More Hermie Issues

furtive

Ive had a pack of these in the fridge for a good few years, probably bought them in 12/13 ish. I read various reports about hermies and ignored them.

4.5 weeks in flower one plant has loads of bananas and was killed yesterday. I have two more shark shock and a few critical widow in flower and am praying they havent been pollinated. Its going to be no fun obsessively checking them over the next few weeks.

I have about 200 more Mr nice seeds in the fridge and no longer have any desire to flower them.

Ive had a pack of these in the fridge for a good few years, probably bought them in 12/13 ish. I read various reports about hermies and ignored them.

4.5 weeks in flower one plant has loads of bananas and was killed yesterday. I have two more shark shock and a few critical widow in flower and am praying they havent been pollinated. Its going to be no fun obsessively checking them over the next few weeks.

I have about 200 more Mr nice seeds in the fridge and no longer have any desire to flower them.

That stinks. I am sad to hear of your bad experience w/ shark shock as I gifted my friend a pack of shark shock recently, and they are going to flower soon. I will tell them to be mindful.

I have shared cuts with people that do not hermaphrodite for me, but do for them in otherwise healthy environments where plants do not normally don't express hermaphroditism and the opposite way.. I am of the opinion 90+ percent of all cannabis plants can be triggered to express hermaphroditism. I have a rambling thread posted about my thoughts on the matter.

What kind of fertilizers and additives are you using? if you don't mind me asking. I have found that some plants love to be grown in organics and/or silly high ppm synthetics but will get very unhappy w/ low ppm synthetics, and plants like Subcools Dairy Queen; most phenotypes hate being in organics, but are happy in soilless media w/ low ppm synthetics, and thrives in low ppm hydro. the DQ expresses this unhappiness as poor growth, some express it as hermaphroditism.

sorry for being wordy.

Hermies happen . In my flower situation outdoors I can have a hermie show occasionally across all breeders/strains. It is in the genetics of cannabis. Removing lower branches can reduce the risk as those are more likely to throw a male flower or 2.
Even seeded weed is smokeable not ideal but hey if life gives you a lemon make lemonade.

That stinks. I am sad to hear of your bad experience w/ shark shock as I gifted my friend a pack of shark shock recently, and they are going to flower soon. I will tell them to be mindful.

I have shared cuts with people that do not hermaphrodite for me, but do for them in otherwise healthy environments where plants do not normally don't express hermaphroditism and the opposite way.. I am of the opinion 90+ percent of all cannabis plants can be triggered to express hermaphroditism. I have a rambling thread posted about my thoughts on the matter.

What kind of fertilizers and additives are you using? if you don't mind me asking. I have found that some plants love to be grown in organics and/or silly high ppm synthetics but will get very unhappy w/ low ppm synthetics, and plants like Subcools Dairy Queen; most phenotypes hate being in organics, but are happy in soilless media w/ low ppm synthetics, and thrives in low ppm hydro. the DQ expresses this unhappiness as poor growth, some express it as hermaphroditism.

sorry for being wordy.

90? I'd argue 100 because it is a plant that will herm for survival reasons. If that wasn't the case STS wouldn't work.

As usual, pictures would be helpful.
They say stress is a killer. However under normal condtions, most well-bred plants will stay in their lane..
...Removing lower branches can reduce the risk as those are more likely to throw a male flower or 2...
Trimming/pruning lower branches should in many situations be considered de rigueur. This certainly helps your top end too!

🤙Mu

maybe your grow conditions are the probleme
i got the same trouble with the g13widow test
in the same condition the master kush mango haze or g13skunk was with out troubles

try another strain

if you got again the same problem is from the environement that comming

90? I'd argue 100 because it is a plant that will herm for survival reasons. If that wasn't the case STS wouldn't work.
well yeah, I am bad with words even though I am wordy. listen to people like Nspecta, and Matt riot talk about making feminized seeds, as they are more open and share more in recorded formats on the subject. some plants are even difficult to make create viable pollen w/ STS some plants are not self fertile when selfed w/ STS. I know many people do not like Matt Riot, but we all have to suck up our dislikes to learn sometimes.

