Ortega & Critical Mass- Musashi plays with Fire

Aloha braddahs!

I am now finishing up the 7th week as pistils are starting to brown and yellowing fan leaves are adding color to the room. Figuring that there may be just over 2 more weeks before the cut, I have now begun flush as of today.

It has been hot here lately and the air conditioner struggles to hold moderate temperatures. Even with alternating watering schedules, the dehumidifier is working overtime to pull excess moisture out of the room.

With the harvest just around the corner, we all know that fat buds can attract molds, and getting diseases at this time can be quite disappointing. There is nothing worse than trying to remedy a challenging situation so late in the game. I am paying closer attention now and am doing everything I can to assure a successful outcome. It has been a fairly easy grow; the plants did not present with too many problems.

In my spare time, I find myself again in the room marveling at how these seedlings have now matured into large sensimilla plants full of aromas and glistening in resin. The plant heals in so many different ways.

nursie #1 7_27.jpg nursie #2 7_27.jpg nursie #3 7_27.jpg
Nursie #1, #2, #3

ortega #1 7_27.jpg ortega #3 7_27.jpg
Ortega #1, #3

crit mass #1 7_27.jpg crit mass #3a 7_27.jpg
Critical Mass #1, #3

🤙
Mu

Man these ladies are getting fat quick 😁 looking incredible MU, I bet there are some wonderful smells coming through as you brush past the ladies. The curandera just look outstanding, is it a new cross of yours or something you plan to work on over a couple of generations?

Hopefully the temps don't get the better of your set up and you pull a nice big haul 😁

Bong

Aloha brah!

Curandera has been around for awhile. Several years ago, I had read that Widow males worked well in crosses. At the time, I was not so much interested in BW as I was in the Medicine Man and especially the La Nina. In both cases I was blessed with 6 males in both varieties back to back and did crosses with these. I had a Diesel I wanted to preserve and so Curandera was born on the MedMan side and Wizard was born on the La Nina side. I am glad to have taken the advice given earlier by some of the awesome members lurking here.

But what I really wanted to share is this Ortega. Indies photograph so well in late maturity IMO.

ortegabb 7_29.jpg
Ortega #2

🤙
Mu

Man I may have to grab a pack of those Ortega they look fantastic MU, I'm guessing they are very Indica on the smoke? I'm trying to get away from indi strains at least for a while so they may have to wait a while. Very fine lady indeed.

Bong

Aloha fellow Firewalkers!

Going on 9 weeks now, the girls are coloring up nicely suggesting harvest time is just around the corner. My observation is that using 2 bulbs concurrently during flower, the combining of blue with red, results in my window increasing slightly but I am convinced that the quality of bud has improved. I am watching humidity closely at this juncture, along with trimming up dead leaves, recycling dehumidifier water, reducing light; all part of the regimen as I wind down this grow.

I kept all clones of the Curandera (DieselxMedMan male) and am glad I did because I fear my pollination program was not successful this time. If not, then I will grow more males down the road as I see this as a project worth continuing. The Medicine Man male added good structure to this plant, slightly reducing the axillary growth while adding a little more height and I will pay particular attention to these phenotypes. Both parents contribute to vigor and healthy clones. It is a plant that frosts up nicely. They smell of fruit including strawberries with this grape pheno being my favorite. They are the most fragrant within this grow.

Curandera grape pheno 8_6 a.jpg

Due to space limitations, I only kept several clones of Nursie (ACDCxOrtega male). The one I should have kept- I didn’t. ☹ On top of that most succumbed to salt. ACDC was always a bitch to grow. I did not take the time to revive because as I shared with you earlier- I had messed up the naming of males for the pollination project. Smoking The Doors before working, doh, didn’t help! I will grow her again later and will just have to be happy with what bud I have in hand. She does make a great anxiolytic tincture. They predominately smell of berries like their father.

Nursie #3 8_6 a.jpg

Again, due to space, I kept one of the three Critical Mass plants. It was of medium yield. The one I should have kept is pictured, she smells of earth and hash. I will give the clones up and revisit this variety down the road. As always, I look forward to her smoke.

Critical mass #3 8_6 a.jpg

The Ortega, what can I say about the Ortega? I love this plant. While she is not quite as odorous as the others, she still throws a hint of berries. Out of the 3 plants, I did keep the right clone! She competes in yield to the Critical Mass. Able to support her own weight with minimal outside support, I love her confirmation and have never doubted her potency, which is always my first criteria of selection. A good eater, not finicky in the least, she cloned well and strong and will definitely be kept for the bread and butter.

Ortega #1 8_6 a.jpg

I am looking forward to them all coming home soon as the other girls, the Nev/Doors cross are raging at this point. More on that in the BDM thread.

