Neville's Skunk OD short season

Green 4 Good

Hi everyone. I'm new around here and excited to start this grow log and to grow some MNS gear. I only have two going at the moment because I can only flower 3 plants with my medical card here in Hawaii. Sooo, I hope these two will be enough to keep people interested. I dream of the day I will be able to do some real selection with these babies. For now though, I'm happy to even have two.

K, on to the good stuff. I will be running these on 18/6 in veg(i put them under 6500K T5 at night). I still haven't let a seed go on natural light this late in the season. I've heard they won't start to flower until they are mature, but I like being in control of how developed they are when they start flowering.

They are being grown in soil w/ organic amendments and given compost teas every week or so.

Here are some seed shots(Nev C, Nev L)

Nev C and L were started a week apart, so here is C at 3 wks and L at 2 wks

I can't figure out how to separate the pics, so they are all together, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

I labeled them C and L for Cancer and Libra. I've been gardening by the moon, so this is an experiment. Cancer is supposed to be the best sign for planting, and Libra the best sign for large blooms. I imagine there won't be too much of a difference. They both look really healthy so far.....well, except for a very small touch of a fungus that is causing a leaf or two to curl at the ends. I sprayed them with serenade, but it burnt them a little so I'm happy I got these pics first.

*edit* Nev C already smells quite skunky....mmmmmm

Attachments

• P1010376.JPG
    P1010376.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010358.JPG
    P1010358.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010532.JPG
    P1010532.JPG
    444.8 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010534.JPG
    P1010534.JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Ha, man ...

If one of them is a boy you may want to plant another strain if this is all you are going to have for herb, unless you wanna look like an invalid and have to wear a drool bib. :D

Honestly, ask some of the other guys who have smoked it . It is some of the strongest herb I have ever smoked and it is one of those completely wasted stones.

Maybe you will get lucky and get an extremely Nev's Haze leaning phenotype so you can at least stay awake if you are in the mood for a few joints instead of a few hits.

I have grown a lot of Mr Nice strains since I started growing again a few years ago and Nev's Skunk is, and I mean this- it is the strongest herb I have grown since I started growing again and is in the top 5 I have ever had.

I only had one female but I do have more growing now. It was so strong I waited until I had a nice variety of mothers before I messed with this stuff again - I didn't want to have just herb that made simple mathematics seem like calculus. Ha, I swear!!

If you have nothing else, just grow a few poppies and smoke opium. I bet you'd get more done then if you got a couple like the phenotype like I had.

Man, please please please try and keep photo updates of these things grown in the HI sun. Brother, I can only imagine.... And LEGAL!!! I have only had the pleasure of purchasing herb from HI about a dozen times in my life and it has been at least 15 years since the last time but, it was always amazing. A lot of the herb, from islands, that make it to the main land is not grown, picked at peak, dried, packed, or cured properly. The herb I always had from HI was done perfect in all aspects but it had this sun-kissed flavor ... a sweetness ... It is hard to explain if people haven't had it. You can taste the salt water, the full sunshine, and the buzz was always different than anything I had ever smoked, it was just a different high. Everything I ever had from there, the growers obviously took a lot of pride in their work.

Sorry to ramble in your thread. I am really excited to see what happens with you and these killer genetics.

Good luck!!!
R

Hi Green4Good, welcome again and thanks for posting your journal.

Wishing you a lot of success on your outdoor show!

Looking forward to see what kind of flowering times you get and even more interested about potency after Ronin shared his thought on its strength...

Good luck,

CM

sex time

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll definitely keep in mind that this isn't an all day smoke. Well, it looks like Nev C is a male. I'm about 98% sure. I kinda expected some of the new ones I just planted to be boys cuz I stressed them pretty hard with light cycle changes early on.

I'm not sure whether to keep the dude or not. I kinda don't want to deal with keeping the male since my numbers have to be so low already. If anyone thinks this is a horrible mistake, let me know so I have time to change my mind.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll definitely keep in mind that this isn't an all day smoke. Well, it looks like Nev C is a male. I'm about 98% sure. I kinda expected some of the new ones I just planted to be boys cuz I stressed them pretty hard with light cycle changes early on.

