Ortega F2s

Morphote

Now I know I should start this thread with pics but the reason I've opened this thread is to tell you that I have two words for the Ortega F2s I have going right now: STRAIGHT FUNK. I only have 4 of them and they are all approximately 1 foot tall and in 1 gallon containers, but man do these things stink. I remember the F1s had a pleasant odor to them. They smelled delicious. The F2s, in contrast, smell almost offensive. Before the trolls descend on this thread, I am by no means complaining. I rather enjoy it. I just didn't see it coming. Really excited to see what comes of these and certainly would recommend that you get a pack or two of Ortega and conduct your own open pollination.

M.

do you have any pic's of any ortega's I was curious about this one it's so hard to deceide which strain to start with im so confussed they all look remarkable but this one seemed to be a real potent one whats your opinion of ortega Id like to see a finished product

Hi Morphote, sounds interesting and I'll be curious to see how things pan out after the harvest.

Did you do any selection for the parents or just let everything you had open pollinate? If you did, what types did you omit and what did you keep?

Good luck with the rest of the grow and keep us posted.

I had pics but I decided not to post them, or if I did post them I think I deleted them. Not sure anymore. That was a while ago. My other thread "Herm City" details my experience with Ortega F1s. If you read through that thread, these F2s are from female #4 which was extremely resinous and potent.

M.

Can you describe the appearance of the f2 seed?
Mine look like Quail eggs,brown speckled seeds. No tiger stripes.

just curious if this holds true thruout the range or just in my seed.

ax

Did you do any selection for the parents or just let everything you had open pollinate? If you did, what types did you omit and what did you keep?

I kept all the females and only 1 male. Male was chosen based on odor and structure. He was short, stocky, with indica leaves. If I recall correctly he had resin on his fanleaves in veg. Beautiful plant. I planted the #4 to see if all my F2s are still viable. I can't wait to pop the #1, 3, and 5 (fantastic cannabis). Next time I run #4 seeds I'll also run the #6. Those two were plants with devastating effects.

M.

Straight Funk. .?

What do they smell like other than Straight funk ? straight funk sounds interesting ,

Well it's hard to describe. Another nose told me when just one of the plants was brushed up against it smelled like black pepper. My classification is a bit different. I've grown plants that smelled sweet, fruity, spicy, delicious, and/or dangerous. These plants smell dangerous (distinct dank, sharp, heavy, gnarly). I forgot to mention that none of them are flowering. All of them are in veg and typically if a plant smells like this in veg the bud is incredibly strong. The #4 was scary potent, and the male appeared 100% indica, and still I find the smell of these plants intimidating. The F1s I was not worried about, but the F2s are a different story. They are "I might need to get a carbon filter because people that come near my place will definitely smell this and know immediately that I'm growing" plants.

M.

Have you seen any hermies within the plants? I have 14 started about 2 weeks ago and have read a bit about hermies coming out as they age?

Saw several plants with intersex traits in the F1 generation. Not seeing this in the F2 generation. I have 4 plants: 2 males and 2 females. All plants under light stress. No sign of intersex traits. Anyone care to explain how this is possible? EDIT: Beautiful textbook indica males in both generations.

M.

Last edited:
Well making F3s is going to take quite a bit of time. I made several different batches of F2s. I take my recent findings (no intersex plants in the F2 generation) as a good sign, I just wish someone could explain to me how this is possible. Any sound scientific theories?

M.

That’s the thousand dollar question. Ah, the enigma of intersexed cannabis. I’ve heard markers on sex chromosomes, autosomal markers, combinations of both, etc, etc could be the cause of intersexed plants. Then there’s phenotypical expression, either caused by genotype and/or environmental stress factors. I don’t think it will be known until mapping is done. You may have just hit the right combos or it may not be presenting itself in this generation (the F2 plants you have). Take some cuts and stress test them if you plan on more breeding and are concerned.

It may also be the case that just the right buttons were pushed at just the right time to cause the parents to show (meaning the intersex whatever was triggered).

Not showing in the F2’s may be a good sign, in any event it sounds like you’ll get some fine sensi. 2 males and 2 females are a small sample though if you think there could be a problem. Did the original males show any intersex traits or just the females?

Probably not the sound scientific theories you were looking for but some thoughts.

Here’s another tidbit. I recall from somewhere that X and autosomal chromosomes recombine with each meiosis but Y and mitochondrial DNA does not. I think this was in reference to animals, not plants though, but may apply.

