Mango x Widow

Pepe Le Pew

OK, as there has been a lot of debate on the subject i thought i would start this thread by describing my seed routine as i believe it shows how fickle seeds can sometimes be. so lets get to it then,The Mango x Widow ( MxW) came with 20 seeds as they were a 'limited edition' so i initially started the first 10, seeds were soaked in filtered water with the addition of Maxicrop liquid seaweed at 2 or 3 mls per litre for 24 hours, NO LONGER! Using a small tray of moistened Canna Coir all seeds were placed into ¼ inch deep holes, gently covered over with coir and given a light spray with seaweed liquid water (same ratio) to avoid air pockets around the seeds, the seed-tray was placed into a heated prop tray with the cover on and placed under a 125Watt Eco-Light (Envirolite 'ish). By the second day in the prop tray 3 had emerged and were transplanted into single pots and placed back into the heated tray while they settled in, then......... nothing?, after 3 more days i decided to see if there was an sign of life but none of the other 7 seeds showed any signs of life, i was pretty disappointed!, the first 3 had emerged in a matter of hours so i was really hopeful. I got thinking i had better start the other 10 to ensure i end up with at least a few females if i was only going to get 30% success, i was secretly hoping i had jumped the gun and would end up with almost all seeds sprouting and then end up with too many ( if such a thing exists?). I started the second 10, no change whatsoever in the routine but with very differant results, this time by the second day in the prop tray i had 8 of the second 10 up, still no more of the first 10 had emerged, by day 6 in the prop tray the last 2 of the second 10 showed up, It is now 3 weeks from the start of this grow and as of today i have had no more emerge, i used the self same method for both sets of seeds and cannot for the life of me explain why i would get such different results from the same batch, i almost certain the seeds were fine, if we assume only 13 of 20 were ever viable!, the odds of me splitting them and have 10 of them in one group is astronomical!. As i said at the start seeds are fickle!, sometimes it just doesn't go the way you would wish and you just cannot say what went wrong.
So in conclusion i started 20 seeds in two lots :-
1st lot 3/10 = 30% success rate
2nd lot 10/10 =100% success rate

As i was only feeding with very weak Canna Coir nutrient a couple of plants showed signs of Mag deficit, they have been foliar fed Epsom salts and are now back to full health
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
Below, time to re-pot!
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
The plants have the growing tip removed (topped) after the second set of true leaves, the top two shoots are topped again to make 4 main colas while the lower shoots will be taken as clones for later selection of a MxW mother, some people wait until later to top or otherwise train the growth but i always start them at the second set, i'm sure it helps to keep the plants short and thickens the stem, i also believe while the plant is sorting out it's hormones to resume top growth it can put much more energy into the root system with all the benefits that brings, by getting this done early it also gives the plants that much more time to recover and be growing flat out before flowering begins.

The plants have now been topped twice and placed into 5" pots for the veg cycle.
Below, plants in 'veg' pots
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
Below, one of three 'freaks'
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
Please excuse the picture quality, the first two i took with a joke camera and the second two i used a better camera but i am useless with it, i'll try harder next time i post

Last edited:
Looking good PLP,
Ive worked with the MW long enough now that I can recognize her when I see her. Im a big fan of this hybrid, Ive probably grown her 4-5 times now.

Keep us updated mate.

Last edited:
good stuff mate

do you mind if i sit and watch from here:)

Thanks lads

Hey Jesse and Herb, thanks for stopping by guy's :), Will do Jessie, Herb, you make yourself comfy where you are buddy, Pepè

Last edited:
ta mate

as you may gather over time im a bit slow in the upstairs department

anyway my silly Q is
wat is the genetic makeup of the mango in the mxww mix

nice one, i thourght so

it was one of them facts that i thourght i made up :)

ta mate

Quote from Herbmister - nice one, i thought so, it was one of them facts that i thought i made up :)
Good to see i'm not the only one that does that Herb :D

Yo Pepe, that's a slick avatar :D

Check out this thread:
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=582 <--- 'hazy haze' thread LOADED with strain info.
Then bump it :) Shout out L33t, hempy, herbalizor and anyone involved putting that crazieness together.

Got roots!?!?! Those are happy lil buggers :D Lookin forward to the show!

Cheers B'

Hiya B', Thanks my friend, good to see you here,:) i'll pop and read/bump that thread now bud, catch you later eh, Pepè

Back