Oregon Purple Thai

matthewriot

I've been growing something that was passed to me as JoJoRizzo's Purple Thai and finally had it verified by someone who bred with Oregon Purple Thai extensively that it is, in fact Oregon Purple Thai. You know how stoked I am? I've heard how finnacky it is, however many people say it's REALLy good herb, and I am a huge fan of thai weed, so I finally get to grow this badass strain. I'll do my best to document it - This round may not be so great as I pollinated it a bit too early with some Pre98 Bubba pollen, so the buds won't fully develop, however I have a few rather large clones of this bad bitch hanging out. But just for a small taste, here's her in early bloom.

Attachments

• opt1.jpg
    opt1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 825
ahem...

sounds delicious! if you need someone to test your purple thai x bubba seeds i'll put my hand up now lol.

peace
ss

I'm hoping this bubba helps get rid of some of the hermie traits as the pre98 cut is solid as a fucking ox. As well as some resin production and some bulk....all around i think these two will compliment eachother like cheese and wine!

Sportster used to have the OPT I think....... certainly a fav of mine.. heres some shots of an outcross.

Last edited:
The purple tones from the OPT comes from the Oaxacan part of this variety.

picture.php

Namaste :)

The purple tones from the OPT comes from the Oaxacan part of this variety.

Do you think the "root beer" type of flav is available via OPT? like the colombian types of haze? on a side note I was led to believe some of the colombian stuff was thai types grown there.. any thought on that?

Last edited:
Do you think the "root beer" type of flav is available via OPT? like the colombian types of haze?

That's quite possible.I had some Thai bud a while ago which had the same sort of flavor as the 'rootbeer' type.I'm not sure about the Ox, most of the buds were ripped before i could harvest, although i could save several seeds.

Hi all,
Overall "Oregon Purple Thai" is a strain which is only known by a very select group of people in its current form and to date remains a strain I have only heard of through the intricate and well bound stories of the person known as DJ Short. But like with many varieties of a similar nature, I would not be surprised to look through old issues of HT magazine and find a similarly named strain at one point in time or another.

So we're not talking about an old classic strain in my opinion, but rather something quite localized to a specific geographic location which has only really gained in fame due to the numerous individuals wading through the DJ Short version of history surrounding his lines.

DJ Shorts crown jewel of achievement in the cannabis world is allegedly being responsible for the breeding of blueberry, however when you wade through DJ Shorts own writings you find that the original blueberry that became so famous was actually the result of others breeding work based off lines supposedly brought to Holland by DJ Short. So like with many things in the cannabis industry, not everything is as it seems and a great deal of games played with words, loose interpretations of history and a healthy bit of advertising and marketing make up a bulk of the cannabis industries portfolio when it comes to bringing these lines to the masses. DJ Short is no exception.

Yep Jesse, I would 100% agree with ya there buddy. Blueberry has been sailing along this west coast long before I was born and many years before what... 1996-98 when DJ popped his head above water?

Although the seeds of OPT are rare nowadays, also the strain itself has hermi traits, special about this variety is the colored stem, which gave after the OPT was crossed with an Afghani the famous strain Blueberry or some other family members like Flo.IMO the black Oaxacan which is responsible for the trait of the colored stem like i said earlier is far more special than the whole Blueberry family.

To find colored Oaxacans or other Mexican strains like this red Michoacan (pic) are extremely rare to find, which is very pity for the diversity of the Cannabis drug pole.

picture.php

Namaskar, that is such a beautiful plant - which strain is it?

I know some have aversions to S1's but I have a few OPT S1s as well.

I think these OPT x Pre98 Bubbas may be something very unique to grow...I really hope it reduces the herm trait...I haven't seen any hermaphroditism in the cut...yet.. But if there is it won't affect anything as I keep my eyes on my grow at all times wen growing a new strain.

But yeah... Bubba would be an excellent replacement for the afghani lineage of BB... god what could come out of this?! Im just thinking and thinking and I can't predict what it will possibly look like...wow..

