Ortega s Book of infos

maxibiogreen

Hi everyone from MRN.

I ve bought a pack of Ortega from MRN hoping to find one or many good keeper/s.
This Nl1xNl5 cross interest me a lot and I was looking for such strain from a little while now. Shanti did it and I thank him for that.
I read many things (but not enough info about the strain) and it seems this peculiar strain is very sensitive so I figure I start this thread up to collect experiences and advices from all type of growers.

This thread is/should be informative and is in no way a place to bash each other or hate each other. All comments good or bad are welcome here as long as they are informative and that they can be usefull for the grower community wanting to try this variety or even inform themselves about it.

I will also start to post about my own experience with this variety in a couple of weeks or so when the grow room will be ready.
Technikly,, it should be interesting! Hopefuly I ll be followed by many in this adventure.;)

Last edited:
Since this variety seems to thrieve outdoor with no problem whatsoever (may be scorpion could share few of his pics with us here) I m gonna try to recreate an outdoor environment indoor.

The growing medium wich will be used for this batch of seeds is gonna be soil, all organic and made by myself.
I ll give you the exact receipe when I ll make it.
I should be able to use the water of my newly done well if the return of the analysis is acceptable but this should not be a problem and it should normally be as close as rain water as possible. If the analysis aren t good enough I will make up something to retreive enough rain water.
Finally i believe the switch from 18/6 to 12/12 can be harmful for this variety so I imagine to do this over a certain period of time, 1 hour less at the time.

For the rest I count on you people and do not hesitate to let me know what your thinkings are. :)

All the best from Max.

howdy maxibiogreen

am tickle pink to read you topic....much respect you approach with smile. :)

you mention interesting environment aspect with photoperiod....am much interest with you progress and discovery. certain you have much enjoyment with sail the unknown water. :)

perhap available for know more with origin the seed which make ortega?

am believe older seed stock from nevil receive shanti gentle and kind love hand selection....bring to MNS ortega. with not attach with previous ortega name, am simple for focus with: older seed stock from nevil with shanti selection = MNS ortega.

what am curious with many thing, however two aspect with similar thought at forefront.

with respect to seed population shanti select from nevil....am curious how specific seed population grow? light spectrum, intensity, photoperiod, this environment parameter. any additional information much benefit with respect to individual interest with journey of what now is know at MNS ortega, from untouch of human hand.

this bring with similar thought next curious thought....the seed population receive to nevil before make any selection....similar question to above. what environment parameter?

am curious trace back at origin more specific to simple afghan, however not displeased with information which unknown. not alway is every for be known immediately, a journey with one self.

am interest with discuss possible origin such highland versus lowland, perhap flower cluster density or color representation help for us? am uncertain.

much environment factor with consider pressure the variety experience....include with human factor.

thank you maxibiogreen....am appreciate you discussion.

positive vibration

I'll be checking this thread out.When time & $'s permit me to do so I will try these too, after I finish testing z-7 , & after I do a n.h run.
Im familiar with ,& am fond of nl.
This should be interesting!

p.s Im only familiar with the #5 , but still.

Last edited:
Finally i believe the switch from 18/6 to 12/12 can be harmful for this variety so I imagine to do this over a certain period of time, 1 hour less at the time

Good thinking. Most people, including myself, don't have patience to make the switch from a vegetative photoperiod to a flowering photoperiod a true "transition". Your findings could help us dial this strain in for indoor growers so I hope you follow through.

The very 1st grow log I read re Ortega had herm problems apparently caused by too close spacing in the garden and poor light penetration .

Makes sense to me- I've found that with pure indicas there can be herm problems resulting from the lower portion of the plant not getting enough light.
I've remedied this by trimming the lower part of the plant around onset of flowering. This probably increases yield anyway.

More open plant spacing would also help I'm sure.

Ortega; Probably my Fave MNS Grow

Starting With Seven Seeds I Was Blessed With Four Stubby Fat Females
I'd Love To Be Growing MNS In My Growroom Anyday
Highly Reccomended ( And Stable) Strain;)
JKP:)

Starting With Seven Seeds I Was Blessed With Four Stubby Fat Females
I'd Love To Be Growing MNS In My Growroom Anyday
Highly Reccomended ( And Stable) Strain;)
JKP:)

So it seems you ve al ready had experiences with Ortega,, It could be interesting to see some of these plants,, do you have pictures of this grow you re talking about Joe?.

