NL5 x Hz Female Select: Medical Grow Journal

Two things- I would probably go with the five gallon buckets. However, for the flower lighting I would do 11 on and 13 off. I use this if I am ever going to pheno hunt. Got the idea from DJ Short. You see stuff that will usually not come out under 12/12.

Wwwwww, they have been under 11/13 since flip and they seem happy. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also would not recommend topping them for a pheno select, you can see their structure better when they are growing normally. If you have not yet cloned, I would take a lower or a middle branch.
We followed this advice and we are happy with the results so far!

Well the clawing or downward canoeing of the fan leaves are deffinately a haze thing. Have seen lots of them do it, usually it's the plants that are the haze leaners.

What causes it? Probably wet feet and too much N. But not always so easy to control, you do the best you can.

Last edited:
Buds at centre of fan leaves? Cannabis Chinensis?

Well the clawing or downward canoeing of the fan leaves are a haze thing...
What causes it? Probably wet feet and too much N.
Thanks for this. We'll try and go a little easier on the PPM with those girls.

We have 1 girl, 2/3 of her upper fan leaves have buds coming out of their centers! This was totally new for me. Has anybody seen this in MN strains?

The term 'Cannabis Chinensis' came up in my reading but I'm not sure if it're related. Could it anything to do with Nevil having used Ruderalis in his original breeding? Pic below:

5HZ_WEEK_5_I.jpg

Link to full-sized image

Last edited:
Coming along nicely!

The bud on the fan leaves is a fairly common oddity. Every grower will run across a few in their life time. Doesn't seem to be an indicator of anything so just a visual thing.

I saw one guy used those small leaf buds to make seeds and keep the rest of his crop seedless lol

look for the 13/14 weeks phenos, you can find easely a super plant does have all :smell /extrem yield/and the imcomparable haze high. You can also look the 5hz and c5 pics of yosemite Sam ,i can post pics of my pheno if it can help you.
We are still looking out for the 13/14 week pheno! :)

Beautiful and healthy! Great work, can't wait to see all the phenos you run across!
We really are seeing a nice variety!

It's gonna be a pretty tough choice as it is. I would plan on narrowing it down to a few this round and have the championship ballot slated for round two. You might end up keeping more than one. In hindsight I should have kept two, my hazy lady and the powerhouse yeilder.
Agreed, this will take at least 2 rounds.

hi , nl5 haze do some crazy main colas , i would put it into flower now, 15 plant m2 ,and you make cuts with the lower branch. this strain can be so huge after the stretch ,;)
We are very pleased we didn't top them, the tops are beautiful ;)

Beautiful plants you got going,
do you plan to defoliate at any time or to some extent?
all the best
We ended up defoliating some of the larger fan leaves at the end of week 3. The plants seem happier, and there are now far more bud sites directly exposed to light. The lowest couple of branches were used for clones.

They are looking very healthy.
Look like it will be a claustrophobic flower room.
My advice is to you learn how to train the plants (lst), it may become necessary further.
:)
We ended up training the plants somewhat, during flower. All the individual branches have been supported by tying them to a bamboo cane. This has reduced the overall footprint of the plants by maybe 30%, which seems well suited to this vertical grow style as the plants can now be positioned closer to the lamps, and the bud sites are more evenly and uniformly placed.

Have seen lots of them do it, usually it's the plants that are the haze leaners.
What causes it? Probably wet feet and too much N.
As we're not adding any nitrogen specifically, we've tried to dial down to nuits overall :)

Things look great! Just a warning note on big fat main colas: if you are going to get bud rot, THAT is where it will show up. ;) I am not saying it's imminent, but keep your eyes open and be careful not to over water when they plump up and airflow decreases.

Again, things look great!

Things look great! Just a warning note on big fat main colas: if you are going to get bud rot, THAT is where it will show up. ;) I am not saying it's imminent, but keep your eyes open and be careful not to over water when they plump up and airflow decreases.

Again, things look great!

Hi PlantManBee, thanks for the feedback. How can we best avoid overwatering? The girls are in 5 gal. pots, receiving <1/4 gal. of water per day. There is no run-off.
We're in early winter and the humidity is currently 55-60% in the flower room.

Red pistils

They're looking great dude! Must be some great aromas developing!

You wouldn't believe it! :) Strong BLUEBERRY aromas coming from one girl. Sweet, fruity flavors from others. Definite haze smells and NL aromas.
We are using the NFTG organic nutrient line, they claim that flavors reveal themselves better when using with this line.

Killing it Bro, very nice work!

Thanks for the kind words.

Most girl have all whiteish pistils, but we have 1 girl with a fair amount of rich, red pistils. Not of of her flowers, but many of them. We are thinking about flushing her now - after 2 weeks of flush she'll have had 8 weeks flower.
Any thoughts?

I like a little amber in my NL5/Hz. How are the trichomes looking under glass? There typically is variation in opaqueness and color from top to bottom. I would suggest you wait to flush until a certain degree of maturity prevails. When you have a certain ripeness as evidenced by opacity, that would be a good time to wind up nutrition and flush for the home stretch. Don’t be locked into the time thing because some plants may want to go that extra week which can make quite a bit of difference in the finished product. Suggest you watch the humidity- especially refrain from foliar spraying. Of course, I know you got it covered brah!

