Outdoor growing survey....

Thats what I'm talking 'bout. Awsome find thanx. Going to be looking into that in a couple days when I get some $.

You're Welcome :)
Can You Source Sunshine Mix (#3 or #4) ?
If You Can , It Makes A Great Base For Making Your Own Soil
Wormcastings , Bonemeal, Perlite , Etc Can Be Sourced From Local Nursery
Bad Back ? ; Rent A Cement Mixer For Half A Day;)

Paying £24.00 ( Thhe Cost Of A New Bulb ) Delivery For 100 Litres Of Soil Is Just Too Much I.M.O:mad:
Sure , I Love Allmix http://www.biobizz.nl
But Theres No " Magic" Ingredients In There.
There Are A Few Soil Mix Recipies Here On The Forums I Hope You Find Informative:)
Nothing Special About This Soil Here ( Taken Yesterday During Transplant )
It's Clover Brand Soil With 30% Perlite
JKP

Attachments

• 12-2010feb2010_0511(021).jpg
    12-2010feb2010_0511(021).jpg
    822.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 12-2010feb2010_0512(003).jpg
    12-2010feb2010_0512(003).jpg
    941.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 12-2010feb2010_0512(006).jpg
    12-2010feb2010_0512(006).jpg
    916 KB · Views: 12
Dont forget the wood ash, nice and light and plants love it. Also if you can get soft rock phosphate as it stays in the soil for about 3 years and you can mix it with the leaves...... Hows ya back feeling now with everybodies suggestions.:D

Hi Shanti,

I've been primarily an outdoor grower(haven't had a mentionable indoor yet) I've had a couple of attempts and some successes dating back maybe 20 years ago. I've grown in Asia, North America, and Europe in a number of different climates and habitats. In North America I've looked for marshes/swamps and utilized garbage cans so I wouldn't have to water filling these garbage cans with ProMix, composts, teas of compost, a variety of organic supplements such as Green sand, blood and bone meal, worm castings, etc. My composts were what I think gave bountiful yields however I may just be bat shit crazy. I had an idea that green compost was very important and would have a compost bin solely for garden waste (I try to grow as much of my food as possible in the garden), mushroom compost, and grass (cut with a non gas mower!) in plots where I didn't use green compost of this nature I found that the buds generally weren't as resinous, as potent, or as flavorful. It could very well just be that I gave more nutrients to the plants with the green compost giving them more opportunity than the ones without.

In Europe I lived near Stockholm, Sweden and for those who know good weed is hard to come by and most of it is hash imported from non hash smoking countries so you get a lot of soap bar and street hash. Also for those who know there's a lot of wild berries in sweden growing on the side of the roads, and there's some very good patches out in the bush. I took advantage of this and had never heard of such an act before I had done it. I would use the blackberry (and others) as cover for my cannabis plants so people wouldn't find them. I don't know what the areas are like today but then you could very likely come across my patches pick some blackberries and not know about my plants the blackberries were so thick and lush. I'd often times ruin clothes and get nasty scrapes crawling through these bushes. I had one spot that I always planted at also that was near a creek and very inaccessible for those just hiking or whatever business they may have. To the north was a very wet and marsh like area that had nothing to really see so I couldn't imagine someone just wandering through, to the east and south was thick thick brush, and to the south south west coming up to the south west west was some sort of rock face like a miniature cliffside. This was a very large plot but I wasn't greedy so I would plant maybe 40-60 plants but hundreds could be put in this area for sure.

In Asia it was a very different world. I've lived in Japan and Guam(technically USA but geographically it's in Asia) briefly and I believe they have the death penalty for dealing drugs as they have many issues. A gram of weed can go for as much as $100 since it's hard to find anyone willing to sell some and those who would want to probably don't have the contacts. I've known (of-not personally) that dealt firearms, methamphetamine, whatever else I really don't know as this isn't my world but if they had any pot it was under an oz and it would be worth $1500+. Naturally I feared for my life and never really did much outdoor growing other than one year (of my 2 or 3 years there off and on) a friend put up a 4x4' plywood board up in a tree where it could sit without any nails and planted 3 (?) skunk plants in it he would climb up every couple weeks to check on them also. I think this is the coolest technique for achieving success outdoors, although it would be rather hard to check on plants and harvest on a large scale it's brilliant for camouflage. I have other stories of growing in the jungle marshes but they're essentially the same as those in north america except instead of a trashbin we used rocks to get the plants out of the water we then put nylon ropes into the water and staked them so that they would stand up right. Built a little fence out of angle iron and burlap tarp and filled the enclosure with soil. This allowed for the marsh to feed the plants but took ages to set up.

Dont forget the wood ash, nice and light and plants love it. Also if you can get soft rock phosphate as it stays in the soil for about 3 years and you can mix it with the leaves...... Hows ya back feeling now with everybodies suggestions.:D

In Sweden we relied on wood to heat our home, to cook, to heat water for the tub and shower. We had electricity and a phone but I really liked to live old fashioned. I would scatter all the ash in my garden and in the compost really works wonderfully.

