Ortega: Indoor Grow Journal

Scrog i just have to compliment you on a wonderful thread, but most of all, on an absolutely outstanding grow report. It really struck a cord with me, you painted one hell of a picture my man, one HELL of a picture.

Brilliant

Fijian

Anyone got any ideas where the hermaphrodite trait comes from in this strain? Seems to have a genetic disposition for it as I've read of it occurring in quite a few grows. (Medince Man, Resinfinger, Joe King Park and myself)

I had 3 Ortegas Hermy and quite a few of Nl5 X Haze as well.Dont know why either,possibly Haze Male.

Scrog i just have to compliment you on a wonderful thread, but most of all, on an absolutely outstanding grow report. It really struck a cord with me, you painted one hell of a picture my man, one HELL of a picture.

Brilliant

Fijian

Thank you for complimenting my grow report. My purpose was to draw people into the experience and I'm glad it worked.

This is one of the best i have seen scrog. How did you find the smell was it quite week I have read northern lights dosnt smell much.

Hi All

nice thread and great report with excellent photos...this is top notch and interesting. Can i ask the ec and ph for the duration of flowering? Well done and all the best sb

Smells

This is one of the best i have seen scrog. How did you find the smell was it quite week I have read northern lights dosnt smell much.

Thanks for asking vandelay! You read correctly. My grow, at least, did not even require carbon filtered ventilation. I left it off for the entire grow (the filter). It did have a pretty weak smell until bumped later in flowering and then it smelled of a hodge-podge of berries.

Hey Scrog , great job on those ortegas ! This has to be one of my favorite threads.After I get Nevil Haze , I am purchaseing Ortega next.
Peace
One Cat

Hi All

nice thread and great report with excellent photos...this is top notch and interesting. Can i ask the ec and ph for the duration of flowering? Well done and all the best sb

Thanks for stopping by the thread Shanti. It was a pleasure to grow and did really well in my growing environment. I judged EC based on plant response and gradually increased as needed. My EC was always below 1 even at a maximum and I would feed once per week. My my feed watering pH ranged from 6-6.2 and my plain watering ranged from 6.5-7.2. This might not be ideal for some growing mediums but mine tends to get acidic towards the end of flowering so I try to prevent nutrient lockout by raising the pH of my regular watering. Considering a soil switch though as a recently had some pretty severe lockout out occur while growing some Black Widow.

Hey Scrog , great job on those ortegas ! This has to be one of my favorite threads.After I get Nevil Haze , I am purchaseing Ortega next.
Peace
One Cat

Thanks. I tried to get Nevilles Haze via the auction and they went above my price range:(

lol:) I was bidding on nh too ,I think my discount will make purchaseing it cheaper than others are willing to bid.

Very good setup there dude. keep such a nice thing going on. It would be very much helpful to the beginners like me. The setup youu have prepared here is quite inspiring the others to start such a stuff as the setup process is made quite easy here.

Last edited:
Thank God For Enzymes

Friday, Hyenas and the Cure for a Double Life​

It’s Friday and this is as good of a beginning as you’ll get to my tale. Some would say that Friday is hope. For those who live blue collar lives, no further explanation is needed. For those who don’t; let me try to clarify. Friday is like rain. It’s a day that can take your withered old soul and fill it with life again. It’s the beginning of your 2 day per week life as you dreamed it could be. Unfortunately, the world has grown cold and Friday has been calling in sick lately...fast forward.

Project timelines, hyenas laugh, expense reports, notebook audits, budget cuts, misery, design files and fakes smiles...fast forward. I could swear this tie is choking me. I loosen it but I still find a deep breath elusive. I talk 401(k)s, Jon Stewart, and the upcoming triathlon with my colleagues and it’s all I can do to keep up the façade that ensures my family the life I never had. Short of the excruciating pain, I imagine this to be like cancer...fast forward. The clock strikes five and I’m stuck in traffic...fast forward.

I take off my shoes and noose and sit down with the kids to hear about their day. Their love makes me better. The phone suddenly rings and it’s a bill collector reminding me to pay up for my son’s $1,200 dollar echocardiogram. I’ve had enough. This Friday is no friend of mine and I’m ready to fight.