Plants like MAC 1 caps cut take alot of work to make them express hermaphroditism from natural stressors, and I had a delicious seeds cotton candy(before it was cotton candy kush) that wouldn't hermie no matter how mean I was to it over the many generations I was mean to it on purposes to they and force the herm for the sake of learning what plants hate.

and lest we forget, Chemdog, sour diesel, cookie, gg4, and how many other "elite" category plants are literally hermie accidents? the cannabis genepool seems to have a habit of tieing that hermaphroditic tendency to great traits.

As usual, pictures would be helpful.
They say stress is a killer. However under normal conditions, most well-bred plants will stay in their lane..

🤙Mu

And this is why we need people who are rude to plants on purpose to document the conditions our beloved varieties will express hermaphroditism from, and share that documentation.

5 people can grow packs of seeds from the same plant, same pollen donor, and none of them will have a hermie. the 6th guy to get seeds from this scenario will be doing some different fertilizer ratio that the seed plants found stressful, and they hermie, but grower 6 took cuts, and the cuts may not hermie as the
"adult" age small clones become fully sexually mature, and no longer express the instability.

I very much hope Furtive is willing to share some of their methods and inputs so we all can avoid doing those things to Shark shock in the future, and if they kept clones, can prevent it from happening again to them.

I checked over the remaining plants last night. No bananas on 9 plants . Checked over the Hermie found bananas on many spots. Most of the remaining 9 look ok but I can see some spots that look seeded. The Hermie wasn't budding up as nice as the others the buds it has are scrawny, I should have took that as a cue to check it closer earlier.

Ive grown about 200 plants since 2006. I've had hermie issues twice. Once in the past with temps too high. This time everything spot on .

And you guys will still convince yourself it cant be the genetics despite multiple reports of it happening with seeds from that time period all over the internet. I know that because that's what I did when I read those reports before I grew this.

The critical widow look nice by the way. It will be a shame if they are seeded. Especially as I need to stop growing for summer and it will be all the bud I have till Xmas.

Last edited:
...And you guys will still convince yourself it cant be the genetics despite multiple reports of it happening with seeds from that time period all over the internet. I know that because that's what I did when I read those reports before I grew this.

I am not hearing that. I'm hearing members acknowledging that hermaphroditism may and does occur. Members are going through the checklist eliminating possible environmental factors that might influence this condition. They are asking that you share your experience so that we may all learn. Others are wondering what you will do with the 200 MNS seeds you "no longer desire to flower."
Nothing any of us can do about seeds purchased from 2012 that you are currently growing today. As with any kind of seed, I would suggest purchasing and growing current stock. Say, I noticed you have only been a member since Feb. of this year. Where have you been hiding lol? Considering the circumstances and as suggested earlier, a discussion with Shanti is your best bet.

🤙Mu

It’s not the genetics (by which your indirectly saying the breeding) unless your saying it’s the genetics of Cannabaceae. Nothing to convince ourselves about. I can get any seed you choose to herm. Im fairly confident I can also suppress that trait from most if not all that show it.

Last edited:
How many of you have had one plant turn badly hermie in a room of 10 and it be down to enviroment? In the same setup where you had no such issues previously?

ive been "hiding" knowhere. I signed up in feb to look for info on the strains i had started. I mentioned i have hundreds of mr nice seeeds. I also have hundreds of seeds from other breeders. I took me a few years to get round to these. Ive no interest in replacement beans because they would be at the back of the list anyway.

