Legalizing and Taxing MJ Would Ease State's Woes

Bonetwister

Legalizing and Taxing MJ Would Ease State's Woes
Posted by CN Staff on April 26, 2007 at 11:44:34 PT
By Greg Francisco
Source: Kalamazoo Gazette

cannabis MI -- Michigan is in deep financial trouble. That's common knowledge. Drastic times call for drastic solutions. That should be obvious, too. So, should we slash spending even further or raise taxes higher yet? Hard choices, either way.

There is a third option, however, that would both dramatically cut spending and raise large sums of new tax revenue.

The only question is, do the politicos in Michigan have the courage our grandparents demonstrated 75 years ago when faced with similar financial and criminal crisis? Legalize, tax and regulate marijuana.

Marijuana is the third most valuable cash crop in Michigan today, trailing only corn and soybeans. According to official U.S. government statistics, the annual value of the Michigan marijuana crop is $350 million. Marijuana worth an additional $250 million is imported and sold in the state every year. That's $600 million in commerce.

All tax-free.

Every year Michigan collectively spends more than $158 million spread across police, court and corrections budgets to enforce marijuana prohibition -- money that could be spent to restore road, school and health care budgets.

And what are we getting for that investment?

Snipped:

Complete Article: http://tinyurl.com/2yzuj6

Source: Kalamazoo Gazette (MI)
Author: Greg Francisco
Published: Thursday, April 26, 2007
Copyright: 2007 Kalamazoo Gazette

Take the third option,
$158 million in one state for prohibition is plain crazy.
Schools,hospitals,training for a job is a much better use for taxpayers money,not to enforce an unjust manmade law.
I think the $$$$$$$$ will soon 'corrupt' the powers that be,and not just oil will be makin the fat cats fat,nice world we live in hey folk,
We have the power to change it,and we will oneday.peace all.

taxing homegrown cannabis is like taxing homegrown tomatos...
who would set the standard? who would set the prices,who would regulate the industry?
the same government officals who try to throw your butt in jail for growing it now?
Cannabis should be regulated just like homegrown produce or homemade wine...
just leave it the fuck alone I say!
Now if you have a Legal Buisness then it should be done like any other
Legal Tax Paying Buisness...

I think we have too much government regulation now,and they still muck it up everytime they get the chance...whatever happened to common sense?
I strongly Feel that ALL government should Stay out of the cannabis industry and let Free Enterprise take over just like Home Grown Tomatoes...
If you have a market ,then fill the demand...if you make a profit,then pay your taxes...

my 2 cents

peace

I agree with what your saying Scorpion,but does the produce not need to be free before it can enter into free enterprise?
Forgive me if i dont understand how free enterpise works,for a product to be legal it needs rules and regulations(gov set i know)but surley ploughing all them $$$$$ into prohibition is not the common sense approach.
And i know what so called gov can fuck up,they do it to innocent people everyday,but i would rather live in a world where mj is legal,no stigma attached to producing your own at home,and yes pay taxes if making a profit.
I know it would be the same twats settin the rules(who throw ya in jail now)but i would allways go down the path of legal medicinal weed everytime.Anyway i hope your are well.peace later mate

Back