NY state just legalized weed

Big Sur

After the legislature passed a legal marijuana bill and after the governor signed off on it this week, NY State has become the 15th state to legalize rec weed in the US. Also in NY, you can now grow up to 6 plants legally. That is, each person in the state can grow 3 plants and there is a 6 plant grow limit per household. Which is not bad. This is unlike NY's sister state NJ where home grows are not legal at all. You can also now have up to 3 ounces of weed in NY. Anyone previously convicted in NY of possessing an amount of marijuana now under the legal limit automatically will be subject to expungement and/or re-sentencing.

This is big as NY is a high population state along with Illinois. Michigan and California. They also allow for home grows.

Legal possession and expungement of records for past arrests took place immediately. Growing will not be legal until the dispensary's open which will be at least 18 months. You will be able to possess 3 mature plants and 3 immature plants. Not exactly sure how that will help me, an outdoor grower with a short growing season. However, I will grow as I've always grown in New York ;) That's 3 arrests off my record! 3 more to go! :devilish:

Longball

Legal possession and expungement of records for past arrests took place immediately. Growing will not be legal until the dispensary's open which will be at least 18 months. You will be able to possess 3 mature plants and 3 immature plants. Not exactly sure how that will help me, an outdoor grower with a short growing season. However, I will grow as I've always grown in New York ;) That's 3 arrests off my record! 3 more to go! :devilish:

Longball

As for plant limits, they are actually higher than either of us have stated. Up to 12 plants per household. This is directly from the New York State web site:
  • Home grow:permitted under the bill subject to possession limits in 18 months after first adult-use sales begin for adult recreational use and subject to regulations of the Medical Program being promulgated no sooner than 6 months:
    • 3 mature plants and 3 immature plants for adults over 21
      • 6 mature plants and 6 immature plants maximum per household

Last edited:
Also acc'd to the NY Times and other media sites the 18 month wait to grow in NY state may only be a year, or it could be 2 years. It depends on how long it takes to get the rec sales stores up and running. Oregon had a similar legal grow delay set in place, but they moved up growing to July after the measure was passed in November the previous year. Also they opened up the medical stores to sell rec weed before the rec stores were licensed and opened the following January. So it will likely vary as things fall into place. Also if you grow now in NY state under the set limits, then any bust would be expunged when growing becomes legal, yes?

Good news.
I'm sure that when it will be legal at federal level it will spread worldwide, at least in Europe.
US will make pressure on others countries to export his weed in the name of free trade.

I doubt that federal legalization of weed will happen any time soon in the US. Mexico (almost) and Canada have both made weed legal at the national level, along with Uruguay. But Biden has been a staunch anti-legal drug policy maker his entire career. And a point of fact, the Biden administration just fired anyone on the white house staff that has smoked marijuana.

As for exports, many states like Oregon and California have already made marijuana export legal, but it cannot be done with federal restrictions. Hemp is legal to grow and export, but not Marijuana. And some states like Idaho consider hemp as marijuana, and it is still not legal there. And in the US, they are still adjusting and finalizing the rules and laws for growing legal hemp here. For example, hemp can now have 1% THC by volume under federal law, up from 0.3%. But many states still have the 0.3% rule. And internationally 0.3% THC is still the standard. So it will be some time (likely a decade) before things are made legal and finalized.

Back