How many of you have had one plant turn badly hermie in a room of 10 and it be down to enviroment? In the same setup where you had no such issues previously?

ive been "hiding" knowhere. I signed up in feb to look for info on the strains i had started. I mentioned i have hundreds of mr nice seeeds. I also have hundreds of seeds from other breeders. I took me a few years to get round to these. Ive no interest in replacement beans because they would be at the back of the list anyway.
because I often grow organic, and I do grow lots of poly hybrids I do experience that quite often from big(2-3 packs at a time, big from a home scale) seed runs from lots of breeders. I will often have 1 or 2 plants get really angry at being grown in freshly mixed or freshly amended soil. and pop out some hermie flowers, clones of those plants often do not express hermaphroditism in the second use soil and once in awhile I find a straight up hermaphrodite in normal conditions. once in awhile, I do plant an actual real 2 gender cannabis plant and its fucking weird. strangest plants I have seen. since I started in 2009 I have grown 3.

I just want to know your SOP so I can tell my friend who has 9 shark shock girls he sexed a few weeks ago, can not do any of the things you do as normal, that pissed this variety off.

I am of the opinion that less than 1% of cannabis plants ever to germinate are truly single gendered because of the I'm gonna say about a hundred seed variety and 15 clone varietals I have had, I have been able to force all but one plant of all them to hermie through either stress experiments or mistakes.

I had a space queen clone for a few years. wouldn't hermaphrodite out unless my flower room got to 95 degrees F, this was before I had an Ac unit. otherwise, you could light leak it, over fertilize, starve it, girdle it, drown it, make it wilty as fuck and almost kill it from dehydration in flower, and wouldn't toss a banana out.

for example. cali connections tahoe og. I grew 60 feminized seeds. no hermies. until I purposefully stressed a round of clones w/ light stress to see what would happen. 3 days later they were popping bananas. The MAC 1 caps cut, took 3 weeks of continual nightly light leaks to put out some hermie flowers.

I can't do or say anything to make you feel better. I am new to this genepool too. I want your knowledge and experience to add to my research notes. and warn my friend who is excited. I appreciate you sharing this information. Thank you for doing so.

all I know is that we as growers can plant the occasional hermaphrodite because cannabis will do what it wants to propagate. I know someone who keeps pollen in the freezer to paint up a lower branch w/ some pollen and he swears it stops the hermaphroditism problems on a variety he has had for 15 years. Cannabis needs to be legal so more university level research on this subject and many others can be done.\

Sorry if this was disjointed from editing.

So in the interest of fairness, i wanted to come back and update on the rest of the crop.

They did, to quote musashi, 'stay in their lane'. I chopped them at 9 weeks (a week too early imho but the weather was closing in on me and room starting to get too hot). The sharkshock and the critical widow are very nice! There is some randomness and one or two weak phenos but overall i am very happy with the results. Ive found a seed or two but most of the crop is fine.

I will run Critical Widow again, i will run more of my Mr Nice beans in future, i might even eventually run the rest of the sharkshock despite the hermie issue as the bud is very nice and probably beats the CW.

I would like to apologise if my attitude at the time of posting upset anyone. I was having a bad time at the time and the hermie and the thought of losing the crop sent me over edge.

someone asked for info about my setup but i didnt come to read the replies at the time so its a little late but they were run all organic in soil with biobizz feeds under a 600w HPS.

Last edited:
So in the interest of fairness, i wanted to come back and update on the rest of the crop.

They did, to quote musashi, 'stay in their lane'. I chopped them at 9 weeks (a week too early imho but the weather was closing in on me and room starting to get too hot). The sharkshock and the critical widow are very nice! There is some randomness and one or two weak phenos but overall i am very happy with the results. Ive found a seed or two but most of the crop is fine.

I will run Critical Widow again, i will run more of my Mr Nice beans in future, i might even eventually run the rest of the sharkshock despite the hermie issue as the bud is very nice and probably beats the CW.

I would like to apologise if my attitude at the time of posting upset anyone. I was having a bad time at the time and the hermie and the thought of losing the crop sent me over edge.

someone asked for info about my setup but i didnt come to read the replies at the time so its a little late but they were run all organic in soil with biobizz feeds under a 600w HPS.
Attitude can be expected when our patients are pushed.👌👍
Nice one for honest reply and updating.

Happy to hear there was minimal seeding.. and thank you for clarifying the situation. And I totally understand your feeling when you found the hermie.
However those seeds you got there may be something special possible in them .

Back