NL#2

IMO the extra punch counter-balances the strong tolerance everyday tokers develop.
Although it might zombify you the first couple go's, over time it'll be less routine altering..
But, still ring the bell every time.

I hear you. Many get relief from the plants you speak of including myself. I just can't zombie during the day. Glad you are finding some gems in the NL5xAfghan line.

🤙Mu
IMO the extra punch counter-balances the strong tolerance everyday tokers develop.
Although it might zombify you the first couple go's, over time it'll be less routine altering..
But, still ring the bell every time.
i have always been the opposite. I find the sleepy time, couch lock, zombifying indica often energize me. Where as I can smoke a sativa and it will couch lock me as my mind is now preoccupied.
and I am the most excited person on the planet, I, am literally, and figuratively walking on sunshine w/ all the wonderful things I have been finding from seed lately. Every single breeder who spent time hunting old lines, and Shanti, the Keeper of the Old Lines, is just dropping so much old school goodness its silly.

Alright, now that my outdoor plants are starting to look interesting, I'm going to show you my 2 NL2 versions.

This is called R2 in my part of Canada. Whether or not she is pure NL2 is still in question,one of these days I'm going to interview the guy who first planted the seed. I got the clone from a close friend of his. It's been around since at least the 90's, it's strong, quite, resistant to shitty weather and pests and should be mature in the middle of September. She is just starting to bud. This cut has been untouched since the originator started it
messages_0(9).jpeg

Next is a R2/Friesland cross done by a guy referred to as dehash on IG (although his account was recently shut down. Too bad, he was showcasing some awesome old school strains and new crosses with them). Anyhow, after spending time with Nevil back in the day, he returned home to the northern part of my province, tried a popular clone called R2 and recognized it as NL2. He worked it towards his own R2(NL2) seedline. There also happens to be another SSSC strain quite popular in Eastern Canada called Friesland (M33), which is just as bulletproof as R2. The following photos are of that cross, from seeds he gifted me.

messages_0(8).jpeg

I didn't get the seeds till later in the season, that's why they are so sparse. I just transplanted them into these fabric pots, I'm starting to think I may want to reposition the one on the left sideways as well. Both of these are females and budding, about a weeka head of the R2. I have one more which is hard to get to at the moment, and hasn't been sexed yet.

messages_0(7).jpeg

The R2/Friesland on the left has red stems all the way up to where the 7 segments join up to it. I think it's an attractive trait

PXL_20210824_170301364_copy_756x1008_1.jpg
Here's the R2, I've made a request to meet and interview the guy who started the R2 craze. Do any of you have suggestions for me to ask him? The rumor has been that it's NL2, but some speculate there's also skunk in there. My main question will be where the seed came from, what it was and whether or not he bred it.

PXL_20210824_170324771_copy_1008x756.jpg

Here's the Friesland/R2 (dehash version) cross, super early and quite frosty for their age IMO. I started them late in the season, so I'll only have a limited amount to consume this year

I've been mostly exploring whatever strains interest me, since I discovered seedbanks. They have all made it so far, but some get reaped before fully mature and I'll lose some branches to mold because of the fall weather. These two have sparked my interest in bulletproof and early strains, perhaps something I'll focus on in the future outdoor grows

You are doing a fine job growing, Deach69! :) Also, don't forget to ask him if he can get me some seeds! ;) Also interested in bulletproof and early strains as I live in a northern, PM & mold infested growing area! Keep us updated on how you make out! I mean how your plants make out to be clear.

Longball

I'm pretty new when it comes to knowing and understanding strains. In my neck of Canada, hashish was pretty much all we had access to. Most weed was "homegrown" and awful, so it was usually avoided. But then in in the late 90s, I was gifted some clones called R2 and gave it a shot (homegrown was always shitty so I was weary, but also trusted the source who gave them to me). "Freezeland" was also available but not as strong as the R2. It (R2) turned out to be awesome stuff, despite the fact that I was using a dehydrator to dry them (I had access to land to grow, not proper drying space. LOL, I had it drying outdoors on my back porch, with a garbage can propped over it).

Anyhow, as of last summer season, I finally grew out some MNS strains and noticed a beautiful difference between them and the strains I was choosing from Attitude, because of the pretty pictures. I love Ortega in particular, and I also finally got an understanding of what a sativa is, because of some SSH I also grown out. Since then, I have spent an awful lot of time learning about lineages, and wow, this is definitely the best forum to learn from IMO.

Because of Ortega, I've been looking into other "breeders" and their work with NL in particular. I noticed in the Swami seed lists that he had an R2 strain mixed in with a bunch of his strains (usually with M33, Friesland). Sent him an email asking about it, mentioning that we have a very popular clone only strain in my parts with the same designation. I haven't heard back from him yet, but after scrounging through his instagram posts, I found what I am including here in the screenshots I'll be uploading. The screenshots seem to be a conversation between "Swami" and someone who goes by the initial "D", a close friend of Nevil. In it, they discuss long lost R2 and how it was isolated and inbred in my backyard, 30 minute drive away.