Hey Shanti

Shanti,

just moved to Sierras on 6 acres, 3500 ft put in the California legal limit numbers of G13/widow and Somas Amnesia Haze anyway I just got the plants in last week will the plants reach a decent size -can you give me an approximate idea -I remember living in the Valley putting late cxlones out June 21 summer solstice and they reached 6 ft (Buddhas Sister)

Bio Bizz Pre Mix Has All The Above, But If You Can Do It Yourself , All The Better :)
Joe:)

Hi All

thank you for the opinions and experience.I have posed this question on a few people over the years. Since my guerilla growing days were only in Australia in the 80s it seems the general practices have not really changed a great deal.The only real difference from then and now is sexing plants prior to planting or using clones of known females. The rest depends upon the animal / pest problem of the area you are in and whether you can use organic fertilizers or compost. No matter where you are doing this sort of grow, as far as I am concerned you all deserve every last gram that you get.The only things that are advantageous to me is the safety factor(no plants in your backyard...preferably on state forest or crown land) and the exercise you get making the plot and working it. Wow in the Uki State forest in NSW we use to tunnel through the lantana(a flowering plant native to South America-but a noxious weed that has taken over the forest in parts), then we would cut a circle of light and slowly claim a plot from working on our backs on the ground cutting lantana till we had light...then mulch everything organic and dig large holes usually adding basic slow release NPK . Water was gathered in small kids blow up wading pools that were dug into a catchment area...everything was used around the site.Considering we have alot of dangerous snakes most people would not find the way in to rabbit warren type plots all connected by tunneling under the lantana. Then the police began with thermal imagining and Operation Noah-a drug crusade for adventurous police so they got the chanceto use all their toys and trail bikes to bust a few hippy operations. Anyhow to this day I am sure things still work in something of a similar way but with the modern knowledge of agriculture as a basis...

Thanks everyone and to answer the sexing query, I would say most plants that grow outside will be triggered by the hours of darkness into flowering rather than anything else.If the plant strain is a little sensitive to light even full moon can slow down the change over of hormones from grow to flowering, that is why some do well once they begin to turn to flower and others get confused until it is really clear that dark is dark and light is light for them.

All the best Sb

Hey shanti ,, youll be pleased to know we are still burrowing through lantana tunnels down under ..
Lantana always grows in the full sun , has nitrogen fixing nodules and makes great mulch aswell ... what would a grower do without it ...

I guess what i do is much similar to what everyone has always done ,,, one thing i have changed is the hole digging .. i dig trenches nowdays .. they seem easier to feed and slow down soil loss due to errosion on slopes i garden on ..
I also take advantage of a dry time of year that most dont , a northern winter is still great for growing , lots of sun and quite hot days .. Strain research has allowed me to do this , i tried just about everything 10 yrs ago and out of them i found a few th at would flower at the right time for me and not reveg , even on our longest days ...
anyhows great thread and ill be reading more ...

Heres a few shots from the garden ,, its pretty late into the season in these pics and mostly only pure sativas stand , there are a few others however ..

Attachments

• P1012134.JPG
    P1012134.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P1012143.JPG
    P1012143.JPG
    762.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P1012145.JPG
    P1012145.JPG
    770.2 KB · Views: 42
So you get lantana in the tropics too Donald? Bastard plant, but one thing for sure is that lantana provides a great place to grow plants for the reasons you mentioned and also because the coppers who use aerial infra-red cameras to id cannabis plots - get confused as pot and lantana register the same colour under infra-red.

Nice garden mate, love the red soil and the plants look reminiscent of Hawaiian plots with - I can imagine - knockout pot.

I like to make sure my girls get early morning sun to burn off dew from the night before.I find this is key to mold free plants in late Oct..peace

such a cool thread as we make our way closer to the outdoor season in the northern hemesphire.

I know when I witnessed grows in South Africa and lived in small zulu settlements as a young run away white boy. Alot of traditional zulu growers used to dig deep cylyndrical holes about 8 inch wide and nearly 3 quarter of a meter deep and put Ash + charchoal from the fire mixed with the soil.. They did this as a witch doctor myth/spell and they used to say it kept the soil clean and free from pests..

The Zulu's are very earth bound people and believe that the harm of an animal in any way affects the natural chain reaction of cohabitation in our world - So a simple spell is often cast while the fire burns and is captured in the ashes..

urine of animals and humans was also left to help keep small deer and other plant eating animals away..

Please forgive me if this is not very informative info - I always find its good to share what you have rather then nothing at all..

Peace and light to all ..

There's a quote in this post that doesn't show up in the reply:

"When Africans ploughed the sacred and the ordinary grainfields, they never raked out the stumps of the previous year’s corn. They were ploughed under to feed the soil and keep it fertile. Many tribes practiced a strange ritual, especially during the winter, when they gathered all the left-overs from their meals in grass baskets every two or three days and took them to the cornfields where they were ceremonially buried. This was done while the fields were fallow and was called ‘feeding the grandmother’."

"Feeding the GRAND mother". That's cool. Thanks Doobz. :) Here's what I see when I turn in some kitchen scraps. Thank you too grandmother...

worm5.jpg

Back