NL5 X Haze ROUND 1

Ohthatguy8

Hello Mr. Nice Community

This is my first post, first MNS seeds, first 2 plants from the 20 seed pack.

I am excited about the possibilities and am hoping for a haze dom female. I will also be looking for a quality male for my first breeding projects with my established keepers.

The day these seeds arrived I put 2 in paper towels. After 2 days both had germed and were placed in 1.5" rock woll cubes and placed under 400w mh. 2 days later both had broken the surface and I call that day 1. 1 looked normal and one only had the cotyledon no actual leafs. The cubes were then placed in 6" netpots with hydroton and placed in DWC buckets with 1/2 strength nutes. The plant that started with no leafs is actually further advanced than its sibling. The final pics of this post are day 11.

I generally take very few veg pics I will take 1 more of each before the flip. During flower I try for weekly updates as more changes happen.

I only start 2 seeds at a time as to keep with in my legal numbers but plan to concentrate on this strain till I find what im looking for even if its not in the first pack.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 572
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 12
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    861.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    799.8 KB · Views: 548
cool thnx for doing a grow log .
I have been trying to win these in auction with no luck yet.
will be watching.

cool thnx for doing a grow log .
I have been trying to win these in auction with no luck yet.
will be watching.

Thanks for stoping by. I wish you better luck n future auctions. The prices are awesome. But even when the prices near the actual price it's worth it to me to get them from the source n not a middleman. Not to mention the cust. service I sent Simone a pm that was answered very quick, and had I won an auction all of the info I needed would of been sent to me. So she answered a stupid question most would ignore very fast lol.

this is a strain i've been interested in for a while

your plants look like they've had a great start

best wishes with your grow :)

champa thank you for the well wishes.

They are doing good early on def. 2 different style of plants. not so much in leaf traits but in growth pattern and vigor. The one on the right in the above post had a minor bump in the rd. that has been a reoccuring problem with my plants from seed. Since switching to hydro I have taken seeds from the paper towels to rockwool cubes and I have had some root issues with about 15% of my seedlings. The roots clump together and get a brown film on them. I pull the net pot out and dunk the roots in a 32 oz cup of water with approx. 15 ml of peroxide. You can watch the brown wash away. I then empty the bucket and fill with ph'd water and let that run for 24 hrs. then back to normal nutes. I for some reason think it is from the rockwool, becuase none of my clones have ever had the issue. I started out using 4" rockwool now I use the 1.5" and it has happened 1 out of 7 times. Anyway She is fine now and I will put up a few pics this week.

hi otg8

do your roots have a slimey feel to them or just off colour?

i have found that when slimey it's a heat related issue and when off colour either a damp issue(which you touched on with rockwool early on in hydro until established) or nute related

i was once feeding nutes that had a dark tinge to them and thry would colour the roots, apart for the colour they were very healthy, if they are struggling up top it's an idea to look below the surface

i hope this comes across as intended and just talking with friends rather than patronising, your plants health are a sign that you know what you're doing
;)

best wishes :)

Hey champa.
I posted the root info above in hopes of the type of feedback you gave, from personal experience. Thank you. My nl 5 hazes are in the same room with 8 clones from my mothers. So I would think heat would effect more than 1. I do neglect my veg room in a sense as I don't have reflective up yet (had the material for a year) and no fan blowing on the plants. I do have exuast for the room and the light exuast is running but not hooked up to my reflector. Only 1 of the 10 had the problem and the common theme is always a plant from seed. My clones go straight into hydroton from my cloner and have never had the problem. I do not re use hydroton but may start as I hear there is some shortage. blah blah blah grow store propaganda blah blah blah. Lol. I do reuse air hose but soak them in bleach water for a bit before reuse.

As I said she is doing fine now but would love to eliminate this problem from future seedlings. That's y I tryied to give as much details as possible.

Thanks again for brain storming with me

Hey champa.
I posted the root info above in hopes of the type of feedback you gave, from personal experience. Thank you. My nl 5 hazes are in the same room with 8 clones from my mothers. So I would think heat would effect more than 1. I do neglect my veg room in a sense as I don't have reflective up yet (had the material for a year) and no fan blowing on the plants. I do have exuast for the room and the light exuast is running but not hooked up to my reflector. Only 1 of the 10 had the problem and the common theme is always a plant from seed. My clones go straight into hydroton from my cloner and have never had the problem. I do not re use hydroton but may start as I hear there is some shortage. blah blah blah grow store propaganda blah blah blah. Lol. I do reuse air hose but soak them in bleach water for a bit before reuse.

As I said she is doing fine now but would love to eliminate this problem from future seedlings. That's y I tryied to give as much details as possible.

Thanks again for brain storming with me

hi mate,

i'd say if it's 10% or there abouts then it's an acceptable loss, obviously we strive for 100% but dealing with living things isnt always as easy as we'd like..sometimes you do get the runt of the litter through seed or through cut and that individual will struggle to keep up with the pack, from seed it is sometimes worth bearing with the runt as it may replicate the ugly duckling story and mature into a beautiful swan

i've found with cuts it's not always the case and a few factors can affect vitality and as a result i always look to take a good % more than i need and then use the best and leave the rest

when i grow i like multiple strains and usually a few of each, for me its a trade off between keeping the healthiest plants happy and letting the rest get on with it, with higher numbers alllowing me to bin the stragglers i can sometimes keep them uniform but its not always the case and i find you just have to accept it and get on with it

i nearly always have a plant or 2 that under performs but in the scale of things it evens itself out as the free space created from lack of vigour can allow the healthier plants to get more comfortable and make up for any loss in yeilds

many factors can contribute to plants underperforming, sometimes its genetic and other times its environment and based on where the plant is positioned in the room and what that pheno likes

if 6/7 are doing well then i think you're doing well, if you need the 7th plant then i'd take double what you need and take the best and see how you get on

i've reused hydorton before and i know that heath recycles his, trust the grow shops to put that rumour out
:D

i hope that makes sense, its 7am here and i'm heading for the land of nod :eek:

best wishes and speak soon

do your roots have a slimey feel to them or just off colour?
Didn't answer your direct ? They were perfect white from the net pot down about 4" then a clump that looked kinda like brown pond scum the size of a golf ball or so then below the "scum" 6-8" of perfect white roots. I try to not touch roots I dunked them up and down and the scum washes off.