Shaka
M

I have personally decided to ignore all time indicators as in days/weeks of flower.
To be honest, I am not even sure what exact date I flipped my current round :D

What I do is once the hairs start to turn orange, I start monitoring the trichomes with a hand microscope. I monitor those with the most orange hairs most closely as they are likely the first to finish.

I do not take any action until the majority of trichomes is cloudy.

Then I start to ponder how much I should let turn amber etc. etc. keep a daily/semi daily checkup with the microscope going and once I have mostly cloudy with between a few and say 25% amber, I harvest.

Imho the time indicators are nothing else but indicators.
In my current CM round, it looks like I will have 2 phenos that will probably be done about a week earlier than the rest.
If I go by days/weeks flowered, I would end up with 2 phenos with way too much amber and what use is that.

I think a hand microscope or jeweler's glass should be part of every growers tool box and should be the main tool to determine harvest time.

I like a little amber in my NL5/Hz. How are the trichomes looking under glass? There typically is variation in opaqueness and color from top to bottom. I would suggest you wait to flush until a certain degree of maturity prevails. When you have a certain ripeness as evidenced by opacity, that would be a good time to wind up nutrition and flush for the home stretch. Don’t be locked into the time thing because some plants may want to go that extra week which can make quite a bit of difference in the finished product. Suggest you watch the humidity- especially refrain from foliar spraying. Of course, I know you got it covered brah!

Shaka
M
Thanks Musashi, we'll secure a glass this week and report back. Any tips on ideal proportions of clear to opaque trichomes? Will watch the humidity - is 50-60% an acceptable level? Foliar sprays ended week 3.

What I do is once the hairs start to turn orange, I start monitoring the trichomes with a hand microscope. I monitor those with the most orange hairs most closely as they are likely the first to finish.
I do not take any action until the majority of trichomes is cloudy.

Then I start to ponder how much I should let turn amber etc. etc. keep a daily/semi daily checkup with the microscope going and once I have mostly cloudy with between a few and say 25% amber, I harvest.

Thanks for the tips Broseidon. Does this apply to all strains, specifically 5Hz? Mostly cloudy meaning some trichomes remaining clear?

Yes, applies to all strains as a rule of thumb.

There are strains that you want to take with more amber trichomes and there are strains (particularly sativa leaning I believe) where people will swear you should take them with almost no amber and mostly cloudy but quite a bit of clear heads.
Maybe as many clear heads as you would want to have amber heads with other strains.
Some people say that these strains create more psychedelic effects if you take them with a good portion of clear heads.

I do not know if any of this is true.

What I know is that cloudy heads means peak development of all the good active compounds growers generally aim for.
Clear heads are not yet developed far enough/not at peak development and amber heads means they are past the peak and degrading.

The reason why you "want" up to 25% amber trichomes is that by that point you will "usually" have about 70% cloudy trichomes and maybe 5% clear.
That's like "the rule of thumb" from what I gathered.

Now from what I understand, in an ideal world, you would harvest when 100% of the trichomes are cloudy, no amber, no clear.

And that's what you should aim for but nature doesn't work like that.

How much amber, how much clear is acceptable or good or even "peak"/"perfect" is dependent on many factors, not least of which is the strain or to go further, your particular cultivar.

If you grow the same cut for years, through trial and error, you will likely find out what the perfect time to harvest is for that particular cut and will know exactly how much has to be amber, cloudy and clear for best results.

Until then, everything is just a rule of thumb with some scientific foundation. And a clearly superior rule of thumb than indicated flowering times in days/weeks, imho.

Oh and what Musashi says is also right: It also depends on what you want the bud for. If you want to make edibles to get you to sleep for example, then you might actively shoot for mostly amber trichomes. They might not have peak THC production any more but more CBD or other compounds that come from the degradation of THC(a I believe?) that are more suitable for your intended goal which is getting to sleep.

With your particular strain in this thread, I would probably shoot for minimal amber, mostly cloudy and would accept more clear heads than I would with an Indica leaning strain. But that might be bad advice to be honest, just from what I heard/gathered I would allow more clear and less amber with more Sativa leaning and go towards more amber less clear with more Indica leaning hybrids while always trying to ultimately get as many cloudy heads as possible.

Stay frosty Bro

Last edited:
Hey braddah! I’m not saying anything different then what has been said many times before on this site as well as others. Assume you have clones of each plant? It is personal preference on the effect you are looking for. IME, that effect will vary based on maturity of plant as indicated by trichome coloration. For this hybrid, I prefer mostly cloudy. I also prefer the jet fuel ones to the NL ones. The NL is there to merely provide the landing gear for my Sukhoi haha. Many ways to skin the cat here.
As Bro sez some prefer clear to opaque for sativas and opaque to amber for indicas. If this makes sense to you, then I would suggest you identify the NL leaning plants from the Hz dominated plants and harvest accordingly.
Another thought, looking at your prospective keepers; as each plant matures differently from top to bottom, consider harvesting by the branch instead of harvesting the plant entirely. That way you can then sample each plant from it’s clear trichs to its amber and decide the optimum based on your preference going forward into your next grow.
Selection is half the fun and dialing in that special plant can be very gratifying. I just wish I had my own HPLC setup to make things funner, easier and more scientific haha... Good hunting.

Aloha
M

Back