View attachment 47474View attachment 47475View attachment 47471View attachment 47472View attachment 47473View attachment 47476

I can't be sure I have the screenshots in the right order, and I may be missing some as well, but as far as I can tell, that's all he put up. Doesn't make a clear picture to me, but it may to some of you. I'd really like to hear what you folks think, I'm kind of excited about the thought of NL2 possibly being preserved and worked here.

*edit* I didn't mean that it was literally in my backyard BTW, just close to where I live, my neck of the woods. I have been asked if I was the D referred to above, I am not
Me too. Dhash is his name. I was hoping to buy some seeds from him and it looks like he got kicked of Instagram.
seems like a nice guy, said he strains make it in New Brunswick, and yes swami has some of his crosses.
I’d like to purchase whatever R2 or strain he says is most outdoor hardy and early.

View attachment 53461
Here's the R2, I've made a request to meet and interview the guy who started the R2 craze. Do any of you have suggestions for me to ask him? The rumor has been that it's NL2, but some speculate there's also skunk in there. My main question will be where the seed came from, what it was and whether or not he bred it.

View attachment 53462

Here's the Friesland/R2 (dehash version) cross, super early and quite frosty for their age IMO. I started them late in the season, so I'll only have a limited amount to consume this year

I've been mostly exploring whatever strains interest me, since I discovered seedbanks. They have all made it so far, but some get reaped before fully mature and I'll lose some branches to mold because of the fall weather. These two have sparked my interest in bulletproof and early strains, perhaps something I'll focus on in the future outdoor grows
Me too. I want these

I’m
You are doing a fine job growing, Deach69! :) Also, don't forget to ask him if he can get me some seeds! ;) Also interested in bulletproof and early strains as I live in a northern, PM & mold infested growing area! Keep us updated on how you make out! I mean how your plants make out to be clear.

Longball
longball, I am on the hunt for these. You know it. Briefly texted Dhash. I like him, then he vanished off Instagram.

I think I have confused things a little. I started talking about R2 in the NL2 thread, which is a very old cut from back in the SSSC days, and it thrives in my neck of Canada. I would like to meet the keeper of this cut and ask about it's history, because there are many different stories out there about it. Meanwhile there are others out there who have worked on creating a seed form of it and also bred it to create new bulletproof/early hybrids.

My bringing up R2 (NL2) and Friesland here is to show how these forgotten strains are still keepin on

messages_0(12).jpegmessages_0(11).jpeg
These are 2 of 3 of my Friesland/NL2 crosses. I started them late in the season, so I'll only get a taste for them this year. Vigorous, early, frosty budlets as well as the sugar leaves. Should be done near the end of September

messages_0(14).jpeg

The Sativa leaf apparently belongs to the Friesland side of the cross. Not what I expected because when I lookup Friesland on the net, it is supposed to be an Indica. My buddy who has been breeding these says it confirms his belief that Friesland is a Sativa. Meanwhile, under my hand is apparently a typical NL2 Hindu Kush broad leaf. The dark green just tops off the beauty of these plants.

messages_0(13).jpeg

And this is the famous Eastern Canadian R2( original Ron's cut). Now that I have seen the broadleaf on NL2, I understand how one can tell there is more than just NL2 in it. I'm waiting for the call, to interview the keeper of this plant, to find out the history of the seed that sprung it. My friend who bred the NL2 out of the clone suspects the original was a SSSC NL2/Skunk

View attachment 53838

And this is the famous Eastern Canadian R2( original Ron's cut). Now that I have seen the broadleaf on NL2, I understand how one can tell there is more than just NL2 in it. I'm waiting for the call, to interview the keeper of this plant, to find out the history of the seed that sprung it. My friend who bred the NL2 out of the clone suspects the original was a SSSC NL2/Skunk

NL#2 and HK variants (including Landrace HK) also carry Narrow leaf traits.

I've grown plenty of Skunk in the past mostly all from the 90's and 80's, that doesn't look much like skunk.

What's the stem rub smell on her??

NL#2 and HK variants (including Landrace HK) also carry Narrow leaf traits.

I've grown plenty of Skunk in the past mostly all from the 90's and 80's, that doesn't look much like skunk.

What's the stem rub smell on her??
Thanks for your point of view, I haven't tried growing skunk yet, and it's tough for me to compare leaves from the internet. An interview should hopefully clarify things, if it happens.

Hard to describe the stem smell, other than a sweet green

Did you ever grow out those R2 seeds?

Back