Need a fast finisher, recommendations?

Junglejim1212

I’ve always grown for flavor and uniqueness of plants. The majority of the strains I’ve grown have been 10.5/13 week flowering strains with medium yields. I’m now looking to add a faster finisher with higher yields (cliche I know)

Would prefer something with a fruity taste as well but not a deal breaker.

I’m thinking critical mass or critical haze. Any opinions on one over the other? Other MNS strain recommendations? I’ve heard good things about ASH but not sure about finish time.

JJ

Hello JJ12!

I have not grown Critical Haze but I am thinking of trying it next year. My only concern is I am growing at 42N in eastern NY so a mid-October finish is iffy.

Longball

Last edited:
I’ve always grown for flavor and uniqueness of plants. The majority of the strains I’ve grown have been 10.5/13 week flowering strains with medium yields. I’m now looking to add a faster finisher with higher yields (cliche I know)

Would prefer something with a fruity taste as well but not a deal breaker.

I’m thinking critical mass or critical haze. Any opinions on one over the other? Other MNS strain recommendations? I’ve heard good things about ASH but not sure about finish time.

JJ
Why not Critical Skunk?

🤙
Mu

Critical Mass, Critical Widow or Critical Skunk you want quick and heavy yields can't go wrong with the Critical's. Critical Haze will take a little bit longer.

Almost surprised we don't have a Critical G13 yet. Lol, Shit is no joke either can't go wrong with a pack of Shit and it's cheap as hell and it's got to be in my top 5 for MNS.

Last edited:
I came here to say Critical Mass.
Then I saw it was one of your suggestions.

Cannot go wrong with Critical Mass.
Large bud phenos have weak taste/smell but excellent high
Tight bud phenos are very berry in taste/smell and the smoke will knock you out.

Both excellent, I found my least favourite plants were the in between phenos.

All plants were fast.

I highly recommend Critical Mass ..

In your consideration, suggest you read my dear braddah Prof JJ's thread on CS. Well respected here before his abrupt absence, he had incredible pics that were removed bc of his difficulty. :cry:
In it he also mentions Medicine Man which I too, can highly recommend. Take a look at some of my Medman pics in Media to get an idea. Good hunting!

🤙
Mu

In your consideration, suggest you read my dear braddah Prof JJ's thread on CS. Well respected here before his abrupt absence, he had incredible pics that were removed bc of his difficulty. :cry:
In it he also mentions Medicine Man which I too, can highly recommend. Take a look at some of my Medman pics in Media to get an idea. Good hunting!

🤙
Mu

Just checked out your med man. Looks good!

Good choice JJim! When it comes to Critical, blunt knows that plant pretty well and Seed Collector's description of the slightly pointy ones and the round tops is right on. Good hunting!

🤙
Mu

A little breeding question...when selecting for early finishing genetics does the early flower plant tend to be an early finisher?

Probably no short cuts.
I suppose that is the essence of breeding.
I have been making seeds now for decades, but I am just a beginner at breeding.
To me the most difficult part of breeding involves the selection of the male...
For example if you are hoping to select for early finish, how do you choose a male?

Probably no short cuts.
I suppose that is the essence of breeding.
I have been making seeds now for decades, but I am just a beginner at breeding.
To me the most difficult part of breeding involves the selection of the male...
For example if you are hoping to select for early finish, how do you choose a male?
Hey, male selection is a very interesting subject, different selection criteria for different results.
When selecting for early finish, you would be selecting the earliest/ fastest males.
Of course this only gives you part of the picture, progeny testing your selected males will give you your answers.
When talking to different breeders , the earliest males are usually discarded, with the exception of males used in creating early finishing lines.
I've been working myself on early finishing outdoor lines for many years with varying results.
I've found the old early outdoor Canadian lines to be very valuable to work with.
S

BuzzardsBay said:
To me the most difficult part of breeding involves the selection of the male...For example if you are hoping to select for early finish, how do you choose a male?"

Hello BB!

Here are a couple quotes from Nevil about selecting males. Hopefully something in there will help you.

Nevil "In other words, it depends on the individual genotype of both parents. The pheno of the mother will be known to you, you have picked her as the best. Apart from reversing the males, and this only gives you limited information, you really don't know how they are going to breed. The best practice is to select males that are closest to your female in type, size, branching, leaf structure and smell and resin where possible, and then progeny test each one with your selected female. Tedious I know, but that's the job. If you are trying to stabilise a hybrid, your selections in the early stages with determine the degree of success you have later. One way of influencing the outcome is by the use of line breeding to certain elements in the pedigree while keeping the rest as an outcross, allowing for some degree of hybrid vigour, but doubling up on key elements." N.

Nevil, "You pick males that fall into the category of the pheno you seek. This varies according to type. I certainly would never have picked a late male EP in 20 gens. I also wouldn't pick the earliest NH male, wrong pheno." N.

Nevil, "Generally you need to test males to discover their worth. It's not that they are better. They are just harder to find. Even reversing the males sex will only give you so much info. Yield is the hardest to determine without testing. Using a group of males is often the best ppl can do when there is no time or space to test them. N

Info can be found in this thread: https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/threads/breeding-techniques.5559/

Longball

Back