Mardi Gras

musashi

Site Moderator
Staff member
I always wanted to go to Mardi Gras. Has anyone been? Care to share your experience?

šŸ¤™Mu

Mardi Gras Shrimp
4 lb. (one box) shrimp, peeled if desired
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup sliced onions
1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce
4 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Juice of 4 lemons
2 tsp. black pepper
3 tsp. chopped parsley
1 tsp. red pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 1/2 tsp. rosemary
1 1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 can beer

Mix all ingredients except butter and oil in a large bowl and let marinate for one hour.
Heat butter and oil in a large, heavy skillet and add all ingredients.
SautƩ until shrimp are pink and done, usually about 7 to 8 minutes.
Remove shrimp to a heated serving dish and cover.
Reduce liquid in skillet by 1/2 or until thick.
Pour over shrimp and eat hot.

I always wanted to go to Mardi Gras. Has anyone been? Care to share your experience?

šŸ¤™Mu

Mardi Gras Shrimp
4 lb. (one box) shrimp, peeled if desired
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup sliced onions
1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce
4 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Juice of 4 lemons
2 tsp. black pepper
3 tsp. chopped parsley
1 tsp. red pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 1/2 tsp. rosemary
1 1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 can beer

Mix all ingredients except butter and oil in a large bowl and let marinate for one hour.
Heat butter and oil in a large, heavy skillet and add all ingredients.
SautƩ until shrimp are pink and done, usually about 7 to 8 minutes.
Remove shrimp to a heated serving dish and cover.
Reduce liquid in skillet by 1/2 or until thick.
Pour over shrimp and eat hot.
badass!add some crawfish tails with the shrimp like a Cajun hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Throw me something, mister!"

Crawfish Enchiladas con Queso ~P. Prudhomme
Ā½ pound butter
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup canned green chiles, drained and chopped
Ā¾ cup chopped green bell pepper
2Ā¾ teaspoon salt
2Ā¾ teaspoon white pepper
1Ā½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
Ā¾ teaspoon oregano leaves
Ā½ minced garlic
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup sour cream

8 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
2 pounds peeled crawfish
2/3 cup chopped green onions
Ā½ cup vegetable oil
20 (6-inch) corn tortillas

Saute 1st part of veggies and spices. Hold back some of the spice amounts for later. Medium heat 10 minutes. Add heavy cream and bring to boil, reduce heat while stirring constantly. Metal whisk in the sour cream unless dissolved. Continue heat. Add 3 cups cheese. Heated until melted, then set aside.
Using the rest of the butter, sautƩ crawfish with green onions, some salt, some red and white pepper, some oregano. 6 minutes. Add the cheese sauce and simmer a few minutes.
Pre-soften tortillas by immersing in hot oil for a few seconds. Drain them on a paper towel. Fill each tortilla with the cheese sauce, roll up, placing seam down. Cover the whole lot with the rest of the cheese. Bake 350 degrees until cheese melted.

šŸ¤™Mu

Never had crawfish but that sounds pretty dam good Mu.

Also never been to Mardi Gras but seen plenty of footage šŸ¤£
If you are not cool with cracking them open and eating the head innards, just buy frozen shelled tails. that is what I do as I dislike wasting the brain half

Our crawfish are called Morton Bay bugs (bugmeat) not my cooking, itā€™s a downloaded pic..

View attachment 49493View attachment 49494
Looks more like a slipper lobster than crayfish..... Crayfish live in fresh water, slipper lobster in the sea....both are delicious anyway... I love seafood.
A dozen oysters good bread with salted butter and a bottle of Chablis is all what I need to be happy šŸ˜‹

Last edited:
File Gumbo

1 cup all-purpose flour
Ā¾ cup bacon drippings
1 cup coarsely chopped celery
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
3 quarts water
6 cubes beef bouillon
1 tablespoon white sugar
salt to taste
2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as TabascoĀ®), or to taste
Ā½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend (such as Tony Chachere'sĀ®), or to taste
4 bay leaves
Ā½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
4 teaspoons file powder, divided
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen cut okra, thawed
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 pound lump crabmeat
3 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Make a roux by whisking the flour and 3/4 cup bacon drippings together in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat to form a smooth mixture. Cook the roux, whisking constantly, until it turns a rich mahogany brown color. This can take 20 to 30 minutes; watch heat carefully and whisk constantly or roux will burn. Remove from heat; continue whisking until mixture stops cooking.

Place the celery, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic into the work bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the vegetables are very finely chopped. Stir the vegetables into the roux, and mix in the sausage. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.

Bring the water and beef bouillon cubes to a boil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Stir until the bouillon cubes dissolve, and whisk the roux mixture into the boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer, and mix in the sugar, salt, hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer the soup over low heat for 1 hour; mix in 2 teaspoons of file gumbo powder at the 45-minute mark.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in a skillet, and cook the okra with vinegar over medium heat for 15 minutes; remove okra with slotted spoon, and stir into the simmering gumbo. Mix in crabmeat, shrimp, and Worcestershire sauce, and simmer until flavors have blended, 45 more minutes. Just before serving, stir in 2 more teaspoons of file gumbo powder.
~ from allrecipes.com

šŸ¤™Mu

Looks more like a slipper lobster than crayfish..... Crayfish live in fresh water, slipper lobster in the sea....both are delicious anyway... I love seafood.
A dozen oysters good bread with salted butter and a bottle of Chablis is all what I need to be happy šŸ˜‹
yeah their slipper crays.. had a Cajun mate mention the bugs to me, must have got wires crossed thinking they were same.. Are crawfish, yabbies? We fish for them in dams.