when i grow i like multiple strains and usually a few of each, for me its a trade off between keeping the healthiest plants happy and letting the rest get on with it, with higher numbers alllowing me to bin the stragglers i can sometimes keep them uniform but its not always the case and i find you just have to accept it and get on with it.

I have 4'x4' rooms with 1000w hps. In each. 3 flower rooms. I have only ran a single strain run 1 time with great results. But with variety being the spice of life I usually have 4 strains in each. I have 4 keeper strains and dedicate 1 room to finding that something special. Its wild how radically diff the plants grow depending on what strain is in with them. I'm going to have to have 1 room og sour og because it dominates every plant it grows with. My blueberry and a critical mass x jack h were both good yeilder a but the vigor of the sour og dominates the 2 and they gt 1/2 their normal yeild. Bottom line I couldn't agree with you more.
i'd say if it's 10% or there abouts then it's an acceptable loss, obviously we strive for 100% but dealing with living things isnt always as easy as we'd like..sometimes you do get the runt of the litter through seed or through cut and that individual will struggle to keep up with the pack, from seed it is sometimes worth bearing with the runt as it may replicate the ugly duckling story and mature into a beautiful swan

Again I totally agree with you. The last seedling this happened to was super lemon haze. I didn't notice it as soon and she battled thru veg. In flower she was amazing and turned a 3 mom stable into 4.

Have a good day all!!

the first 2 pics are day 20 the next 2 are from today #26. Nmber 1 is a monster and changes everytime I see her. number 2 is doing great but she has a different growth pattern than #1. I am starting to get a little worried as #1 is already 16"-18" tall already and my flower room isnt finished till this weeekend.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 43
Flower time!!

Hello all,
This morning I put both 5C's in flower. #1 (the bigger of 2) has showed it's sex, It's a girl!! I will post pics soon.

Sweet! I'm pulling up a seat by the fire...

NL5xHz is something I need to run. I remember the late '80s Seed Bank catalog (and the warning) and have always wanted to raise some.

I can relate to construction schedules. A forest of SSH plants and cuts is outgrowing my gig, and I need to expand. Next week is probably the soonest I can get in there though, and being idle until then is annoying.

Have Fun!

Last edited:
Thanks for stopping by. That warning is making this grow too dam exciting and I must say sets an impossible standard. They were dropped in flower on the 8th. They are stretching good. I need to get my scrog replaced soon. I had to leave a super lemon haze and a sage n sour in flower for an extra week. So I cut part of my scrog out to get out two plants to make room.

#2 is a male. He stretched more than #1. He has been removed from the room but I have a clone. I want to do some pollen chucking but want to have a hazey male. This guy did stretch but I need more experience with the strain to be able to decide the traits to breed with. The mix I want to make is 5c x blueberry. I've had the blueberry for over 2 years its pure fire with a distinct smell.

everything is going well. She has atleast tripled in size and is very fun to watch. not much more I can say as of now. this is a lights off pic so i didnt get all of her and the yellowing leaf on bottom right is from a plant thats taking her time to finish and ive been working around.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Maxamizing light!!! Ive had plenty of leaf annonomies but usually only 1 extra finger not 3!

This pic is from the #1 during the switch from veg to flower

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 585
Observation

Well thru veg. I would of bet she was indica Dom. Now 24 days in to flower she has all sativa qualitys. The leafs are very sparse and thin fingered now opposed to the pic above. I'm guessing I prolly have 8-9 weeks left with this girl. I will try for some better quality pics but I'm struggling with that. I have 3 phantom ballast (3 seperate rooms) and I can take pics with lights on no problem. She is in a room with a sunsytem ballast and every pic with lights on has black lines running thru and is poor quality. I only paid 40$ for the ballast, cool tube, and bulb so I should stop being cheap and upgrade. And I am working with a camera phone to start.

Last edited:
nl5haze

Hi im having a go with the same strain and looking forward to a taste test soon, wondering how it compares to old version, anyway good luck :D

Hi im having a go with the same strain and looking forward to a taste test soon, wondering how it compares to old version, anyway good luck :D

Hello and thanks for dropping in. How far along are yours? I can't say for sure I've had the old version. I read your post where you called it piney turbo herb. I have had fire ass weed we called Christmas tree buds but not sure what it really was.

First let me say.... I've had plants that the smell changes constantly till the cure is finished. Others that I've grown start with a distinct smell in the beginning and the cured product is exactly the same. That being said and this being a first run.... I'm getting a strong mango skin smell right now from moving the branches around. I know the 122 was a mango pheno. I'm not familiar enough with this strain to know if that pheno pops up here in there or what. Or as I said if it will end up that way.

Everything is going well. The smell has completely changed it was a ripe mango / berry smell now it's very unpleasant and tough to describe. I have the clone from her ready to go in a different flower room and will be cracking a couple more seeds today. I have to say I wish I could run a pack at once and observe all the differences. But it's important for me to stay legal and stay on regular harvest schedule

Back