I'm not sure whether to keep the dude or not. I kinda don't want to deal with keeping the male since my numbers have to be so low already. If anyone thinks this is a horrible mistake, let me know so I have time to change my mind.

you can always just flower the male out under any sort of light (florescents work good 8 hours on 16 off) hidden away, collect pollen/store it and kill the male...

G`day Green 4 Good
Just a suggestion ; males don`t generally need as much light or root space .If you could place him in an inconspicuous spot .Long grass or under the low boughs of a shady tree .The container can be laid on its side and a hole bored in the side of the pot and watered thru this if required . Doing this lowers the profile of the plant and a person would have to be standing almost on top of it to spot it .
I have used this method and have had good results .The biggest hurdle is wet weather ruining the pollen .
Looking fwd to seeing your op .
Thanks for sharin
Elmer Bud .

That's two votes to keep him. I guess I will. I already have a spot that I used with my last set of males. I had a hard time seeing them standing 6 feet away. I"m new to growing so, I've never lost a male and regretted it, but I don't wanna start now.

Here's a photo update of Nev L which turned out to be a female. She's about 4 weeks in this pic. Since Nev C turned out male and some space got freed up in my garden, I put two more seeds in soil a few days ago and both sprouted. I also transplanted Nev L into a 3 gal from a 1 gal. Nice healthy and vigorous root system. You can see in the last pic how the plants grow toward the southern sky in pursuit of the sun.

Also, I've given up on the moon cycle experiment. I realized I have no way of making a control group, so I can't really compare my results with anything. I still believe the celestial bodies have an influence on plants, however, so I still pay attention to what the moon is doing.

I don't fancy myself a photographer, so I hope these give an ok representation of what's going on. Any suggestions on how to improve are appreciated.

Attachments

• P1010612.jpg
    P1010612.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010613.jpg
    P1010613.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010617.jpg
    P1010617.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 9
chugging along nicely

Here's another photo update. She's looking like she's finally starting to take off. Been very healthy with vigorous growth the whole way, but now the rate of growth has easily doubled. I think the transplant was worthwhile. I have two babies that are a week old going strong too. I'll get some pics up soon.

I think this one is right around 49 days veg. I'll be taking cuttings soon and putting her out to flower after about another 6-10" of growth. Right now she's around 20" tall. She's usually super perky, good vigor with this strain, but the sun had already started to go down so the leaves were starting to droop.

The smell on this one has been a bit faint. I've never smelled incense from a cannabis plant before, but I would say it has a bit of it. It just smells pleasant like a beautiful woman. There's a bit of green/herbal smell mixed in but that could just be because the incense smell is so faint.

G4G

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    573.3 KB · Views: 10
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    558.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    539.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    567.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I'm really liking this plant and the growing experience so far. It's vigorous, smells lovely, and I like the structure. It's done well even with a couple solid weeks of overcast and showers....(no pm and showed good growth even without much light)

The smell is definitely an incense smell, and I just got a faint hit of citrus today. It's a wonderfully intoxicating smell.

I also like the open christmas tree structure. I feel like the entire plant gets good light penetration which I think makes more of a difference outdoors when growing in the winter. Since I'm not yet skilled in the art of training, and don't really want to be bothered with it, this one is perfect for me. Also, because of the NL influence, this bitch is strong. I really like the stems of all the NLx plants I have grown. I haven't even had to stake her, and the winds have easily been gusting 40-50. Oh yeah, another great thing about the open structure is that the branches don't catch as much wind and torque the stem around. I've been contemplating taking and posting a video of some blowing in the wind just for reference.

It's looking like, and I'm really hoping this one shapes up to be a 12 week or quicker flowering Neville's Haze. Whatever it turns out to be, I'm excited about it.

I took some clones today and transplanted from a 3gal to a 7gal pot, and I ate some of the excess leaves from the clones. I got a nice euphoric, slightly trippy feeling from it. All signs indicate a winner so far.

I think we're at about day 70 on the veg time. I'm gonna let her fill out her pot a bit before I switch her to only sunlight for flowering. Right around two weeks I think if conditions stay about the same as they are now.
[URL=http://www.dayzeddesigns.com/viewer.php?file=e8jqrcbm2whoeorvq3h0.jpg][/URL]

Last edited:
Looking great, I'll throw up some pics of my clones hitting flower tomorrow. I have 9 Neville's Skunk clones hitting flower from 9 different plants, let's hope they're all girls! (lol) At least half anyways ;)

Yeah, let's hope. It would be nice to see what kind of variety in females this strain has to offer. How tall are they going into flower?