Last edited:
Yep Jesse, I would 100% agree with ya there buddy. Blueberry has been sailing along this west coast long before I was born and many years before what... 1996-98 when DJ popped his head above water?

are you saying DJ claims to of invented blueberry ? i thought his blueberry was just "his version" because blueberry dates back to the late 70's

peace :cool:

You know...I don't remember if he claims himself to have invented it, however he does feed the flames of the people who love to give him credit for it... I mean common sense says he didn't as it was around when he was very young... I never thought it was in dispute either until I once brought it up on a forum and got ripped a new asshole by DJ Short fans.

Hi all,
Overall "Oregon Purple Thai" is a strain which is only known by a very select group of people in its current form and to date remains a strain I have only heard of through the intricate and well bound stories of the person known as DJ Short. But like with many varieties of a similar nature, I would not be surprised to look through old issues of HT magazine and find a similarly named strain at one point in time or another.

So we're not talking about an old classic strain in my opinion, but rather something quite localized to a specific geographic location which has only really gained in fame due to the numerous individuals wading through the DJ Short version of history surrounding his lines.

DJ Shorts crown jewel of achievement in the cannabis world is allegedly being responsible for the breeding of blueberry, however when you wade through DJ Shorts own writings you find that the original blueberry that became so famous was actually the result of others breeding work based off lines supposedly brought to Holland by DJ Short. So like with many things in the cannabis industry, not everything is as it seems and a great deal of games played with words, loose interpretations of history and a healthy bit of advertising and marketing make up a bulk of the cannabis industries portfolio when it comes to bringing these lines to the masses. DJ Short is no exception.

What a load of shit IMO, the strain is his just like skunk is SamS... for the record he took Blueberry to holland he didn't develop it there... Can anyone show a seedline by someone else? nah can you heck... still you'd know about scamming and ripping off strains Matt.

Last edited:
Hey there's one of my trolls - haven't seen you around for a bit!

Indeed, scamming and...wha...

Yeah I really rip off tons of strains... all the F2s i release of others work while they're still selling the beans..oh...wait...nope. Never happened.

LOL

Hope you're doing well under this moniker hypocrite... as I said before, perfect name for ya mystery buddy.

Isn't there a moderator or mediator now that's here to take out the trash? I have the first parasitic specimen who has made a point to make his name off of mine. If you wanted attention from you you coulda just said hi dippyshit. I'm approachable and nice... Negative attention isn't good attention... Did daddy not show you enough love?? or perhaps a little TOO MUCH love.

Clownshoe.

Last edited:
Hey there's one of my trolls - haven't seen you around for a bit!

Indeed, scamming and...wha...

LOL

Hope you're doing well under this moniker hypocrite... as I said before, perfect name for ya mystery buddy.

awe mannnn

whatever happened to me getting such notice :confused:

im all jealouse now :(

Below is a write up from DJ Short some of you may find interesting where he describes his contributions to the breeding process of the first commercially available blueberry lines in Holland. As you can see, as I had previously mentioned, it is in fact others who are responsible for the breeding of the blueberry that went on to become so famous from Holland in the '90s.

Holland

By the early 1990's I was extremely interested in the burgeoning seed market developing in Holland. I had known about the seed banks since 1983 and was always only interested in obtaining more pure, land-race varieties. Unfortunately, there were only hybrid crosses ever available at the time and I had more than enough of my own to work with. By 1993 I finally made the pilgrimage to Amsterdam where I made new connections. In 1994 I connected with the first company that I worked with in Europe. By 1995 I was supplying this company with seed-stock both for sale and for breed work. I had contracted with this company to produce Blueberry, Flo and Blue Velvet.

