NL5 x Afghan - 2 Seedlings Spawned From The Same Singular Seed..

Yourz Truly

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've last posted here as I've been really busy with life and getting things started with my/our current grow. Anyway my partner and I discussed how many beans we were going to hatch and decided on only germinating 5 of the 15 beans in order to work around the clone we were given from a friend of friend (taken approximately 2 weeks after the flower period had been induced).

Anyway 2 out of the 5 have not only hatched but they've kicked out nice healthy seedlings, however, one of those sprouts has spawned 2 seedlings from the same single seed! It's literally like a case of conjoined twins!!

Here, see for yourselves! I've NEVER seen anything remotely like it in all the time I've been growing...

20161111_223302.jpg

So naturally because I've never seen this type of thing happen before I've got a few questions I was hoping someone experienced in this issue could impart some wisdom on??

Thanks in advance to any and all contributions to my questions.

• Has anybody else out there experienced this before?

• Just how common of a phenomena is this?

• Are both these seedlings sharing the same tap-root? Or is there a tap-root of each seedling?

• Would it be fair to assume that both seedlings would be the same sex if both of them were left to grow out?

• Is it at all possible to separate these two seedlings from the same jiffy puck in order to transplant it to it's own medium? Or is it going to be a matter of having to cull off a lesser desirable seedling instead?

That's about it for now. A huge thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

Take care and comb your hair peoples!

PEACE FAM. ✌✌

Well, as there are two cotyledon leaf pairs, so likely there are two separate root systems and these are individual and not identical twins. I have never seen this happen from one seed myself, in many hundreds of Cannabis seeds that I have germinated. So I do not think that it is very common.

Thanks Big Sur..

Yo Big Sur,

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave your input. I initially thought exactly the same thing as you've stated; two individual cotelydon present so therefore two individual root systems must be burrowing their way through the jiffy pucks.

Do you know if this is 100% certain or is there every chance that it's two seedlings sharing the same root system?

Do you have any idea as to how to go about separating the two seedlings in order to transplant the secondary (smaller) seedling without killing it and/or the larger seedling in the process?

Another thing I forgot to mention was that the very first root was visibly shooting out from the side of the jiffy puck at day 3 of it's lifetime!

That's a level of vigour that I've NEVER SEEN BEFORE IN MY LIFE! It's important to note that we aren't employing the use of any heat mats or temperature adjusted water either!! So that speaks volumes as to the vigour of these beautiful beans! MNS straight up knock it out the park regarding the vigour of their seed stock.

Last edited:
Hiya YT.
I had one in mm earlier this year, and I think the Bro had one too, so they're not unheard of. Ashamed to say I just killed the weaker one.
They are two separate plants, don't know about the sex thing.
I guess they could be carefully separated, but might be better to grow them on 'til cuttings can be taken then go from there.
Take care.

Hiya YT.
I had one in mm earlier this year, and I think the Bro had one too, so they're not unheard of. Ashamed to say I just killed the weaker one.
They are two separate plants, don't know about the sex thing.
I guess they could be carefully separated, but might be better to grow them on 'til cuttings can be taken then go from there.
Take care.

Hey champ, I left a message on your profile. Thanks for getting back to me on this. It’s relieving and yet somewhat a little disappointing that it's not all that uncommon of a phenomena.

I thought I had a master's stroke of fortune and had unearthed some sort of statistically near-impossible discovery for a minute!!

But in all seriousness, I'm glad it's not an uncommon occurrence. I'll do my best to separate the two from the jiffy without causing any damage tothe roots and/or shocking the infants!

It’s relieving and yet somewhat a little disappointing that it's not all that uncommon of a phenomena.

We are still talking one in hundreds or so if you ask me.
So not really all that common but also not unheard of.

I had a twofer with the C99 in my first round as well.

The jury still seems to be out whether or not they are genetically the same etc. but I can tell you that they smell and look the same, one just larger than the other. Grew the same as well.

So my money is on it being basically like a clone with one winning the battle for root space and becoming larger while the other lags behind.

In that sense I believe it wasn't a mistake or anything by Beau to eliminate one. The jury also seems to be out on whether they yield more if you eliminate one or if you keep them both.

I believe ultimately it doesn't make a huge difference.

Some over at IC also said they can be genetically different and thus worth saving both etc. etc.

For now I can't tell a difference and assume they are the same plant. Will know with more certainty after harvest, cure and test.

I would categorize as a rare phenomenon but nothing noteworthy or relevant.

Just my 2 cents

Bro

We are still talking one in hundreds or so if you ask me.
So not really all that common but also not unheard of.

yep

happens more often than 1 in 1000 , id even say 1 in 200 hits it right on the nail

never had the luck to bring both to maturity, one always died in the process of life

had about ten such siamese twins, its not always the smaller one thats going to die

imho something for de-selecting (cell division fail)

I have had good luck with separating newly germinated plants of all types, not just Cannabis. It might be harder in peat pots. I would just slice one side with a razor and peel them apart, very gently and slowly. Then ease the roots apart. Or slice open the peat pot and dunk it in water and let the water break up the peat and they should come apart.