Right on-HOLY WIND! Blew over my good sized avo tree. Do you have any pics of your NL5Hz you can post? I'm all about this strain right now..got 6 i just put out to flower..Thanks

Attachments

• P1111979.jpg
    P1111979.jpg
    679.8 KB · Views: 27
Wow, that's some wind...you on the Big Island? We've been getting dumped on, but the wind isn't strong enough to knock avos over yet LOL! I do have pics of my NLxHz, I just don't know where to post them. I guess I could put some here. I'll get them up as soon as I can.

Are all of the plants in the pic NLHz or just the ones in front? They look very similar to mine. About the same size too. Do you do the double pot thing for sun protection? Right now I paint my pots white, and it lowers the surface temp of the pot about 30 degrees, but I would like to be lazier and just use two pots if that works.:p

Man, just looked at the weather radar and Oahu is getting WORKED right now.

Yeah, I'm still on Oahu, will be over on the BI in a few years though, thats where I want to end up and raise my daughter. Yeah, the kona winds just gave it to us.
In the pic the bottom left 6 are the NlHz, other vegers are SSSDH, Tahoe and OGCHem. The flowers in the back are CC Deadhead OG. Just been running chems or Shantis stuff. I've got 5 cards now at my address.
Yep, the ole lazy double pot trick seems to work OK, probably better if the outside pot was white.
Can't wait to see some pics of your plants, you got NSk and NL5hz, anything else?
I made seeds too this run, trying to get acclimitization.

Well, the sun really hasn't been too available lately. I'd say I've been averaging I full day of sun out of every 7 for the past 4-6 weeks. There are so many microclimates here. I'm actually a microclimate within a microclimate as I'm in one of the rainier spots on the island and also on the leeward side of a forest which transpires a ton of moisture and creates a nice overcast right over me when it's sunny a few miles down the road. I'm pretty happy with the size it's gotten, but I know this hybrid can get much bigger given more space for the rootzone and LOTS of light. I also had to keep it in the corner of the nighttime veg room because it was getting too tall to be under the light so it wasn't getting the most direct light. Anyhow, it still smells delicious, and I have high hopes.

These pics were taken a week or two ago

This pic was taken today....about four days of flower/85 days from seed(no supplemental nighttime lighting)

I pruned most of the big fan leaves yesterday except for a few at the top. This decision was based on three things: 1) They were losing too much of their defenses from all this cold weather and starting to pick up more bugs than I like to have hanging around. A few bugs here and there seem to be ok, but not alot. 2) The sunlight not being very reliable, I wanted to get as much light into the canopy as possible. 3) I've been reading the Growing Large Plants Outdoors thread at icmag and some of those nutjob 10+lb plant growers get extra pounds sometimes by aggressive pruning and it just gave me an itchy trigger finger. It might not have been the best to do it during the transition to flower, but I still wanted to experiment with it and I think it will work out ok.

Surfdout, I'm also growing Thai Lights by Doc Atomic, Cantaloupe Skunk, (Ultimate Chem)x(OG Raskal OG Kush), and oh yeah I have one more Neville's Skunk that is about 5 weeks old and declared female so I will get pics up. These are all new to me, so lots of discoveries yet to make.

Itchy Fingers

What An Inspiring Thread ;)
Brings Back Memories of The Mr Nice Early Haze Testers Grow I Participated In Two Summers Back .
So Far I've Not Had Any Bad Experiences Growing MNS Strains , And Must Say The Variety Of Phenotypes Have Been Equally Impressive.
I've Yet To Have A Go With Any Of ( That I Know Of ) Nevil's Strains
Early Skunk Sounds Nice
My Body Clock Is Reminding Me It's Time To Get A Poppin Where I Live .
Keep Up The Nice Show:)
JKP

Plants look nice man! What you neem them every other day? j/K Bummers on the sunlight, winter time eh? How's your sun in summer? Been voggy over there?
Sold my car..as soon as Shanti gets back to me gonna order 10-15 seed packs and that should keep me busy for a while...just got devil, dreamtime, and early queen in. I still got half a pack of walkabout, good ones in there too.

Back