Yes I agree it is a small sample but it is surprising to me nonetheless. I think the mystery will be unraveled as I continue to pop F2s (each batch is done using a different F1 Ortega female but the same F1 Ortega male). I would predict that each batch will behave differently, but if none of them show intersex traits I will be very confused, or at least I will have some proof that a male can mask the intersex trait in the subsequent generation. The true enigma here I think is that I managed to stress the F1 male and he showed the intersex trait as well (grew pistils), leading me to believe that at best this F2 generation would A) grow a high percentage of females at best or B) a high percentage of intersex plants at worst. 50/50 with no intersex was the last result I expected, regardless of the sample size.

M.

That's the reason I asked about the males, I too have heard that males showing a few pistils may clean things up. And you got a 50/50 M/F in the F2. That's why I suggested going to F3.

You got to love this plant.

I've never heard that about intersex males cleaning up a line, but I guess that could be what I'm seeing here. If it's true then great! Now I'm not sure if I should stay within each F2 line or cross different F2 lines to each other. Initial plans were to create F3s using specific F2 lines: cross the #1, #3, and #5 together (flavor/quality of high) and cross the #2, #4, and #6 together (extreme potency), to create two specific Ortega IBLs. I'm partial to just putting them all in the same room and do an open pollination, but I'm open to isolating specific lines depending on the unique individuals I find. I must say I find myself staring at the males in this line. The two F2 males I have now glisten/sparkle in the sunlight and wreak of potency.

M.

was a pretty active thread about it in this very site, as well as being mentioned on pretty much every other site ive been on

shanti even got involved in the discussion

Hi osama,

I think you might be referring to an old post by Colorado but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. They'd posted a few quotes on the topic of selecting males but they were jumbled in a way that made it seem like all the words came from Shanti; it was actually a quote of DJ Short about his theory.

If I'm wrong on that one can you dig it up and post a link.

I decided I should go ahead and paste the whole post here so nothing seems to be taken out of context and spread the good lesson on choosing males.

Hi All

well someone brought this thread to my attention and asked for me to comment...so I will.

In my experiences with the Haze plants, the actual breeding of traits into a plant are not easy.The only way you can attempt this, and it maybe out of the reach of most due to the number of plants required is this. You crack a batch of Haze from a reliable and as pure source as you can find. Keep the best 3 males that exhibit traits you are after in the physical plant. You do the same for 3 females you get from the same batch. You then proceed to pollinate each female to ABC males and crack the seed you make...identify those plants displaying traits you are looking for and pick the male that shows most true in the F1 progeny. This can only be achieved by doing larger samples of seeds...and then you will need to keep a fair few clone back ups until you are sure that certain plants do not shine your way. An example of such breeding was Super Silver Haze and Mango Haze from Mr Nice Seeds. Nev cracked over 1000 seeds and followed them through testing large F1 progeny...Mango female was easy to find for me but the male took a fair while...1.5 years. In that time I killed several hundred F1 seeds to find the male that proved to be most true in its progeny.However now with Nev Haze C, and my MH male I have two plants that combine well and carry certain Haze/sativa traits to all they mate with...but this has now taken quite some years.

So it can occur with luck and it can occur with hard work, but the amount of plants needed to fulfil this type of breeding is much more greater than Indica dominant breeding imo.

(A quick word on "backward" hermaphrodites ? declared males that eventually sport female flowers ? as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny.)

The section in bold are DJ's words. There's more that I cut out to keep the post minimal but it ends with other quotes from Shanti making it seem as though everything there has come from him. I've got a feeling DJ was smoking something very nice when he wrote that one ;)

Hi osama,

I think you might be referring to an old post by Colorado but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. They'd posted a few quotes on the topic of selecting males but they were jumbled in a way that made it seem like all the words came from Shanti; it was actually a quote of DJ Short about his theory.

If I'm wrong on that one can you dig it up and post a link.

The section in bold are DJ's words. There's more that I cut out to keep the post minimal but it ends with other quotes from Shanti making it seem as though everything there has come from him. I've got a feeling DJ was smoking something very nice when he wrote that one ;)

yeah you might be right, i do think i remember shanti actually posting himself, but i could be wrong and maybe they were quotes

none the less though, it is a topic thats been on this site and many others, dunno how a long time member here coulda missed it

Last edited:
Back