Light Neon Green vs. Dark Forrest Green?

BullDogDad

Just a question out of pure curiosity. Does anyone have any idea why some herb after being dried and cured gets that light neon green color and other herb gets dark Forrest green? What causes it? Strain? How it's grown? What it's fed? Personally I love the bag appeal of some bright ass neon green weed!

You guys ever make hay? Same sort of biochemical process. The same odors are given off when curing hay or pot. Same good sweet smells when done correctly, same bad sour smells when done improperly. Similar target moisture content as well. Color change is generally the result of fermentation and or cellular breakdown from light and heat. Avoid light, heat and excessive moisture when curing and you are good. I let the stems dry until they snap cleanly, then I tote them up and monitor moisture content intently. Too much moisture at the tote stage and brown weed soon follows.

Re

Thanks for the info on how you dry/cure your nugs. I have my dry and cure down. I focus more on qualities while drying so I don't really pay attention to temp or RH. The nugs tell me when they are ready to move to jars. I go straight from hanging to jars. I was more curious of why some herb cures up to a bright neon green and some a dark green. I always hang then in the dark at room temp. I live in a very dry climate so that's a non issue.

To try and answer the first question i would say it has a lot to do with the strain and also a lot to do with how much/little Nitrogen the plants got whilst growing hence the notice in colour change at the curing stage as the chemicals break down.

Variety has most to do with it. When choosing between a few of the same variety you may choose which appearance you like most. But this is the norm on selection. Have you noticed how equatorial varieties are lighter green on early growth... Search for you light to lime green foliage early on and this will help your bag appeal. Sativa varieties that are coastal tent to do this a bit more than say a thai from highlands. Look around the other side and you may see Acapulco gold or Columbian gold carry the look of your desire. Best of Luck.:)

i like the white/silver look the neon green works too
not so keen on those very dark leaves popping out of a bud
i will remove those offending leaves before i smoke a nug

11.jpg

1.jpg

this is a nice colour ^
skunk strains often have the neon green look i find

peace

The pics aren't showing up. All my skunks have cured to a rather dark shade of green.

i find that all the broken pics on this forum including the thumbnail pics that appear then vanish in old threads seem to work if you view them in a new tab or new page
a well known example would be cheese, this is neon green and also skunk

hope this helps

11.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
Back