I grow mostly landraces, and as such I have never seen this happen. It may have happened early on when I germinated in soil. I would more than likely have just thought that I put 2 seeds in one planter. I germinate in paper towels now, and I use forceps to pop seeds that are reluctant to open (after filing the hulls down a bit beforehand). Using this later method, I never had any twins.

I cannot be certain about them not being conjoined Siamese twins joined at the root, but I doubt it. If they were twins in the seed, they would grow as separate plants with two root systems. I suppose that they could also naturally root graft though? Even if they are not the same sex or genetically identical, they could easily graft.

Yo Big Sur,

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave your input. I initially thought exactly the same thing as you've stated; two individual cotelydon present so therefore two individual root systems must be burrowing their way through the jiffy pucks.

Do you know if this is 100% certain or is there every chance that it's two seedlings sharing the same root system?

Do you have any idea as to how to go about separating the two seedlings in order to transplant the secondary (smaller) seedling without killing it and/or the larger seedling in the process?

Another thing I forgot to mention was that the very first root was visibly shooting out from the side of the jiffy puck at day 3 of it's lifetime!

That's a level of vigour that I've NEVER SEEN BEFORE IN MY LIFE! It's important to note that we aren't employing the use of any heat mats or temperature adjusted water either!! So that speaks volumes as to the vigour of these beautiful beans! MNS straight up knock it out the park regarding the vigour of their seed stock.

Well guys, this thread was surely short-lived! It turns out that apparently the house and by extension the tent had suffered from an electrical blackout resulting in the untimely demise of "The Twins".

Add to that the loss of an additional 3 seedlings and 2 seeds literally being tipped out down the drain with the water that they were soaking in 24 hours prior!!

(Furiously smashes away @ his specially made 'sarcasm key' on his keyboard!!)...

[sarcasm]
I've been doing cartwheels since my mate told me what had happened!
[/sarcasm]

R.I.P. "Ronnie" & "Reggie"!!

I know they're male names but they're the only twins I can think of naming my little guys after as they would've been some gangster-ass, killer nuggets!

I could've named them "Mary-Kate" & "Ashley" but then they would've grown to develop "nutrion uptake disorders" and looked even more sickly then they did in their final day on Earth. And I suspect if they were left to fully ripen they would've only induced a prolonged headache and a bad taste in one's mouth when consumed! :D :D :D ;)

*Starts whistling*
Always look on the bright side of life!

Doop..ditt-doop... Dittdoopiddy doop ditt doop!!

Last edited:
I also just want to take a second to thank you all (Beau, Big Sur, Broseidon & Deran) for taking the time to contribute to the thread.

If anyone else has anything to add on the subject of "twofer" seeds then by all means please feel free to make a contribution but as for my little guys well the subject is pretty much closed unless you have any questions of your own that you feel may be able answer based on my own brief experience with the elusive "twofer".

Thanks everybody.

Sorry to hear about the fate and demise of the Oz Twins down undah.

I was reading that you guys need to put Velcro down or else everything falls off the other side of the earth! Must be difficult waking around that way, eh? :D

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Sorry to hear about the fate and demise of the Oz Twins down undah.

I was reading that you guys need to put Velcro down or else everything falls off the other side of the earth! Must be difficult waking around that way, eh? :D

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

What up Big Sur,

Where on Earth did you read that?? This type of misinformation is exactly the type of crap I've come to expect when it comes to the representation of my country and it's people.

You’re obviously subscribing to what I call "The Simpsons Theory, you know the 'which direction does your toilet's flush spin' episode.

NO! NO! NO! Don't believe everything you hear, read or see on TV.

If you want to know the truth of the matter, we actually do everything backwards in this country! We walk backward, we talk backward and we run the country in a disgustingly backward manner.

Our sovereignty & ability to govern ourselves - backwards.

Our treatment of our indigenous people - BACKWARDS!
(A MASSIVE UNDERSTATEMENT!!)

Our treatment of refugees - Abhorrently backward.

Our ability to adapt to new technology - super backward.

Our sense of identity - backwards.

Our choice of 'national sports' - backward.
(Hate me all you want Australia, you know its true!)

Our current state of medical cannabis propositions and the direction it's heading toward - backwards.

It’s not all shrimp & BBQ's over here.

Oh then there's the gangland murders/shootings happening on the daily near where I'm from.

Shanti/Scott & Nevil were the two best things to come out of this country. PERIOD!!

Whoa!! Based off my last post, how would you best describe my personality or at least my outlook on life?

A) Cynical
B) Jaded
C) Realistic
D) All of the above

Maybe I should start a poll and let the community at large decide on my state of mental health.

Truth be known, I had intended initially to reply to Sur's little wisecrack at us being on the south side of the equator with something as equally cheeky but instead ended up coming off like a watered-down version of an even more cynical and jaded Doug Stanhope.

Seriously look him up if you don't know who I'm talking about!! You'll be doing yourself a big favour, that is unless you're allergic to laughter.

The only difference between Doug and myself is that Doug Stanhope is actually really funny!!

Last edited:
Success

2 of these just happened to me out of a 6 pack. I was able to seperate the 2 sprouts using root cubes. The root was pushing out the hole and I could pull apart shoots from each other. I transplanted the smaller one into soil and its now healthy and the weed leaves are starting to grow. The other pair I left alone because they are tighter together I will letem grow and take clones later for safety.

Back