The first company I worked with in Europe sprouted only 25 seeds of each of these varieties to make selections from. Other than supplying seed-stock, I was only minimally involved in the selection process. I did get to see the mother and father plants alive, however, the selection process had already been done prior by others. Unfortunately, my relationship with this company was short-lived as all the owner really wanted was my seed-stock. Once he had it I became a very low priority in his scheme. In all honesty I was never paid one red cent for any of the Blueberry (or “Flow” or Blue Velvet) that company number one in Europe produced (plus having over 3,000 seeds that I produced completely ripped off).

Needless to say this lack of concern prompted me to seek other possibilities that culminated in my relationship with the second company I worked with in Europe. At this company about 50 seeds of each variety were sprouted, but I was once again mainly left out of the selection process except for sampling a number of finished products and making selections based on those (which is enough, actually). I never got to see any of the live plants from this selection process at company number two in Europe. I also contributed seed-stock for three more varieties there; Blue Moonshine, Blue Heaven and Purple Passion. The owner of this company was satisfied with paying me the minimum amount I would consider adequate. Fortunately, part of the deal was my ability to remain independent and work with whomever else I pleased.

- DJ Short

Below is a write up from DJ Short some of you may find interesting where he describes his contributions to the breeding process of the first commercially available blueberry lines in Holland. As you can see, as I had previously mentioned, it is in fact others who are responsible for the breeding of the blueberry that went on to become so famous from Holland in the '90s.

and? those are the DP and Sagarmartha.. where he took his stock that HE had bred from P1 stock to F3... are you trying to say that Henk and Tony are responsible? they just basically took his stock and gave him little input.. they didn't breed anything, they took his seedline and chose the parents for their release!!! and stopped paying him etc etc... you have stooped to a new low now StressE... its like saying dinafem bred Critical mass because they selected a female to be selfed. Stupidity at its best!

Heres the full bit on his work in europe and not a cherry picked section, note he was workiong things in the 70's...
Past Selection Processes Review

Originally, in the late 1970's, I was growing up to 100 plants at a time using over 1000 watts of light, and also outdoors in a backyard garden space. These were all land race sativa that fortunately cloned well. The ratio of highly desirable individuals from these plants was about 1:100. One of the most annoying traits of these varieties was hermaphroditism. Approximately 60% of all of these plants from seed were unmanageable hermis, and about 25% more were what I referred to as manageable hermaphrodites, meaning that with close observation and intense scrutiny the male pods could be seen and eliminated as they appeared. About 15% of these sativa plants were female enough to produce marketable sinsimilla bud, with a constant vigilance toward the occasional stray pollen sack. In other words the hermaphroditism expressed in these equatorial sativa was extreme and nearly total.

A quick word about the virtues of hermaphrodites: Ask any old-time herbalist, one who has been experiencing fine herb since at least the early 1970's, what their favorite all-time herbal variety was, and the answer will be something to the effect of; “Santa Marta or Acapulco Gold” or “Highland or Chocolate Thai” or “Punta Roya (red-tipped gold Highland Oaxacan)” or “Guerran Green” or “Panama Red” etc. et. al., all of which were equatorial, or sub-tropical, origin sativa and hermaphroditic. Even the great hashish of the era such as Lebanese Red and Blonde, all Moroccan and Nepalese were produced from seeded stock.

This is not so much in praise of the hermaphrodite as it is a suggestion in regard to the cannabinoid profile of seeded verses non-seeded herb. It has been my experience that the cannabinoid profile of seeded herb produces a wider range of effect than from non-seeded, or sinsimilla, herb. The equatorial environment also probably contributed to a wider range of cannabinoids. One of the aspects of the equatorial environment is its consistent day/night temperature range, there is little difference between day and night temps on the equator supposedly inspiring a wider cannabinoid profile. Couple this with the seeded cannabinoid profile and it becomes easy to understand the popularity of the equatorial produced sativa, despite its hermaphroditic problems. I am curios as to what future research in this capacity may provide.

