Haze.

It is not uniform, you will get a lot of variety and it will swing from super fast, kind of short, kind of dense afghan type bud all the way to super tall/lanky and will never finish, but the majority will finish around the middle of those two extremes and be something very special, not super dense so you don't have to worry about mold so much. All of it will be great smoke, Early Queen x Afghan/Haze.

I have personally grown this strain multiple times outdoors at 37N latitude and it has done well, and am growing it again this year.

Goodluck with what you choose and the grow.
I wrote this in this thread a few posts ago, and it was the most straightforward answer I could possibly give.

A very high quality, medium priced, great for outdoor variety from MNS. It is called Early Haze, and it has the growth characteristics I described above. The vast majority will finish on time outdoors with little mold, and it grows like a bloody champion because it is a 4 way hybrid, and the smoke is very unique, a mix of old cali fast finisher, skunk, afghan, and haze. I have personally grown it many times outdoors and am doing it again this year.

I highly recommmend it! This is the thread I did for the strain back in 2009 (OMG that was 8 fucking years ago LOLOL)
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/early-haze/2121-early-haze-outdoors.html

Goodluck with whatever strain you choose and the grow!

I have grown outside for over a decade. I can't afford to buy a strain that sucks. I have saved for a few years to make this purchase. I can't afford to try a new strain every year. Living on $483.35 a month. Making it stretch and all bills are covered but thanks to the government being so slow (deciding on SSI disability) looks like at least another year. Was just hoping someone would be nice enough to share info on this subject but some folks seem to be very tight lipped with this info. Guess people think if they recommend a strain everybody will buy those seeds and there won't be enough for them. LOL

I wrote this in this thread a few posts ago, and it was the most straightforward answer I could possibly give.

A very high quality, medium priced, great for outdoor variety from MNS. It is called Early Haze, and it has the growth characteristics I described above. The vast majority will finish on time outdoors with little mold, and it grows like a bloody champion because it is a 4 way hybrid, and the smoke is very unique, a mix of old cali fast finisher, skunk, afghan, and haze. I have personally grown it many times outdoors and am doing it again this year.

I highly recommmend it! This is the thread I did for the strain back in 2009 (OMG that was 8 fucking years ago LOLOL)
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/early-haze/2121-early-haze-outdoors.html

Goodluck with whatever strain you choose and the grow!

Thank you for sharing! :)

One thing that came to mind yesterday about this thread: if you are intending to grow a large batch of weed to keep for a longer period of time, then realize that the weed you grow and cure will change over time. It is dynamic, and not static. THC potency declines in weed at about 10% the first year, and around 8% the next. Also CBN increases as it is a cannabinoid made from metabolized (ripened) THC. CBN has more of a calming and dopey effect for me, but some sources say that CBN intensifies the THC effect, while others say it decreases the THC effect. Other sources say that CBN is non-psychoactive. My belief is that like CBD, CBN has a weak psychoactive effect and they both can dramatically affect other cannabinoids, especially THC. CBN binds with CB2 receptors and is anti-inflammatory.

That said my OG Kush from last year seems to be mellowing nicely. The CBN seems to be taking the edge off the THC. Or enhancing its effects. I will go smoke some more and see.

I used several top ten lists for selecting last and this year's grows.

One top ten list for weed sold in California is: Blue Dream, GSC, Sour Diesel, *OG Kush, Green Crack, Jack Herer, Skywalker OG, Bubba Kush, Fire OG, SFV OG. *To me, OG Kush, Bubba Kush, Fire OG and SFV OG are all just different cuts or S1/F1 and re-crossed seedlings of OG kush. Many recommend the Ghost or Tahoe cut of OG Kush as the best in that realm, though I head that pre '98 Bubba Kush is also a good one.

Another top ten list: Bruce Banner, OG Kush, THC Bomb, Auto Berry, AK-47, GDP, Ultra Lemon Haze, Blue Dream, White Widow, Pineapple Kush.

A more recent top ten outdoor grow list: OG Kush, Jock Horror, Purple Kush, Blueberry, Durban Poison, Wonder Woman, Neville's Haze, Jack Herer, Zensation, Khalifa Kush.

Another 2017 list is: Blueberry Widow, GSC, White Cookies, Neville's Haze, Purple Kush, Durban Poison, Jock Horror, Mazar, Wonder Woman, White Widow.

You can start to see that some lists have the same strains, and as such they tend to be the real winners in my book. Though growing is different than smoking, and they grow differently in different regions. And personal tastes and medical needs vary. You can also with the latest trends, or old school. I tend to go old school.

Last edited:
By the way: a place in Oregon City sells a lot of the strains listed above in the top ten lists as rooted female clones, and they are on Craigslist. Do a search on Portland CL for clones and Oregon City and you will see their large list of strains on a white board.

I would go with some of these rooted clones this late in the year here. You can also buy 4 different clones. And you will have an insto-presto weed garden.

Another strain list to consider:

The top 6 popular strains based on Leafly user ratings: Blue Dream, Sour Diesel, Girl Scout Cookies, Green Crack, OG Kush, and Granddaddy Purple.

Another strain list to consider:

The top 6 popular strains based on Leafly user ratings: Blue Dream, Sour Diesel, Girl Scout Cookies, Green Crack, OG Kush, and Granddaddy Purple.

Have a thin mint gsc growing right now. Hope she is a winner. Seems to like a dryer container then most but she is doing great outside in the sun. Do have one Clown Royal that is sort of deformed (some leaves are puckered) but the other 2 look great.

Back