NL5 x Haze Whole Pack - No Females.... :(

Baker1

Hey all, im new to the forum side of the community just thought id get involved!
So i got some NL#5 x haze from the auction and unfortunately whole pack has yielded a couple runts and all males.
I must say, they were impressively uniform and all looked the same. Just a shame they are all males.

Anyone else had any luck with this strain? Im gutted as its something iv wanted to grow for ages but i doubt i would part with money again.

On the plus side mango x widow has given me one stocky, bushy female which stinks so far at 5 weeks veg. The rest have yet to show apart from one which is identical but is showing male claw type pre flowers.

First time with Mr Nice so far I am impressed with how uniform the plants are. Just not happy with no females from a whole pack but i suppose its a game of luck at times. Previously had a uk lemon cut and did some tga gear amongst others.
About time i moved over to the original breeder!
Feel free to chime in!
Peace

Recently I've had 6 of 7 G13skunk be male 7 of 8 nev Skunk male, got one female of each and 8-8 master kaze all female, lol..

I also get 50/50 just about every time.

There must be something causing this... I I know there are theories that germ temps can influence the gender of the seeds but don't know if that's ever been proven. SubCool thinks it has to do with how far the roots can grow down before hitting the bottom.

Who knows!

Sorry for your luck
Jake

Last edited:
I'd like to know which date you planted the seeds, maybe tell us about temps and humidity if you watch that stuff. Also what kind of lights, colour?

Apparently a few years back dutch passion completed a "study" into germination conditions affecting m/f ratios...they were focussing on how to produce the highest number of females. They found that lower temperatures (18to23degC I think).. light high in blue (+5000k).. daylight hours around 14hrs..moderate moisture levels.. with higher levels of nitrogen and equal amounts of P & K (3-1-1 for example) in the seed bed..promoted the maximum amount of females...im running on memory here but im pretty sure thats about it. A quick google would uncover the study..
TBH I have tried this and found still get 50 50..maybe 55 45 m to f at best...What I do know is that if it is too hot..dry..poor quality light.. long 18hr days and you give them a hard time.. I have ended up with more males. Pretty much you create mid season conditions..they have the tendancy to be boys. If you think about their life cycle and the changing conditions as the season passes alot of things start to make sense from an evolutionary perspective...
Food for thought...

IMO we can alter the ratios with favorable conditions. Unrestricted root zone early is the one variable that I have seen what I interpret as positive influence on female numbers. In the old, "original" grow bible by Frank and Rosenthall they give multiple parameters for increasing your odds. IMO it is still the most thoughtful book on the subject.

BTW, as far as I know it is impossible to breed an 100 percent male line of seeds. Best of luck.

The probability of getting 16 males out of 16 seeds is 0.0000015, our about 1 in 66,000. If we assume the couple of runts you referred to means 2 girls out of 16 seeds, then the probability of that outcome increases to 0.0018, or about 1 in 560. Either way, you should go buy a lottery ticket. :)

Thanks for the replys. You know what I dontknow what happened. I used t5 lights, small pots and 24hr light schedule maybe that influenced it.
It was hot at that time as its summer and im inthe attic so that would have played a part.
I did read somewhere that if you take a cutting before three weeks then you can affetively get different sexed plants from the same mother, dependingonconditions etc . Not sure if anyone has tried, interesting idea though!
I can usually tell sex by growth but Im sure I wasnt too hasty in culling any. They were all lanky and very similar. Most of them showed sex and ones that never was gone as they were literally showing all the same growth patterns.

I just popped la nina and waiting on ssh so im going to hope that my luck comes in next time! ;)

Thanks for the comments. Not quite sure how to respont to everyone individually

Hasn't female seed breeding shown that the sex is predetermined in the seed and temperature control and other factors are ridiculous wives tales? I don't know but all my recent males are from dead of winter cracking in cooler conditions. Nothing to do with heat.. roots touching the bottom, sounds like something he'd say, lol,cause he knows,lol. Go and buy some female seeds, stick them in a dome on a heat mat in small cups and watch all the males you end up with lmfao

Last edited:
I can usually tell sex by growth but Im sure I wasnt too hasty in culling any. They were all lanky and very similar. Most of them showed sex and ones that never was gone as they were literally showing all the same growth patterns.

You killed the females. That's what I think I'm reading. Females of NL5xHaze will definitely be lanky in growth pattern.

Thinking you can tell sex by growth pattern is false.

Do not cull any plants until they show sex.

You killed the females. That's what I think I'm reading.
I think I would have to agree with you there..I rarely even cull a plant on pre flowers..I do separate them but I wait untill it grows full flowers and then they go outside..and then I keep an eye an them..ive always been too afraid I may discard something special...

Thanks for the replys. You know what I dontknow what happened. I used t5 lights, small pots and 24hr light schedule maybe that influenced it.
It was hot at that time as its summer and im inthe attic so that would have played a part.
I did read somewhere that if you take a cutting before three weeks then you can affetively get different sexed plants from the same mother, dependingonconditions etc . Not sure if anyone has tried, interesting idea though!

I just popped la nina and waiting on ssh so im going to hope that my luck comes in next time! ;)

Thanks for the comments. Not quite sure how to respont to everyone individually

G`day Baker

Did you actually confirm the sex of the plants ?
Structure alone is not confirmation of sex .

Using a loupe can help determine the sex of plants long before the naked eye can .

It is possible you had all males . Probable you didn`t actually know the sex if you used structure as the deciding factor of sex .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Baker 1..just remember this is not a witch hunt or a platform for others to mock you..its purpose is to help spread and share information and knowledge..
Mistakes happen..we all make them..even ones that seem stupid and obvious in hindsight..there is much to be learned from a mistake..just make sure you learn the lesson it is trying to teach you and put it to work.

dont worry, that happend also to the best growers out there ..

once i threw a "male" away onto the compost ... just to find out later in september, that i had a female plant outdoors waiting for me, that was growing slowly and steady in the compost

G `day Deran

I once sexed my plants [or so I thought ] , then went away for a week .
Returned to find a male just about to open its flowers .

Getting in there around the 5-6-7th node and checking every facet of the node with a loupe I usually can sex at 5- 6 weeks .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Back