Once the indica was introduced into the mix the hermaphrodite “problem” became controllable. It only takes a few zero-tolerance generations indoors to fully eliminate hermaphroditic tendencies. As a matter of fact, this, coupled with shortening the flowering cycle, became the first main concerns of the indoor or commercial horticulturist. This unbalanced focus may be the strongest contributing factor to the “blandness” of much of the herb to follow. The author “R” did a cover piece for High Times magazine in the mid-1980's calling for a “Ban the Bud” campaign, against the indica onslought, due to how bad and bland the quality of some herb was becoming then. I remember the times clearly.

During this period I was beginning to venture out into larger satellite grows (indoor and out) that kicked my selection numbers up to around 1000 plants at a time for awhile. It was from these trials that I was able to do the bulk of my f2 experimentation and selections. I worked with these numbers for enough trials to manipulate and witness the phenomenon of quality production to a high degree of certainty. Once I was certain how to produce the f3's, the f4's and beyond became much easier to produce.

During the late 1980's, and due to the harsh political realities of the times, the high numbers game became too dangerous. The war on some drugs and spooky ops such as Operation Green Merchant forced my experimentation deep underground. Fortunately, the lessons learned prior proved fruitful and progress was possible despite the political weather. I had already learned to produce f3 and f4 Blueberry (et. al.). However, doing so with diminished numbers actually helped boost my learning curve. Between 1987 to 1990 I was able to do so using less than 100 plants from seed at a time. And by 1991 I was able to do adequate selection work from past produced stock using less than 50 plants (seeds) at a time.

Europe

Holland

By the early 1990's I was extremely interested in the burgeoning seed market developing in Holland. I had known about the seed banks since 1983 and was always only interested in obtaining more pure, land-race varieties. Unfortunately, there were only hybrid crosses ever available at the time and I had more than enough of my own to work with. By 1993 I finally made the pilgrimage to Amsterdam where I made new connections. In 1994 I connected with the first company that I worked with in Europe. By 1995 I was supplying this company with seed-stock both for sale and for breed work. I had contracted with this company to produce Blueberry, Flo and Blue Velvet.

The first company I worked with in Europe sprouted only 25 seeds of each of these varieties to make selections from. Other than supplying seed-stock, I was only minimally involved in the selection process. I did get to see the mother and father plants alive, however, the selection process had already been done prior by others. Unfortunately, my relationship with this company was short-lived as all the owner really wanted was my seed-stock. Once he had it I became a very low priority in his scheme. In all honesty I was never paid one red cent for any of the Blueberry (or “Flow” or Blue Velvet) that company number one in Europe produced (plus having over 3,000 seeds that I produced completely ripped off).

Needless to say this lack of concern prompted me to seek other possibilities that culminated in my relationship with the second company I worked with in Europe. At this company about 50 seeds of each variety were sprouted, but I was once again mainly left out of the selection process except for sampling a number of finished products and making selections based on those (which is enough, actually). I never got to see any of the live plants from this selection process at company number two in Europe. I also contributed seed-stock for three more varieties there; Blue Moonshine, Blue Heaven and Purple Passion. The owner of this company was satisfied with paying me the minimum amount I would consider adequate. Fortunately, part of the deal was my ability to remain independent and work with whomever else I pleased.

Switzerland

The third company I worked with in Europe was in Switzerland. The owner of this company was able to dramatically push the envelope there and some interesting results blossomed. I visited Switzerland three times between 1999 and 2001 and was truly amazed at what I witnessed on each visit. Out of all of the companies that I worked with in Europe, I felt the most involved and productive in Switzerland. I was involved with selections of finished products and with live mother and father plants as well. I even got to help plant, transplant and harvest a few of the gems produced there.

The varieties produced by the third company that I worked with in Europe included Moonshine Rocket Fuel, Rosebud and Blue Satellite. I must admit that the bubble hash from the Blue Satellite is among the finest and most desirable product I have sampled (outside of my own) since the 1980's! Unfortunately, the owner of this company was unable to successfully work with the local authorities and was forced to leave Switzerland. Some truly intrepid tales were spun during the brief stay there and I will remember many of them with delight.

Last edited:
Back