First of all! Welcome around everyone!

Elmer, thank you for the links you ve given me and thx to everyone to be part of this soon to be adventure.

Now coming back to the ortega, I have to admit that she looks very "sensitive". I will have to be real careful with this lady.

Have a nice week end people and all the best.;)

So it seems you ve al ready had experiences with Ortega,, It could be interesting to see some of these plants,, do you have pictures of this grow you re talking about Joe?.

I Do:cool:
Check Out My Gallery , My Outdoor Threads And Also Strain Base
( Wish I Could Upload From Gallery Here @ MNS ; My Old P.C Has Upwards Of 10,000 Personal Images , And Its Bust:mad:
I Am Now Using The Mrs' Laptop
Bummer
JKP

G'Day Elmer b , And Thanks

:) " Community Spirit Working ":)
Nice One Elmer Bud .;)
I Saved Some Images From My Gallery , Including A Revegged One I Finished Not Long Ago.
Included With These Phenos Is A Prior Favorite ( 1st MNS Grow- 2007- MNS Shit )
Both U.K Friendly
JKP

Attachments

• 12-2010feb2010_1016_017_.jpg
    12-2010feb2010_1016_017_.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 254
  • April_1-_2011-_Ortega_Revegged_In_Bloom.jpg
    April_1-_2011-_Ortega_Revegged_In_Bloom.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 153
  • New_Dripper_System-_Ortega-Garland_Tray.jpg
    New_Dripper_System-_Ortega-Garland_Tray.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 50
  • ortega-october_18-_red_hairs.jpg
    ortega-october_18-_red_hairs.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Aug20-_Shit_Head.jpg
    Aug20-_Shit_Head.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 98

That s it,, I ve checked all possible ortega grows around here and in other places too.
I believe things have to be refine and more infos will have to be added. I do think that as an info thread it would be nice to add any new ortega grow in this thread so anyone started some of this variety feel free to use this thread as yours. As will all know it s al ready everyone s thread,,, it is then the last time I m saying it.

Coming back to my future grow. I m gonna add an other variety and only one and I have trouble choosing from my seed stock.

maxibiogreen-albums-ladies-max-picture6349-p8290060.jpg

maxibiogreen-albums-ladies-max-picture6350-p8290063.jpg

Some of these seeds are from MRN; Ortega, critical mass and ASH.
The ecsd x neville haze and sour larry x neville haze have been given to me by a friend using a lot of MRN genetics and doing a great job with it.
The rest is from me.
I m down to choose from three strains at the moment but it can still change.
the three chosen one are sour larry x nevil, ash and nl5 haze x mango.
I have great expectations from the nevlarry and I m sure the nl5 haze mango are gonna be great giant plants too.
My only problem is the growroom.
I ll be using 600 watts for the ortega and 600 watts for the other strain and no more,, So choosing is needed.
If you feel like giving your opinion just write what you think of and let me know

All the best.

PS: Nice work JKP.

Hey Maxi, nice thread you have going on over here.My whole grow life in the 90's was based off California Ortega.The pics in the earlier posts certainly look like the right stuff.I had a vial of seeds about 10 yrs ago and I dropped them into a concrete wall 8ft deep and they were gone for good.Great strain to put some time into.I'll be interested to see how things turn out.All my Mango X Mango cuts are thriving and the big plants are straight MNS.I'll work on my account over as I always have something from MNS in my garden...Chaco aka "Montoya" marijuana sheriff...:)

Hey Maxi, nice thread you have going on over here.My whole grow life in the 90's was based off California Ortega.The pics in the earlier posts certainly look like the right stuff.I had a vial of seeds about 10 yrs ago and I dropped them into a concrete wall 8ft deep and they were gone for good.Great strain to put some time into.I'll be interested to see how things turn out.All my Mango X Mango cuts are thriving and the big plants are straight MNS.I'll work on my account over as I always have something from MNS in my garden...Chaco aka "Montoya" marijuana sheriff...:)

Hi Chaco,
Welcom to MNS!