I’ve been planning on this show down for months and my secret weapon is ready. It’s the fourth jar from the left. In this jar is a plant named Ortega. This particular plant is the 4th of 7 sisters that I had the pleasure of raising. She was not the smallest, but she was far from the largest. There were times when I didn’t give her the attention she deserved. Nevertheless, she would not relent. She continued to show her strength in spite of my neglect. For 63 days of her life, she flowered and to touch her was akin to filling the room with sweet floral life draped in ripe fruit. While she could and should have gone on longer, safety protocols called for an end to her mission.

For 2 months, she lay in darkness. And now on this day, this wretched Friday, it was time to release her. I open her jar and a wave of sweet peppermint candy hits me right in the face. I’ve never smelled a plant quite like her. Just her sent forces the corners of mouth upward. I hurriedly grind up a piece of her essence. In defiance, she releases the smell of musk and meat. Now, I’m worried and I wrap her in the comfort of an organic paper blanket. This returns her to a calm state and she accepts the finality of what she must do. I place her in my mouth and draw. By the gods, the taste remains; peppermint candy. Neither flame nor ash remove the flavor.

Ten minutes later I’m at the dinner table and one of my sons smiles at me with love so pure that only a child could know. He understands that my mind, body, and spirit have found peace. How, I don’t know, but the stuff that builds up on a man is gone. I can see the world again as it should be seen for the next 2 hours. I am relaxed and my mind swims in euphoria. It reminds me of an experience with another plant named Blueberry, but this is stronger...fast forward.

Streetlights glisten off the grass as the exodus of the day’s heat forces droplets of water to gather on each blade. It’s a perfect evening; one of those evenings you only experience a couple times each spring and autumn. I wish I could live forever in this moment. I need sleep though, and in spite of a wonderful evening, nagging aches and pains may make the transition difficult. I decide to have at it with another round of Ortega. It’s a heavy session and after 5 minutes I’m afraid her strength has waned. After 10 minutes, I stand corrected. I lay on the couch to enjoy and begin to melt. No sink. Like in a movie I’ve seen but just can’t place the name of it. It doesn’t matter. Thought quickly begins to swirl downward into the black whirlpool of sleep. Using every last ounce of will I have, I’m able to find bed. I don’t even notice the beautiful woman next to me. In my last moments, I vaguely remember thinking to myself “Life is good”. In that moment, there was no double life. No corporate hyenas. No noose. Just freedom. And with a smile on my face, I finally disappear.

Ortega Is My Fave. I've Grown It From Seed @ 12/12 Then Grew Outdoors And Harvested, Then Revegged Several Times And Retired The Following Year Outdoors.
Its A Hardy Plant And Consistantly Good.
Renaming Ortega As " Ol Faithful " Would'nt Go Amiss " Ortega Never Let You Down"
JKP

Attachments

• ortega-october_18-_red_hairs.jpg
    ortega-october_18-_red_hairs.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 113
  • April_1-_2011-_Ortega_Revegged_In_Bloom.jpg
    April_1-_2011-_Ortega_Revegged_In_Bloom.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 12-2010feb2010- MNS Ortega.jpg
    12-2010feb2010- MNS Ortega.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 80
  • New_Dripper_System-_Ortega-Garland_Tray.jpg
    New_Dripper_System-_Ortega-Garland_Tray.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 71
sigh

don't mean to bump unnecessarily, but I miss Scrog. I communicated with him a few times by PM back when he was still active. He was a gentleman and I looked forward to hearing more from him, but he hasn't been here for years.

I have wanted to grow Ortega for seven years, and today I got my beans from the MNS auctions, along with MH and SSH.

Scrog: if you ever see this, I hope all is well in your world. pm me here or on icmag!

Your friend,

vajra

I was looking at scrogs La Nina thread last night. Clean, easy to read and informative. It's a shame he had to go. Its people like this that makes MNS the place to be.

Hopefully we hear from Scrog again, and all the other valuable people that we have lost over the years.

Take it easy vajra

Back