File Gumbo

1 cup all-purpose flour
Ā¾ cup bacon drippings
1 cup coarsely chopped celery
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
3 quarts water
6 cubes beef bouillon
1 tablespoon white sugar
salt to taste
2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as TabascoĀ®), or to taste
Ā½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend (such as Tony Chachere'sĀ®), or to taste
4 bay leaves
Ā½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
4 teaspoons file powder, divided
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen cut okra, thawed
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 pound lump crabmeat
3 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Make a roux by whisking the flour and 3/4 cup bacon drippings together in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat to form a smooth mixture. Cook the roux, whisking constantly, until it turns a rich mahogany brown color. This can take 20 to 30 minutes; watch heat carefully and whisk constantly or roux will burn. Remove from heat; continue whisking until mixture stops cooking.

Place the celery, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic into the work bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the vegetables are very finely chopped. Stir the vegetables into the roux, and mix in the sausage. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.

Bring the water and beef bouillon cubes to a boil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Stir until the bouillon cubes dissolve, and whisk the roux mixture into the boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer, and mix in the sugar, salt, hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer the soup over low heat for 1 hour; mix in 2 teaspoons of file gumbo powder at the 45-minute mark.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in a skillet, and cook the okra with vinegar over medium heat for 15 minutes; remove okra with slotted spoon, and stir into the simmering gumbo. Mix in crabmeat, shrimp, and Worcestershire sauce, and simmer until flavors have blended, 45 more minutes. Just before serving, stir in 2 more teaspoons of file gumbo powder.
~ from allrecipes.com

šŸ¤™Mu
Too "americanized" for me.... Too many ingredients....I like cooking that respect the product....(real) Japanese cooking is the best for me in that point of view.

Too "americanized" for me.... Too many ingredients....I like cooking that respect the product....(real) Japanese cooking is the best for me in that point of view.
You are talking my language. Growing up on the island, I was raised on fish, veggies and fruit. Weā€™d go to the open market about every day to get ingredients for japanese, filipino, korean food. Never knew a burritto or taco til we moved to the mainland. Iā€™ll eat sushi and katsu don any day of the week!

šŸ¤™Mu

Musashi, loving the recipes. We got a chair that is designated as ā€œthe roux chairā€, cause itā€™s tall enough that one can sit down and stir the pot while youā€™re at the stove.

Mardi Gras is definitely a very special holiday here, also in the Caribbean and parts of Latin America. I havenā€™t been to any in Europe, Iā€™m sure they get down there as well. It is officially the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, but itā€™s more like the whole Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon leading up to Fat Tuesday. If you get a chance to go, Iā€™d recommend trying to get there for at least a few days.

Itā€™s complete and utter madness, in a good way. Costumes are basically required, and the more over-the-top, the better. Oall the things to see and take in, the creativity of the costumes is probably my favorite aspect. The Mardi Gras Indians put so much pride and time into their costumes itā€™s nuts.

Parades roll all weekend, and itā€™s hell trying to get around the city to meet up with friends while a random and rotating section is always closed off to motor traffic. Some are ā€œfoot paradesā€ that donā€™t have floats, you walk the route slowly and dance and have a ball, they are my preferred ones. Otherwise you post up to get a good spot to watch the floats pass by as you scream and try to keep any of the beads and other shit they throw from smoking you in the face.

The whole city is blind drunk. Can be really fun, but I would hate to be DD.

This year the Mayor of NOLA canceled all parades all weekend. The freak ice/rain/wind storm everybody got a fat dose off arrived right on time, further scattering the masses. But you canā€™t keep a good city down, and Iā€™m glad to know that the hardcoreā€™s where still out there partying. I was at home, with the whole family in costumes, shaking our booties to the marching band music cranked up to 11.

I swear my hangover will last longer than lent.

Last edited:
Aloha brah!
A roux chair! How cool is that! I saw a show recently of Mardi Gras in Guadeloupe. I wanna go! šŸ¤™Mu
0848196A-B50E-4023-A4D8-EA7839E29F8D.jpeg

for @Tom bolenate
Chicken Adobo
2# chicken thighs
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2-3/4 cup soy sauce
Handful of black peppercorns
Lots of garlic
Bring mixture to boil, add chicken, simmer 50-60 minutes. Serve on rice. Add ginger for variation

Aloha brah!
A roux chair! How cool is that! I saw a show recently of Mardi Gras in Guadeloupe. I wanna go! šŸ¤™Mu
View attachment 49537

for @Tom bolenate
Chicken Adobo
2# chicken thighs
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2-3/4 cup soy sauce
Handful of black peppercorns
Lots of garlic
Bring mixture to boil, add chicken, simmer 50-60 minutes. Serve on rice. Add ginger for variation
Hi @musashi,

Guess what's for dinner today? šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š
IMG_20210220_163414_compress56.jpg

Back