Lovin your hread over on ICmag (Nev's x Everything).
I even have some of your beans on the way to me (Chem's Sis and Coastal Collision) and am eagerly awaiting more to go up on seedbay (the ECSD and Larry crosses everyone else is waiting for.)

Great to have you here :D

ETA:
Be sure to check out the Holy Grail thread which is simultaneously some of the best and worst examples behavior from the membership here at MNS.

Last edited:

So you took the invitation ticket amigo C/Montoya. I can see The Ortega pulled you in also.
I believe I m gonna put 4 of your nevlarry and 4 nl5 haze x Mango in, I should statisticly end up with 2+2 females and will see from that point on. I hope I ll do as good with your seeds as you do with mind.
I m never gonna have enough lumens for them all.
This run should be fun.

Last edited:
My Nev's x Coastal Collision (ECSD x SFV OG bx1) and Nev's x Chem's Sister arrived today :D

Thanks mate

Since this variety seems to thrieve outdoor with no problem whatsoever (may be scorpion could share few of his pics with us here) I m gonna try to recreate an outdoor environment indoor.

The growing medium wich will be used for this batch of seeds is gonna be soil, all organic and made by myself.
I ll give you the exact receipe when I ll make it.
I should be able to use the water of my newly done well if the return of the analysis is acceptable but this should not be a problem and it should normally be as close as rain water as possible. If the analysis aren t good enough I will make up something to retreive enough rain water.
Finally i believe the switch from 18/6 to 12/12 can be harmful for this variety so I imagine to do this over a certain period of time, 1 hour less at the time.

For the rest I count on you people and do not hesitate to let me know what your thinkings are. :)

All the best from Max.
Hi Max,
a few questions for you,before I give a comment on Ortega.
1. what is the sq ft of your room?
2. what are the type and wattage of all lights used?
3. what is the maximum ambient temperature/humidity of your room.
4. ceiling to floor height?

Well Water is fine for plants if it is fine for human consumption,
one thing to watch for is Calcium Carbonate ,arsenic,heavy metals...
all of which can be removed or dramatically lowered with a quality carbon filter system or a compact RO system like the one I use.

MNS Ortega Indica has so far been a real pleasure to grow,
exceptional plants once a root ball is established
<THIS IS WHERE PEOPLE SCREW UP>
You are dealing with an Afghan Indica people!
STOP DROWNING the seedlings!
I bet at least as many seedling are root rotted than ever get grown to maturity.

Afghanistan is a dry desert climate,
not a tropical rain forest like Thailand or Columbia...
Remember this when growing Ortega/Nordle/Medman/Devil indoors.
once your seedlings have emerged...stop and think before watering that plant...
lift the pot,if it is heavy...leave it alone do not water.
Make the plant reach/search for the moisture and nutrient already in the soil.
put the planter in water catchments if they do not already have a water well under the pot.
Water from the bottom,let the plant suck up the moisture from the bottom.
This will guarantee a solid well established root ball...

Going into bloom.
IT DONT MATTER HOW YOU DO IT...
I usually go 18-6...transition with 24 lights off...then start up with 12on 12 off...
the plant will TRIGGER when it has recieved the right amount of darkness for that individual plant.
Ortega is very uniform and the seedlings look like clones
so hey Shantibaba did it right AGAIN.

Dont roast the seedling by placeing them took close to the lamp.
How close is too close?
Well place your hand under the lamp...you tell me how close is too close.
Common Sense is an amaizing thing !

If you go into your room and it is stuffy,damp,hot...
Then you have NO exhaust ventilation...Move the air .
A well designed grow room is a nice place to be on a hot day or a cold day .
if it is hot for you then it is hot for the plants too.

OK I guess that is all I will say,it should be plenty.
scorpion

spot on advice

Fantastic advice, Scorpion. Ace PCK shows the same thing...most of my seedlings from my first run were droopy and several were mutated, and it turns out it was because I pre-wet my perlite (anti-dust measure) before mixing w/ the soil, making an overly moist mix. After they got moved into dryer soil, they perked right up, and I found two absolutely stunning plants out of the pack. Needless to say, I'll be much better prepared for the next round.

I wonder how Ortega and other indicas do in hydro, and if there are any tips like Scorpion's excellent soil advice.

ESS

Back