🤙
Mu

Aloha braddahs!

As I am really pressed for time 9 plants came down today, leaving 6 more. A little early, the harvest is being pushed along as I have other girls who are ready for the room and I mean ready! The rest of the plants have been given another few days to finish and that's it. I have been sparing of water in preparation of further cutting and the resultant humidity levels are not fluctuating as greatly with what remains. I am reasonably pleased, though I do miss my sativas. Busier than hell right now so I'll leave you with some hastily taken pics to at least give you an idea.

Curandera #1 8_15.jpg Curandera #2 8_15.jpg Curandera #3 8_15.jpg
Curandera #1,2,3

Nursie #2 8_15.jpg Nursie #3 8_15.jpg
Nursie #2,3

Critical Mass #1 8_15.jpg Critical Mass #3 8_15.jpg
Critical Mass #1,3

Ortega #2 8_15.jpg Ortega #4 8_15.jpg
Ortega #2,4

🤙
Mu

Aloha fellow Firewalkers!

Cryin' won't help you prayin' won't do you no good
Now cryin' won't help you prayin' won't do you no good
When the levee breaks mama you got to move

Ready or not, the rest were taken down several days ago. Gots to make room for the new ones...

I'm a little rusty on my timing with the Indies lol. A decent grow but needed more veg time for better yield. But overall I am happy to add the much needed medicine. Apologies for the hasty pics...

Curandera #4 8_18.jpg Curandera #5 8_18.jpg Nursie #1 8_18.jpg
Curandera #4,5, Nursie #1
The Curandera's smell of strawberry and grape more from the Diesel mom than their Medman dad, Nursie smells of berry like her Ortega dad. As mentioned earlier, the ACDC mom makes for a great anxiolytic tincture.

Critical Mass #2 8_18.jpg Ortega #3 8_18.jpg
Critical Mass #2, Ortega #3
Critical smells of fuel and hash, Ortega is faint berry

Ortega #1 8_18.jpg
Ortega #1
My keeper, smelling faintly of berries.

Looking forward to trying them all out in a few weeks. Thanks for stopping by braddahs!

🤙
Mu

Hey Mu, great to see a current Ortega grow! I was curious if you think the Ortega would be good for Scrogging? I am seeing massive side branching and conscidering trying to fill a screen on the next round.
Regards,
Squidrun

Hey braddah Squidrun. I have not scrogged this plant before. Your observation about side branching replete with big buds is spot on. This plant would be a perfect candidate for this technique. The critical mass I grew alongside would also work well in that setup. Looking forward to the awesome pictures of your grow!

🤙
Mu

Hey braddah Squidrun. I have not scrogged this plant before. Your observation about side branching replete with big buds is spot on. This plant would be a perfect candidate for this technique. The critical mass I grew alongside would also work well in that setup. Looking forward to the awesome pictures of your grow!

🤙
Mu
Great stuff bro love the look of the Ortega's and your crosses are awesome. Was wondering what that SD was but saw you explain it in a previous post. I got medman and critical haze going now and was wondering what would be a good cross with those 2 strains so I made a poll in the breeders section. I should have some quick kush clones soon and was wondering what you think I should cross them with the medman or CH or both lol the more the merrier.

Aloha IG! Good to have you back on the boards. I'm liking what I see in your latest grows brah. Thank you for the bless up and to your question- How much time and effort do you want to put into the project? What is the goal of combining plants? Are you looking for more yield, more medicine, more potency, or? Your first 2 choices might give you more medicine and potency, your next 2 choices might give you more yield and euphoria. Push to shove, I would be inclined to go with choice 1 and 4. Finding the best selections within these 2 groups, then you might better accomplish choices 2 and 3. Good hunting!

🤙
Mu

Aloha IG! Good to have you back on the boards. I'm liking what I see in your latest grows brah. Thank you for the bless up and to your question- How much time and effort do you want to put into the project? What is the goal of combining plants? Are you looking for more yield, more medicine, more potency, or? Your first 2 choices might give you more medicine and potency, your next 2 choices might give you more yield and euphoria. Push to shove, I would be inclined to go with choice 1 and 4. Finding the best selections within these 2 groups, then you might better accomplish choices 2 and 3. Good hunting!

🤙
Mu
True I have no real goal as yet not seeing what will come of these where Terps and budstructure are concerned . Maybe when i see something i like which i definitely will i can narrow down the choices as to which to cross with what . At first I will judge by the plant structure I/e branching and strength of the branches and then a little later in flower decide on early bud structure . I know the f2 will. Ring out a lot of variety depending on the parents chosen. I will go back over Joshua hazen post to pick up some tips again . Loved his bonsai mom and breeding thread. And ways to simplify record keeping (which I am terrible at. Hahah . Aloha

Back